AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-07-17, 13:17   Link #2141
HurricaneHige
Uguu~

I leave it next to my TV but in a pretty open area, and I usually play for a good 7-8 hrs before I need to a rest (PS3 probably could go for longer). So no...it doesn't really have a heating problem as long as you keep it at a relatively open area.

Also...BB is sweet, welcome to the club =D
Old 2009-07-17, 14:43   Link #2142
Kid Ying
Pon pon pon

Hum... I never thought about ventilation and stuff... I just leave my PS3 next to the tv, like i always did with all my other consoles... But i think i should care, cause he doesn't have much rest with me... Even when i'm not playing, i leave him on....

And hey, the add-on for Wipeout, wipeout fury, is going to cost ten dollars! I looove wipeout and i'm very hyped for this one, specially because it's a nice opportunity to play the main game some more.
Kid Ying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-17, 16:52   Link #2143
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Does the PS3 really have overheating problems? The shop owner told its best to let it cool after 3 hours, but I heard of people leaving them on the entire day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XgSCcoOuYI
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-17, 22:02   Link #2144
Shadow Kira01

The PS3 is my favorite console of the 7th-gen series but unfortunately.. SO4 didn't make it to the console and thus, I cannot buy it. I thought there was a port but it turns out that Square-Enix have no such plans as that they are making Final Fantasy Versus XIII a PS3-exclusive.
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-18, 00:15   Link #2145
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Goddamit, I was putting my PS3 upright just because it looked cooler that way. It looks very nice since my desktop case and my 360 (also upright) are all in a row.

I know this ain't the proper thread, but just wondering, does the 360 have the same heating issues as with the PS3 in the upright position? Is it better horizontal as with the PS3?

As for the PS2 BC, I've heard rumours like that since around the time I got my PS3 (it was during the transition period from 60gb to 80 gb, as I was debating then whether to get the 60gb immediately). While I have no doubt that the PS3 is powerful enough to emulate PS2 with proper software, it's going to take a while for it to be fully functional, I think. Even the 360 is not fully BC yet, and they're at it far longer than Sony has.

So even if the PS3 will be fully PS2 BC in the future, I for one am very happy with every cent I spent on my PS3, since on the mean time I get to play games like P3/P4, AT1/2, MK1 and soon MK2 and Sakura Taisen V without worrying about compatibility, or hooking another system to my display.
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-18, 02:00   Link #2146
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Goddamit, I was putting my PS3 upright just because it looked cooler that way. It looks very nice since my desktop case and my 360 (also upright) are all in a row.

I know this ain't the proper thread, but just wondering, does the 360 have the same heating issues as with the PS3 in the upright position? Is it better horizontal as with the PS3?
This may be a stupid question - you did put the PS3 upright in the right way, right? Afaik the right side has ventilation holes, so you should put it on it's left side (so that the blu-ray drive bay is on top and usb slots are on the bottom).

Quote:
As for the PS2 BC, I've heard rumours like that since around the time I got my PS3 (it was during the transition period from 60gb to 80 gb, as I was debating then whether to get the 60gb immediately). While I have no doubt that the PS3 is powerful enough to emulate PS2 with proper software, it's going to take a while for it to be fully functional, I think. Even the 360 is not fully BC yet, and they're at it far longer than Sony has.
http://www.siliconera.com/2009/06/29...ll-processors/
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-18, 02:01   Link #2147
Sides

Quote:
Techinically that would be the best way to position the ps3, due to airflow. Anyone telling you something else, just laught at them. But the ps3 is designed to work both ways, so it doesn't matter how you place it, just leave some open space around it and it should be fine.
That guy in the video is talking nonsense, just look at bit closer at the images and you'll notice that he has no clue what he is talking about.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-18, 02:30   Link #2148
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
That guy in the video is talking nonsense, just look at bit closer at the images and you'll notice that he has no clue what he is talking about.
I was ignoring his long winded comments all the time actually. What should be the focus are the thermal photographs in the the video as they shows how the heat is buildup in the PS3 since the subject of overheating of PS3 was brought into question, with the YLOD and bluray drive failure issues still hanging around and all.

BTW, I prefer my PS3 horizontal since that is the position which offer the most base area and I do not want to accidentally knock that piece of expensive hardware over. With spaces for ventilation on the side, of course.
Old 2009-07-18, 03:20   Link #2149
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
I was ignoring his long winded comments all the time actually. What should be the focus are the thermal photographs in the the video as they shows how the heat is buildup in the PS3 since the subject of overheating of PS3 was brought into question, with the YLOD and bluray drive failure issues still hanging around and all.
Afaik, the heat is mostly generated by the PSU, unless the 16mm fan dies.
Those thermal images are questionable. The second image makes no sense, you see a lot of heat on the vent holes, next to the blu-ray drive. Now if i can remember my thermofluid classes, thermography can only display the radiation, if it isn't blocked/insulated. So maybe it means that the those are the most efficent vent points. If you want to find out where the most heat is generated inside the PS3, you have to take the case off and do another scan. At the moment we can read a lot of different things into those images. I could tell you, for example, that the red spots are the heat leakeage point of the ps3 case, and that the ps3 is good insulated.

As far for YLOD, it is a non specific hardware error, so i can be anything, not just overheating. Somethime it could be actually a failure with the PSU, the HDD, blu-ray drive or something else. Unlike the 360's RROD the, YLOD can virtually be anything.
Old 2009-07-18, 03:36   Link #2150
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
As far for YLOD, it is a non specific hardware error, so i can be anything, not just overheating. Somethime it could be actually a failure with the PSU, the HDD, blu-ray drive or something else. Unlike the 360's RROD the, YLOD can virtually be anything.
Well then, there's at least one case of overheating in a PS3 and the Cell Processor got fried :-

Old 2009-07-18, 03:48   Link #2151
Sides

Quote:
Well then, there's at least one case of overheating in a PS3 and the Cell Processor got fried :-

That is the I/O bridge, which sits next to the A/V outputs.
Old 2009-07-18, 04:16   Link #2152
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
That is the I/O bridge, which sits next to the A/V outputs.
And the chip featured is the Cell Broadband Engine companion chip which handles I/O for the whole mobo. Still technically a Cell Chip, right ?

Last edited by MakubeX2; 2009-07-18 at 04:48.
Old 2009-07-18, 06:43   Link #2153
Sides

Quote:
And the chip featured is the Cell Broadband Engine companion chip which handles I/O for the whole mobo. Still technically a Cell Chip, right ?
Sorry, don't know the answer. I'm 50% sure that the chip is a bridge chip, however it is unlikely toshi's SCC, aka companion chip. But normally i would say the CBE is only made up of the PPE, SPE, inbuild memory interface and Flex I/O. The Flex I/O communicates with the bridge I/O and RSX and is on the same silicon as the PPE and SPE.
Old 2009-07-26, 06:29   Link #2154
Sides

Yay, sega is working on RGG 4, and it is for the ps3. The news was announced on the rgg portal site.

I reckon most of you have already heard about the best trophy currently available on the ps3. That pretty much sums up what i think about trophies and achievements in videogames, pulling people away from social lives.
Old 2009-07-26, 10:27   Link #2155
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
I reckon most of you have already heard about the best trophy currently available on the ps3. That pretty much sums up what i think about trophies and achievements in videogames, pulling people away from social lives.
Heh. I wonder how much time it really takes to achieve that trophy.

I guess this is a good oppurtunity to tell anyone who doesn't know it yet that the first game will be released under the name Agerest: Generations of War in Europe in September.

There will be no US release (as far as I know), but as the PS3 is region free you could import it from sites like Game.co.uk*.

According to a representative from the publisher on GameFAQs, the game will be released with Japanese audio in tact, and in fact that'll be the only audio track. All text will be translated of course (which is a good thing because based on the Japanese demo, the battle system seems a bit complicated). He also mentioned the game will be released without edits or cuts.

The game didn't get brilliant scores (a 6 average by Famitsu), but the concept of the game alone makes me want to try it.

*) Disclaimer: I've never ordered from them before, so I can't guarantee reliability. I might end up ordering from them myself if Amazon.co.uk hasn't listed it by the time of release.
Old 2009-07-26, 23:38   Link #2156
Kid Ying
Pon pon pon

If i remember right, Cross Edge got a trophy with that exactly same name, but is not after time, it's from getting every possible title in the game, which is no easy task.
Kid Ying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 06:24   Link #2157
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

http://kotaku.com/5323395/europe-fin...ting-psn-cards

Sounds good, no?
Old 2009-07-27, 11:23   Link #2158
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Ying View Post
If i remember right, Cross Edge got a trophy with that exactly same name, but is not after time, it's from getting every possible title in the game, which is no easy task.
That is right, in both cases you have to unlock all trophies and you'll get hikikomori as the final one automatically. I think every game should have hikikomori as the final trophy and sony should give everyone a 2D waifu ^^ as a bonus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
*) Disclaimer: I've never ordered from them before, so I can't guarantee reliability. I might end up ordering from them myself if Amazon.co.uk hasn't listed it by the time of release.
Game is one of the bigger game retailer in the UK, i do occasionally order game from them, if they have titles on offer. For non uk address they do charge p&p.
Old 2009-07-29, 10:11   Link #2159
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Anyone know where I can pre-order the collector's edition of Agarest online? Game.co.uk seems to only have one version, which I assume is the regular edition. What can I say, I'm a big sucker for these things.

And for those interested, it seems Aksys will be bringing in Agarest stateside via PSN (along with Battle Fantasia). Being someone who loves to have their own hard copy of the game, I for one am not interested. But for those who want to save an extra buck or two, you can bet it's going to be way cheaper than importing from Europe.
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-29, 11:10   Link #2160
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Ghostlight (European publisher) indicated that the Japanese audio alone for Agarest is 15GB - how do they want to distribute Agarest without ripping that out?

Edit - Joystiq indicates "this may be the largest PSN download of all time":
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/07/28/re...tation-network

While it's peanuts to put a larger HDD in a PS3, something like a 16GB download is going to take a very long while to download even on reasonably fast connections, and is probably going to take a whole day installing

@DragoonKain3: it's not even on Amazon.co.uk yet, so you probably just have to wait a few days/weeks longer.

Last edited by GHDpro; 2009-07-29 at 11:56. Reason: The whole game is 16GB according to GameFAQs

Tags
console, ps3, sony