AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

View Poll Results: Total Series rating for Naruto
10 out of 10: Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious 8 10.39%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 17 22.08%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 24 31.17%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 11.69%
6 out of 10 : Average 10 12.99%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 5.19%
4 out of 10 : Mediocre 1 1.30%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 2.60%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Dociousaliexpilisticfragicalirupes 2 2.60%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2014-11-08, 10:09   Link #1
james0246

Naruto - Overall Manga Series Impressions & Total Series Rating

This thread is to be used for discussing the entire manga Naruto ... your thoughts about the show, overall impressions, expectations and hopes. What went right, and what went wrong. Pretty much anything you want to say concerning Naruto (though please steer clear of obvious flaming; and try, as always, to be constructive in your criticism above all else)

A few subjects you might want to ramble on about:

General impression of the series (Good and/or Bad).
Opinions on the overall story, writing & plot devices etc.
Thoughts about the general quality of Kishimoto's drawing.
Characters/Character Design.

Last edited by james0246; 2014-11-12 at 16:39.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-08, 10:26   Link #2
LevelSeven

it began ok, turned good, the fights have been awesome for some time...

and the war arc destroyed it.....

i dont think that i need to say more
LevelSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-08, 10:32   Link #3
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

While I started to follow the manga seven years ago and not holding the distinction at being amongst the first generation of fans back when Naruto started getting serialized in 1999 the story, nevertheless, became a common denominator factor in my daily routine; same can be expressed by everyone else here and out there.

To me what's alluring and gripping about Naruto is his hot-headedness determination to stand his ground and not giving up his dreams, his ideals, and, finally, his friends. Nonetheless, one downside to the manga is precisely Naruto's hot-headedness which at many times got on my nerves repeating the similar situations over and over again with steady redundancy.

Of course, there are other characters such as Sakura, for example, that share in their load of negative traits as well. However, I liked how Kishimoto-sensei clearly planned the plot beforehand and way ahead, hence, he knew to which direction the story was heading without suffering any sort of writer's block. Furthermore, thanks to that pre-emptive planning in the manga I got to see how introduced characters were properly fleshed out and given room to grow-up; IMO, any character introduced played a relevant role no matter how small it was.

The hollowness I felt back two days ago once I reached the last page to the final Naruto manga chapter is a testament for the affection and devotion I held in high regards throughout all this years of reading it, and I know there won't be more of the same story written by Kishimoto-sensei.
Nevertheless, life goes on, and I'm taking with me the wonderful experiences I earned from enjoying Naruto's story. Hopefully, I can look to a brighter outlook since the anime is yet to end and seems there are more surprises stored in what's ahead to the horizon.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-08, 12:10   Link #4
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
This thread is to be used for discussing the entire manga Naruto ... your thoughts about the show, overall impressions, expectations and hopes. What went right, and what went wrong. Pretty much anything you want to say concerning Naruto (though please steer clear of obvious flaming; and try, as always, to be constructive in your criticism above all else)

A few subjects you might want to ramble on about:

General impression of the series (Good and/or Bad).
Opinions on the overall story, writing & plot devices etc.
Thoughts about the general quality of Kishimoto's drawing.
Characters/Character Design.
> Opinions on the overall stories: Good, above expectation I'd say.

The story progressing just like normal shounen manga; introduction, training arc, power-up for main character each time enemies got stronger, etc.
But if you take a look of every detail and reference then connecting it each other, you could find a mechanism and explanation why some events could happen.

I also liked how Kishimoto prove he's planning the plot beforehand, as shown by Naruto and Sasuke last clash.
Part II is clearly all about how they grow up, shaped their ideals then confront each other caused by different ideals in terms of rivalry.

> Kishimoto drawing: Very Good

I like his drawing cause it's neat yet similar to pencil drawing.
As for background, we can see he's good even with industrial-theme city like Amegakure;
Also for Kaguya's skill which seems like referencing environment of classic RPG (with medieval-theme color picture too. LOL).

Sometimes there's error, mostly happens in War arc which involved a lot of details (persons), understandable.
Favorite moment related to art: Naruto and Sasuke challenging Madara RS mode, Kurama and Susanoo brofist in VotE, Susanoo last form after absorbing all Bijuu strength.

> Character / Character Design: Good.

Especially those related specially to Naruto.
Jiraiya, which is the irreplaceable figure, not only for Naruto, but us - reader - also.
Minato and Kushina, parents that worth of respect I've ever seen in anime and manga.
Obito and Nagato; senpais that bravely admit their failure yet become reminder for Naruto to surpass them.

There is also Gaara (I) and Kabuto (II). Which is not hard for us to relate with them and understand how cruel their life before.

His design is simple, but that what makes it good, for example:
Kakashi w/ MS, Pain Deva Path, Kurama Mode, Madara's Susanoo, Sasuke's Last Susanoo, Kabuto Sage Mode, Kaguya.

General Impression: Very Good

^^;
Tactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-08, 12:31   Link #5
itachi-san314

as much as i'd like to give it a 10/10 i have to go for a 9 due to the shinobi war arc. this was the best anime series i've ever read/watched and the one i've read every week for the longest time. it has almost countless unforgettable moments and some of the best characters ever in anything. even though it went a little downhill the last couple years, it's astounding how kishi kept up with such a fast pace and high quality for a decade and a half. i think it's a creative masterpiece

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevelSeven View Post
it began ok, turned good, the fights have been awesome for some time...

and the war arc destroyed it.....

i dont think that i need to say more
i can't take anyone's opinion seriously if they think the entire naruto series was bad...
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-08, 12:53   Link #6
LevelSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
i can't take anyone's opinion seriously if they think the entire naruto series was bad...
did i say the whole manga was bad?
i actually mentioned that it was ok, good and awesome....
the war arc on the other hand completly destroyed this feelings of "ok, good and awesome"
Old 2014-11-08, 12:57   Link #7
itachi-san314

Quote:
did i say the whole manga was bad?
i actually mentioned that it was ok, good and awesome....
the war arc on the other hand completly destroyed this feelings of "ok, good and awesome"
um yes actually you did in fact say it was bad... you voted it "bad" in the poll
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-08, 13:05   Link #8
ranchan13

The war arc needed to be handled quite a bit differently, Obito should not have been Tobi, Madara should have either stayed dead, or been Tobi, and Kaguya should have made an appearance as a stand-alone villain if she was going to be included, rather than pointlessly tacking her onto Madara's backside on a whim.

Ignoring the entire War arc, I'd have given the series an Overall Rating of 10. Instead, it dropped to an 8, because the last couple years have been painful to read.

General impression of the series:
Overall, I loved the series. I've been with it since day 1, so 15 years is a lot of time to devote to it. In fact, I was recovering from a broken back and 17 years of age. I think that I stayed with the steries since it began is a good indication of my overall impression.

Opinions on the overall story:
As I stated above, the war arc was completely mishandled, and there were seriously times when I was tempted to stop reading.

Thoughts about the general quality of Kishimoto's drawing:
The art, for the most part, has been acceptable to good. A couple times, the art was off, other times it was beyond spectacular. Most of the time though, it was a little above average.

Characters/Character Design:
Another hit or miss.
Some of the designs were absolutely great
Then you have Lee, Gai, and and at points Sakura and Sasuke.
Integrated
Artificial
Lifeform
ranchan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-08, 13:06   Link #9
LevelSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
um yes actually you did in fact say it was bad... you voted it "bad" in the poll
yes, i did, because like i said, the war arc destroyed it...
how can someone judge a part of this story if i give my opinion, it is for the whole story, and the conclusion is that it had ok beginnings, good concepts, awesome fights and than everything went to hell, so... yeah, it is bad :/
without the war arc it would be much better...
so, in short: give everything of before war arc a 10/20 and the war arc a 1/20 than we would have a 5.5/20 for the whole manga :/ which is bad, at least for me
Old 2014-11-08, 13:49   Link #10
Akashin

Quote:
yes, i did, because like i said, the war arc destroyed it...
how can someone judge a part of this story if i give my opinion, it is for the whole story, and the conclusion is that it had ok beginnings, good concepts, awesome fights and than everything went to hell, so... yeah, it is bad :/
without the war arc it would be much better...
so, in short: give everything of before war arc a 10/20 and the war arc a 1/20 than we would have a 5.5/20 for the whole manga :/ which is bad, at least for me
Err, wouldn't that make it below average to you, using the poll's scale?

Anyway, my opinion is pretty much the same. I all but gave up on the series about a year ago (really only came back for the home stretch), but despite that I really liked the series as a whole. So a 7 (6.5 rounded up) from me.
Akashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-08, 13:53   Link #11
monster

Quote:
so, in short: give everything of before war arc a 10/20 and the war arc a 1/20 than we would have a 5.5/20
Out of curiosity, why do you seem to have averaged the two numbers? The war arc isn't half of the manga.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-08, 14:20   Link #12
Shinagami
Rubiks Cube

To be honest the manga was great there were just a few things I couldn't get past no matter how hard I tried. But Naruto has been excellent for the most part it made cry it made me laugh but most of all it inspired me. I mean from part 1 to mostly after the pain arc the manga was awesome. Narutos determination knows no bounds even in the hardest situations he doesn't waver. I mean he loses a lot but that's why we fell in the love with the manga Naruto was more human than most shonen characters that just out-muscled everyone. Even in the fight against pain he was so out classed so bad it wasn't even funny I mean he lost that fight so many times till kyuubi bailed him out but he never gave up. I really enjoyed his growth even though he's most recent powerup wasn't of his own doing. I liked most of the villains obito included until he turned good. Have to say the best villain was Orochimaru a truly complex character who was capable of good and evil his motives are never truly know he always keeps u guessing and most of all he was the only true villain of the narutoverse. Madara was just pure badass! The only thing that killed his character was death such a character deserves an epic ending. Obito was amazing when he still had his mask he nevr fought unless necessary he was the most manipulative villain of all he started a war with then entire world with less than 10 men respect until he turned good. Itachi and Kakashi were my other two favourite charcters. Itachi was genuis and powerhouse but the most humble guy who outlook was that the end justified the means you just had to love this character. Kakashi is the perfect ninja who was powerful even without any of the hax justus. Charcters aside the story was good beside a few plot holes here and there. I wouldve preffered that the bijuus remain evil but the whole war thing had me going it wouldve been better if obito somehow persuaded the villages to fight against each other. Because I felt that the war was the worst part of the series and that was suppose to be the climax of it all so it wouldve been a ten if the war arc was written better

Last edited by Shinagami; 2014-11-08 at 14:53.
Shinagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-08, 14:23   Link #13
Death Usagi
Banned

Masterpiece of all time. I loved the series. I think I will start re-reading the series from the start again.
Death Usagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-08, 14:31   Link #14
LevelSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Out of curiosity, why do you seem to have averaged the two numbers? The war arc isn't half of the manga.
but it was so bad that it "equal" for my feelings regrading this story
to make it easier to understand, i like scrubs, it is a 17/20, but the stuff after season 9 made it 11/20 or lower (and they didnt do it in the lvl of naruto) because, well, bad feelings will always remain longer than good feelings

so, despite being 10/20 before war arc, after war arc, it became a 5.5/20,
im not saying that others are wrong with their opinions,
this is simply how traumatic the war arc was (for me), plotholes and as*pulls, the worsed was obitos heel face turn....
Old 2014-11-08, 15:08   Link #15
Random14

Generally I have a very good opinion of the series. One thing that helped is that from the very beginning there was a definite goal Naruto was reaching for and a clear hierarchy Naruto would have to climb to reach that goal. Ok, Naruto officially never moved beyond genin on-screen, but in terms of raw power he's definitely at Kage level, and he definitely became very popular in-universe. Its part of what made up the happy ending, seeing Naruto fulfilling his dream and most of the cast happy too.

Being married to a fan-favorite character was nice too. Though personally I wouldn't have minded NaruSaku a few years ago, but knew it was unlikely after how the final arc went and Sasuke didn't die, I know SasuSaku was more likely. Personally I'm just happy there was a clear official couple, overall most shonen mangas are not good with romance (Naruto included) so I was half-expecting a vague, open-ended conclusion, so I don't mind the time-skip much. And Hinata's a great character too, so I don't mind NaruHina ending at all.

Some fights and the backstory dragged on a bit though after a while, especially after the war started. The whole 10-tails fight dragged on for a long, long time, Kaguya's introduction was sudden, Sasuke's idiocy got a bit much. And probably too many zombies too. I've lost track of Kaguya's backstory by now, and possibly a few too many redemptions after a few chats with Naruto, not to mention Nagato bringing a lot of people back to life, but Naruto is still overall an idealistic series, so I don't mind too much given the atmosphere.

Kishimoto's art was generally pretty good to very good, not super-detailed or memorable but generally enough cool poses and moments and mostly clear battles. After 15 years can't remember any absolutely awful chapters in terms of art, but then I've probably forgotten by now. Most of the later battles were suitably epic too. And its always been impressive just how many Narutos can show up on two pages when Naruto went all-out with the shadow clones.

Plenty of great characters, from an blond, blue-eyed orange clad ninja to his cool masked teacher Kakashi and the whole teacher-student relationship stretching back through the years (Naruto-Kakashi-Minato-Jiraiya-Sarutobi), though Jiraiya and Killer Bee were probably some of my favorites. Sakura, meh, her development got worse as the story went on unfortunately (and after having a pretty good fight at the beginning of Part 2), and Obito turned around a bit fast. Madara on the other hand was just crazy though even he had his motives too. But seeing Naruto pull off cunning moves in battle was always fun, a reminder that he's not the smartest but he's very tricky.

Its not a perfect manga, of course, but I'm just glad the series completed its main plot, though it didn't really become somewhat clear until Part II started (the struggle over the bijuus). Personally I'm even more happy random new enemies weren't introduced (such as DBZ), and most of the story ties together somewhat (from Hagoromo's time to the present).

I'm really going to miss this series, its never really been a ninja series (or at least not since the chuunin exam were there that much clever moments) but its been a great action shonen series. Naruto's been my favorite of the "big three" for a long time, so I'm happy to see it concluded mostly properly, but new Naruto chapters were always a highlight of my week, one that I'm miss dearly. Its been a great ride.
Random14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-08, 17:54   Link #16
janipani

I had to put average and it pains me a little. Naruto had it's moments, but there was so many things in the end that I didn't like. Naruto was a manga that did not know if it should be a bad ass shounen or lovedovey Shoujo. I pretty much liked Naruto until shippuuden, but after that there was only some moments that I really liked... and war arch I mostly hated.

-Best anime was made in 80s-
janipani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-08, 18:19   Link #17
pampz21
ShipCore

Its one of the best run in my life~!

"Endings are always sad but its also gives a possibility for a new beginning!"

to Believe is to Live,
to Ship is to Believe,
the best part of believe is the Lie,
to Lie to oneself is to Live
and that is the Essence of Life

pampz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-08, 20:52   Link #18
Luminer Astartes
Khorne-forged

Overall impression:

Naruto and I have a history. It was the first manga I ever began reading seriously and for the last 9 years, I've never missed a release. And as much as I love the series and how it ended, I truly cannot give it more than an 8/10. Overall, the manga was fun. It had it's flaws, yes. But at the same time, I feel that for 10 things that annoyed me, the 1 single moment of brilliance was enough to make up for it.

Quality of Kishimoto's drawings and character designs:

Looking through Part I and II you can tell how much his work had evolved. In the beginning, a lot of his work looked rough (harsh edges and so on) but come Part II, suddenly everyone looks more "rounded" and easier on the eye. The backgrounds in particular were spectacular. While Part I's buildings looked pretty bland and just blended together, Part II had things like Pain's Tower with all the faces sticking their tongues out while even regular homes started getting more detail in them.

Character-design wise, the man's brilliant. All the metric ton of characters he's drawn over the years and I can STILL name all of them as soon as you show me their picture. The Tailed Beasts were my absolute favorites as each of them was so intricately mixed with aspects of various creatures to create their signature look. Oh how about the Susano-O, which is different for every Uchiha that uses it? The man certainly has a knack for distinguishing even the side characters who you'd most likely forget about after a while.

Story, writing and plot devices:

Now, this is the one area where Kishimoto falters. There are several inconsistencies later in Part II that contradict Part I. A big one being "lose all your chakra and you die". Part I made losing your chakra supply a very serious threat for any badass ninja and they showed clear signs of fatigue settling in when they began to run low. And unless you're someone like Naruto with an integrated chakra battery, you were most likely in trouble if a battle dragged on too long.

Another fault here is the (IMO) underutilized potential. For instance, we had 9 jinchuuriki. Each one could have easily been a great way to showcase just how much they all differ yet their circumstances are almost always the same. An arc focusing on 1 or 2 of them could have also expanded the manga's world and introduce the later characters (like the Stone Village residents) much more easily and carefully. Yet most were killed off-panel. Or how about the Hyuuga being a major clan and one of the strongest? Not much of a showcase there.

Speaking of characters, while Kishimoto can make them distinct, he seems to have trouble developing them in-depth. Look at Mei Terumi (the Mizukage). Her character can be summed up as "Forever Alone". And sometimes I catch myself asking "Why? Why do you not use her to enrich your story?" She has 2 Kekkei Genkai and has shown to be a formidable fighter. Furthermore, because she has those Kekkei Genkai when we were previously told that the Mist Village loathes them, it is a sign that the village itself is changing. Yet we get no interactions of her and how she runs it. Or why it is that the villagers respect her. Nope, we're stuck with "Forever alone girl seeks man".

As others have mentioned, the war was mishandled. While Part II was still "ninja-like", it eventually all came down to "who can summon the bigger fish to fight the enemy big fish" around the time Naruto sprouted the 6th and 8th tails during the Pain fight. The use of mass resurrected zombies because nauseating and was all over the place so despite being shown the 7 Swordsmen, we barely knew anything about them except they were all uber killer ninja.

But as I said earlier, for every fault, I cannot rightly hate the manga enough for it to be detrimental. The moments when the manga truly shines, counter-balances so much of the wrong for me. I groaned at the mass revival at the end of the Pain Invasion, but then Jiraiya and Neji both got shocking but incredibly meaningful deaths. Characters get introduced left and right only to disappear soon after, but Naruto, Killer B and Kurama remain no less entertaining regardless of what they do. In a way it all balances out.

Lastly I will mention the ending. I loved it. It symbolized an end to a long journey and letting in a new era. I loved that Hinata and Sakura both got the one guy they wanted since their introductions. I love the fact that Naruto surpassed all the other Hokage like he said he would. I love that Sasuke, after I had spent almost a decade spitting and hating on, developed in such a way that I wanted to give him an applause for finally coming to terms. A bumpy road it was and a long one at that, but it was worth it.
Luminer Astartes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-08, 21:09   Link #19
BPD Renegade

I loved Part One. It was insular, yet managed to build us an entire new world, all the while emphasizing the themes of friendship, reasons for living, loneliness, and perseverance, among others. I loved all the characters. Each one was unique and introduced and explored in a way that many of today's manga (including Naruto, Part Two) don't have the patience to acheve with their characters. Despite the mixed feelings I have with Part Two, I can look back at Part One alone and honestly say that I loved this manga.

Part Two had its ups and downs. The problem may have been that at this point, Naruto began trying to achieve too many things too fast. While not mistreating its characters to the point that Bleach does, too many characters were introduced at once without proper background. Perhaps it was because they weren't supposed to be the characters we relate to, as those were introduced in Part One, but the overall execution seemed haphazard. Perhaps it would have been better if the pacing had remained as it was in Part One.

There are some plot holes -- we don't know what became of Orochimaru and his cohort, for example -- and I'm disappointed with the lack of emphasis on the characters that we spent so much time exploring in Part One, often for the expense of new characters that we did not have the same attachment to. The overemphasis of certain plotlines and underemphasis of some of the characters and development is my main disappointment with Part Two, but that's just my personal preference. Overall, I don't have many other complaints. At the end of chapter 698, I would have said the ending was satisfying and enjoyable. After reading the last two chapters, the actual end was average. Still, I'm glad that there was a definitive end to the story.

Rating:
I cannot rate this manga as a whole, simply because the nature of the two parts vary so much, so I will break it down into the two parts.
(Note: I usually rate on a series of curves depending on (a)which Tier I consider a series to be in and (b)its genre. Otherwise, most series, even ones I enjoy very much, would get a 6 (average) or below. Part One is not curved, while Part Two is rated on a Tier 1.5 Shonen-Action scale.)

Part One: 10/10 (True Scale)
Part One was a masterpiece. It is in my Tier One manga list, and I love it when compared to any other manga, even outside its genre. Maybe it's nostalgia, but giving a completely honest rating, this is a near perfect for me. Off the top of my head, there are less than a handful of manga that I would give a 10/10 on my True Scale to, and this is one of them.

Part Two: 8/10 (Curved Scale)
Part Two was good, but fell short. It is above average when compared to many other manga of its genre; however, there are plenty manga, such as One Piece, that outshine it.
BPD Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-09, 01:48   Link #20
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I think 8/10. It had it's ups and downs, but the well-done ending definitely made me give it a high-end 8/10. I couldn't quite give it a 9/10 because I felt the ending was a tad bit rushed and a lot of plot-holes went unexplained, but it was at least complete (unlike other big ones that had terrible endings like.... grrrrrrr Air Gear >_<).

Ending on a high note was definitely a good thing for it. Kishi churned out some excellent writing for a brief but fulfilling epilogue that lent good closure to one of the longest running manga that I've read from start to finish.

Too bad Bleach is not going in the same direction. It's almost physically painful to read now. Only reason I haven't dropped it is because its in its last arc and I might as well stick around until it ends.