AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2009-05-20, 16:07   Link #861
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
Quote:
Originally Posted by elindir View Post
Well, first of all, what is it like? I read that it is Tomino's "vision" about the future of the U.C. Did you like it? I presume it differs from the U.C. we know greatly.
I thought the story was rather well done, but it definitely has prevalent themes that Tomino has used in the Principality of Zeon as well as Crossbone Vanguard/Zanscare Empire (aka chosen people, master race, etc). Tomino's prose are rather interesting to read. I'll summarize it if I can once I get some free time.
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And it’s also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-21, 03:16   Link #862
elindir
Overreacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues View Post
I thought the story was rather well done, but it definitely has prevalent themes that Tomino has used in the Principality of Zeon as well as Crossbone Vanguard/Zanscare Empire (aka chosen people, master race, etc). Tomino's prose are rather interesting to read. I'll summarize it if I can once I get some free time.
That would be great, thank you, mate. There's no translation then, I presume?
Old 2009-05-22, 03:17   Link #863
Dan the Man
Defeater of Robot Masters
*Artist

Location: Wherever YOU aren't. Thanks for not visiting... *Sniff*
Send a message via AIM to Dan the Man Send a message via MSN to Dan the Man
Random question...

Why do MS pilots wear normal suits on Earth?
Those are for fighting in a vacuum, right? Why bother?

-----Chicks dig giant robots------
Dan the Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-22, 03:43   Link #864
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan the Man View Post
Random question...

Well, if those same suits have internal plumbing systems for extended operations, they'd be useful. Also, it does work for a uniform when in combat.
Old 2009-05-22, 04:00   Link #865
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan the Man View Post
Random question...

They also function as a how a flight suit would for today's fighter jet pilots, anti-G force, anti flame and all.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-22, 21:15   Link #866
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Why it is that gundams or mecha have you join such and such an organization to pilot the machines?
Old 2009-05-22, 21:28   Link #867
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
Why it is that gundams or mecha have you join such and such an organization to pilot the machines?
Because you don't just randomly pilot a giant military weapon that you keep in your backyard.
Old 2009-05-22, 22:41   Link #868
Duo Himura

Quote:
Obvious response aside, it so happens that that isn't even always the case. In L-Gaim it works the other way around--the military forces are some sort of elite group that you can't join -unless- you have a Heavy Metal (or some other reason for them to take you...? I just know that a couple characters wanted Heavy Metals for the express purpose of joining the military).

And actually, Kamille apparently kept his civilian status throughout Zeta Gundam, and is the only Gundam character to have done so? I mean, he's part of the AEUG for all intents and purposes (and treated as one if when he disobeys orders), but he's never given a rank.
Duo Himura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-23, 06:56   Link #869
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Himura View Post
And actually, Kamille apparently kept his civilian status throughout Zeta Gundam, and is the only Gundam character to have done so? I mean, he's part of the AEUG for all intents and purposes (and treated as one if when he disobeys orders), but he's never given a rank.
Actually most Gundam protagonists aren't officially part of the military, and that includes Kamille, Judau, Usso, Domon, Heero, Garrod, Loran and Setsuna. Most of them are part of a civilian militia or rebellion or mercenary group whatever, so they keep their civilian status, but still "join" an organization. Only Domon, Heero and Garrod can be said to be not part of an official organization, though Domon was essentially a one-man army for Neo Japan (due to the nature of the Gundam Fights).
Old 2009-05-23, 11:17   Link #870
Kiekan

Quote:
Look at it from a real world stance. Why can't anyone go and buy an assault rifle?

And that's not completely true. There are civilian use construction mobile suits and whatnot, like the Petite or Middle or the Med.

"If you desire one thing for so long, it's a given that you'll
miss other things along the way. That's how it is... that's
life" - Godo (Berserk)

http://kiekan88.deviantart.com
Kiekan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-23, 14:09   Link #871
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiekan View Post
Look at it from a real world stance. Why can't anyone go and buy an assault rifle?

And that's not completely true. There are civilian use construction mobile suits and whatnot, like the Petite or Middle or the Med.
Don't forget that in the Gundam SEED Astray series, Yoon Sefan created a civilian-use mobile suit that was based off of ORB's Astray series of machines... the Raysta.
Old 2009-06-01, 08:21   Link #872
Vandalier
Hinamizawa Villager

Send a message via Yahoo to Vandalier
i just watched turn a gundam from beggining till end
i dont quite understand

so turn a is the era after the civilization of UC was destroyed?
but there also gundam wing on there.....
how come?

and who corin anyway?

but, sochie in the ending are so cute!!!!!
Vandalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-01, 08:50   Link #873
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Turn-A was described as encompassing all the previous (and even the future's) Gundam Centuries. Each of them being rebooted at some point by a Moonlight Butterfly (I think).

IIRC, from UC you had a lot of things: Zaku I, Zaku II, GM, Gallop, Kapool, Keilas Guilie (mentionned, from V Gundam), and also the multiples references of White Devil, or Enemy of the Spacenoids.
But you also had the "legendary Shining Finger" from G Gundam.
Corin had a flashback of the Wing 0 from AC century. And within the batch of the Dark History pictures fm I remember the X Gundam from AW century deplying it's satellite cannon.

You can even link CE to UC with the Jupitris design, and the Gibraltar spaceport.

And from AD there are even remnants of a space elevator in central America!!! (the only one we weren't shown in 00 Gundam BTW).
Old 2009-06-01, 09:01   Link #874
kakakka

Wait...So there was a space elevator in Turn-A?
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-01, 09:21   Link #875
Vandalier
Hinamizawa Villager

Send a message via Yahoo to Vandalier
so everything is begin after turn a in end before turn a
Vandalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-01, 09:31   Link #876
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakakka View Post
Wait...So there was a space elevator in Turn-A?
There are remnants of one. If you have watched the serie, remember or rewatch the part when they are in central America, looking for a linear accelerator to propell them into space, at the same place there are the large remains of a "pillar".

Later the sort of gigantic catapult they use to reach the Moon is another remnant of this space elevator (described as a branch of the tree that reached space).
Old 2009-06-01, 09:33   Link #877
kakakka

Ah...I remember that now. That tree thing. Thanks for reminding me.
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-02, 13:14   Link #878
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Can you point me to posts that talk of Celestial Being's hyposcrisy?
Old 2009-06-02, 21:10   Link #879
Duo Himura

Well, to be fair, Turn-A was envisioned as encompassing all past Gundam series, but given the sheer improbability involved it's a lot easier to just see it as the distant future of the UC timeline or an AU that follows the events of UC up to a certain point. I mean, considering that none of the previous Gundam series have people digging up mobile suits, it really makes no sense that the same thing could have happened prior to those series. There are only the most passing of references to any timelines besides UC, so it works out if you look at it that way and just ignore Corin (which generally makes the show more enjoyable sometimes...) and consider the "Shining Finger" to be an homage, what with the attacks looking nothing alike (it is sort of similar to the God/Burning Finger).

But yeah, Turn-A was an effort at uniting the franchise in the same way that various American comic books try to unite disparate ideas that have existed in the past, etc. There's a lot of holes, and you sort of just have to accept somewhere along the line that it doesn't all work out perfectly, and either forget about it or choose the version you like best.
Duo Himura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-02, 21:37   Link #880
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Quote:
Can you point me to posts that talk of Celestial Being's hyposcrisy?
Can you see show me posts or threads?