AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-11-12, 10:26   Link #1641
azenable
President of TecoT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeljack83 View Post
I hope at some point there's a scene where High Elf Archer is like, "Goblin Slayer think of something!"

And Goblin Slayer replies, "But you said no fire, water, or poison..."

"I give you permission! Just use *that* [some type of crazy destructive magic scroll]."

"Are you sure?

"Yes!"

"If you say so."

Like I want Goblin Slayer to twist the knife a bit when she gives him permission.
He comes up with Creative Solutions to skirt the rules lol
azenable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-12, 11:10   Link #1642
eiyuuou

It'll be some time before that happens. goblin slayer is very creative in thinking how to kill goblins since he spend most of his time thinking how to kill goblins.

since priestess revealed she has Protection.
4koma joke
Goblin is immobilized by multi layers of protection
Goblin slayer takes out a kettle
High Elf: what are you taking a kettle of water for?
Goblin Slayer: waterboarding
Old 2018-11-12, 11:24   Link #1643
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Good episode, how come GS packed a lantern though? I remember him saying torches trump lanterns because they double as weapons and are not put out as easily. GS and Shaman also went kinda overboard - too much finesse for Orcbolg's casual fighting style, and Shaman went from throwing pebbles to one-shotting ships with gigantic boulders. Could have opened with that!

We get a glimpse of the next boss, looks like another heavy hitter. On the topic of proper defense: there really isn't any. It's best to just seize the initiative in a fight and heavily injure or outright kill your opponents before you get hit, much like how in the real world armies opt for camouflage instead of heavy armor in the face of gunfire. It would be nice if Lizardman had a cloaking spell or something, he brings a lot of utility in his kit.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-12, 12:00   Link #1644
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Good episode, how come GS packed a lantern though? I remember him saying torches trump lanterns because they double as weapons and are not put out as easily. GS and Shaman also went kinda overboard - too much finesse for Orcbolg's casual fighting style, and Shaman went from throwing pebbles to one-shotting ships with gigantic boulders. Could have opened with that!
A lantern is more handy because he can have both hands free to handle goblins in combat and they are less likely to be put out by the "rain". So yeah, most of the time, GS will favor a torch, but in that given situation, the lantern was better.

As for the dwarf, they needed to buy him time so he can cast the bigger stone blast (preparations of the catalyst then the chant). So GS, LP and HEA were stalling the goblins (if they didn't do anything, the goblin archers would have go through Priestess protection before the dwarf would be done, and there was also a risk of the goblins jumping out of their boat to attack them too).
Old 2018-11-12, 13:48   Link #1645
Side-streetdog

In this episode, we finally see 2 sides of the coin

One is Hero, generic isekai protagonist
She just announce her presence instead of ambush
Naively, stupidly, no tactic and likely no preparation.
But with she just win and save the day with cheer power and OP ability

Meanwhile
GS and his party have to be prepared and cautious in every moves
Can't use their skill uselessly, need to find the best method and opportunity to attack
One wrong step and they will be defeat, so they must use all their skills and experience to win
Old 2018-11-12, 14:55   Link #1646
Tenzen12

Generic Shonen protagonist is more accurate. She isn't from different world and have no self-insert qualities after all.
Old 2018-11-12, 16:03   Link #1647
Dark Wing

Well about half way done with the episode count and the closer we get to episode 13. The more it seems like this show will be a one and done with all the skipping around White Fox has been doing in this adaptation.

Don't get me wrong it's not that I'm not enjoying myself. It's just a shame we might not be seeing the story fully adapted.

If I were able to change anything I would have had this first season adapt the first volume of the source material with bits of the side stories and Year one sprinkled in there. While season 2 could combined peices of the second and third volumes (since the third isn't heavy on the action until the end).

Last edited by Dark Wing; 2018-11-12 at 16:25.
Dark Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-12, 16:23   Link #1648
kukuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
In GS lore, Ogre attacks are known to be impossible to block by silver ranks and lower. Or rather, the one trying to block would have their guard broken and smashed to bits.
It is exactly thanks to Priestess that they could beat the Ogre. Without a magical barrier, they were pretty much toast, that was guaranteed. And keep in mind that stats and levels not only don't really work in GS, but it has nothing to do with miracle. The barrier is set by the Earth Mother goddess herself. A "higher level priest" would only be capable to create more protections (if they learn it and that's assuming they can cast more than 3 miracles per day) or use different miracles, but the strength of the barrier wouldn't be any different. And Priestess is considered as an incredibly gifted cleric to begin with.
Untrue, on all accounts. The flash back (non anime) of the Ogre (mage)...let's call it an Oni since that's what it's trying to mimic, was of a single silver rank. It makes no mention if the single silver rank, small party of silver rank, or Subjugation party of silver rank, etc.

Blocking physical attacks does not mean blocking magical, blocking magical, does not mean blocking physical, etc, etc, etc. The description is merely emphasizing, that the oni had both powers allow to defeat silver rank parties via the above. In the manga, you see magic cast on a warrior, and a mage smashed by a phyiscal.

If you take D&D-table top as it's background, a tank is absolutely able to fight off the ogres attacks, and if you had proper items or party members to fight off the magical, you're fine too. In fact real silver ranks might have magical items to deal with those, as long as they're prepared.

And no barrier of protection(not a true spell) is not from the goddess. They have ranks, as we can see from tabletop origins, a barrier that can negate everything is rank7 spell, which priestess does not have, and silver/gold ranks might. Her level is not high enough to take that spell, even if it's the goddesses that determine what miracles they get (basically from what we've gather the Gods set the char sheets, but they still follow the rough rules of their own tabletop setup)

If we put an ogre mage at somewhere CR7 rating, a silver/gold rank party that can properly take it on is fine.

And it's never mentioned in the anime, but there are ranks an levels in GS world. For instance we know that GS has scout levels(he mentions it himself), which is how we can guess he's a warrior/scout.
kukuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-12, 16:35   Link #1649
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

The problem I have with your assumption is that you expect GS to work "exactly" like in a d&d campaign, even though an Ogre or Ogre Mage do -not- cast fireballs, let alone something of that size. From my perspective, the ogre in GSverse are much more dangerous than what you would consider from D&D standards, moreso that the ogre was not qualified as a "mage", yet has more than enough intelligence compared to D&D ogre.
That flashback in the LN was also accompagnied with mentions that very few adventurers could survive an encounter against an ogre, which heavily implies that it is very likely to be silver rank class at strict minimum, and every single other flashbacks pretty much point out that an entire party would be required, which is further confirmed by GS party here.

Considering the ogre's strength, blocking his physical attack would result to extremely severe damage to the adventurer who attempts to block that head on. That's why I don't believe a tanker would help a single bit here. Relying on evasion is definitely much safer considering the situation.
And no, the LN narration actually state that miracles are actually manifested by the goddess herself, in response to the priestess plea. The lore itself state that very thoroughly.

Additionally, I'm pretty certain GS wouldn't really fancy heavy armored companion because of his usual goblin hunts.

The series has heavy references to d&d in general, but it doesn't work the same way as you think, merely because GSverse has a lot of its own spins altogether, and there are a lot of things that wouldn't make sense in d&d, such as the dwarf having non fixed number of spells usable per day, while d&d wouldn't allow that due to the spell slot system.
To begin with, there is no way a d&d campaign would allow a character to have absolute ZERO saving throw for everything he does.
Old 2018-11-12, 16:41   Link #1650
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukuru View Post
Untrue, on all accounts. The flash back (non anime) of the Ogre (mage)...let's call it an Oni since that's what it's trying to mimic, was of a single silver rank. It makes no mention if the single silver rank, small party of silver rank, or Subjugation party of silver rank, etc.

Blocking physical attacks does not mean blocking magical, blocking magical, does not mean blocking physical, etc, etc, etc. The description is merely emphasizing, that the oni had both powers allow to defeat silver rank parties via the above. In the manga, you see magic cast on a warrior, and a mage smashed by a phyiscal.
No. In the manga we see a knight with a big shield defeated physically, and a mage defeated magically.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-12, 16:43   Link #1651
kukuru

Quote:
The problem I have with your assumption is that you expect GS to work "exactly" like in a d&d campaign, even though an Ogre or Ogre Mage do -not- cast fireball, let alone something of that size.
Well you're splitting hairs, as this is some supped up ogre(mage). Basically it's at the DM's discretion to inflate or deflate a scenario's power level. The dark gods that wrote him up, did something or another to make it hard to fight, but not impossible fight. Because the good gods would then table flip if it went on.

(Remember we know the sad reality is the Gods are having fun at the people's expense)

Again you can't assume what parties fraught him before, it was never mentioned, and never needed to. There's a big difference in a solo, small party (like spearman and mage girl) or a subjugation party (like GS), and so on.

None of that means they will be wiped out, since their power level and preparation are different.

And every circumstantial evidence points us to D&D variant of some form. A full on barrier stronger then the priestess is almost certainly likely. Because even if they skim it off the top, everything else makes parallels. There's no way a newbie would happen to have a high end spell without some odd concidence, and no one makes a fuss about priestess having it.

In fact the more you read/watch GS the more you can draw parallels. There's more reason to use D&D rules and assumption then it is not.
kukuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-12, 16:54   Link #1652
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

You completely misunderstood the flashbacks, because as Anh Minh stated, the manga (and the LN too) made it clear the ogre beat those adventurers on their own game. The warrior was demolished by a physical attack, while a mage was bested by spells.
The exact text goes like this:
Quote:
They said a knight with a sturdy shield died when she tried to block an ogre's attack, only to find her own shield buried in her head.
They said a great warrior had challenged an ogre to a hundred-day battle, but that the monster never took a scratch, and after months of combat, the warrior fell exhausted.
They said a wizard who knew a great many spells had tried to match wits with an ogre but was burned to death when it turned out the ogre knew even more spells than she did.

Suffice to say, ogres were stiff opponents even for those of Silver rank. A porcelain rank, they might just squish them like a bug.
All of those assessments were pretty much on point with the ogre in the tower: the Ogre was capable of destroying nearly anything around him with his warhammer which wasn't enchanted. His fireball was beyond what the dwarf expected, and the fight demonstrated the Ogre had slashing resistance. Overall, all the descriptions are consistent with what GS party had to fight against, and it is unlikely a silver ranked knight would be able to block head-on the ogre attacks without proper enhancement and/or a magic imbued shield.

Also you've to explain how the series is a viable "variant of d&d" when:
Spoiler for Mostly details skipped, found in the LN:

The author made sure the story looks like some kind of d&d campaign from the perspective of the gods and the readers. But the behaviour of the characters and certain setup wouldn't work at all in a regular d&d campaign, exactly because it isn't a game to begin with.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2018-11-12 at 17:23.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-12, 17:53   Link #1653
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
You can buy them on bookwalker. That's what I did with all YP releases for GS and GS Year one.
Even if you can't download the app on your smartphone, you can use a desktop application or read the LN with your browser.
Thanks. - Bookmarked it
I was pretty surprised when I wanted to buy NGNL a while ago and it had suddenly vanished from the play store (for whatever reason)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random14 View Post
Its fun seeing Goblin Slayer not be affected by just about anything, whether its meeting a living legend or having his options be a bit restricted. Well fighting under a city is pretty unusual even for him.
Tbh I expected the scene to go like this:

HP: An acolyte was murdered.
GS: But what about the goblins?
HP: It all happened...
GS: But what about the GOBLINS?

or:
HP explains everything GS stands up to leave

Priestess: GS, where are you going?!
GS: I don't care for what happened I'll go hunt goblins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moridin84 View Post
The whole name thing doesn't make much sense if you think about it.

Like, how aren't there dozens, hundreds of different people called Priestess? And High Elf Archer is surely an incredibly common name back in the elf homeland.

And Guild Girl... that's a very common occupation, right? Especially back in the capital where she was trained.
it imho works for GS himself, for the other characters a name would indeed be much appreciated. A good example of a person where its imho weird is Ms "My way of talking is so terribly slow and paused that it's totally annoying, and there is nothing you can do about it." (Others know her as Mage/Witch though :P )

Quote:
Originally Posted by azenable View Post
He comes up with Creative Solutions to skirt the rules lol
Technically he already did. They said poison, GS countered that by using gas :P

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-12, 17:59   Link #1654
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

When GS was asked not to use poison, HEA actually meant poison gas. GS and his party was supposed to be on another quest before going to water town, and he actually smoked goblins out with poison gas. That's the very reason why HEA started banning stuff left and right.

What GS used was a "pepper bomb". More accurately, it is pepper with crushed snake. And funnily enough, HEA never complained about that.
Old 2018-11-12, 20:05   Link #1655
Top Sergeant

Goblin captain of the second boat looked like he was a ZZ Top fan
Old 2018-11-13, 01:24   Link #1656
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
^ For me, such simple naming method felt novel and poetic when Maoyuu used it back in 2010. Maybe that's because the story focuses much more on the characters and defining how special and unique they are within its own universe. Not to mention Maoyuu's story itself is pretty special, intelligent and doesn't feel like an RPG video-game and felt like a real genuine classic saga. But here in GS, I feel like the story will be better off using normal names.
Maoyuu's naming theme was actually nothing spécial to me since a french audioplay used it back in 2001, and even french Dragon Magazine used it in a comic.
Old 2018-11-13, 01:37   Link #1657
Skaddix

Quote:
You completely misunderstood the flashbacks, because as Anh Minh stated, the manga (and the LN too) made it clear the ogre beat those adventurers on their own game. The warrior was demolished by a physical attack, while a mage was bested by spells.
The exact text goes like this:

All of those assessments were pretty much on point with the ogre in the tower: the Ogre was capable of destroying nearly anything around him with his warhammer which wasn't enchanted. His fireball was beyond what the dwarf expected, and the fight demonstrated the Ogre had slashing resistance. Overall, all the descriptions are consistent with what GS party had to fight against, and it is unlikely a silver ranked knight would be able to block head-on the ogre attacks without proper enhancement and/or a magic imbued shield.

Also you've to explain how the series is a viable "variant of d&d" when:
Spoiler for Mostly details skipped, found in the LN:

The author made sure the story looks like some kind of d&d campaign from the perspective of the gods and the readers. But the behaviour of the characters and certain setup wouldn't work at all in a regular d&d campaign, exactly because it isn't a game to begin with.
Depends on the version of D&D but all that tells me is that the Hero and Priestess are getting bonus spells due to high caster stats for the Priestess presumably that be Wisdom and for the Hero....Charisma she doesn't seem like the sharpest tool in the tool shed. Which is basically say the Hero cheated on her 3 die rolls per stat when she rolled her stats or had a really high point buy.

As for the priestess sounds like has an exotic feat.

Which is too say all that can be perfectly easily explained with D&D 3.5 (2003) or Pathfinder (2009) Rules.

Last edited by Skaddix; 2018-11-13 at 02:11.
Skaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-13, 01:49   Link #1658
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
When GS was asked not to use poison, HEA actually meant poison gas. GS and his party was supposed to be on another quest before going to water town, and he actually smoked goblins out with poison gas. That's the very reason why HEA started banning stuff left and right.

What GS used was a "pepper bomb". More accurately, it is pepper with crushed snake. And funnily enough, HEA never complained about that.
Don't you mean crushed insects? It was insects in the manga, and it makes more sense than snakes. Some insects are irritant when crushed.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-13, 03:47   Link #1659
eiyuuou

high elf wants an adventure, so poison/flooding/fire that are extermination tactics doesn't fit well with her adventure ideals.

too bad the sewers and the bans limited his options, even preventing him from digdug a hole tp drop the goblins in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Don't you mean crushed insects? It was insects in the manga, and it makes more sense than snakes. Some insects are irritant when crushed.
snake bits and egg shell bits were mixed with the pepper.
Old 2018-11-13, 13:10   Link #1660
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaddix View Post
Which is too say all that can be perfectly easily explained with D&D 3.5 (2003) or Pathfinder (2009) Rules.
You can justify only a portion of the irregular parts of the series setting, but certainly not everything else, especially when things like protection are blatantly described by the LN as something that is not relying on the character stats. For instance, every single time Priestess casts a miracle, the LN always describes it as a prayer that reaches the heaven and makes her soul "join" with the goddess, and the latter then grants the miracle. This is the reason why Priestess didn't understand why minor heal didn't save Wizard in episode 1 (the anime skipped the fact the wound was perfectly healed) because that miracle is still a divine intervention. Fundamentally, spells and miracles are not considered the same in GSverse, and miracles are not considered as the "act" of the cleric, but rather the response of the relevant god after hearing their follower's plea.

Even then, Hero Girl still is extremely unlikely because not only the number of firebolts is more than insane, but she naturally can wield a holy sword and plate armor. All of this when she merely started. Even the most leniant DM wouldn't ever do that, and the way how the "board" works is also impractical when 1) some characters are not controlled and don't have any saving throw 2) when several persons have to manage different parts of the board (there isn't 1 single god acting as the DM.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Nope. The Manga and LN specifically state GS crushed a snake and put the scraps and pepper in an eggshell which in turn serves as the pepper bomb.

Tags
disturbing content, fantasy, tragedy