AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-03-11, 00:56   Link #61
Trespur

Listening to a song today (Dusting Down the Stars by Mobile) made me think of this thread. Particularly the line, "The choice is yours, you can take your life, you fight for something more." This really hit me and reminded me of who I used to be (and something I still battle constantly). My freshman year of high school I was an anti-social reject. I had no friends at school, had major anger problems, was overweight, and was very unhappy and depressed. The only thing I had going for me was very high grades as all I ever really did was homework and play video games. I was so apathetic to everything else, even basic human interaction (though I had internet "friends").

Near the end of my freshman year I realized I needed to change something. I met up with an old classmate I had known since 4th grade and asked him to introduce me to his friends. From there and into sophmore year, I gained a social circle but I was still fat and had anger problems. Plus, I only ever saw these people at school and never outside of school. I took more steps my junior year, I joined the cross country and track teams and got in shape. I dropped a lot of weight and had a ton of fun. I also stopped being so angry and chilled out, also gained my sense of humor that year. My senior year I started to hang out with people outside of class, and got even more involved with XC (made a movie for the team to chronicle our state-winning season). I got into a good college with a scholarship and just chilled with my friends over the summer. I have met a lot of great people here (and some not-so-great ones *glares at room mate*) and experienced a lot of new things. It took me two months to go out to a party but I was glad I did.

There are still many things I haven't done yet. Never kissed a girl, never gone on a date, have no clue what major to pick (we don't pick till sophomore year), and am struggling a bit with my classes right now (might just be the classes). But you know what? I'm not giving up. I'm fighting for these things. Just like I started fighting at the end of my freshman year. There have been MANY times when I've wanted to just give up. I've woken up and not wanted to get out of bed because nothing seemed interesting or worth it anymore. Sometimes it gets the best of me for that day or even a week or two. Then I remember that I just need to push forward. I stop worrying about how nothing interests me and DO something even if it seems like I won't like it. Eventually I start to get my drive for life back, I just need to keep pushing through and eventually it comes back. Fake it till you make it.

So, even if it seems like nothing interests you anymore or there's no point, even if you've suffered tremendously (losing a loved one), yes, it WILL hurt, but you have to push beyond the pain or apathy and keep trying. No matter how much it seems like doing something won't change anything, go out and DO IT. Keep doing things until something gets you out of that depressed state. How are you ever going to find what can help you out of this state if you don't do anything? Trial and error. Realize that it won't all suddenly become perfect and happy. I've slowly grown over the years and I realize I won't ever stop. Maybe you just need to slow down and focus on one thing at a time.

My current life philosophy is to keep an open mind because there are so many experiences to live and things to learn. I try not to limit myself to one overarching belief and realize that life is incredibly complex and dynamic; it's almost impossible to try to explain it all. I see life as an open journey ahead of me and I just need to keep trying things and see where that journey will lead. And this journey will continue for as long as I live. I'm incredibly excited by this way of viewing life (probably just me) because I never know what might happen later in the journey. The journey might take some bad turns or some awesome ones but I know that the WORST journey is one that goes nowhere, when you don't do anything to make that journey move forward.

However, I do realize there are some that can't do this. Those people with severe depression (clinical depression) need the meds and therapy.
Trespur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-26, 06:48   Link #62
KimmyChan

My mum suffers from depression unfortunately, as does my boyfriend's mum
KimmyChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-27, 06:17   Link #63
Sinfully Naomi
Teddytears
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Sinfully Naomi
I hate it when people say to me.

"Hey, just be happy!"

If I had a choice to not be depressed, do you think I would be? >.<

Ugh, it's so annoying that people tend to think depression and normal sadness are the same thing, when they're NOT!
Old 2009-03-27, 06:23   Link #64
KimmyChan

I'm totally hearing you there Sinfully Naomi, it's not fair for people to do or say that at all
Old 2009-03-27, 07:02   Link #65
Throne Invader
Protecting the Throne

When facing depression, listening to soothing music can do wonders. I myself prefer classical music. Usually music played by a piano or violin. And sometimes I play the music myself.

It's time to start letting her make her own decisions. - Mom's dermatologist~
Throne Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-27, 11:12   Link #66
Sinfully Naomi
Teddytears
*Graphic Designer

Music most definitely helps when you're in a bad mood. But eveyrone's depression is different, when I'm depressed, I tend to listen to sad music, and it actually helps me out of it faster. Don't ask me how it works, it just does, as opposed to someone who has to listen to very happy and upbeat music to get out of it.

There are various ways to help yourself. I woul recommend anti-depressants as a last resort, though.
Old 2009-03-27, 14:02   Link #67
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

I suffered depresion once, mostly because familiar problems, those were really hard times, you feel alone and that no one really understeands you.

The point is, that depresion only afects you when you allow it to afects you, sometimes you're so closed inside a room of problems and bad things that you don't take the time to see the good things of life, even worse, depresion not only afects you but also the people around you that apreciate and estimate you.

There is only opne solution, smile, pass good time with your friends and family and put all this problems on a little box and take them only when you're ready to resolve them and confront them, the only thing withjout solution in this life is the death.
Old 2009-03-31, 08:48   Link #68
KimmyChan

Whenever I'm feeling low or down, I find a really good cry always makes me feel better

I also choose to open up to my boyfriend about however I may be feeling aswell

I'm the kind of person who can't NOT show her emotions whenever they crop up
Old 2009-03-31, 10:03   Link #69
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

If you suspect something, seek professional advice and help. Please.
Old 2009-03-31, 11:01   Link #70
christine_cute
A total anime freak^^

When i first got in depression......I used to be alone sitting in a corner and cry a lot.......but my elder brother was always there for me and he helped me to get out of it....

Well the reason for my depression was my introvert personality ...I would collect all the sadness in my heart.........but now(thanks to my bro & friends) I have really become outgoing and extrovert.....
christine_cute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-31, 11:18   Link #71
Throne Invader
Protecting the Throne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine247 View Post
When i first got in depression......I used to be alone sitting in a corner and cry a lot.......but my elder brother was always there for me and he helped me to get out of it....

Well the reason for my depression was my introvert personality ...I would collect all the sadness in my heart.........but now(thanks to my bro & friends) I have really become outgoing and extrovert.....

That's really nice.. Although becoming an extrovert can be quite hard for an introvert, it's good you pulled it off.

It's time to start letting her make her own decisions. - Mom's dermatologist~
Throne Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 10:12   Link #72
chanchan21609
Lalala..

When I Got Into Depression, I Would Always Watch Anime. Somehow, I Forget All The Problems. But I Dont Think This Is Good. It Feels Like, I'm Running Away Or Something. I Don't Even Know What I Would Do.
chanchan21609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 12:36   Link #73
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanchan21609 View Post
When I Got Into Depression, I Would Always Watch Anime. Somehow, I Forget All The Problems. But I Dont Think This Is Good. It Feels Like, I'm Running Away Or Something. I Don't Even Know What I Would Do.
Thats actually what happened to me, I had depression caused by severe anxiety, and i turned to anime for an escape, but it didnt help much, infact it made things worse because i didnt enjoy it like i usually do ( part of the reason i made this thread) apart from doing regular things such as exercising, eating right etc (these things help fight anxiety/depression a lottt) you have to face your problems head on, atleast with worries etc. because in that state, once its started it wont stop, thinking it away doesnt work, you cant run away from it. recognizing that you're just naturally anxious all the time, and stopping yourself from unnecessarily worrying in the first place is different.
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 21:01   Link #74
Sinfully Naomi
Teddytears
*Graphic Designer

IMO, Naruto isn't a really good anime to watch when you're depressed, btu I did it anyway. Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni isn't that great to watch as well in such a situation, but it was like when I was depressed, I craved more sad things, more and more, and it just got worse and worse. And I tend to take things rather seriously, so something in an anime could severely upset me....
Old 2009-04-01, 22:45   Link #75
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmoreDoll View Post
When facing depression, listening to soothing music can do wonders. I myself prefer classical music. Usually music played by a piano or violin. And sometimes I play the music myself.
Yes. Listening to music can help a lot. Actually, even if the music is sad/depressing, it can help one get out of depression by channeling the bad emotion into the art. And if you watch a really depressing movie when you're depressed, it could have the effect of making one remember that there are people whose situations are way worse.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-02, 12:18   Link #76
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Waking up at the crack of dawn and going for a jog will help. Also swimming will help.

Cozy nights in with a good book and glass of red wine will help.

Eating out will help.

Bowling, and cinema will help.

D.I.Y will help.

Hobbies will help.

I think basically keeping your mind busy and body active will help.
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 16:25   Link #77
Xvoki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay View Post
Waking up at the crack of dawn and going for a jog will help. Also swimming will help.

Cozy nights in with a good book and glass of red wine will help.

Eating out will help.

Bowling, and cinema will help.

D.I.Y will help.

Hobbies will help.

I think basically keeping your mind busy and body active will help.

No I don't think that’s true of everyone, depression is still not fully understood, nor are its causes, so preventing it is difficult. I do many of those things but it still comes on suddenly, with no reason for it to do so, and still continues to do so every few years. I describe it as a chemical imbalance, with no other cause, except that occasionally the chemicals in my brain either produce to much or to little of what chemical it is, thus causing it stop functioning as it was intended. Its an unpleasant experience, but I learned to live with it as many others do.
Xvoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 12:13   Link #78
Woodchips
つかれた!

Depression is multi-factorial and needs to be addressed by a number of factors, some of which include medication controls to help level out neurotransmitter imbalances in the brain. People, there is a big difference between depression and normal sadness.

Your GP is the first person to speak to about organising management and help for true depression, they will nut out any triggers and start appropriate therapy, whether that is medicinal in nature, or warrants a referral onto a more suitably qualified professional.

Loss of interest in things is a normal side-effect from depression. It will get better as appropriate treatment is started. If you find you're not enjoying anime, then go and do something else. Find something you enjoy, and leave anime alone for a couple of months. Ultimately who cares if you don't enjoy anime anymore? Find something you do enjoy and move on. Change is a good thing, and one day your enjoyment of it might be rekindled.

Tips for those with depression.

1. Don't brood. Brooding does nothing except make you feel miserable.

2. Get out and exercise. Regular bouts of moderate-intensity exercise has been shown to be more effective in regulating brain-chemistry than medications. (Not to say go off the meds, but use it in combination -- who knows, you may be able to wean off the meds).

3. Address any psychological issues that may be underlying depression. Chemical imbalance aside, if that remains, nothing will get solved.

4. Talk to someone. I know people have said to find a confidant, which is fine, but make sure you are not abusing that person, and using them as your own emotional dumping-ground. You don't need relationships ruined because you've emotionally drained them. There are many help lines available in many countries, use them for a change to give your confidant a break from your troubles.
Woodchips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 16:26   Link #79
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchips View Post

4. Talk to someone. I know people have said to find a confidant, which is fine, but make sure you are not abusing that person, and using them as your own emotional dumping-ground. You don't need relationships ruined because you've emotionally drained them. There are many help lines available in many countries, use them for a change to give your confidant a break from your troubles.
Thats exactly why i turned to my parents, I was actually scared of talking to my friends about it exactly because of the reasons you mentioned above ( my depression was caused by severe anxiety, so as ridiculous as it sounds thats what i thought). Its been good and bad in a way, bad because it was a tough experience, and good because its the first time in many years that I've actually started talking to my parents - they got me through the times when it was really bad.
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 00:08   Link #80
Fate21
Kiyu~

Maybe i really am depressed. I'm currently often thinking of something bad/evil, although i really don't want to do it and really hate myself because of that, but i kept thinking...
Fate21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
depression, sad