Notices

Old 2008-11-06, 19:28   Link #221
OtseisRagnarok
Manifesto
*Author

Send a message via AIM to OtseisRagnarok
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNhite View Post
On Thriller Bark, when Absolam had her in the shower, I honestly started freaking out thinking Oda would actually let one of his characters get raped right on panel.
It didn't go that far, but the fact that he actually showed her being sexually assaulted scared the shit out of me. Now those guys who do hentai doujins have concrete material to base themselves on.

On to a new topic; I'm quite pleased with Nami's character development throughout the series. I personally feels she's one of the character's who's grown the most in terms of outlook with the possible exception of Usopp.
To me, Nami has always been the picture figure of the phrase "independent woman"(at least until Robin up-staged her) and seeing her in particular start to rely and depend on her crew was a real moment in the story and one that's kept growing throughout the crew's adventures.

The fact that she's become a part of regular combat is a nice touch as well.
True that. At the beginning, she was little more than the stereotypical damsel in distress. And while she maintains the horrible luck of that old monacre, she's transcended to the point where she can actually defend herself. It's like if Lois Lane suddenly had super-strength.
OtseisRagnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-10, 16:39   Link #222
Dark Mage

I really would like NamixLuffy to work out because Nami definiteley cares alot for Luffy and Luffy also trusts her alot but he is too much in love with his dream so I think Nami is waiting for Luffi to notice her. But What I would like to lonow is does this manga have any romance at all, like in Naruto and Bleach they atleast give hints but Onepiece seriously needs a bit of Romance or a confession by Nami like what Orihime did in Bleach or like Sakura in Naruto. This manga definitely lacks some drama
Dark Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-10, 16:42   Link #223
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Mage View Post
I really would like NamixLuffy to work out because Nami definiteley cares alot for Luffy and Luffy also trusts her alot but he is too much in love with his dream so I think Nami is waiting for Luffi to notice her. But What I would like to lonow is does this manga have any romance at all, like in Naruto and Bleach they atleast give hints but Onepiece seriously needs a bit of Romance or a confession by Nami like what Orihime did in Bleach or like Sakura in Naruto. This manga definitely lacks some drama
This manga will never have any romance.

Like Luffy, Nami's love is all for her dreams only. Other than her love for navigation and mapping the world, her next love is cash and gold.

The only romannce that will happen in this story is the people and their passion for their dreams.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-11, 02:05   Link #224
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post

Like Luffy, Nami's love is all for her dreams only. Other than her love for navigation and mapping the world, her next love is cash and gold.

The only romannce that will happen in this story is the people and their passion for their dreams.
Way to state the obvious. < BORING!
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-11, 15:10   Link #225
OtseisRagnarok
Manifesto
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post

Sanji dreams about Nami a lot....
Old 2008-11-11, 20:25   Link #226
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtseisRagnarok View Post
Only because he's a pervert. Nami would not have any feelings of love for him whatsoever. I'm holding my breath (figuritively) on the LuffyxNami relation for as long as it takes. I also have hopes for a SanjixRobin relation, that is if Sanji could ever do anything to have Robin love him in which case he'll need a lot of support to make it happen. < "This won't be easy"
Old 2008-11-12, 19:44   Link #227
BlackNhite
Best of both worlds

Location: A land far, far away... or very, very close, depends on where you live
Enough of this Nami pairing garbage, the topic's getting stale.
Let's move on...

So, we've seen kind of a rise in Nami's prowess as a support fighter and I must say she comes up with some interesting techniques. But with the incentive that all the Strawhats need to get stronger, what wil Nami do?

What's the next step for our resident "Storm Goddess"?
Oh damn, that just gave me an odd image...
With the way One Piece works and the improvements Nami's been making since Alabasta, I could see her as a parody of X-men's Storm at some latter point in the series.

If I ever see Nami ride the wind...
BlackNhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-12, 21:42   Link #228
Rainbowman

Quote:
Enough of this Nami pairing garbage, the topic's getting stale.
Let's move on...

So, we've seen kind of a rise in Nami's prowess as a support fighter and I must say she comes up with some interesting techniques. But with the incentive that all the Strawhats need to get stronger, what wil Nami do?

What's the next step for our resident "Storm Goddess"?
Oh damn, that just gave me an odd image...
With the way One Piece works and the improvements Nami's been making since Alabasta, I could see her as a parody of X-men's Storm at some latter point in the series.

If I ever see Nami ride the wind...
I'd appreciate that you don't call the Nami pairing as garbage but I agree that we should move on which of course I thought I did a few threads back and we were to discuss about the horrors that Nami had faced and how angry we would be for those horrors to even happen to Nami.
Old 2008-11-12, 23:04   Link #229
BlackNhite
Best of both worlds

Location: A land far, far away... or very, very close, depends on where you live
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post
I'd appreciate that you don't call the Nami pairing as garbage but I agree that we should move on which of course I thought I did a few threads back and we were to discuss about the horrors that Nami had faced and how angry we would be for those horrors to even happen to Nami.
Eh, figured I'd better let my frustration out that way than to start using swear words, the lesser of two evils and all that.

As to your topic... that's hard for me to come by.
If I thought in the ways of the typical female in distress, I could feel some kind of anger concerning Nami's past and the events that played throughout it. But this just isn't one of those situations...

I'm gonna get it for saying this, but Nami is a surprisingly masculine character. Dispite all that's happened in her lifetime, she, for lack of better term, "mans-up" and soldiers on. As shocking as I find some of the happenings in her history, I can't really muster up any anger over them. Nami wouldn't be who she is today if she didn't have to endure, I take it as a necessary evil to forge a greater good.

Well, I think that's enough of my screwed up philosophy for one sitting...
Old 2008-11-13, 00:52   Link #230
Rainbowman

Quote:
Eh, figured I'd better let my frustration out that way than to start using swear words, the lesser of two evils and all that.

As to your topic... that's hard for me to come by.
If I thought in the ways of the typical female in distress, I could feel some kind of anger concerning Nami's past and the events that played throughout it. But this just isn't one of those situations...

I'm gonna get it for saying this, but Nami is a surprisingly masculine character. Dispite all that's happened in her lifetime, she, for lack of better term, "mans-up" and soldiers on. As shocking as I find some of the happenings in her history, I can't really muster up any anger over them. Nami wouldn't be who she is today if she didn't have to endure, I take it as a necessary evil to forge a greater good.

Well, I think that's enough of my screwed up philosophy for one sitting...
Well when I mentioned about Nami's horrors, I was talking about all the horrors that Nami got herself into throughout the entire story of One Piece so far (Manga/Anime and the Movies). This topic is asking which of Nami's horrors that you and others think are the worst.
Old 2008-11-13, 08:08   Link #231
BlackNhite
Best of both worlds

Quote:
Well when I mentioned about Nami's horrors, I was talking about all the horrors that Nami got herself into throughout the entire story of One Piece so far (Manga/Anime and the Movies). This topic is asking which of Nami's horrors that you and others think are the worst.
Well, again, my post discussing Absolam's "Bathroom Raid" would have to be one of my most shocking moments concerning Nami; Oda was seconds away from depicting a rape scene right on panel.

The only other horror that no longer seems as important to me is more of a "what if" question. I mean really, after all those years on Arlong's crew I can't be the only one who believes Nami's bee long stripper of her virginity; when that first came to me it was a hell of a face-paler. Nowadays, I tend to take that in stride.
Old 2008-11-13, 10:41   Link #232
OtseisRagnarok
Manifesto
*Author

Quote:
Well, again, my post discussing Absolam's "Bathroom Raid" would have to be one of my most shocking moments concerning Nami; Oda was seconds away from depicting a rape scene right on panel.

The only other horror that no longer seems as important to me is more of a "what if" question. I mean really, after all those years on Arlong's crew I can't be the only one who believes Nami's bee long stripper of her virginity; when that first came to me it was a hell of a face-paler. Nowadays, I tend to take that in stride.
With that bit in her past, and recent revelations about Boa, Oda seems to have a "hard-on"(no pun intended) for rape...
Old 2008-11-13, 15:25   Link #233
FoxxFireArt

Send a message via Yahoo to FoxxFireArt
Quote:
Sanji dreams about all women. Sanji would do for any woman what he does for Nami. Even during Thriller Bark he didn't save her.

I always noticed that the only person Luffy has trusted his Straw Hat to is Nami.

Luffy didn't react to Boa's breasts, but in the past Luffy has reacted to Nami's
If you check out the original idea for One Piece. It started off with just Luffy and Nami.
Old 2008-11-13, 18:12   Link #234
Rainbowman

Quote:

What about such horrors as Nami's Sickness in the Drum Island arc or the battle against Kalifa? And I'd rather not mention the horrors she had on Baron Omatsuri's Island in Movie 6. Even though the One Piece Movies are fillers, Movie 6 was the worst one emotionwise and the ending may be happy but it was way too short like maybe about half a minute before the credits. (mostly I'm mad at the ones who came up with the story for One Piece Movie 6) So any of those put any anger in you? Any anger that you feel that might turn you into the Hulk?
Old 2008-11-13, 18:23   Link #235
BlackNhite
Best of both worlds

Quote:
What about such horrors as Nami's Sickness in the Drum Island arc or the battle against Kalifa? And I'd rather not mention the horrors she had on Baron Omatsuri's Island in Movie 6. Even though the One Piece Movies are fillers, Movie 6 was the worst one emotionwise and the ending may be happy but it was way too short like maybe about half a minute before the credits. (mostly I'm mad at the ones who came up with the story for One Piece Movie 6) So any of those put any anger in you? Any anger that you feel that might turn you into the Hulk?
I really have to start watching the One Piece movies...

Her sickness didn't really get me at all, actually throughout that entire "mini-saga" I was more touched than angry. Just Luffy's determination to save his nakama... I was too focused on that to think exclusively about Nami. Though I will admit that my first real spark of delight in her character when she soldiered past being sick and still managaed to direct the ship through that random hurricane, that's how I knew Nami was a strong person.

The Kalifa fight made me laugh. Hell, I doubt Nami was even taking that chick seriously after a while. To me, it was yet another one of her great "moments of ascension," she was truly great in that fight.

Thinking about it now, the only part of Nami's past that I'm aware of that honestly pissed me off was Arlong. Really, the gu was a manipulative bastard and the way he talks about it in the japanese version it sounds as if he honestly believes that he was doing Nami a favor in kiling her mother and taking her under his wing.
Plus, with all this hentai floating around, I've seriously questioned whether or not those fishman bastards had at her more than once in the past. Even if they didn't, what's the best way for a desperate girl to earn money to buy back all that she loves?

Bleh, leaves a nasty taste in my mouth.
Old 2008-11-13, 18:30   Link #236
FoxxFireArt

Send a message via Yahoo to FoxxFireArt
Quote:
I thought movie 6 had it's good points. It wasn't the best. I like the gold fish catching part. Usopp passes off to Nami, and she quickly hands it off to Zoro.

My favorite movies are the 4th and 7th. I find it just odd the past two movies are just remakes of past story arcs. That just seems like a waste. I was hoping for movies with Franky in a proper role.
It was funny in movie 7 how bouncy Nami was. I loved in the start how she was getting annoyed with Luffy. Next thing he's all beaten up and she's threatening to hit him if he doesn't calm down.

It is funny when you check out the difference between Nami's first appearance and how she looks now. The girl FILLED OUT. I believe Oda also addressed this issue. Though I will never get why Oda gave Zoro and Tashigi such an odd, deep connection, but never have them meet.
Old 2008-11-13, 18:31   Link #237
OtseisRagnarok
Manifesto
*Author

Quote:
I really have to start watching the One Piece movies...

Her sickness didn't really get me at all, actually throughout that entire "mini-saga" I was more touched than angry. Just Luffy's determination to save his nakama... I was too focused on that to think exclusively about Nami. Though I will admit that my first real spark of delight in her character when she soldiered past being sick and still managaed to direct the ship through that random hurricane, that's how I knew Nami was a strong person.

The Kalifa fight made me laugh. Hell, I doubt Nami was even taking that chick seriously after a while. To me, it was yet another one of her great "moments of ascension," she was truly great in that fight.

Thinking about it now, the only part of Nami's past that I'm aware of that honestly pissed me off was Arlong. Really, the gu was a manipulative bastard and the way he talks about it in the japanese version it sounds as if he honestly believes that he was doing Nami a favor in kiling her mother and taking her under his wing.
Plus, with all this hentai floating around, I've seriously questioned whether or not those fishman bastards had at her more than once in the past. Even if they didn't, what's the best way for a desperate girl to earn money to buy back all that she loves?
She's a strong girl, and can handle herself. I don't get where all this pity comes from. If she honestly knew that people felt this way, she'd take advantage ofthem, and move on.
Quote:
Bleh, leaves a nasty taste in my mouth.
To avoid massive flaming by angry fanboys, this joke has been deleted.
Old 2008-11-13, 18:40   Link #238
BlackNhite
Best of both worlds

Quote:
She's a strong girl, and can handle herself. I don't get where all this pity comes from. If she honestly knew that people felt this way, she'd take advantage ofthem, and move on.
I can always count on you to summerize my oiginal point.
I would thank you, but I doubt you honestly care about my point.
Old 2008-11-13, 18:44   Link #239
OtseisRagnarok
Manifesto
*Author

Quote:
I can always count on you to summerize my oiginal point.
I would thank you, but I doubt you honestly care about my point.
No more than you care about mine. I just want to stick it to the fanboys.
Old 2008-11-19, 22:01   Link #240
Rainbowman

In your opinions, what words of comfort would Nami have for me on each of her suffering times that I mentioned so I won't cry over them for all eternity?:

Sickness at Drum Island
Baron Omatsuri's Island
Battle against Kalifa
Forced Marriage at Thriller Bark
*new* Encounter with Bartholomw Kuma on Sabaody Archipelago