AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-09-07, 02:58   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 638 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

As I'm sure you'll all recall, the last chapter left us at a thrilling cliffhanger where Luffy was ready to save the princess from the wily Van der Decken's wrath. Furthermore, Hody Jones also managed to stow away on the ancient ship that now serves as a doomsday weapon. How will the supernova deal with this threat? Well, perhaps this summary shall give us some answers (credit goes to the usual sources, of course):

-Chapter title is "Runawayhoshi". The ministory now takes us to the kingdom of Alabasta, where it's revealed that former rebel leader Kohza is now the royal minister of the environment.

-Shirahoshi attempts to escape to the sea, but as the front gate is too far she's forced to locate an alternate exit. Jinbei warns Luffy that a fish-person's strength is even further amplified when fighting underwater, and Sanji launches him towards the ship (with that same technique he used with Luffy way back in the Drum arc). He manages to reach the ship's chains, but Hody is actually a bit further ahead than the super rookie......

-Luffy notices that the townsfolk are trying to help him by slowing down Noah, but Hody once again resorts to his water bullets to stop them, which enrages the supernova. Meanwhile, Shira manages to escape to sea through the Ryuuguu palace entrance, and Luffy uses the coral to make himself a protective bubble in the ocean depths. However, Hody uses this opportunity to make a counter-strike.....

-While the two captains clash, Decken throws more knives at the princess. However, before she gets harmed even further, she's saved by..... her brothers! They reveal that Neptune instructed them to cause no damage to the ancient ship, and two of the brothers (along with Hoe) take on Decken while Shira makes her escape. Meanwhile, Fukaboshi helps out Luffy, which forces Hody to bring out a secret weapon: Kirisame, a shark fin-shaped sword! Luffy tries to reach Noah's deck, but the fish-captain beats him to it. His first action onboard the ship is then to...... stab Decken with a spear! He then asks his former partner what would become of the ship if its manipulator were to perish.....

Hmm, looks like there's a good dose of action this chapter. The only thing that confuses me is that Hody apparently stabs Decken with a spear when he just brought out a sword (which sounds like it's totally ripping off Arlong's kiribachi, BTW ). Well, at least now the punching bag stands a better chance against Luffy since he's fighting in his element. Oh, and I guess I can drop the notion of both enemy captains teaming up now, considering how the chapter ends......

And of course, it's great to see that we're at Alabasta now! Personally, I'm looking forward to Gedatsu's update more than anyone else's!
Old 2011-09-07, 03:32   Link #2
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Send a message via MSN to SOGESNAKE
Huh.... can't wait to actually SEE the ending there. Is Decken cowering in fear? Or does he have more tricks up his sleeves~?
Old 2011-09-07, 07:19   Link #3
PixelCreek
I voted Bayonetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOGESNAKE View Post
Huh.... can't wait to actually SEE the ending there. Is Decken cowering in fear? Or does he have more tricks up his sleeves~?
He got stabbed by a spear. So I'd imagine he'd be coughing up blood n' stuff. Although, I'd like to see this chapter right now too. There's so many things happening. It'll be nice to have some art to go with it
Old 2011-09-07, 08:18   Link #4
kiak666

Ha ha, as timid as our Mermaid Princess is, I'm glad that Shirahoshi's actually smart enough to use an alternate escape route since she knows that using the gate would cause Noah to destroy the bubble protecting Fishman Island. I also like how she rejects Decken AGAIN (That face of DECKEN )!!!
Old 2011-09-07, 10:44   Link #5
Eleutheria
旅行癖

Did NOT expect that last panel (at least not so fast, so soon, and so brutally).

I also feel that Noah will reach the surface, as in the last page, the waters around the mermaid princess seem to be lightening.
Old 2011-09-07, 10:56   Link #6
marvelB

Well, haven't seen any English scans yet, but the Chinese version is out now. Wow, dare I say that this chapter made Hody look like..... a credible threat for once?

Also, to clear up the confusion about the sword: It turns out it's actually a huge scythe-shaped blade that Hody wears on his back like a shark's fin (hence the name "Kirisame"), which doubles as a weapon and as a means of increasing his speed. Boy, ol' shark-boy suddenly became a lot more competent once he escaped to sea, huh.....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiak666 View Post
I also like how she rejects Decken AGAIN (That face of DECKEN )!!!

Actually, I had the impression that he was shocked by the appearance of the princes (who actually looked pretty badass protecting their sister), but yeah, the face is still hilarious nonetheless. As I said before, the chances of both captains teaming up against Luffy is pretty much nonexistent at this point, but I still think there's a possibility of the conflict turning into a 3-way battle royale.....

Edit: Okay, NOW the English version is out. And yeah, turns out Shira DID reject Decken again (my bad for my earlier assumption!). Y'know, I'm actually starting to wonder if Shira will lead Noah to the other side of the Red Line, aka the New World......

Last edited by marvelB; 2011-09-07 at 11:23.
Old 2011-09-07, 11:21   Link #7
kakakka

This is a good chapter.

I am a bit disappointed that Hodi needs to go into the water to get some advantage, but if that would even the fight a bit, I guess it'll be okay(?)

And Hodi stabbing Decken means they have to get other way to stop that huge ship.
Old 2011-09-07, 11:36   Link #8
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

This is quite a pickle, if Decken does indeed die and his ability disappears, judging from Noah's current position it'll sink straight back down and collide with Fishman Island. It's possible that Noah could be blocked and redirected in some way if that does happen, but Madame Shirley's prediction doesn't make me feel too confident about that.

Anywho, I found it funny how Luffy calls Decken, "that guy who throws a buncha shit everywhere".

Hody's dorsal-fin blade is pretty impressive too, but I wonder where he pulled it out from.

Really anxious to see what happens next.~
Old 2011-09-07, 11:38   Link #9
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Love how Hody calls Luffy an inferior being...even-though that inferior being completely humiliated him a few minutes before.
But I must say, Hody's idea is good...kill Decken and Noah falls and crushes everyone.
Old 2011-09-07, 11:42   Link #10
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
This is quite a pickle, if Decken does indeed die and his ability disappears, judging from Noah's current position it'll sink straight back down and collide with Fishman Island.

Actually, what if Hody killing Decken doesn't nullify his power? That would mean that Noah would be chasing Shira forever unless it's destroyed/stopped somehow. I mean, if Blackbeard's act during the war was any indication, it doesn't look like DF powers disappear immediately after the previous user's death.....
Old 2011-09-07, 12:14   Link #11
james0246

Don't worry. Next chapter Decken will "throw" his injury at Hody, effectively proving that he is the greatest villian of this arc ...
Old 2011-09-07, 13:13   Link #12
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
Lol, I love how it says "Murder!!" at the end.

So what's going to happen next? King Neptune doesn't want Noah to be destroyed. Yet it's the only way to stop it, unless it stops chasing after Shirahoshi since Decken might be about to die. This way, the Strawheads could stop the ship from moving entirely without destroying it, I imagine. Somehow Noah has to be related to the whole prophecy of Luffy destroying fishman island though, and the sea kings have yet to show up as well. There's no way Oda tells us of that ability and then decides not to show it at the end. Man, so many possibilities . . . but it's always this way at the end of a One Piece arc. I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 2011-09-07, 14:08   Link #13
Rainbowman

Here are my thoughts on this chapter:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
-Chapter title is "Runawayhoshi". The ministory now takes us to the kingdom of Alabasta, where it's revealed that former rebel leader Kohza is now the royal minister of the environment.
Good to see that Kohza is doing well. No need to have a ministory on Vivi as we already seen her a few times.

Quote:
-While the two captains clash, Decken throws more knives at the princess. However, before she gets harmed even further, she's saved by..... her brothers! They reveal that Neptune instructed them to cause no damage to the ancient ship, and two of the brothers (along with Hoe) take on Decken while Shira makes her escape. Meanwhile, Fukaboshi helps out Luffy, which forces Hody to bring out a secret weapon: Kirisame, a shark fin-shaped sword! Luffy tries to reach Noah's deck, but the fish-captain beats him to it. His first action onboard the ship is then to...... stab Decken with a spear! He then asks his former partner what would become of the ship if its manipulator were to perish.....
Good to see Shirahoshi is getting good protection. As for Hody stabbing Decken, probably to get at him for his betrayal.

Quote:
And of course, it's great to see that we're at Alabasta now! Personally, I'm looking forward to Gedatsu's update more than anyone else's!
Before seeing updates with Skypeia's characters, we would have to see an update with Montblanc Cricket and the residents of Jaya.
Old 2011-09-07, 14:28   Link #14
PixelCreek
I voted Bayonetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post
Before seeing updates with Skypeia's characters, we would have to see an update with Montblanc Cricket and the residents of Jaya.
Due to the events of Gedatsu's cover story, he now lives in Alabasta. I have to say I can't wait to see him too But I'm mostly looking forward to Enel and the former CP9 agents!
Old 2011-09-07, 14:28   Link #15
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post

Gedatsu is in Alabasta remember?

Anyway Hody is really a piece of shit which I'm not too surprised about since he resorted to using doping to power up. Like in this chapter he was all lording his strength over Luffy despite the fact that up until a minute ago he couldn't do shit to Luffy and if it was Zoro or Sanji up there they probably would have still beaten the shit out of him too.

I really can't wait for Luffy to get on the ship next chapter and Hody to act big like he was this chapter just to get smashed into the floor like what happened to Bellamy.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Old 2011-09-07, 14:44   Link #16
Rainbowman

You guys are right I take it. Of course while we're focused on Alabasta at the moment, we should at least have an update on the former members of Baroque Works. And if we're lucky with Vol. 64's SBS corners, we might find out about all of the real names of the Baroque Works members (Mr. 3's real name being Galdino).
Old 2011-09-07, 15:36   Link #17
marvelB

^Yeah, I've been wondering about the former BW agents, myself. After all, with the exception of Crocodile and the top agents we saw at ID/Marineford, it's been a good while since we've last seen the rest of the former agents (which was, coincidentally enough, during a previous ministory). Perhaps the new Spiders' Cafe was built somewhere in the New World......

That also reminds me: We should see updates on most of the other past villains in this ministory, as well. We already had Wapol, so maybe we'll also see what became of Bellamy and his crew when we get to Jaya (that is, if the captain himself isn't dead). Of course, there's also the matter of Eneru and his moon army (and I guess the other priests aside from Gedatsu), Foxy (though I'd still prefer for him to get his own story), and of course, CP9 (I already said in a previous thread that I'm most interested in seeing what becomes of Spandam, after all.....).

I sorta have my doubts about Oda focusing on villains/characters from beyond Thriller Bark though, since I have the feeling that he's saving them for bigger surprises in the main story proper (for instance, I doubt he'll update us on Moria for a good while after this ministory's end). The supernovas in particular are pretty iffy at this point, since I think their positions in the NW would hold a lot more suspense than these one-page stories could contain. We just saw Amazon Lily and Sabaody right after the skip took place, so it would feel a little redundant for us to get updates on Rayleigh or Hancock so soon. I could sort of see Impel Down as a possibility (since I still suspect that Hannyabal will finally achieve his goal and succeed Magellan as warden), I guess. Anything involving the new marine HQ or the revolutionaries is definitely a no-no, for similar reasons as the supernovas and Moria. But despite that, I'm definitely excited to see what further developments have taken place in the post-skip world.
Old 2011-09-07, 16:07   Link #18
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Don't worry. Next chapter Decken will "throw" his injury at Hody, effectively proving that he is the greatest villian of this arc ...
That's a brilliant idea. I'd love to see this happen. At any rate, I can't see Decken getting defeated this easily, he's always come across as a more credible threat than Hodi despite his goofiness.
Old 2011-09-07, 16:34   Link #19
grey_1960
Annie Leonhart

Chapter 638
That was not a bad chapter. If that ship starts falling that is going to suck for the Palace and Fisherman Island. Calling the Sea King seems like the only option.

Shirley's Prophecy
If they do end up saving Noah, defeat hodi, and spare Fisherman Island. Then what will that mean for the the prediction? This is the best time if any for the Prophecy to truly happen. If she is has accurate has they say, then how or when will Luffy do it?
Old 2011-09-07, 19:15   Link #20
Undertaker

Quote:
^Yeah, I've been wondering about the former BW agents, myself. After all, with the exception of Crocodile and the top agents we saw at ID/Marineford, it's been a good while since we've last seen the rest of the former agents (which was, coincidentally enough, during a previous ministory). Perhaps the new Spiders' Cafe was built somewhere in the New World......

That also reminds me: We should see updates on most of the other past villains in this ministory, as well. We already had Wapol, so maybe we'll also see what became of Bellamy and his crew when we get to Jaya (that is, if the captain himself isn't dead). Of course, there's also the matter of Eneru and his moon army (and I guess the other priests aside from Gedatsu), Foxy (though I'd still prefer for him to get his own story), and of course, CP9 (I already said in a previous thread that I'm most interested in seeing what becomes of Spandam, after all.....).

I sorta have my doubts about Oda focusing on villains/characters from beyond Thriller Bark though, since I have the feeling that he's saving them for bigger surprises in the main story proper (for instance, I doubt he'll update us on Moria for a good while after this ministory's end). The supernovas in particular are pretty iffy at this point, since I think their positions in the NW would hold a lot more suspense than these one-page stories could contain. We just saw Amazon Lily and Sabaody right after the skip took place, so it would feel a little redundant for us to get updates on Rayleigh or Hancock so soon. I could sort of see Impel Down as a possibility (since I still suspect that Hannyabal will finally achieve his goal and succeed Magellan as warden), I guess. Anything involving the new marine HQ or the revolutionaries is definitely a no-no, for similar reasons as the supernovas and Moria. But despite that, I'm definitely excited to see what further developments have taken place in the post-skip world.

I agree, I was thinking that will probably see the Supernovas as reaction scenes on this arc. Personally I doubt the mini story will extend beyond W7 and Iceberg. One thing I am a bit worried was that I was betting on this mini story to end alongside this arc. So I thought the mini-story is probably 10-15 chapters away (mix in with a few non-story covers) and that was like 5 chapters ago. But it seems to me the ministory is really taking its time on showcasing every minor character, which have me worried that this arc is still going to take a good while like another 40-50 chapters....