3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 4.76%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2017-07-09, 17:11   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Fate/Apocrypha - Episode 2 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Fate/Apocrypha, Episode 2.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Character bashing is not on-topic and will not be tolerated.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Kairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-09, 17:22   Link #2
bakato

As a novel reader, it's nice to see some clear attempts to smooth out the wrinkles in the story telling, but I don't know if the resulting changes will really pay off.

Last edited by bakato; 2017-07-09 at 18:22.
bakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-09, 18:06   Link #3
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
While the short temper could be an issue, certainly can respect Mordred's stance on her grail wish. Could just go to the extreme and wish for the throne. But instead just wants her crack at pulling the sword from the stone with the total confidence that she'll do it.

Certainly both sides are looking equally shady which makes it ok for anyone to lose . Says a lot when the leader of the Red side's first goal is assassinating the person there to make sure the war is balanced, whatever that really means.
Old 2017-07-09, 19:21   Link #4
Twi

Review here. Leaving aside the fact that Shirou has been getting lessons on hair care from Marik Ishtar from Yugioh, he's got that face of an angel and surname of Kotomine thing going on.

Anyway, the contrast between Mordred and her father are so vivid, yet they both had the same wish to use the grail: To go back in time to where the sword selection was happening and change the outcome. One wanted to change it so that she never became king, fearing that someone better could have led in her place, while the other believes that she would be the perfect king and should have the chance to try.

The Servants of Black are largely cool too, with Berserker being kind of moe-moe despite not largely using actual words and Jack the Ripper being a young-looking girl who cheerfully strolls through the streets after murder. I have to say though, Gordes would have been killed in the Fuyuki Grail War if he tried taking that kind of stance with his Servant, and Rider’s master was just plain creepy.

Still, next episode it looks like its going down and I can’t wait to see it.
Old 2017-07-09, 20:58   Link #5
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
I have to say though, Gordes would have been killed in the Fuyuki Grail War if he tried taking that kind of stance with his Servant.
Depends of who he would have ended up with.

Saber would be more concerned with winning the grail to really let him affect her.
Archer, Rider, and Lancer would have disliked him, but wouldn't really do anything unless he gave them a reason to.
Berserker wouldn't even be in a mindset where he could react to that stance.
Caster definitely would have killed him and I don' think I have to say what Gil would have done to him.
Old 2017-07-09, 22:03   Link #6
IceHism

Man, that ep was too quick for me. I probably enjoyed it a bit too much.

Mordred is cool but i wish there was more Jeanne this episode. Jeanne is my favorite so far and she seems way cooler here than in FGO.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-09, 22:29   Link #7
Applehell

Um, there some pretty questionable heroes summoned this time around. And Jack the Ripper is a genderbent little girl, but of course.

This was pretty much just another introductory episode and not much else. I guess next week will go finish up the setup.

The full OP is not bad, but the best thing about it is the song.

Weird enough I thought Shiro or Ruler's master were going to be the MCs, but so far the Necromancer and Mordred feel like the protagonists more than anyone else. Not that mine this however, they solid chemistry together. Which in some ways makes it more of a shame the duo decided to go lonewolf, but at least not out of nature.

Last edited by Applehell; 2017-07-09 at 23:15.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-09, 22:54   Link #8
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
Um, there some pretty questionable heroes summoned this time around. And Jack the Ripper is a genderbent little girl, but of course.
Ironically, I may let female Jack slide because at the end of the day, we don't know much about Jack's real identity (if not at all) as the murder cases were never solved. Even the name "Jack" is widely considered as given/purported by the media at the time.
Old 2017-07-09, 23:06   Link #9
Applehell

When you put that way it I can see your point. Not that this would have stop Type-Moon doing it tho

Still an extreme stretch for someone like that to be a hero.
Old 2017-07-09, 23:25   Link #10
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
When you put that way it I can see your point. Not that this would have stop Type-Moon doing it tho

Still an extreme stretch for someone like that to be a hero.
I'm sure they wouldn't have minded gender-bending either way, but I'm ok with it for the reasons above. You can basically insert anything in the role of Jack the Ripper since little is truly known about that killer. And it isn't like the Fate series hasn't pushed the line of what can be summoned in this series. They've used monsters and serial killers in previous series.

I'm kind of curious what kind of relic one would use to summon that person or if they just went pure random with the summon and that's what they got.
Old 2017-07-09, 23:40   Link #11
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

so is Jeanne supposed to be the protagonist of the show?

any who, A-1 is doing their best, and it's showing. the show is beautiful to see in motion. Mordred's character is neat. she is constantly seeking validation because Arthur only saw her as a servant.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-09, 23:45   Link #12
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I'm kind of curious what kind of relic one would use to summon that person or if they just went pure random with the summon and that's what they got.
I'm not a source-reader so I can only assume the "relic" is a piece of the remains of Jackie's victims, the murder weapon, or a piece of Jackie's body left during the murder (hair, etc). It's a magical society so I won't even question how those people got their hands on them "relics". That, or it's just a random result of summoning.
Old 2017-07-09, 23:52   Link #13
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

More important question is

How do Shakespeare fight? Summon character from his stories?
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-10, 00:06   Link #14
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I'm sure they wouldn't have minded gender-bending either way, but I'm ok with it for the reasons above. You can basically insert anything in the role of Jack the Ripper since little is truly known about that killer. And it isn't like the Fate series hasn't pushed the line of what can be summoned in this series. They've used monsters and serial killers in previous series.

I'm aware we had questionable heroic servants before, but I felt there was room for argument about them depending interpretation, but here is kind of hard to buy.

Maybe there is something wrong with the Grail...
Old 2017-07-10, 01:10   Link #15
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Well, Avenger infected the grail during the third war in the main timeline, although it's uncertain whether this also happened in the current timeline. I think not, but it all depends on whether that event happened before or after the divergence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
More important question is

How do Shakespeare fight? Summon character from his stories?
Casters who are writers or artists tend to have abilities based on emotional manipulation.

Basically, Shakespeare's "legend" is that he was able to enchant his audience through his plays. Taking "enchant" literally, rather than figuratively. The idea is that the Fate versions of these people either actually had some magical ability in life (while not an artist, Archimedes comes to mind, who in the Fate verse is assumed to have been a magus because some of his alleged inventions are impossible to reproduce through mundane means), or time and word of mouth have attributed magical abilities to them.

Last edited by Dengar; 2017-07-10 at 01:22.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-10, 01:45   Link #16
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Anything goes in Nasu-verse. Next thing we know, they'll make Jackie a hero by claiming that the hookers that she murdered were secretly vampires .

That's why I've given up in thinking too hard about these things. Just throw me a reason and I'll take it and move on .
Old 2017-07-10, 01:52   Link #17
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

You know, if you hate this show so much that you need to throw insults at it at every turn and turn every discussion sour with that kind of snark, why do you even watch it?

I mean you're basically claiming that they can bullshit their way out of anything and people will just accept it. Which is a gross oversimplification of what's going on.

Your explanation won't work in the Fate verse and you know it.

Jack the Ripper is recorded in history as one of the most memorable serial killers. That makes her rather villainous. We've had villainous servants before. Like a serial child murderer? Even before Avenger corrupted the Holy Grail, they were able to summon a being responding to the name of "all the world's evil" in the first place.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-10, 02:35   Link #18
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
You know, if you hate this show so much that you need to throw insults at it at every turn and turn every discussion sour with that kind of snark, why do you even watch it?
I don't know why you're so offended by me stating the obvious. I like Fate anime as much as I like YGO anime (see my avy & sig). And hey, Shirou in this one even has Malik Ishtar's hairdo, so that's more plus for me .

I enjoy all the absurdity of the Fate anime just like I enjoy the absurdity of Voltron, Thundercats and Transformers cartoons which all of them are beloved franchises of mine. That doesn't mean I have to treat them as gospel, sing praise of them every single time and can't make fun of them. God knows how many fun pokes I did toward the franchises that I love. Fans must know how to have fun with their objects of affection.

My posts in Apoc thread is nowhere near hating. It's not even disliking. I enjoy this anime. The servants are amusing, the character designs are appealing, the combat that's been show so far is good. You want to see me disliking something? See my latest post in the Macross Delta & Token Ranbu: Hanamaru threads .

Quote:
I mean you're basically claiming that they can bullshit their way out of anything and people will just accept it. Which is a gross oversimplification of what's going on.
Overall, I think you took the playful pokes of mine too seriously. And considering Fate fans' level of acceptance for anything Fate, it's not really hard to see them doing it.

What if I say the battles that I have seen in Apoc so far are still below the best fights in Prisma Illya which is in the same franchise? Will you also be up in arms by claiming that I'm hating this show?

Quote:
Your explanation won't work in the Fate verse and you know it.
No I don't. That depends on the writing of this particular work.

Quote:
Jack the Ripper is recorded in history as one of the most memorable serial killers. That makes her rather villainous. We've had villainous servants before. Like a serial child murderer? Even before Avenger corrupted the Holy Grail, they were able to summon a being responding to the name of "all the world's evil" in the first place.
And I'm still waiting the reasoning of why these villains in Apoc are able to be summoned by a supposed vessel that only summoned heroic spirits.

Last edited by Obelisk ze Tormentor; 2017-07-10 at 03:33. Reason: addressing wrong parts
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-10, 02:46   Link #19
Tenzen12

Mo-chan is even greater now that she is animated. She and Kairi alone are solid reason watch it. Though this episode had one or two decent moment even aside of that. Maybe anime will be actually not that bad? Well there is still not story cancer, so I am not too hopeful though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
I'm not a source-reader so I can only assume the "relic" is a piece of the remains of Jackie's victims, the murder weapon, or a piece of Jackie's body left during the murder (hair, etc). It's a magical society so I won't even question how those people got their hands on them "relics". That, or it's just a random result of summoning.
Jack the ripper is similar to assassins in that aspect he(she) is not single person. No one know who Jack was so any of Jack candidates can be summoned as jack.

But if Jack the loli stripper existed, murdered people and left weapon or hair on spot, it could mean it could be used summon this particular jack, yes. Letters could be probably considered as universal catalyst as they helped shape legend of Jack the Ripper even if they are considered fake. (I don't think this ever mentioned in apocryha alone and shouldn't affect story, so not spoiler?)

Quote:

Actually, yes writters of Fate franchise can bullshit their way out of anything and people will indeed accept it. If they didn't Franchise wouldn't exist in first place. Also avenger is "all the worlds evil" it's literally his name and it was summoned because Einzbern, one of families that made holly grail ritual, was cheating. Villainous servant could be summoned only because grail was corrupted afterwards. And considering Einzberns didn't summoned avenger in third here, Jack shouldn't be summonable. It's plot hole and apo is actually not as good as Nasu works in bulshitining through. You are still free enjoy, but don't try make it sound like it has no plot holes.

Last edited by Tenzen12; 2017-07-10 at 03:02.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-10, 02:52   Link #20
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Jack the ripper is similar to assassins in that aspect he(she) is not single person. No one know who Jack was so any of Jack candidates can be summoned as jack.

But if Jack the loli stripper existed, murdered people and left weapon or hair on spot, it could mean it could be used summon this particular jack, yes. Letters could be probably considered as universal catalyst as they helped shape legend of Jack the Ripper even if they were probably fake.
Thanks for the informative reply. So, there are many forms of Jack just like Hassan? Now that's interesting. Man, I really want to see a Jack form that resembles the Jack in Detective Conan movie .