AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2006-01-13, 11:58   Link #41
xris
Just call me Ojisan

I'm still seeing the ad (position as stated in the post by Kinny Riddle).

Edit: Seems the "no ads for registered users" effect has now kicked in. Ads are no longer present at all.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-13, 12:16   Link #42
PaPe
The chibi mistress

Thanks Xris. I don't know if you're aware of it however the ad appears also in the mainsite.

Note for firefox users it is easy to stop it using the Adblock extension.

Last edited by PaPe; 2006-01-13 at 12:50.
PaPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-13, 12:17   Link #43
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Just a note: since Mb81 didn't like my assumption of "no ads for loyal users" and
"loyal users = all logged in users", I've made a few more conditions to not showing ads
than just being logged in.

I will not go into specifics but some of the requirements are:

- You must be registered for a certain period of time AND be logged in of course

- You must not be a lurker. But DO NOT spam the forum please: it only requires one
single post in ANY thread on this forum in a reasonbly long period to keep the ads away.

But this means any active member who has been a member for at least a month or so
will not get to see any ads -- this currently affects about 1300 users.

I still have to clear this with Mb81 btw, so if he really doesn't like it there is a chance
the ads will be back. But I think the requirements I've set should be acceptible to him.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-13, 12:29   Link #44
Shay
Monarch Programmer

What about the people who want to see the adds?
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-13, 12:38   Link #45
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay
What about the people who want to see the adds?
Yeah right But in that case: just log out...
Old 2006-01-15, 02:24   Link #46
WolfCoder
wolfen programmer

Send a message via AIM to WolfCoder Send a message via MSN to WolfCoder Send a message via Yahoo to WolfCoder
Hm... I've noticed something really bizarre.

I used to get normal ad banners and some popups everywhere I go. But then, all of the sudden, everywhere I turn, there are ads in German. On one site, it told me about IM smileys in english, now it keeps telling me "Das neues IM smileys!" and other things in German. Not just that site or this site, every site I visit's ads are now in German! Did I get spywared in German or something?!
WolfCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-15, 02:34   Link #47
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

You might have -- but a more likely scenario is you've acquired a cookie that is telling those ad companies that you should be given German adverts. Try clearing your cookies. If it doesn't make any difference it could just be coincidence. In either case it won't hurt to check for spy ware.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-15, 02:39   Link #48
WolfCoder
wolfen programmer

Send a message via AIM to WolfCoder Send a message via MSN to WolfCoder Send a message via Yahoo to WolfCoder
I'm not to worried, the German ads make me laugh! Das richtige essen ist im Deuschland! I only get the intrusive ad pop-ups that go through my filters on popular sites. Here is a really good trick I learned:

If an ad pops up, and it's actually not a window (you can't close it, and it moves with you), just press the refresh button to reload the same page, and the advertisment doesn't pop up again. It works for me all the time. Then, you can click behind the area the ad was covering up.
WolfCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-15, 13:13   Link #49
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro
J- You must be registered for a certain period of time AND be logged in of course

- You must not be a lurker. But DO NOT spam the forum please: it only requires one
single post in ANY thread on this forum in a reasonbly long period to keep the ads away.
Is there a fixed "reasonably long period", or is it still up in the air?

Also, I'm wondering if this only affects the forum, or if it also affects the main site. I have no problems (yet) with ads on the forums, but I'm still getting Ads of Largeness every other time I visit the www.animesuki.com mirror (and only that mirror... maybe I should try going to rpguru from now or something).
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-15, 14:00   Link #50
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

The "no-ads for active users" rule ONLY affects the forum. It doesn't affect the site at all.

But as you already mentioned, to see no ads on the site the simple answer is to just use a mirror.
It might take some time getting used to the new URL, but you'll love it once you're used to it.
(I use mirrors all the time)
Old 2006-01-31, 22:21   Link #51
Green²
It's bacon!

New one popped up on the main site:

Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-01, 06:24   Link #52
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green²
New one popped up on the main site:

And did that ad disappear on it's own or something? Because I can't see any "close" link on it...?!?
(it would be really lame to have an ad covering the site you can't even close...)
Old 2006-02-01, 07:08   Link #53
Green²
It's bacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro
And did that ad disappear on it's own or something? Because I can't see any "close" link on it...?!?
(it would be really lame to have an ad covering the site you can't even close...)
Had to reload the page to get rid of it.
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-01, 07:32   Link #54
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

I got this 5mins ago.

The X is prolly behind the popup blocker bar. It doesnt annoy me that much, because a simple refresh makes it go away and it doesnt happen to me when Im on the forum.
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-03, 15:08   Link #55
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri

get them almost every time I load up the front page.
Komataguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-03, 15:16   Link #56
IMSabbel

Maybe, just maybe somebody should shove it to Mb81 that THIS kind of ads is the best way to get people use REAL adblockers, or use hostfiles.
And then he wont get ANY page impressions for the ads.
I can live with ad-bars or google ads, but its not my problem if he forces me to deprive him of his income.
IMSabbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-16, 18:16   Link #57
unseen

I have been also noticing these ads often enough that is really starting to annoy me. Here is one I just got today:

I hope this gets fixed soon...
unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-17, 05:04   Link #58
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by unseen
I have been also noticing these ads often enough that is really starting to annoy me. Here is one I just got today:

I hope this gets fixed soon...
The best way to get rid of these adverts completly is to bookmark and use one of the many AnimeSuki mirrors. None of the mirror sites use advents I believe.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-17, 05:25   Link #59
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Another great way to get rid of these adverts is to use Mozilla Firefox, download the AdBlock extension and block all sites and images that have something like the 'ad' word somewhere ...

I don't have ads even when I use AnimeSuki. Hahaha ...
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-23, 15:46   Link #60
Ansible

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris
The best way to get rid of these adverts completly is to bookmark and use one of the many AnimeSuki mirrors. None of the mirror sites use advents I believe.
Nice. I've made the switch! Those ads have been getting so annoying. Does using a mirror deprive AS of income? I don't mind regular ads if it means the site stays afloat, but when the ads make the site unusable, I dunno.
Ansible is offline   Reply With Quote