AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-06-26, 10:12   Link #321
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Well, Dev is Asian, at least - maybe that helps him look the part. I'm no fan of the massive winging by fans about the race of the cast - I don't care what they are as long as they can act.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-26, 18:34   Link #322
Waking_Dreamer
Dreamer King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Well, Dev is Asian, at least - maybe that helps him look the part.
Well...depending on the appearance of the extras, him being asian doesnt necessarily make him look the part. The fact is that he doesnt resemble Zuko at all. I mean consider, Iroh, Azula and Ursa, their features look pretty aisan (as in east asian - Japanese, Chinese, Korean etc.) and if they had chosen someone from that decent there wouldnt be a fraction, if any complaints about a person that resembles Zuko.

What people are pissed off about is that the only open audition was Aang's role, while all the other actors were specifically chosen...weird.
Waking_Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-26, 22:33   Link #323
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Well, there probably weren't too many pre-fab 12 year-old boys with shaved heads and extreme martial arts skills.
Old 2009-06-27, 10:39   Link #324
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Quote:
Well, there probably weren't too many pre-fab 12 year-old boys with shaved heads and extreme martial arts skills.
I think kung-fu action scenes can easily be "trained" or "computerized" these days, it's not even that big of a deal. They didn't pick Keanu Reeves to be Neo because he knows kung-fu.

To be honest although Aang's character is relatively well developed, in the end he is no where as emotionally conflicted and complex as Zuko's character. What I'm trying to say here is, that it's relatively easier to find someone who can fit Aang's role than it is to fit Zuko's. The fact that they gave Aang auditions but not Zuko is indeed weird.

But hey who knows, maybe Slumdog is the perfect Zuko
jonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-29, 05:27   Link #325
KimmyChan

It's Avatar's storyline that's the most appealing to me, very fantasy-fuelled & magical to an extent
KimmyChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-02, 10:42   Link #326
ellifeedn
Thinker

You don't think this will reopen the shipping wars?
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-02, 13:42   Link #327
Fishfood1

^only if they(shippers) want to, cause i don't see a reason for anyone to restart the shipping wars since i doubt the movie will end very differently from the actual show.

but the movie could alway put more fan servicing towards one particular couple, which could reopen the shipping war. hardcore zutarians were particularly pissed after end of book 3. so if the live action movie put more zutara, then that could reopen the war between zutara and kataang, again...

roof>bed
Fishfood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-03, 00:31   Link #328
jonli
JONLIの憂'

I'm a Zutara kinda guy too.

But it was nice to see Zuko stay with his girl at the end. After all that chick stayed with him till the very end, and sacrificed so much for him. Zuko's a true man for letting go off someone as cute as Katara for Mei or w/e her name was.
jonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-22, 12:01   Link #329
james0246

Good News everybody:

Nickelodeon Greenlights New Series From the Creators of the Animated Television Hit Avatar: The Last Airbender

Quote:
Nickelodeon, the number one producer of television animation in the world, has greenlit a new series from the creators of the hit animated TV show Avatar: The Last Airbender, it was announced today by Brown Johnson, President, Animation, Nickelodeon and MTVN Kids and Family Group. The new series The Legend of Korra (working title), from creators Michael DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko, will premiere on Nickelodeon in 2011, continuing the evolution of the animated franchise and its mythology. The original series was the inspiration for the Paramount Pictures and Nickelodeon Movies live-action epic adventure, The Last Airbender, which has already grossed more than $115 million at the box office to date.

"Mike and Bryan have imagined a compelling new story inspired by the Airbender mythology that they so brilliantly crafted when the TV series began," Johnson said. "This new avatar is not only a girl, but also hot-headed, independent and ready to take on the world."

The Legend of Korra takes place 70 years after the events of Avatar: The Last Airbender and follows the adventures of the Avatar after Aang – a passionate, rebellious, and fearless teenaged girl from the Southern Water Tribe named Korra. With three of the four elements under her belt (Earth, Water, and Fire), Korra seeks to master the final element, Air. Her quest leads her to the epicenter of the modern "Avatar" world, Republic City – a metropolis that is fueled by steampunk technology. It is a virtual melting pot where benders and non-benders from all nations live and thrive. However, Korra discovers that Republic City is plagued by crime as well as a growing anti-bending revolution that threatens to rip it apart. Under the tutelage of Aang's son, Tenzin, Korra begins her airbending training while dealing with the dangers at large.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-22, 12:07   Link #330
Z1FE

hey guys { the last airbender film comes out in england on august 13th 2010 NEXT MONTH } and how do u put a picture on your profile tht may have come out wrong but u know watt i mean lol
Z1FE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-22, 12:40   Link #331
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Awesome news, thanks

I remember reading rumors about the new series being called Legend of Korra early this year, but I'm glad that we got an official word about it (and thankfully the original creators are involved, unlike what the rumors said)

That being said, it looks like they will be going with a different angle with this series. The anti-bending revolution, Republic city and advancement in the steam-punk technology, A wise mentor, and her apparently having already mastered three elements at the start of the show makes this sound its going to be what Batman of the Future was to The Animated Series (which would be very cool) But reading the synopsis, I'm not sure if it will be able to go as log as the previous series, or I guess this will be like a ''Final Book: Air'' because the Avatar cycle is as good as dead now?

I do wonder if Republic City is related to the Earth Nation inventors how took over the air benders temples.
Old 2010-07-22, 16:09   Link #332
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
This sounds almost like a fanfic or even a rip off of Final Fantasy VI.
Old 2010-07-22, 23:16   Link #333
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
But reading the synopsis, I'm not sure if it will be able to go as log as the previous series, or I guess this will be like a ''Final Book: Air'' because the Avatar cycle is as good as dead now?
Avatar cycle isn't dead; if Aang has a son that's an airbender, then airbender's will still exist. It will take a long time, but as long as his children keep having children and the airbender genes pass on, we'll soon have plenty. Of course, whether they end up rebuilding the air nomad monk temples or create a new civilization, or just mingle with others, is up for debate.

As for length, considering the excellent story they told over three seasons (consisting of Aang awakening, master elements, defeat fire lord), I'm confident they can do a good job here.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-22, 23:49   Link #334
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
This sounds almost like a fanfic or even a rip off of Final Fantasy VI.
Since FFVI is one, if not the, best in the series, a rip-off doesn't sound too bad to me...(not that I actually consider the currently released info to be close to a rip-off).
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-24, 11:13   Link #335
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Sounds awesome except for the whole 'teenage rebellion' shit. I'm reallly sick of that. I was thinking they'd do a side story of Aang's past lives but it looks as if Mike & Bryan are totally willing to answer question of how the Airbenders survived extinction, which is great. And it's looks to be a bit darker aswell, which is cool.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-25, 00:19   Link #336
Waking_Dreamer
Dreamer King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Sounds awesome except for the whole 'teenage rebellion' shit. I'm reallly sick of that.
Where does it say that?

Well its interesting how they're incoporating steampunk in the new series...I believe they were thinking of having a steampunk setting for the original series...
Waking_Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-25, 07:53   Link #337
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waking_Dreamer View Post
Where does it say that?
"The Legend of Korra takes place 70 years after the events of Avatar: The Last Airbender and follows the adventures of the Avatar after Aang – a passionate, rebellious, and fearless teenage girl from the Southern Water Tribe named Korra."
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-25, 07:57   Link #338
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Avatar cycle isn't dead; if Aang has a son that's an airbender, then airbender's will still exist. It will take a long time, but as long as his children keep having children and the airbender genes pass on, we'll soon have plenty. Of course, whether they end up rebuilding the air nomad monk temples or create a new civilization, or just mingle with others, is up for debate.
That doesn't really solve the problem though. Sure, Aang's descendant's might continue to carry on the genes, but they'll never be able to recover into a full nation like they were before and they will be living a very fragile existence. Not to mention that with the Sky Bison's gone (Apa can't live forever) that will mean that the Airbenders won't have the original airbenders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
As for length, considering the excellent story they told over three seasons (consisting of Aang awakening, master elements, defeat fire lord), I'm confident they can do a good job here.
Well, I wasn't worried about the quality of the story (I'm fairly confidante in that aspect) but about how long it will go on for (The previous series had Aang master the 3 elements before going to defeat the fire lord; this one starts(?) with Korra already on her way to master air-bending) so I don't know how will (if) they stretch it beyond 20 episodes at most.
Quote:
Where does it say that?
Edit: too slow
though tbh, from this description she doesn't sound bad at all. Sure I can see how her being a ''rebellious teenager'' might end up being annoying, but hey, Aang wasn't guilt ridden every episode of the original.
Quote:
Well its interesting how they're incoporating steampunk in the new series...I believe they were thinking of having a steampunk setting for the original series...
Yeah, I really look forward to that. Especially since, as you mentioned, the original did have a steampunk/fantasy setting.
Old 2010-07-25, 11:36   Link #339
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Nick is gambling a bit, here. Despite its (deserved) success as a crossover series, Avatar is still a Nick show and still needs to appeal to the core audience. Demographics pretty clearly show that girls are much more likely to watch a show about a boy than boys are to watch one about a girl. And both Nick and Avatar skew heavily male demographically.
Old 2010-07-25, 14:36   Link #340
fanty
STARVING ARTIST

Quote:
Demographics pretty clearly show that girls are much more likely to watch a show about a boy than boys are to watch one about a girl.
I think that's because shows with girl protagonists tend to be aimed at girls and american shows for girls tend to be ridiculous.

Plus, I have a nice quote for this (but concerning books and not animated shows):
Quote:
Who came up with this crap anyway? Some librarian in the 1930’s who had one shelf of Jane Austen and one shelf of Tarzan and noticed the boys went to the Tarzan shelf? Well, who wouldn’t? Tarzan is insane! The books are brutal, primitive and beautiful. What happens in Pride and Prejudice? They sit around moaning for 400 pages and get married and live happily ever after. Not a single elephant stampede anywhere!
Anyway, I'm REALLY looking forward to this new series! I'm not getting my expectations too high up though.