AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-04-15, 07:18   Link #1961
Nosauz

if you look at it, multiplat developers never offer different content, because number 1 it alienates their fans, by creating two skus, you create more confusing about the product, this is different when it comes to Microsoft's money hat bullshit, because then the time exclusivity is being subsidized by Microsoft, so to say its for a developers best interest to produce additional content is just stupid. They will continue to sell units of software if they didn't so the marginal cost really doesn't justify the precieved benefit. Unless sony money hats the extra content, then a developer is going to sell the same amount of units if they didn't add content. This is a trend with multiplat developers and beyond the really stupid money hats involved, its better business for developers just to producs one sku across platforms with out dilutings their clout with what many seem to think are silly money grabs.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 07:48   Link #1962
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Is it? Microsoft gets a timed exclusive, in the case of Vesperia that means that many gamers already have a copy of the game. What then do you do to make your port attractive? What do you do to persuade the gamers who already own a 360 copy of the game, or have played it at a friends', to buy a 360 version?

Additional or unique content is something that has been going on in Japan for quite some time, and is starting to be done over here as well. To say that 'multiplat developers never offer different content' is quite frankly false.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 08:46   Link #1963
Kid Ying
Pon pon pon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays View Post
Actually there is a NA MGS4 LE, I should know because I own it:

Wow, i'm jealous now. Since i got my MGS4 in the bundle, it's just the normal version...
Kid Ying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 11:29   Link #1964
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Is it? Microsoft gets a timed exclusive, in the case of Vesperia that means that many gamers already have a copy of the game. What then do you do to make your port attractive? What do you do to persuade the gamers who already own a 360 copy of the game, or have played it at a friends', to buy a 360 version?

Additional or unique content is something that has been going on in Japan for quite some time, and is starting to be done over here as well. To say that 'multiplat developers never offer different content' is quite frankly false.
activision, capcom, i can go on listing multiplat developers that never offer any new content, money hats aside... multiplats have no reason to do this, because it splinter their fanbase which the console makers don't really care about. I'll just say this, other than console exclusives, multiplats that end up taking this practice will end up suffering. Why? because money hats and additional content is just a barrier to entry for the consumer and creates confusion about the base product, also the tales "added" content is actually on the 360 disc, which is even more infuriating to 360 owners who own the game, if tale was sold as something different such as tales plus some subtitle that distinguished it from the 360 title then that would be fine, but other uses pay the exact same amount who recieve more content... it just seems that fans of the series and not the consoles are the ones that suffer, which in the end will hurt the developer not the console maker.

Additional content didn't happen till ps2/xbox gen and even then there was no significant additions, when it was cartrdige versus disc, and even when it was a cartridge only environment there was no "added" content, this only has arrised from money hats that both sony and microsoft use to get "timed" exclusives. I'm just saying that in the end the developers suffer the repricussions of time exclusives and additional content drama and basically the console maker comes out unscathed.
Old 2009-04-15, 11:38   Link #1965
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
if tale was sold as something different such as tales plus some subtitle that distinguished it from the 360 title then that would be fine, but other uses pay the exact same amount who recieve more content...
Note: One year + exact same amount.
Old 2009-04-15, 13:53   Link #1966
KDG

PS3 has a great advantage in japan caompared with 360.
Toro-Station
so many funny news are on air
And,US ver PS3 needs this kind of free contents.

Not only about games

Alicia

Edie

Sneaking mission to Kojima pro with Old Snake

Dante and Nero

And more and more characters from so many PS3 games

My room is full of toys and posters
KDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 14:23   Link #1967
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
activision, capcom, i can go on listing multiplat developers that never offer any new content, money hats aside... multiplats have no reason to do this, because it splinter their fanbase which the console makers don't really care about. I'll just say this, other than console exclusives, multiplats that end up taking this practice will end up suffering. Why? because money hats and additional content is just a barrier to entry for the consumer and creates confusion about the base product, also the tales "added" content is actually on the 360 disc, which is even more infuriating to 360 owners who own the game, if tale was sold as something different such as tales plus some subtitle that distinguished it from the 360 title then that would be fine, but other uses pay the exact same amount who recieve more content... it just seems that fans of the series and not the consoles are the ones that suffer, which in the end will hurt the developer not the console maker.

Additional content didn't happen till ps2/xbox gen and even then there was no significant additions, when it was cartrdige versus disc, and even when it was a cartridge only environment there was no "added" content, this only has arrised from money hats that both sony and microsoft use to get "timed" exclusives. I'm just saying that in the end the developers suffer the repricussions of time exclusives and additional content drama and basically the console maker comes out unscathed.
Yes, not every developer adds extra content on ports, but that is a far cry from your claim that no multiplatform developer does so. Which is false.

And it is a clever strategy. Here's an example: As a European, I have yet to play Vesperia, as it has not yet launched here. If given the choice between Vesperia for the 360 and the PS3, what would strike the balance for me?

Another way of looking at it is from the eyes of PS3 owners who do not have a 360. They had to wait a full year because Microsoft decided to be, to put it in your words, a 'money hat.' Giving some extra content to the PS3 owners for having to wait a year is like a plaster to a wound.
Old 2009-04-15, 14:36   Link #1968
Nosauz

no its unfair to the early adpoters of the software. Again this is a negative to the consumer not the developer, and in the end the negative "money grab" badly influences the developer.

pst.. duo, did I not say money hat is rediculous. Really time exclusives are just like what the anime industry does to regions outside of japan, and users shouldn't stand for it.
Old 2009-04-15, 14:52   Link #1969
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

And the fact that the PS3 players had to wait a whole year before being allowed to play the game isn't unfair? That's quite a double standard you have there.
Old 2009-04-15, 16:41   Link #1970
Nosauz

WOW its like you have zero reading comprehension...
I said... money hats, and additional content are stupid things that console makers do, to fraction the developers fan base which in turn lead to developer lash back from the consumer. If you don't know what a money hat is, well its a large sum of money to get a "timed" exclusive which really in my mind is just stupid but w/e.
Old 2009-04-15, 16:52   Link #1971
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
WOW its like you have zero reading comprehension...
The use of the money hat term was confusing. Thanks for explaining.

Anyway, so you agree that it's unfair for PS3 players to have to wait for a full year before being able to play Vesperia, then what is your problem with giving those players a bit of extra content? It's not as if that content won't be available for the 360 as DLC anyway.

Last edited by Keroko; 2009-04-15 at 17:43.
Old 2009-04-15, 17:33   Link #1972
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

PS3 Sales Gap to 360
Old 2009-04-15, 17:56   Link #1973
Aka
Green Trees
*Artist

Nosauz @ This has been around since the the beginning of the video game industry - you need to get over it. Majority of games get these "exclusive content" when moved to another console all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Anyway, so you agree that it's unfair for PS3 players to have to wait for a full year before being able to play Vesperia, then what is your problem with giving those players a bit of extra content? It's not as if that content won't be available for the 360 as DLC anyway.
Just ignore it - just talking about what he thinks is right & wrong, I'm not sure sure if Vesperia's PS3 EC(exclusive content) will be coming to the 360 at all, take Eternal Sonata for example.
Old 2009-04-15, 23:03   Link #1974
5cm.per.second
SunnyEnvironmentGoneWrong

I'm just happy I'll get to be able to play Vesperia when I thought I'd never be able to.
5cm.per.second is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 23:55   Link #1975
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aka View Post
Nosauz @ This has been around since the the beginning of the video game industry - you need to get over it. Majority of games get these "exclusive content" when moved to another console all the time.

Just ignore it - just talking about what he thinks is right & wrong, I'm not sure sure if Vesperia's PS3 EC(exclusive content) will be coming to the 360 at all, take Eternal Sonata for example.
It's been less aggravating then of late, really, microsofts stupid time exclusives just makes gaming in general such a pain for people who don't understand it. Seriously, I remember my Grandma picking me up Tales and having me facepalm the entire way to the gamestop to go return since I couldn't play it cuz dur I have a ps3. The point is it servers ZERO benefit to the consumer and the developer and only the console maker profits.
Keroko said that it creates incentive for those that had to wait to buy it, but you know what it disenfranchises those that already payed for it. It's like you getting a free meal when I just get entree, but the reason you get this benefit is solely based on the profits made from my sale. I'm just saying when new games don't devalue even after time, and the fact that new copies of say resistance were going for retail until resistance 2 was release just shows you that if they didn't add the exclusive content, released at the same price people would buy it. My point isn't that its unfair for exclusive content, but that the way the platform wars are fought are really unfair to US the gamers and those that make the games. Don't even get me started about orange box, that's just a title should have been just a damn exclusive due to the lack of support, glad I got the pc version for the cheap eh.
Old 2009-04-16, 03:04   Link #1976
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDG View Post
PS3 has a great advantage in japan caompared with 360.
Toro-Station
so many funny news are on air
And,US ver PS3 needs this kind of free contents.
Seriously.

The PS3 in Japan might as well be a different machine offering different services once you compare the Japanese PSN to the versions that the rest of the world has.

Just take a look at the Japanese PSN store for instance. Xenogears? FFVII? A lot of PS classics are being sold there.

Differences between gaming audiences and all that, I know... but considering some of those games have been localized for this side of the world already, it's unfortunate that such a regional gap exists.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 03:55   Link #1977
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Keroko said that it creates incentive for those that had to wait to buy it, but you know what it disenfranchises those that already payed for it. It's like you getting a free meal when I just get entree, but the reason you get this benefit is solely based on the profits made from my sale. I'm just saying when new games don't devalue even after time, and the fact that new copies of say resistance were going for retail until resistance 2 was release just shows you that if they didn't add the exclusive content, released at the same price people would buy it.
I have no doubt that if games are released at the same time, people would buy the one for the console they liked the most. However, the point here is that Vesperia wasn't released at the same time. You use the logic that it's unfair towards the 360 players, but what if they did release a one-on-one port? Wouldn't that be unfair to the PS3 players?

Whether or not you don't like timed-exclusives is irrelevant here. Fact is, the PS3 version was delayed because of this. How are you going to make up to your PS3 players, if not with exclusive content?

You see it as unfair, I see the exclusive content as a service. A reward for PS3 players for waiting so long.

It should also be noted that in cases like this, where a game-port is released long after the initial release, gaming magazines will actually penalize a game if it doesn't have exclusive content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
Seriously.

The PS3 in Japan might as well be a different machine offering different services once you compare the Japanese PSN to the versions that the rest of the world has.

Just take a look at the Japanese PSN store for instance. Xenogears? FFVII? A lot of PS classics are being sold there.

Differences between gaming audiences and all that, I know... but considering some of those games have been localized for this side of the world already, it's unfortunate that such a regional gap exists.
You think the US store is bad? Try the European one. I made a US account just to be able to have a decent store.

I want my Legend of the Dragoon download. ;_;
Old 2009-04-16, 06:05   Link #1978
TubZzz
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to TubZzz
the Australian store is worse than the European one... i think the reason the Japan store got FFVII now is because the original game for the PS was released there first... i'm sure we'll see FFVII in the US store soon

Last edited by TubZzz; 2009-04-16 at 06:07. Reason: typo
TubZzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 06:11   Link #1979
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Doesn't Australia have it the worst as a gaming region in general?
Old 2009-04-16, 06:33   Link #1980
Nosauz

you really don't get it..., the 360 fans get shafted and really I could give a rats ass what console you have, my idea is that the gamer comes first and to say that these exclusives are unfair to those who purchased the game earlier, no matter how you look at it the gamer suffers... thats it, there is no arguement about it.

Tags
console, ps3, sony