AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2012-01-24, 08:21   Link #101
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

You know, it's not like Umineko never made me thought about that since it's filled with concepts that are very well known in modern and post-modern theatrical drama, but your story is getting even closer to "Six Characters in Search of an Author".
Have you ever heard about it or seen it?

It's the story of six characters who somehow manage to appear in the setting of a real world drama company offering to tell them their story and asking to be impersonated (hence the title).

One of the main point of this drama is the fact that no matter how much the actors try to portray them or how much the characters try to explain themselves, the acting inevitably fails to capture the essence of the latters.

You can read it here if you are interested.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 11:01   Link #102
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

It ends up being a little weirdly recursive there, probably along the same lines as the play, since we already have the issue in Umineko that we have no idea how much the "message bottle characters" resemble the actual people of Rokkenjima. And then you have fans posing as the characters who were stand-ins for the real people. And also Beatrice... maybe.

But it's mostly being played for comedy. Only one person is trying particularly hard to stay in-character, and they often don't quite physically resemble their characters.
Spoiler for Some try. Some aren't trying very hard:
I just use the original sprites out of laziness for cognitive dissonance. There is an actual point to it, of course, but it's definitely not meant to be taken as anything profound or insightful. It's just a side thing I'm doing to try to refresh and develop better writing strategies, and it seems to be working. At least in terms of output. Not necessarily quality.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-26, 20:19   Link #103
zibbazabba905
twuth it EASY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
You can read it here if you are interested.
Spoiler for getting a bit off topic:
zibbazabba905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-27, 04:18   Link #104
Dlanor .A. Nox
The Death!

I have my own story I want to make into a game...unfortunately I suck hard at understanding computer LANGUAGE. Oh well I'll still try, I'll get this EVENTUALLY.
Old 2012-01-27, 04:22   Link #105
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlanor .A. Nox View Post
I have my own story I want to make into a game...unfortunately I suck hard at understanding computer LANGUAGE. Oh well I'll still try, I'll get this EVENTUALLY.
In case you haven't already and are looking to use ONScripter, check out this site: http://nscripter.insani.org/

If not, well, good luck with whatever else...

I just know what you should be doing.
immblueversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-27, 09:31   Link #106
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

There's some [O]NScripter tutorials around earlier in the thread, if you want to take a look at them. Editing the baseline game is probably the easiest way to figure it out, as long as you're comfortable with the language and able to get a handle on it. If you want to use custom resources, ask SeagullCrazy or Jan-Poo how they do it and they can probably explain the details. I'd help, but I don't use NScripter, so I can only vaguely tell you that there's a way to import custom art (backgrounds, portraits, etc.) into the .nsa or add your own supplementary archive. If you're only planning to use default resources, then the main thing will just be learning to script.

Old 2012-01-28, 02:52   Link #107
Dlanor .A. Nox
The Death!

I see thank you, I'm not really computer savy at all so if I wanted help it would be for the very basic of BASICS.
Old 2012-01-29, 01:37   Link #108
WitchOfDoubt

Renall: Cognitive dissonance? You mean, reading about one costume and seeing another represented?

I guess, but what I really like about your using the original sprites here is the suggestion that they represent a bunch of dorks in goofy, ill-researched Ushiromiya family re-enactment cosplay.

For me, this idea brings the opposite of cognitive dissonance. If I look at Battler's original sprite and think, "That's somebody re-enacting Battler's part in a questionable costume," not a single neuron fires in protest.
WitchOfDoubt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-29, 02:05   Link #109
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Well, the cognitive dissonance is that you see one person when it's really not. "Not-Battler", "Not-Erika", etcetera. That, and the personalities aren't going to match up well.

At all.
Old 2012-02-01, 09:15   Link #110
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
Well, the cognitive dissonance is that you see one person when it's really not. "Not-Battler", "Not-Erika", etcetera. That, and the personalities aren't going to match up well.

At all.
I think he's making a joke at the expense of Ryukishi's original sprites, and how they look like cheap knockoffs of themselves.

I can't entirely disagree.

Old 2012-02-01, 23:35   Link #111
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera

I'm finishing up the rough outline for a mystery, and pretty soon I'm going to need someone to do a trial run with me in order to check the logic and solvability. Anybody who's read up to EP7 feel up to the job?

The working title is "The Santa Cross." The date is December 24th, 1985, the place is Rokkenjima, the detective is a witch, and the victim has simply fallen blazing from the sky... perhaps.
Old 2012-02-01, 23:44   Link #112
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

I can do it. If possible, IMs would be best for quick back-and-forth.
Old 2012-02-01, 23:45   Link #113
Toku

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalAura View Post
I'm finishing up the rough outline for a mystery, and pretty soon I'm going to need someone to do a trial run with me in order to check the logic and solvability. Anybody who's read up to EP7 feel up to the job?

The working title is "The Santa Cross." The date is December 24th, 1985, the place is Rokkenjima, the detective is a witch, and the victim has simply fallen blazing from the sky... perhaps.
I would love to read this. If you want, I'll try and check it.
Toku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 23:54   Link #114
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera

Excellent, I'll let both of you know as soon as it's ready to go. Be forewarned, it's going to be relatively bare-bones at this stage, though.
Old 2012-02-01, 23:56   Link #115
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

No problemo, I look forward to it.
Old 2012-02-02, 00:03   Link #116
Toku

Yay. I'll do what I can.
Old 2012-02-05, 16:34   Link #117
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Alright so last night Renall and I brainstormed this idea but we're both busy so there's little chance this'll ever get written. So I'm just gonna summarize what we came up with. The idea of the fanfic was that the tragedy of 1986 never happened, and this is a SUPER HAPPY FUTURE FAMILY CONFERENCE taking place in like 2016 or something.

USHIROMIYA KINZO
He's still alive. Infact, he's as healthy as he always was, and just refuses to die. Everyone in the family jokes he'll never die unless you light him on fire. If there's ever a 2036 sequel, Kinzo will still be alive.
"Hey Jessica, remember that time I tried to stay in my office for five years straight to mess with everyone?" "Yea, Eva went crazy thinking you were dead. It was hilarious."

USHIROMIYA KRAUSS (not present)
Is helping to colonize the moon.
"THEY CALLED ME MAD!"

USHIROMIYA NATSUHI (not present)
Is helping to colonize the moon. Her headaches are gone, thanks to her now happy future.

USHIROMIYA JESSICA
The current head of the family, wife of Yoshiya, mother of Lion. She is an amazing businesswoman, well-like for being personable and friendly to her clients and business partners. She made a fortune investing in all the right companies at all the right time, surpassing even Kinzo's genius.

USHIROMIYA YOSHIYA
Yea...Yasu is still Yasu. So hilariously, Jessica still hasn't noticed anything suspicious. He insisted on naming their child Lion. He and Sayo are always just missing each other infront of the family, and mention "Oh, we met in the hallway. Be right back." "What'd I miss?"

USHIROMIYA LION
The child of Jessica and Yoshiya, the latter of whom insisted on their name. Lion's gender is always comically evaded whenever it's addressed, so the reader never finds out Lion's gender. Lion loves their pet cat, Diana, and has a crush on Jessica's laywer, a man named Will (not present).
Lion is the perfect child in every way, including being the Student Council President. S/He suspects something about Sayo and Yoshiya, since s/he looks just like the cousins.
DISLIKES: Rudeness and improper behavior (resulting in buttpinching)

USHIROMIYA EVA (Not present)
After George married Sayo, who revealed she had found the gold, Eva mellowed out and is now on splendid, friendly terms with the former maid. Infact, Eva's pretty much happy with her life and has lost all her bitchiness, and has become content with being a housewife. She has her hands full with their young daughter, Emma, who drives Eva up the wall.

USHIROMIYA HIDEYOSHI (not present)
Is basically the same. Eh. Took Eva on a romantic vacation, so Emma is living with George for the week.

USHIROMIYA GEORGE
Succeeded in creating his own empire, becoming an incredible business tycoon. Has never noticed anything suspicious about Sayo in any way. Is so happy being a father that he'd like to have even more kids than what he has.

USHIROMIYA SAYO
Is Yasu, same as with Yoshiya. Yes, Yasu managed to be both a father and a mother, just go with it. Found the gold back in 1986.

USHIROMIYA CLAIR
The firstborn daughter of Sayo and George. She is a white-haired girl with a taste in gothic lolita fashion. Due to severe inbreeding (unknown to George), she is very sickly, so all her interests are passive, indoors things, her favorite being reading. She has an interest in acting, and is in the Theatre Club. Suspects something weird about Sayo and Yoshiya, since she and her sisters look just like Lion.

USHIROMIYA BERNICE
The older of a pair of twins. She likes to wear her hair down, and wear loose clothing. She's an energetic, mischievous sort always dragging her sister into trouble with her. She has an interest in magic tricks, an always did cute little magic shows as a kid. Her siblings and cousins still don't understand some of her tricks, to her delight. Suspects something weird about Sayo and Yoshiya...
LIKES: magic tricks, black coffee and ice cream, scary movies, and Halloween.
DISLIKES: mirrors, pink, and spider webs.

USHIROMIYA BETH
The younger of a pair of twins. She likes to wear her hair in a bun, and look pretty, even if some of her favorite outfits are hard to move in. She's more demure than her sister, and is a bit shy. She's usually used as an assistant for her sister's tricks, pranks, and schemes, being pulled into trouble against her will. She had a crush on her Uncle Battler when she was a kid, which her older sister teases her about. Doesn't notice anything weird about Sayo or Yoshiya because she's kind of airheaded. Despite her preoccupation with her looks, she's afraid of mirrors, so she uses her sister and other family members to tell her how she looks. She likes to draw, and is thinking of going into manga.
LIKES: her family, white tea and yogurt, comedy movies, drawing, pink
DISLIKES: dirt, mirrors, Battler's date, wolves.

USHIROMIYA EMMA
George's little sister, who's staying with him for the week. She's still in high school, and is the spitting image of Eva at her age. She is a feminine, proper lady, which drives Eva completely bonkers. She's in that rebellious phase where she and Eva are constantly butting heads. She dreams of being a bride and a mother, and has no ambitions being that. She'd like to be a florist, though. She is constantly texting her friends the entire weekend, stopping only to hang out with her nieces and nephews, who are around her age.
LIKES: Flower Arrangement, Boys, doing her nails, and gossiping with friends
DISLIKES: hard work, business, being without the internet.

USHIROMIYA RUDOLF (Not present)
Is having fun having a mob battle with the Sumaderas. Gets thrown in jail a lot for non-financial reasons. It never sticks. Stopped cheating on Kyrie after her threat.

USHIROMIYA KYRIE (not present)
Is Kyrie, so she does what she wants. She is also mob battling as Rudolf's partner, and constantly busts him out of jail. Has a habit of shooting female receptionists. Icing bitches is what she does. This totally has nothing to do with Asumu, I swear.
"Cheat on me again and the next bullet goes in your balls." "Yes, honey."

USHIROMIYA BATTLER
Is the only cousin who didn't marry, and is a swinging bachelor who boasts of a wide sexual history. He's never introduced any of his multiple girlfriends to the family since they never lasted long. Has a taste in blonde, busty foreign women, ihihi~

Yea, that's a lie. Battler is a closeted homosexual, and he really fancies mustached older gentlemen. He's really creeped out by Juuza due to the resemblance, and their son doesn't help matters. He's a writer, and despite mysteries being his favorite genre to read, he insists on writing romance.

He brought a 'date' that looks like Dlanor, but is suspiciously interested in Erika's date.

USHIROMIYA ANGE
Married Juuza Amakusa, who adopted into the family register. She ditched her hairclips a long time ago, without the tragedy to give them a special meaning. She is a writer like her brother, but writes children's stories. Her most popular series is about seven selfish sisters who always cause each other trouble, and have to work together to get through their trials. She has a hobby of bungie-jumping

USHIROMIYA JUUZA
A former mercenary who met Ange by mere chance. Funny story, actually, she was at a bungie-jumping event with some fellow enthusiasts and they met...then some crazy stuff happened and...hehe, tell you some other time.

The family took a while getting used to him due to being 12 years older than Ange and having a bit of a rude personality. He looks a lot like Battler, which freaks Battler himself right the fuck out. He currently works as a used car salesman.

USHIROMIYA BATTLER JR
Is the spitting image of Battler as a 12 year old, and is at that age where he's discovering 'boobies', which causes an incident when he grabs Sayo's and discovers something amiss.

Yasu is able to smooth it over by going "Kids, right?" Still, Battler Jr. is now suspicious of her. He is basically "Other Battler", to keep up the joke about Kinzo's great-grandchildren. He's teased about his picky eating habits, since 'you won't grow big like your Uncle that way'.
LIKES: Boobies, mystery novels, action manga, blonde girls, videogames.
DISLIKES: Flat girls, vegetables, milk.

USHIROMIYA ROSA (not present)
She's worked things out in therapy with Maria, and met a wonderful man who's never betrayed her. She's currently on a search for Maria's father in order to give that jackass a piece of her mind. She's currently in Europe.

USHIROMIYA SHINJI (not present)
Rosa's new husband. He loves Maria very much, and was actually excited when he learned she already had a daughter. He's kind of pussywhipped, because after her therapy Rosa's not taking shit from anyone.
"Yes Dear..."
Is currently in Europe.

USHIROMIYA MARIA
Has lived an amazingly happy life after her and her mother worked things out in therapy. She married, but her husband is now deceased. She loves her younger brother and all of her children, and is the ultimate New Age Hippie Mom, coddling the heck out of her kids to the point that they are ill-prepared for adulthood.

Her husband parted on good terms, and she doesn't share Rosa's old loneliness because he's waiting for her in the Golden Land, which she's come to accept as a metaphor for the afterlife. Her husband hit her a lot, but she doesn't mind it. <3

Her children all eerily resemble the Siestas, which she hasn't noticed, and their names are all puns for their numberings, which she didn't intend. (Names not yet come up with).

USHIROMIYA JOSEPH (deceased)
A French man Maria met when she visited Europe with her mother and step-father. They fell in love at first sight, like it was magic. He had a breakdown due to his work and ended up abusing Maria at one point in their marriage, but he got better. Unfortunately, he died of a heart attack less than a year afterwards.

Despite that, he was a loving husband and father, and his warmth and kindness made sure that his children and wife will never be lonely again.

USHIROMIYA REI (00)
The oldest of her sisters. She's wearing an eyepatch this conference because she got in a fight at school. She's kind of hard to approach due to her tough, aloof attitude, but she spoils her youngest sister. She is part of the School Band, and raises pet rabbits with her sisters.
LIKES: Rabbits, carrots, playing the French Horn, fighting.
DISLIKES: Disrespect, sweets, cheese.

USHIROMIYA ??? (45)
The second-oldest sister. She has a timid and methodical personality, though she lacks self-confidence and goes with what her sisters tell her to do. She's never disobeyed an authority figure, and frightens easily. She's kind of a doormat the way she lets people walk all over her. She loves her rabbits, however, and is part of the School Band.
DISLIKES: Choices, being interrogated, scary things

USHIROMIYA ??? (410)
The second-youngest sister. She loves to tease and laugh at people who don't loosen up, causing her to seem like an arrogant and rough person. In reality, she gets lonely incredibly easily, and loves company. It's just that she's kinda tsundere. She loves their rabbits the most out of all of them, and her teasing comes in handy since it encourages her sisters to stay on top of their game during Practice.
DISLIKES: Loneliness, serious people, making mistakes.

USHIROMIYA ??? (556)
The youngest sister. She's extremely unlucky, but she's loved by everyone and is spoiled by her siblings and cousins. She's the best at the French Horn, but she's incompetent at most other things. Extremely clumsy, so she's afraid of handling the rabbits.
LIKES: Rabbits, carrots, playing the French Horn, soft and hard to break things
DISLIKES: Games of chance, fragile things, responsibility.

USHIROMIYA SAKUTAROU
The younger brother of Maria, born in 1987, and she decided to name him after her...best friend... He's a timid, shy person who doesn't open up to people well, but he's always played with Maria, and he loves his entire family. He had no friends throughout school, however, so he's hoping College will be his fresh start. He and his roommate don't hate each other atleast...
His neices constantly tackle him when they see him because he's so damn adorable~!

He is a vegetarian.
LIKES: Making friends, cheese and candy, animals, multiplayer videogames.
DISLIKES: Strangers, meat, Assholes on Xbox Live.

ERIKA FURUDO
A close family friend of the Ushiromiyas ever since she was rescued in 1986. She and Jessica are true BFFs. She has a calm, morose personality and is an intellectual, but she would never push her beliefs on anyone and finds those sorts of people to be annoying. When Lion was given two kittens, Diana and Bernkastel, they didn't get along, so Bern was given to Erika, who loves her cat immeasurably. She and Battler share most of their interests, so the family joke that they should hook up. Erika, however, is a closeted lesbian. She is a private investigator.
She brought a 'date' that looks just like Ronove, though she seems more interested in Battler's date.

DR. NANJO TERUMASA (Deceased)
Died before Kinzo. The rest of his family broke their ties with the Ushiromiyas because holy shit.

GENJI RONOUE (Deceased)
Opened up in his older years and became a personable, emotionally vibrant person. He told the family everything about how he knew Kinzo, and the family will reflect on this fondly, but the specifics will never be mentioned to the Reader purely as a cocktease.

KUMASAWA VIRGILIA
Chiyo's granddaughter, a young woman who's studying to be a schoolteacher. She's in on Yasu's secret, and nannies her children while she's going back and forth between Jessica and George.

GOHDA TOSHIRO
Is doing excellently, thank you for asking!

He's a world-famous chef who still comes to serve meals during the Ushiromiyas, dearly fond of the family as a whole. He opened up a restaurant chain popular the world over known as Lambdadelta L'coquette. "We're certain you'll enjoy it!" He made it big when Jessica invested in his restaurant, which made a contract with George's company.

HACHIJOU IKUKO (not present)
Only appears in a flashback of Battler's, where he describes a crazy fan at a booksigning. She was totally nuts, saying she wanted to take him home and she'd love him forever and everything. He doesn't show up in person anymore.

BEATRICE, THE GOLDEN WITCH
Identity undefined, but she's not Yasu. She shows up in the last few minutes of the story and comments how, being that it's 2016, the interest is really high and she's owed a heck of a lot of family members.

"Actually, Shannon found the gold like decades ago." "Yea, here it is." "Oh. Well. Uh. Say hi to Kinzo for me. Bye." The end.
Old 2012-02-05, 17:27   Link #118
RedKey
天界の異端審問官

I can totally picture Kinzo doing that sort of stuff.
RedKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-05, 20:04   Link #119
Toku

Major points to Aura and Renall for coming up with that. I laughed, hard.
Old 2012-02-06, 04:10   Link #120
reiimuuchan

that is all brilliant and i would read the hell out of something like that XD
reiimuuchan is offline   Reply With Quote