AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

Old 2013-04-27, 21:16   Link #3301
demino_hellsin
That one guy

I have a character that is basically a mortal god... can't get any more OP than that

Scratch that. A mortal that's equal to gods.

Last edited by demino_hellsin; 2013-04-27 at 21:33.
demino_hellsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-27, 23:38   Link #3302
Dyingbreath

Quote:
Originally Posted by demino_hellsin View Post
I have a character that is basically a mortal god... can't get any more OP than that

Scratch that. A mortal that's equal to gods.
One of my characters is a semi-immortal who creates gods. So ha.
Dyingbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 00:17   Link #3303
demino_hellsin
That one guy

Uh that one guy also makes gods Though he prolly won't all throughout his growth since it's outside of his understanding. Different story if Aiwass could somehow get the power. Well the mortal that's equal to gods is only that ina sense in that she is immune to any higher power that is ethereal to her. concepts of fate, luck and such do not apply. She is as she is.
Old 2013-04-28, 00:18   Link #3304
agetreme
Just another Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyingbreath View Post
The idea is creative but it's a bit hard to conceive of. Are you going for a "butterfly effect" kind of power where she can change her own action?

And then you'd need to take care to address any changes it causes in the story.
Sort of.

However, I don't really need to show the changes, the irony is that I need to show things which are unchanged (or rather reversed back to original state).

Why?

Because Time is a concept perceived by humans. The whole week can repeat itself without anybody knowing (even if the said person is a singularity unaffected by the time alteration).

Event happening during that day can change (even if the time is looping) due to reasons as simple as "somebody woke up feeling lazy" or "doesn't feel like it".

=

Since To-aru-verse characters are still affected by time alteration (Even Aiwass or may be Aiwass is just acting ignorant so that he can have fun watching).

Certain characters(*cough* Tokimi) can beat the crap out of the canon characters without major impact to the To-aru story. The only thing changed is that the Canon Characters will avoided certain route sub-consciously.

Example:
A fork road which Accelerator can go left or right.

But because he pick right in the previous timeline, he end up fighting Tokimi (One-sided curbstomp battle because Accelerator underestimated her). So after time reset, he will always pick left (side-effect of the Butterfly Effect).

Quote:
Speaking of the story... you talk about it a lot on here, how far along in the story are you? What's it called?
Working on finer detail on certain plot (It's Academy City, so trying to attempt a Gambit pileup ) and the causes of the weird events happening in the story.

Still have difficulty working on format of the story and which plot to start first (mostly to hide certain facts)

As for the title....still a work in progress.

Still wondering if I should use To-Aru's title format (A certain XXXX) or just go for something which represent the story.
Old 2013-04-28, 01:00   Link #3305
Dyingbreath

Quote:
Originally Posted by agetreme View Post
Sort of.

However, I don't really need to show the changes, the irony is that I need to show things which are unchanged (or rather reversed back to original state).

Why?

Because Time is a concept perceived by humans. The whole week can repeat itself without anybody knowing (even if the said person is a singularity unaffected by the time alteration).

Event happening during that day can change (even if the time is looping) due to reasons as simple as "somebody woke up feeling lazy" or "doesn't feel like it".

=

Since To-aru-verse characters are still affected by time alteration (Even Aiwass or may be Aiwass is just acting ignorant so that he can have fun watching).

Certain characters(*cough* Tokimi) can beat the crap out of the canon characters without major impact to the To-aru story. The only thing changed is that the Canon Characters will avoided certain route sub-consciously.

Example:
A fork road which Accelerator can go left or right.

But because he pick right in the previous timeline, he end up fighting Tokimi (One-sided curbstomp battle because Accelerator underestimated her). So after time reset, he will always pick left (side-effect of the Butterfly Effect).

Working on finer detail on certain plot (It's Academy City, so trying to attempt a Gambit pileup ) and the causes of the weird events happening in the story.

Still have difficulty working on format of the story and which plot to start first (mostly to hide certain facts)

As for the title....still a work in progress.

Still wondering if I should use To-Aru's title format (A certain XXXX) or just go for something which represent the story.
I'd personally go with something easier to work with or else you'll be bogged down explaining everything and even then a lot of people won't get it (plus you're doing inexcusable things to the concept of time)
Old 2013-04-28, 01:27   Link #3306
agetreme
Just another Idiot

Quote:
I'd personally go with something easier to work with or else you'll be bogged down explaining everything and even then a lot of people won't get it (plus you're doing inexcusable things to the concept of time)
Well..... alternative I can sweep the whole aspect under the carpet and just throw a hint or two about what was actually happening.

It does simplify the whole story and focus on the event happening on hand and also make the story a little darker and depressing once you realize the truth.

=
There are some Symbolism behind the Esper ability (as in the ones whose ability doesn't exist for fun). I am running out of time to post the whole list so....

The symbolism behind Tokimi's ability/inability is actually quite obvious.
Spoiler for symbolism:
. It also represented the (hidden) Antagonist's motivation.
Old 2013-04-28, 01:47   Link #3307
demino_hellsin
That one guy

well I suppose someone who can somewhat see the future can keep up with that.
Old 2013-04-28, 01:55   Link #3308
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
In the words of a wise russian man: "I have yet to meet man who can outsmart bullet"
The Heavy obviously hasn't met the boy who was raised by a Russian that could dissolve bullet-kun by AIM field.
Old 2013-04-28, 02:14   Link #3309
demino_hellsin
That one guy

Tainaka versus Magneto... Where is that box of microwave popcorn?
Old 2013-04-28, 02:20   Link #3310
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Tainaka versus Magneto... Where is that box of microwave popcorn?
Done it already. Its called "Tainaka hits on Misaka and is thrown into a wall with a electromagnetic field because to Misaka, he's one dense metalhead."
Old 2013-04-28, 06:49   Link #3311
demino_hellsin
That one guy

An idea suddenly hit my brain. Saten looks at her celphone.

"When did I install this? Dae- Monu- Samo- ninggu apu?"

Peaceful days are over. Let's survive.

D:
Old 2013-04-29, 09:07   Link #3312
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:

D:
Done already by canon. Many times. Its called Civil War, the Aztec War, World War III.

Tainaka may be a detective, but by WW3 Saten is a bonafide war veteran.

But I suppose using solid holograms to fight off stuff works too... if the phone has the BATTERY to suppose such things. The cold fusion skyships of FLEET employ solid holograms for a variety of uses, including ablative armor, but full-on photonic ships and combat drones is a whole other level.
Old 2013-04-29, 09:14   Link #3313
faiz blaster

Quote:

D:
Devil Survivor? Wouldn't that fall on the Magic category?
Old 2013-04-29, 09:17   Link #3314
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by faiz blaster View Post
Devil Survivor? Wouldn't that fall on the Magic category?
You could pull that off 2 ways:

1 - Circuit boards that correspond to magical sigils allow the phone to literally call up a demon. In other words, something up GREMLIN's alley, but this is some pretty advanced metamagic at work. The faction's gotta much older. I'd say this would actually be a Knights Templar exclusive combat technology. (Knights Templar is based on The Secret World here and my retired writings regarding that faction.)

2 - Phones with an app that activates the city's holo-emitters to project combat holograms, using Oracle computing technology to "foresee" the most likely future.
Old 2013-04-29, 12:49   Link #3315
agetreme
Just another Idiot

Spoiler for Blurring the line of Dream and Reality::

=

Spoiler for Delusion or reality?:
Old 2013-04-29, 19:16   Link #3316
demino_hellsin
That one guy

The original system used 2 versions.

Programmed magic circle that is written with romanized language of babel spell. It opens the gate to the demon world to call them over. Babel language is understood universally so even angels answer the call. Negative emotions are the material as demons feed off that as much as they do on flesh. That's why it connects to the greatest pool of despair, anger,hatred and just general negative feelings in the world. The internet. Along with demon summoning they get access to laplace mail which provides information on probable future events and seeing the deathclock which shows how many days a person has left to live.

the one implemented in the second game is directly connected to the akashic record. the phone connects to the record and sends a signal to tell it to say which demon is summoned. The record sends back the requested information which reforms with a matter known as magnetite. Akashic record also grants access to videos of all possible futures.
Old 2013-04-30, 02:57   Link #3317
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
The original system used 2 versions.

Programmed magic circle that is written with romanized language of babel spell. It opens the gate to the demon world to call them over. Babel language is understood universally so even angels answer the call. Negative emotions are the material as demons feed off that as much as they do on flesh. That's why it connects to the greatest pool of despair, anger,hatred and just general negative feelings in the world. The internet. Along with demon summoning they get access to laplace mail which provides information on probable future events and seeing the deathclock which shows how many days a person has left to live.

the one implemented in the second game is directly connected to the akashic record. the phone connects to the record and sends a signal to tell it to say which demon is summoned. The record sends back the requested information which reforms with a matter known as magnetite. Akashic record also grants access to videos of all possible futures.
In both instances, it smells of Knights Templar wizardry. Here's a little primer:

Spoiler for Knights Templar dossier executive summary:

Would you like to know more?

Last edited by MeisterBabylon; 2013-04-30 at 03:07.
MeisterBabylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-30, 06:56   Link #3318
demino_hellsin
That one guy

Fascinating. It would be interesting to compare SMT lore with them.

Devil survivors also have their own bodies augmented by the system anyway. Though not like TAMNI does though.I think it corrects data on a conceptual scale to grant the user abilities. As well as superhuman capabilities.
Old 2013-04-30, 07:00   Link #3319
Dyingbreath

Quote:
The next arc in my story features the Knights Templar but I'm having a little trouble with it. I'm trying to make them similar to the Knights of England or the 13 Knights of the Roman Catholic Church but I'm not sure what kind of spells and abilities they had. The wiki article on them isn't very detailed.
If someone can tell me more about their abilities or if someone has any ideas for them in lieu of information I'd be happy to receive the feedback.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
In both instances, it smells of Knights Templar wizardry. Here's a little primer:
Spoiler for Knights Templar dossier executive summary:

Would you like to know more?

Glad to see my writing is influencing people. You're expounding on it far more than I am (though I'm treating it more realistically) so I hope that works out well for you. I would be interested in hearing more though.
Old 2013-04-30, 08:07   Link #3320
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Fascinating. It would be interesting to compare SMT lore with them.

Devil survivors also have their own bodies augmented by the system anyway. Though not like TAMNI does though.I think it corrects data on a conceptual scale to grant the user abilities. As well as superhuman capabilities.
That’s... where I draw a blank. Never played the DS games.

Quote:
Glad to see my writing is influencing people. You're expounding on it far more than I am (though I'm treating it more realistically) so I hope that works out well for you. I would be interested in hearing more though.
I think it’s more like 3 different people played the same game and came up with the same ideas.

In fact, I started initially without TSW influence. My first entry for the Templars was in 2009, when I decided to draw inspiration from Dan Brown to craft a magic faction as a counterpart to my science faction UNION. The full dossier took shape over the years thereafter, until I abandoned the faction because it has been criticized as too world-breaking:

Commilitones Christi Templique Solomonici

Introduction

The Commilitones Christi Templique Solomonicior the Fellow-Soldiers of Christ and the Temple of Solomon are a Church named [Gabrieles], but are better known as the Knights Templar. They are a separate entity from the knights that serve under the Portugese Order of Christ. Unlike other Churches, the Gabrieles are familiar with technology and used it to augment and develop their magic. As they are a militant Church, they actively investigate paranormal events and purge fiends in the name of God. They have an orthodox face known as Worship, and it is this unique blend of popular culture grounded in an ages-old determination to survive makes the Lost Soldiers unlike any cult on Earth.

[B]History[B]

Death and Rebirth

The Persecution of the 1300s resulted in the order being fractured, leading to the formation of orthodox templars under the banner of the Order of Christ. However, only all overt resources have been confiscated, whereas the rest remain squirreled away all over the known world at that time. Some more practical-minded knights returned to their merchant roots and expanded their fortunes using those resources, while keeping their order alive in some spiritual semblance. Others became mercenary warbands in the employment of many European governments. It was around this time that the fellow soldiers adopted their new identity as well as shifted their emphasis from the protection of pilgrims to the general security and defense of the Christian people. This newfound purpose is best described by an ancient piece of graffiti etched into a column of one of Gabrieles' old churches: "Sauf l'autant de comme nous pouvons!" -- "Save as many as we can!"

What tied these descendants together was the bloodline of Christ, the Ark of Royal Blood. Through brine and brimstone the Knights fought to protect this piece of God, and it forever etched a strong sense for pragmatism and survival into the Templar order.

Struggling to Survive

With all their mages destroyed in the Persecution, the Knight Templars turned to philosophy and the scientific method to regain their power. Throughout the centuries, they've bankrolled institutions and factories, and later laboratories and universities. They pursued knowledge in the name of God, so that they may be able to withstand what the Devil has in store for Man. It was after countless spying and trials that the Lost Soldiers relearned how to use magic, but they had learned a great deal by the time they produced their first mage. Those secrets surpass any of their previous glories, and they zealously guard them as though they were the Ark herself.

The Templars continue to seek and hoard knowledge so that they may better understand and utilize God's gifts to save Mankind. They continually better themselves, be it in training, in study or in equipment. In the centuries after the persecution, the Lost Soldiers existed only in shadows, lest other Churches discover their existence and order their purging. This has occurred on and off throughout history, a recurring reminder of the foolishness of Man when blinded by envy and power. Even though the frequency of hunts died down, it was not until in the early 1600s, when a document now known as the Chinon parchment had been discovered in the Vatican, that it came to light that Pope Clement, the pope during the Persecution, had absolved the order of all heresies before disbanding it. With the main blade against their throats removed, the Templars as an order found room to breathe. However, their name had become so discredited that many thought of the Solomonites as nothing more than a wayward but otherwise harmless cult. To avoid scaring off their followers whose donations they depend on to continue their good work, the knights played up their non-specific Christian faith rather than their templar origins.

Always for the Weak

In spite of their political troubles, the Templar order never forgot their purpose. Many knights were philanthropists, playing major roles in public realms and often donated to or founded churches themselves over the centuries, but there was little coordination between knights. It was not until Sir Gerald Ledgers' brainwave in the early 1960s that the Templars worked together on saving Mankind. During the Free 60s, Gerald was appalled by the declining moral values of youth, but at the same time, the businessman knew he had to appeal to them in order to win them over to His Word. Putting his commercial experience to work, Gerald wrote up a revolutionary re-branding exercise that combined both evangelism, modernity and traditional values. He gathered his brethren together and despite scepticism and cries of heresy managed to string together a few churches to create a new kind of religious experience called Worship. Worship and the Lost Soldiers shared the same general crest, of a man and a woman riding the same horse, causing a slight uproar that yet another Templar-wannabe order had been created.

It was slow at first, but as the world sank into the Cold War, more turned to their liberal-styled conservatism, departure from tradition and uplifting tones. Sadly, Gerald never saw his plan take off; he returned to the Lord in 1975, just short of the economic boom years. Then came Gabrieles' first major break.

The Twelve Apostles

May 13, 1981. Pope John Paul II was shot 4 times by a sniper that was interrupted and apprehended by a nun and several bystanders. That nun was shot multiple times with a handgun by the sniper who tried to free himself, but she held on until security arrived. As she recovered in hospital, it was later revealed that she was in fact he, and on his inner shirt bore the emblem of 2 knights riding a single horse. The media was whipped into a frenzy with the possibility that a Knight Templar had saved the Pope, and as other colorful details like withstanding all 10 bullets at point blank range poured forth, the world was enthralled by the fact that a group of Templars not under the Order of Christ actually existed, and was protecting them still.

So too was the Vatican, as their security department encountered a violent clash between two armed groups a long distance from the Christian capital. Twelve armor-clad men suddenly attacked a convoy with blades and maces, forcing them to draw arms and fire back, pinning the knights with their home-made guns and crossbows. Armed with modified handcannons in one hand and bastard swords in the other, the twelve knights adorned in Templar colors massacred the attackers and limped away by the time special security forces arrived.

This side incident was covered up, but the significance of this event was what could've happened if the armed group made it to St Peters' Square. At that time, the Third Secret of Fatima predicted that a pope and the Vatican would be killed by a group of soldiers firing bullets and arrows, triggering a cascade of events leading to Armageddon. A few days earlier, a letter bearing the Gabrieles seal warned the Vatican to cancel or at least delay the Pope's appearance or "consequences could be dire". It was thanks to the Twelve Apostles, and the thirteenth brother, that the prophecy did not come to pass.

The public frenzy continued to dig up more details, and Worship capitalized on it. The cross-dressing brother affirmed his affiliation to Worship, stating that he disguised himself under instruction of a vision from Gabriel. The Church shifted tact from neither confirming nor denying their origins to admitting reluctantly to their Templar roots, and it won them more support. Worship went from obscurity to a household name overnight. Their rave sermons and rock hymns were beamed over major news networks, as the public just could not get enough of a church long associated with conspiracies going and preventing the assassination of the Pope. Even conspiracy theories of the entire show being a very radical advertising campaign could not dent the mood.

The news hurricane was eventually replaced by the 1980s recession, but the effects persisted. Inner circles were no longer adverse to an armed-and-ready Knight Templar cabal. Worship once again adapted to the new circumstances and in the 90s began spreading the faith at a pace unlike ever before. Worship churches mushroomed through the Americas, Asia and the Old World, not even slowing during the Asian Economic Crisis. It would be a tremendous period of growth for the Church, as old Templar churches joined Worship and foundings happened every other month. It gave the Templars a global platter to recruit from, and the constant infusion of new blood has kept the cabal going till this day.

Poor Fellows No More

Today, the Knight Templars operate in plain sight, with skyscrapers and office blocks where the ApostleCorp logo is proudly displayed as a shining glaze over their more arcane facilities. For their hybridization, they are dismissed by orthodox churches as weak quacks and knockoffs, much like the Scientologists of the States and the Christian Science Church of the North. As the magical world withdrew to look inward ever greater and more brutal power, this left the ‘meagre’ secular world almost entirely to the Templars. Indeed, had not the Illuminati split from the RCC and entrenched themselves in America, and the rebellious Dragons made a mess of the East, the planet’s economies would have been run by affiliates of the Knights.

Worship continues to be the public face of the Commilitones Christi Templique Solomonici in the 21st century. There has been criticism that the church kit-bashes evangelism, Catholicism and many obvious tenants of Templar faith since then and now, but for the masses wanting to Praise and Celebrate the Lord, Worship was a vibrant avenue that broke the mold. Even though it is one of the smallest cults in the world and is still not recognized by the Roman Catholic Church, it is unofficially considered to one of the many variations of Christianity. And with each new wave, promising individuals are brought higher into the upper cabals and inducted into the Gabrieles, where they hone their magical skills to better give back to the community.

~~~

Magic

Gabrielites view telesma as an energy source from God, like how the Sun supplies energy to an ecosystem. They use this power to run their entire works. And all their research has been to better harness this power, to better serve the Lord.

This tenement emerged from their baptism of fire. Having been purged of all ancient knowledge, they had to learn anew. What they could steal from other Christian cults was very little. It was with the use of philosophy and the Scientific method that Gabrielites developed their own brand of magic. By 2000, five centuries of ongoing research have resulted in a magic that has little room for whizbangs and wizardry. While some spells like [Noah's Ark] were taught by Gabriel or survived the purge, and some others had been stolen from other faiths, newer and more original Gabrielite magic is equipment-based, focused on reinforcement, protection, and empowerment.

~~~

TK says:

Illegal and National labs I have no issue with and frankly consider a given. There's simply no damn way something like ESPers, which early debate has proved are no secret, are going to be allowed to remain the hands of one quasi-neutral city state. Anymore then the NY Stock Exchange is the only Stock Exchange on earth, even if it is one of the most famous.

The nuclear bomb analogy isn't bad, but your conclusion is flawed. The underlying theory that allows nuclear bombs is known and understood, and even if you lock down all exact knowledge and refuse to share it others will see the potential and figure it out sooner or later. Trust me the US and Russia didn't gleefully hand over there data so India could build nukes. At that point you have two options: A. accept it and start preparing B. go crazy and invade and or nuke them before they perfect it. Acdemey city can't fight the rest of the planet and so they can't stop the proliferation.

The idea that Academy City has some secret knowledge required to make them work also seems rather difficult to defend. The basic ideas they're using would be known to any student enrolled in the programs, which would make inserting a spy to learn them absurdly easy. They certainly have more expertise, but there's no reason that other nations with vastly larger budgets then they could EVER have couldn't figure them out themselves in time.

Then we get to the fact I Frankly I don't feel academy city is NEARLY as secure as people seem to think given that people seem to be able to get in and out of it without a huge fuss, which means spies could as well. Then with a population of millions it must have just streams of trucks and trains coming into it every hour of every day to keep running, and then we get into the fact they accept students from all over the world which means that any government could get spies inside with a perfectly valid cover. Finally despite the hype what watching the series actually seems to show is a city barely under control with order enforced more by overworked volunteers then any kind of well funded and organized police force. Gangs are nearly wandering the streets at will harassing people in many areas and we don't see anyone but volunteers and vigilantes really going after them, random massive uses of ESP powers draw late if any response by authorities, and let's not even get into the laundry list of poorly supervised experiments that go pear shaped.

It's a wonder the place hasn't burn to the ground yet...

Basically ESP is a genie that long left the lamp and can't be stuffed back inside. It might have originated in Academy City, but the idea it could be contained there in the face of interested parties (every nation on the planet really) with massively more funding and every reason to steal, steal, steal is rather ridiculous IMO. Academy City has the highest concentrations and the best scientist in the field to be sure, they'd naturally congregate toward a place with others like them and plenty of test subjects, but that it's the ONLY place such research takes place? Yeah, no way. It's the leader in the world by virtue of getting a jump start, but anyone that thinks the rest of the planet isn't sprinting to catch up is insane.

~~~

Organization

The Gabrieles today is a mixed standalone force comprising of mercenaries, knights and pilgrims, with their own vehicles for travel, humanitarian work and sometimes combat. It is backed up by a network of laboratories and MNCs, and recruits from their own descendants, from Worship, as well as promising individuals from the many Templar-like cults and clubs around the world. They also bankroll NGOs and many prominent Templars are known as moneymaking philanthropists.

WORSHIP Churches are their orthodox face, and the largest component of the Gabriel faith. They are known for their lively sermons and rock anthems they call Worship Songs. It attracts a gigantic following of youths and middle-ages, and even counts many celebrities in its ranks, but it is scoffed at by the more traditional Churches. It is a recent Church, founded within the last half-century and has an untraditional perspective of mages and ESPers.

The [b]Knights Templar[b] proper are only a part of the Gabrieles, making up about 1/3 of militant orders’ total strength. Even so, they are trained to perform in the air, land or sea, and are the core fighting force should the Church go to battle. Most of them born-and-bred knights whose lineages can be traced back to the pre-1300s, but there are some exceptional individuals who are talent-scouted from Worship. Many enter at schooling age, where they begin their training as pages to senior knights. Pages shadow their knights in almost every aspect of duty, even becoming part of the seniors' Crusader battle squads as extra hands. Once they've passed, they are inducted as templars into standing squads or are assigned to start new ones. Some may further specialize to wield destructive magics and become the Knight Templar Devastators that give support fire to their brothers. Others choose to master riding and lancework, becoming Knight Rider cavalry. And there are still some who wholly believe in smashing faces in person, and train to become Linebreakers. As they progress in seniority, they join the upper cabal of Sword Brethren made up of different Guards depending on their specialization. The ultimate pinnacle of a Templar's progression is becoming a Marshal in charge of a Phalanx of knights, or even the Grand Marshal who is lord over all of God's Army on Earth. The Knights Templar are entirely male, a tradition started in the past that has to do with the usage of blood organs taken from each generation of Templar to create new supermages that are usually incompatible with female bodies.

PILGRIM militia account another third of the Gabrieles. Many of them are volunteers from Worship who did not, or could not if they were female, join the Templars, some are hired guns from affiliated PMCs, others just having dropped out of the Knight program for one reason or another. They bridge the gaps of Templar strength, especially in terms of mages, since it is found that females are often slightly stronger at magic than men. A few talents go on to become specialists in a form of combat, and can work independently from the rest of the force, or participate in investigations they call Crusades. Mages from all over the church use their powers where possible to help.

The final part of the militant trinity is the collection of nameless mundane folk who, despite knowledge of the Cabal, continue to serve and help the administrative side of things. They are the researchers, alchemists, engineers, mechanics, secretaries, aides and every possible soft support of the knights and pilgrims, that the entire Church may better function as a whole. They also play a very important role in humanitarian work, and would liaise with Worship volunteer groups whenever they are mobilized.

ESPers form a minute part of the Church and are more objects of scientific curiosity than tools to be used. They are all naturally occurring ones encountered through Worship or when a Templarite suddenly awakens his/her powers. They are so rare that a Knight could go through his entire career without ever meeting one, but when the situation called for it one may suddenly find himself assigned to a squad of them. They vary through all ages. The most hallowed of them all is Alchemist, an young ESPer who is not known for his power to add and remove subatomic particles from atomic nuclei, but the skill and brilliance of his fists, garrote and bladecraft. (Alchemist is currently an inside agent in Academy City.)

Recruitment

The Worship Church aims to spread His Word and save as people as they can, and so the Lost Soldiers recruit from a global platter. Knights see neither color nor belief, but what role that God has planned for one's life. It is not uncommon to have a Crusade comprising of the whole spectrum of nationalities united by His Word.

Headquarters and Locale of Operations

The Grand Council, and templar spiritual center, is based in Paris, France. Its exact location is zealously guarded. The rest of the Church operates in cells, though they too make residence in the advant-garde Worship Church complexes or major manufacturing plants scattered around the globe. These structures are often built with dual purposes, and with as much underground space as possible.

Characteristics

Financial strength

The Church has some presence in many economic centers of the world. Private Military Companies operating in many hot spots around the globe count for a part of the corporate. ApostleCorp is a leading pharmaceutical and clinical company that has sponsored a laboratory in Academy City. Also, Worship is one of the fastest growing NPOs in the world, and thrives almost entirely on very generous donations from its followers and affiliated companies. Only Academy City and the Illuminati best them with monetary might.

Embracing technology

The Lost Soldiers pursue knowledge to understand and better utilize God's work. They do so by employing their secular resources, and over the years have allowed the templars to remain relevant with the fast-changing world both in humanitarian and military affairs. Science permeates and enhances the Solomon faith, and strengthens their magic.

That said, most of their equipment are very old machines salvaged from battles past. These are hauled by PILGRIM crews from the battlefield and brought back to life using alchemistry, knowledge and plain old magecrafting. For example, the Templars are equipped with medieval-era handcannons modified to allow belt-feeding; they are decked out in magically-strengthened metal plate whose design, ignoring the many changes that have been made, can also be traced back to the Dark Ages; PILGRIM use Jeeps and Hummers from the little wars over the ages and arm themselves with pretty much whatever they can find; and one kind of Knight transport is essentially a descendant of the British Mark V, ritually upgraded and religiously upsized! The templar and pilgrims of Solomon prefer the magical imbuing and worn-in capability of these ancient weapons over the 'modern' post-Vietnam toys.

Sometimes, a salvaged weapon demonstrates remarkable promise, which then earmarks it for replication by the church alchemists.

Xenos Assault Teams

Most operations, called Inquisitions or Crusades if a large templar presence is assembled, are conducted in XATs. Each team’s composition varies widely and draws talents from all arms of the Church. They work undercover to investigate supernatural phenomena and disturbances, and can intervene with force where necessary. These are usually the only “public” contact of the temple cabal, even though they are usually made to look so ordinary that one wouldn’t even notice them when they pass.

Intel Appendix

PILGRIM standard-issue weapons

Assault Weapon - HK33A3/HK33KA3 (China)
Pistols - SIG P226, Beretta 92FS, S&W M29 for the rest. (All over)
Machine gun - HK21E (Germany)
Shotgun - Mossberg 590 (US)
Rocket - FIM-92A (Pakistan)
Long-range - Remington M700 (US)

~~~~~~

Your idea isn’t new, but since I’m not using it, feel free to cannibalize it.

Tags
character, crack, crossover ideas, discussion, fanfiction