AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > AnoHana

Notices

View Poll Results: AnoHana - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 46 52.27%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 24 27.27%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 14.77%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 4.55%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.14%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-13, 10:14   Link #41
tsunade666

you know Popo felt heavy when Menma just cling to him. And Menma can eat physical things and move it. She can communicate to the others though it might be creepy at first. But I just turn my brains off at that time and enjoy the emotion build up.
Old 2011-05-13, 10:28   Link #42
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Yukiatsu, aren't you asking out the wrong person? I mean, for all her coldness and harsh attitude, everything Tsuruko does is all for you. XD

Tsuruko is rapidly rising to be my most favourite character of the show. I mean, just can't help it when she gets awesome oneliners like the squeeze the pus out, and nonchalantly asking Yukiatsu not to use her to improve his self-esteem. Now if only Yukiatsu is half as flirty with Tsuruko as he was with Anaru... just wanna see Tsuruko's face lol.

Kinda weird though that Tsuruko and Anaru switched places. From childhood, Tsuruko looks to be the more fashionable girl, while Anaru is the bespectacled normal girl. Now Anaru is wearing all these sexy clothes (zettai ryouiki <3), while Tsuruko's casual clothes couldn't get any more plain.

Stupid Jintan. Why muse over a dead girl when a perfectly hot bombshell of a girl (even Yukiatsu agrees!) can't stop thinking of you.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2011-05-13, 10:41   Link #43
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

Okay Yukiatsu you redeemed yourself a little, but you'd better not start coveting the former alpha dog's lady - I'll kick your ass :[

Someone needs to kick Jinta's ass too...
Old 2011-05-13, 11:00   Link #44
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
It's a recurring question and "plot device" tends to be the common answer. Something very close has been done in this episode though: Menma communicating to one of her friends (Yukiatsu) using Jintan as "medium", telling things only she and the other person could know.
However, I personally find people slowly starting to believe Jintan as more gratifying than having the big revelation in one go. At the same time, Menma's desperation about her inability to do anything to support her friends adds a lot to the drama.
In a way, this hasn't been any different than when they were children. Jinta may have been the acting leader, but Menma was the figurehead that kept them together. Everything revolved around her. When she died... well, look what happened.
Old 2011-05-13, 11:12   Link #45
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Re: Yukiatsu...

I think the reason he blames himself for Menma's death is pretty straightforward - because he confessed to her ("love", not "like" - pretty ballsy for an 8 year-old) she ran off all flustered and presumably, shortly thereafter, fell into the river and drowned. Jinta blames himself because he thinks she ran off all flustered because he told her she was ugly, and he probably has no idea what happened with Yukiatsu afterwards.

It seems to be that Yukiatsu is every bit as obsessed with Jinta as he is with Menma. Asking Anaru out, it seems to me, was yet another way to see if he could beat out Jinta - this time for Anaru's unrequited affections (and failed again). I think we're a long way from saying he's all better - Tsuruko's intervention may have forced him to confront his inner Manma, and he did save Anaru from a nasty situation, but he still seems to be dealing with serious, serious issues. And let me add, that was some beautiful acting by Sakurai-san - quite different from anything I've heard from him.

Again - this is a mess. Everyone is in love with the wrong person except Poppo, and the jury is still out on him...
Old 2011-05-13, 11:15   Link #46
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Re: Yukiatsu...

I think the reason he blames himself for Menma's death is pretty straightforward - because he confessed to her ("love", not "like" - pretty ballsy for an 8 year-old) she ran off all flustered and presumably, shortly thereafter, fell into the river and drowned. Jinta blames himself because he thinks she ran off all flustered because he told her she was ugly, and he probably has no idea what happened with Yukiatsu afterwards.

It seems to be that Yukiatsu is every bit as obsessed with Jinta as he is with Menma. Asking Anaru out, it seems to me, was yet another way to see if he could beat out Jinta - this time for Anaru's unrequited affections (and failed again). I think we're a long way from saying he's all better - Tsuruko's intervention may have forced him to confront his inner Manma, and he did save Anaru from a nasty situation, but he still seems to be dealing with serious, serious issues. And let me add, that was some beautiful acting by Sakurai-san - quite different from anything I've heard from him.

Again - this is a mess. Everyone is in love with the wrong person except Poppo, and the jury is still out on him...
It could have been Yukiatsu's way of consoling her. They were both "left behind" with their unrequied love, so they do have common ground. Also, Yukiatsu is currently the most aware of Anaru's feelings and probably understands her the most right now.
Old 2011-05-13, 11:38   Link #47
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Jinta may have been the acting leader, but Menma was the figurehead that kept them together. Everything revolved around her. When she died... well, look what happened.
Excellent point, I also was thinking of this while watching this episode. How much all of this guys and girls loved - and still love - Menma. The girls too because we can see how Anaru is still attached to her ("I love you, yet I hate you" , and how she uses to talk to her through an old pic) and Tsuruko as well, the drawing(s), the hairpin, the memories.
All seen and said of Jintan and Yukiatsu, it can be safely assumed that Poppo was in love with her too, all that's left to see if it was love for a friend or the other kind of love.

Jintan may have been their "king", but Menma was their white princess, their shining star. A star whose extinguishment left the vassals without its light, bringing incurable wounds on each one of them.
Old 2011-05-13, 11:52   Link #48
CWW
Lurker

I wouldn't say Jinta still has feelings for Menma as he doesn't treat her in any special way that's considered more than just friends. If you look at it that way, he's way ahead of Yukiatsu. Wouldn't it be funny if in the end Jinta is the most sane of them all? And by funny I mean hella depressing.
Old 2011-05-13, 11:55   Link #49
Shadow5YA

Also, proving Menma's presence isn't as easy as it sounds. Even if she can physically interact with the environment, common sense will work against her. She did a number of things in her family's household, but they assumed that someone else did it or that it was an accident. Either way, there's no way for the group to understand Menma without Jinta, physical presence or not.

The only way to prove that Menma exists would be if she could directly speak to them, but she can't. That leads to situations like Yukiatsu, who can lie and make assumptions on what Menma is saying, or Poppo, who apparently is bothered by the fact that he can't see or speak to Menma directly by himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post
I wouldn't say Jinta still has feelings for Menma as he doesn't treat her in any special way that's considered more than just friends. If you look at it that way, he's way ahead of Yukiatsu. Wouldn't it be funny if in the end Jinta is the most sane of them all? And by funny I mean hella depressing.
Jinta feels the same way toward Menma as Anaru does toward Jinta. They don't know if they really "like" the person they have in mind. The audience may understand that they do, but in romantic relationships there are plenty of grey areas. What is the line that separates infatuation from actually liking someone? What about liking someone as their girl/boyfriend, but not wanting to get married? How much do you have to "like" someone to consider it true love?

They were kids. They were new to love. Since they're still growing, everyone still needs time to sort out their feelings. They're not going to have strong enough feelings to where they feel certain about it unless they're given time to grow. When teenagers are asked to give an answer on the spot, they're obviously not being given time to think about it seriously, so it's only natural that people like Jinta and Anaru get embarrassed.
Old 2011-05-13, 12:00   Link #50
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iren View Post
Oh, and it's confirmed Tsukuro is in love with a worthless guy and she can't help it. Too bad for Jinta's Harem end.
Are you sure she's not interested in Menma ?
Old 2011-05-13, 12:08   Link #51
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
No, regardless of whether it makes sense for you or not, you would be making up lines instead of what's actually being said.

He DID use One Piece, the anime that comes on Sunday mornings, as an excuse to get out. He said he has to go since he gotta get up early in the morning, and don't want to miss One Piece. His friend goes dude that's day after tomorrow.
Later, Anaru tries to get out of the situation by asking him hey you don't want to miss One Piece right? To which he replies nah, that's day after tomorrow.

Japanese is my native, and I'm telling you, they ARE referring to the anime One Piece.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
Hm...I do find it a tad hard to believe that he managed to settle so many issues just like that (although Menma's comment about the hairpin, & the 'thank you' (through Jinta) would have helped...), but the look on his face just after he thanked Tsuruko seems to suggest that he might have stopped blaming himself for Menma's death at least...

But no one said anything about going shopping, just something like "we're off. Naruko-chan says she not feeling too well. Also, I have school early tomorrow, after all, and I want to watch One Piece too"...
Don't get me wrong, I would be the last one to doubt that did indeed were talking a bout an anime, since I am not even sure I can hear clearly enough the lines, let alone know japanese good enough to have a creditable opinion.

I am just saying that I found it strange, that's all

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
Malkuth is probably not a One Piece fan to know why this is imporant. Then again, I think the whole situation was done tongue-in-cheek.
Very true
Old 2011-05-13, 12:09   Link #52
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
The only way to prove that Menma exists would be if she could directly speak to them, but she can't.
Well well, the "tell me things about my childhood that no one else except Menma knew" (through Jinta) pattern may still not prove that she exists, but it does sounds like a quite reasonable and tangible hint, or not?
Old 2011-05-13, 12:16   Link #53
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

I'm getting some heavy Twin Spica vibes from this show.

And yeah, I find it funny that she can eat food and the like but it's hard for the show to actually continue with that and have something like hover in the air or what have you.

Still loving this show. A good story and characters does wonders to pull you in.

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Old 2011-05-13, 12:21   Link #54
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
Well well, the "tell me things about my childhood that no one else except Menma knew" (through Jinta) pattern may still not prove that she exists, but it does sounds like a quite reasonable and tangible hint, or not?
That's my point. As long as she can only speak to Jinta, it requires the rest of the group to take a leap of faith and believe that Jinta is telling the truth.

Let's say that they did know that she was there. Problems would still arise. Poppo believes that Menma is there, but even he is now showing that he doesn't like how he can't see Menma himself. The rest will feel the same way. Why should Jinta be the only one who can hear Menma? Some of them will feel inferior and jealous.
Old 2011-05-13, 12:24   Link #55
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
What a jam packed episode, hard to believe it's only on it's 5th, still a lot more story to go apparently. Yukiatsu came out of that a lot better than I thought he would. And Anaru is just too adorable, best female of the show by far.
Old 2011-05-13, 12:56   Link #56
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite View Post
UTW botched the translation.... The guy was using watching the anime "One Piece" as an excuse to go home early. Nothing about one piece dresses there.
Thanks, that makes a lot more sense. An odd excuse to use in that group, but better than what I though. I was starting to wonder what was up with this anime and cross-dressers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
It never ceases to surprise me how fast these guys find the place.

The hotel the scene was modeled after.
Spoiler:

And the clothes store
Spoiler:
Clearly, they have the capacity to hack into Google Street View's databases, and unleash some kind of advanced image recognition software on them. And they've decided to use their powers for... otaku cred?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
The two lines in question...

Anaru: "Wuan-piisu ino"
Horny middle-aged ephebophile: "Wuan-piisu, asatte..."
Aren't they just college students?

Quote:
Definitely Poppo has some loose screws, need more proof than the episodes last couple of scenes?
Eh. He believes in ghosts. Everything in those scenes comes from there, and I'm not sure I can blame him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
I don't get why people are complaining about Menma crying. She cried before yes but the tears at the end were very different.

Before it was sadness for friends and family or just childlike tears (think of when a child tries to have her friends make up and end up crying), but the one that end...ouch.

It's pure frustration. She doesn't know what she is and why she's there. Her friends are broken and she's helpless. First Yukiatsu, then Poppo is begging for her attention and she can't reach them.
She certainly feels like she's failing her friends, but there's also the pain of rejection. I know Poppo's only trying to help, but he sounds an awful lot like he's trying to get rid of her, too.

Quote:
Good job with Yukiatsu though. I've never really been on his hate bandwagon but it's good his wounds, deep and rather unhinged, are starting to heal.
It looks like Tsuruko body-slammed him into the rock bottom. And now he's slowly, and hopefully steadily, going up again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
The last scene with Poppo calling Menma had me thinking he might have developed a thing for young girls because of her. He's visited Thailand three times now, judging from his map, hasn't he? I hear the lolita sex industry is pretty developed there. Then he visited Vietnam, and Dubai, and all these other really shady places across South-East and South-West Asia. Dude is obese and a few years off from becoming a full-fledged pedophile. Hopefully the Super Peace Busters save him as well.
First he's too fat, and now this? Can't he have gone there because they're the closest, most affordable places? Not to mention interesting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Yukiatsu, aren't you asking out the wrong person? I mean, for all her coldness and harsh attitude, everything Tsuruko does is all for you. XD

Tsuruko is rapidly rising to be my most favourite character of the show. I mean, just can't help it when she gets awesome oneliners like the squeeze the pus out, and nonchalantly asking Yukiatsu not to use her to improve his self-esteem.
I do love her deadpan manner. Especially with herself.

Quote:
Now if only Yukiatsu is half as flirty with Tsuruko as he was with Anaru... just wanna see Tsuruko's face lol.
As if that'd work. It reminded me of the guy with the wooden sword, in the last episode of Katanagatari. And what Shichika told him.

"Your words are nothing but talk. They don't move me at all."

Sure, he goes through the motions of asking Anaru out. But his heart isn't in it at all.

Quote:
That's my point. As long as she can only speak to Jinta, it requires the rest of the group to take a leap of faith and believe that Jinta is telling the truth.
Eh. She can write.
Old 2011-05-13, 13:04   Link #57
CWW
Lurker

Quote:
Jinta feels the same way toward Menma as Anaru does toward Jinta.
Not at all. Jinta is quite apathetic in general. There are no hints whatsoever that Jinta still has lingering romantic feelings towards Menma. Regrets, sure, that he couldn't apologize for calling her something he didn't mean, but that's about it. He treats her like a little sister more than anything.
Old 2011-05-13, 13:06   Link #58
lahfielxi
wut wut~

Send a message via AIM to lahfielxi
being a ghost skeptic at this point is ridiculous. the only legs you have to stand on are:

"omg the entire show is all in jinta's head"

or

"omg jinta is super psychic, he delved into yukiatsu's mind to find something from his past that he and menma shared"

there's no leap involved after this episode+evidence from other ones.

i don't think poppo wants to get rid of her more than solve her problem so she can rest in peace.
Old 2011-05-13, 13:06   Link #59
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Great, great, great!

This series is really becoming my "most looked forward to" one for the season!
Old 2011-05-13, 13:08   Link #60
lahfielxi
wut wut~

Send a message via AIM to lahfielxi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post
Not at all. Jinta is quite apathetic in general. There are no hints whatsoever that Jinta still has lingering romantic feelings towards Menma. Regrets, sure, that he couldn't apologize for calling her something he didn't mean, but that's about it. He treats her like a little sister more than anything.
most people don't get flustered by their little sister's matured bodies bouncing on top of them, blush, and go to sleep on a couch instead.