AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2003-12-09, 17:26   Link #1
ewalk22543
Inactive Member

favorite fan groups for favorite subs?

im just wondering what fansub groups you download for each show, and which group do you dislike the most. heres who i like/prefer:

Naruto : i really wish [TW] was still doing the subs, they were my favorite, but i use ANBU now (i liked the yellow font, it was much easier to read)

Gunslinger Girl : i like the Totan the best

Full Metal Alchemist : deffinatly ANUB-KEEP for that one

and for least favorite group, ill have to say bakasan. in one naruto episode, Kakashi dropped the F-Bomb, and a main stream show in Tokyo i woudlnt think would say somehting like that, i dunno, it just bugged me alot

so what about yours?
ewalk22543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-09, 19:31   Link #2
maxthelostboy

my fav groups are
anime kraze
anime keep
anub
triad - they sub old animes epscially that lord of kinghts 1 it rules go triad!
Lunar - actua;;y subs things noone else subs anymore! right way to go!
and all other fan sub groups who just dont sub chno, naruto and all the new series
maxthelostboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-09, 21:06   Link #3
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Seichi and AnimeCo, pretty much... The Triad was only good when it was an actual coalition.
Old 2003-12-09, 22:24   Link #4
Xess
Go Suzuka!

I prefer Anime Forever's version of FullMetal Alchemist. I first downloaded AKeep ANBU's version of FMA 1, but then the strange errors where he obviously still had both arms in the beginning sequence and the subs said that he had lost an arm made me get AF-F's version which in my humble opinion is better. The names for AKeep/ANBU's version is very much transliterated, much like how AJ translates names. In episode 8, where Ed and Al are on an inspection visit to the mining town, the name of the young boy was 'Kyle' wasn't it, and not Kaira or something since FMA apparently uses English names for all their characters.

For GSG, I go with Totan, since they're a small and fast group. They have a very dedicated translator who did research on the subway stations in rome for episode 6. You'll notice that some other groups made mistakes with Cavour Station. And he also did very lengthy research on the paintings in ep 7. (It's quite distracting reading the notes on the paintings however) They've just recruited new editors recently, so the grammar has improved significantly.

For Kiminozo, Lunar is definitely the group I'd go with. They've a very dedicated team and have consistant and high quality releases. Plus a translator who's very passionate about the show, which is great. Doing something you enjoy usually results in a higher quality of work.

As for Tsukihime, I really don't know which group to go for. I read that the NLA and saikou team know the Tsukihime history throughly but however their releases don't come out as regularly as I'd like. And Saikou's encodes are small and rather blurred out which is a big minus.

For Naruto, I just go with Bakasan. I just like his translation style. I can't vouch for the accuracy (since I can't speak jp), but he leaves certain keywords untranslated like ero-sennin and such which is good I feel.
Xess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-10, 02:58   Link #5
drvtech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xess
For GSG, I go with Totan, since they're a small and fast group. They have a very dedicated translator who did research on the subway stations in rome for episode 6. You'll notice that some other groups made mistakes with Cavour Station. And he also did very lengthy research on the paintings in ep 7. (It's quite distracting reading the notes on the paintings however) They've just recruited new editors recently, so the grammar has improved significantly.
I actually downloaded Totan's version of that episode. All I remember that Totan did for ep 6 was just say that Cavour was on Line B of the two lined Rome Metro. Now, since I was in Rome on vacation recently, I knew that Cavour was located between the Colleseo and Stazione Termini and that the National Museum is located just...I guess two blocks...if you can call those round circles a block from Stazione Termini. But I don't remember much else for research for Totan...though I was happy that they mentioned Rome Holiday (though the movie is Roman Holiday) since I didn't know who else would remember such a scene from such an old movie ^_^.

I haven't downloaded their ep 7, I'd like to see their research that they did on the painting as I did stop in Firenze for a bit, but not long enough to visit the Uffizi Gallery.
drvtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-10, 03:47   Link #6
get_a_life
hentai! banzai!

Send a message via AIM to get_a_life
how many times does this kind of thread pop up? shut up already. fansubs are free anyway so dont complain.

as long as i can watch and understand whats happening, its all good for me. i dont really care about snazzy karaoke n shit like that. im the worse kind of singer anyway.

the main factor im concerned with is encoding quality and readable subtitles. all groups should adapt a simple font. i really dont like stylized fonts that are too hard too read.

oh yeah and resolution size. me no like big pixels when i hit alt+enter

oh yeah props to: anbu, anime-keep, anime-forever, anime-otakus, a.f.k., lunar, anime-one, elite fansubs, live-evil, infusion, and anime-empire, for quality anime.

thanks especially for lunar's KGNE
" " " elite-fansubs' Hikaru no Go
" " " infusion's Hajime no Ippo
" " " animeforever's last exile

and the rest of the good stuff.

aaahhh thank them all for all the free work they do!!

Last edited by get_a_life; 2003-12-10 at 03:57.
get_a_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-10, 06:48   Link #7
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
TW ARE still doing Naruto, they just don't give a crap about speed anymore. I'm still waiting on their subs heh.
SirCanealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-10, 14:15   Link #8
JAppi
Banned

Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi
Quote:
Originally Posted by get_a_life
fansubs are free anyway so dont complain.
There are plenty of non-profit charities that don't do half-assed jobs.
JAppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-10, 20:54   Link #9
CompShrink
getting in comps' heads

Send a message via AIM to CompShrink
Just because something is free, doesn't mean you should be thankful for getting it... I don't want a free month of AOL, ok, it sucks. That's an extreme case though... but free has levels of quality just like things you pay for.

For example Open Source software, asks for feedback and bug reports. I know many fansub groups want feedback, and don't mind threads that say they're doing good job.

Get_A_Life, this isn't a thread of flames, but a thread of thanks and saying who are exceptionally good. I don't see why you have a problem with this...

Oh, and A-Keep has great encoding(Scrapped Princess especially), and really good translations usually. I also loved Rice-Box(Especially their Witch Hunter Robin and Mahou Tsukai), the original not the current skeleton of a group that exists... A-Forever is alright, and A-Kraze is good, they did a really good job on Last Exile before licencing.
CompShrink is offline   Reply With Quote