AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-08-15, 03:25   Link #3441
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Modern Calendar.
So what's the "Before" version of it? BMC? Or OC(Old Calendar)/AC(Ancient Calendar)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouTakuya View Post
Why does Nanoha and Fate are on different division?
Different career dreams. Fate wants to fight crime, of which the Enforcers are the best (or most famous, at least). While good combat skills are necessary, equally important are investigation skills.

Nanoha wants to be the best air mage, which in the TSAB belongs to the Air Instructors. Air mages are focused less on investigating stuff and more on establishing and maintaining air superiority AKA blow shit up.
Old 2011-08-15, 03:27   Link #3442
ShouTakuya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Different career dreams. Fate wants to fight crime, of which the Enforcers are the best (or most famous, at least). While good combat skills are necessary, equally important are investigation skills.

Nanoha wants to be the best air mage, which in the TSAB belongs to the Air Instructors. Air mages are focused less on investigating stuff and more on establishing and maintaining air superiority.
thanks for the quick reply, another question

Why is Hayate's rank higher than Nanoha and Fate?
Old 2011-08-15, 03:34   Link #3443
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
thanks for the quick reply, another question

Hayate's mostly useless in one-on-one combat, and felt her skills are better used in the chain of command, thus she's actively trying to increase her rank. Nanoha's comfortable with her rank and position as an instructor, and Fate doesn't seem to *have* an actual rank, being an Enforcer, but most agree that the Enforcer status is about even with the rank of Captain.
Old 2011-08-15, 10:31   Link #3444
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Koveras Alvane Send a message via MSN to Koveras Alvane
Quote:
So what's the "Before" version of it? BMC? Or OC(Old Calendar)/AC(Ancient Calendar)?
Old Calender AFAIK.

Quote:
Genya explains in StrikerS that higher-ranked mages get promoted faster in the armed forces hierarchy. Hayate is SS-ranked (thanks to inheriting Reinforce's Linker Core), while Nanoha is "merely" S+ (and even she has to refuse promotion, see StrikerS epilogue). Fate doesn't have any rank: she is an Enforcer, a more-or-less civilian position, albeit one with enormous authority--in fact, it's probably higher than Armed Forces Captain but Hayate wanted Fate in the field, so that's what her "courtesy rank" was.

On a side note, by Force, Hayate is the "Naval Investigation Cammander" (海上警備部捜査司令と) on the Mid. Given the Bureau's preference for euphemisms when it comes to armed forces (Genya's Battalion 108 is an "investigative unit", for instance), that probably means she has command over the entire (wet) navy of Mid-Childa, which pretty much places her among the Admirals... The Japanese wiki claims she is still Lt.Col., however, but I don't recall that being stated anywhere in the manga.

Last edited by Koveras Alvane; 2011-08-15 at 10:45.
Old 2011-08-15, 11:08   Link #3445
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koveras Alvane View Post
Fate doesn't have any rank: she is an Enforcer, a more-or-less civilian position, albeit one with enormous authority--in fact, it's probably higher than Armed Forces Captain but Hayate wanted Fate in the field, so that's what her "courtesy rank" was.
Civillian?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagumo View Post
Enforcer (CD 1 Track 02)
One of the positions within the TSAB, only attainable by those with the capabilities to pass the certification exam.
Qualified individuals are authorized to handle [command/oversee any and all parties involved any judicial/law enforcement matters to any unit they are assigned/attached to]. (Note: er, what? Does this mean Fate is the equivalent to a federal law enforcement type or state security SS/FBI/Stasi? Those intimidating black uniforms make sense then. For those who want to translate: [所属部隊における事件および法務案件の統括担当者].)
Enforcers who are clerical/office work oriented are assigned to their units/corps and generally oversee/are in charge of judicial affairs. More independent Enforcers who are especially skilled in pursuing/tracking/investigating tend to concentrate on following cases/incidents that require their full attention and abilities.
(Note: 内勤派の者は所属部隊の法務を全般的に担当し、独立派の者は自身が追跡を得意とする種別の事件を専任で指揮 ・担当する傾向がある。)
The position requires a highly diverse range of knowledge and skills. However since the JS incident, the Adminstration Bureau decided to expand its fight to eliminate internal corruption and raised the difficulty/bar of its already difficult exam further which lowered the pass rate, but Teana who long aspired to be an Enforcer safely passed the exam.
Old 2011-08-15, 11:34   Link #3446
ShouTakuya

Quote:
Genya explains in StrikerS that higher-ranked mages get promoted faster in the armed forces hierarchy. Hayate is SS-ranked (thanks to inheriting Reinforce's Linker Core), while Nanoha is "merely" S+ (and even she has to refuse promotion, see StrikerS epilogue). Fate doesn't have any rank: she is an Enforcer, a more-or-less civilian position, albeit one with enormous authority--in fact, it's probably higher than Armed Forces Captain but Hayate wanted Fate in the field, so that's what her "courtesy rank" was.
Who was the armed forces captain btw? and I read in Wikipedia that Fate is S+ rank as well. If she has no rank to begin with, then why is her magic strength being limit?

thanks for the answers so far ^^
Old 2011-08-15, 13:30   Link #3447
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Who was the armed forces captain btw? and I read in Wikipedia that Fate is S+ rank as well. If she has no rank to begin with, then why is her magic strength being limit?

thanks for the answers so far ^^
She has no military rank. Her magic rank is something else entirely.
Old 2011-08-15, 13:36   Link #3448
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Koveras Alvane Send a message via MSN to Koveras Alvane
Quote:
Civillian?
In the sense that it's not military, that is, armed forces. Enforcers don't fit into the regular chain of command and report directly to the head office. Basically, they are like Spectres in the ME universe - half-superspies, half-black ops.

Quote:
Who was the armed forces captain btw?
Nanoha is a bona fide Captain of the Aerial Tactical Instructor Corps, which is part of the TSAB Armed Forces. When Fate was loaned by the main office to the Ground Forces, part of which was the Riot Force 6, she was given a courtesy rank of Captain, equal to Nanoha. When RF6 disbanded, she went right back to the Enforcers.

Quote:
and I read in Wikipedia that Fate is S+ rank as well. If she has no rank to begin with, then why is her magic strength being limit?
You are confusing the mage rank with armed forces rank. Mage rank is an estimate of the mage's magical potential; armed forces rank indicates the position of the individual within the hierarchy and the amount of authority s/he wields in the armed forces. Fate is a very powerful mage and, as an Enforcer, holds very high authority in legal matters. She has no direct authority over the armed ground forces, so when she was loaned to RF6, she was given the courtesy (temporary) rank to simplify the matters and specify her place in the chain of command.
Old 2011-08-15, 14:03   Link #3449
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
In the sense that it's not military, that is, armed forces. Enforcers don't fit into the regular chain of command and report directly to the head office. Basically, they are like Spectres in the ME universe - half-superspies, half-black ops.
I wouldn't say Enforcers are super-spies and black-ops, given what we've seen of them. They're more like FBI agents.
Old 2011-08-15, 14:21   Link #3450
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
I wouldn't say Enforcers are super-spies and black-ops, given what we've seen of them. They're more like FBI agents.
*Imagines Fate as 007*

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Old 2011-08-15, 18:53   Link #3451
al103
Grumpy Russian bear

Send a message via ICQ to al103
Quote:
Nanoha is a bona fide Captain of the Aerial Tactical Instructor Corps, which is part of the TSAB Armed Forces.
And yet she is referred as Instructor on duty in ATIC, not as Captain. I think both Enforcer and Tactical Instructor are cases where position supersedes rank - just for Enforcers it supersedes rank in such variety of things that they don't use it normally. So Fate most likely IS captain, just being Enforcer is much more important.

PS. Also Nanoha/job, Honor/job and Rein/Agito.
PPS. Proud Athrun/Cagalli/Meyrin shipper.
Old 2011-08-15, 19:09   Link #3452
ShouTakuya

Quote:

Nanoha is a bona fide Captain of the Aerial Tactical Instructor Corps, which is part of the TSAB Armed Forces. When Fate was loaned by the main office to the Ground Forces, part of which was the Riot Force 6, she was given a courtesy rank of Captain, equal to Nanoha. When RF6 disbanded, she went right back to the Enforcers.

You are confusing the mage rank with armed forces rank. Mage rank is an estimate of the mage's magical potential; armed forces rank indicates the position of the individual within the hierarchy and the amount of authority s/he wields in the armed forces. Fate is a very powerful mage and, as an Enforcer, holds very high authority in legal matters. She has no direct authority over the armed ground forces, so when she was loaned to RF6, she was given the courtesy (temporary) rank to simplify the matters and specify her place in the chain of command.
it all make sense to me now...

thank you for the answer
Old 2011-08-15, 21:20   Link #3453
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Just because a unit or formation doesn't follow a regular chain of command doesn't justify calling them "civilian"(a person who is not a member of his or her country's armed forces or other militia) . The TSAB is an "Interdimensional Security Force", and the Enforcer Corps are part of it - if you consider the TSAB as military, then so do the Enforcers. Heck, in some country even the Police Force are explicitly considered to be part of the armed forces as a whole.

Besides, that Enforcers are also expected to go into combat means they're considered "combatants", depriving them of any "civilian" status .

Question: Do the Bureau has any other shipyard beside the one inside the death trap TSAB Headquarters?
Old 2011-08-16, 00:47   Link #3454
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Quote:
Question: Do the Bureau has any other shipyard beside the one inside the death trap TSAB Headquarters?
None that we've seen so far AFAIK. Maybe above some advanced worlds like Vaizen, but there were none above Mid-Childa in StrikerS (otherwise they wouldn't have to recall Chrono's fleet to counter the Cradle), so I wouldn't make any bets...
Old 2011-08-16, 03:59   Link #3455
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
She better team up with someone making unfunny jokes about the dead.
Old 2011-08-16, 10:16   Link #3456
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Where it came from that bit about Signum being "proficient with breaking binds" on the wikia?

I know she breaks Fate's binds on Vita but aside of that i didn't se her do that again, also seems to a be a pretty inconsistent power since she was easily binded by the Lieze Twins near the end of A's.

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Old 2011-08-17, 22:48   Link #3457
WarpObscura
Bibliophile

When a cartridge backfires, does it blow up on the user? With how much power does this happen? Are there any other side-effects?

Yo dawg, I heard you like QB...

Thanks MAEt for the av!
Old 2011-08-18, 00:28   Link #3458
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpObscura View Post
When a cartridge backfires, does it blow up on the user? With how much power does this happen? Are there any other side-effects?
Has that even happened in canon? o__O
Old 2011-08-18, 00:43   Link #3459
ZeroIchiNi

Send a message via AIM to ZeroIchiNi
Quote:
Has that even happened in canon? o__O
The only thing I can think of is when Nanoha almost gotten herself killed.

I always wonder what would happen if those cartridge gets damage. Do they Explode or they will turn into duds?
Old 2011-08-18, 02:06   Link #3460
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

As far as I know, the only thing that's explored the possibility is Admiral Tigerclaw's fic. Otherwise, nothing in the canon.