AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-02-06, 19:13   Link #901
DC20

Don't tell me she's not? Well, that sounds like a challenge

This might go slightly off topic from the language idea, but I can never resist discussing character interpretations for ANY unit, let alone my favorite.

First off, I CAN'T tell you she's not trying to attract men period for two reasons - 1) Character interpretation differs from person to person (and with as much room as VC gives for the minor characters, they can differ wildly and STILL all be correct), and 2) She's an 18/19 year old straight woman. However, I CAN make an argument as to the source of her use of the language and the extent to which she's attempting to attract men (as you said it was her focus).

First point: Potentials. Obviously she's going to be into men as an 18 year old woman - however, I would argue the extent of that and say that that's no more a motive for her than any other woman in the Squad (except two...). She doesn't have the "Fancy's Men" potential. Her buddy Cherry does (along with Freesia). In fact, knowing Ramona, I'd say her obsession with beauty doesn't stem from a desire to attract the opposite sex - it stems from narcissism, which I would consider an even greater personality flaw. Her looks give her status (regardless of the sex she's getting it from), and she's letting that get to her head.

Second point: When she uses the lines. It's very possible that the VC world's equivalent to French could be taught in their schools, however, I would argue that the times she uses the language indicate that the language wasn't a skill she acquired later in life. She only uses the French line when she's critically wounded - a very dire situation. Generally in such situations, people fall back to what they know or are used to. It is likely that if her French was a front or something she used because of its "romantic language" status she would use the lines in situations in which there was little risk of death. Her regular potentials. However, when she's injured it's likely that her front would be the first thing to fade, and she'd revert back to what she's most comfortable with.

Then again, that's just one of many possible interpretations, and I'm not saying yours is wrong ("This one's sealed with a kiss!" seems to point towards what you've said). There are many ways to interpret the characters, and I'm just trying to point out that you CAN in fact argue against her having a focus on trying to attract men

Still, your point stands that French of course could be taught, and that it is one of the few confirmed languages in the game (and the only one that's explicitly confirmed).
DC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-06, 19:25   Link #902
Woopzilla
Desensitized

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyosak View Post
Would you guys recommend buying this game even if I already watched the anime series?

Keep in mind I thought the whole story was pretty mediocre from what I got out of the anime.
The game is great and I'm glad I played it before the anime was even out. Plus japanese voices... awesome! I wish more companies would include the japanese voicetracks.

I tried watching the anime and just couldn't stand how they portrayed Welkin. He went from being a guy with slightly strange habits to quite an airhead. They might have redeemed him later on but I didn't watch that much. He'll seem like a new character to you when playing.

Plus Alicia loses her fairly annoying tsundere personality. Pure and sweet like she should be. You'll note that Selvaria will be missing the breast augmentation she seemed to have had for the anime. Though they're still big.
Old 2010-02-06, 20:04   Link #903
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Location: I'm not gone! I'm where you either use a slingshot or a gun!
Since I don't know Japanese, and I consider that Hisao Oguchi or Hajime Satomi might not know English (though it's not an impossiblity), and since I intend to send letters to both Electronic Arts, Inc. and Sega Corporation, I would like to know if anyone would be willing to translate an American Teenager's letter to two of the biggest names in the gaming industry.

---

DC, you make exlent points - and now that I think about it, Ramona only uses French when in dire situations, indicating it is her Mother Tongue (similar to how, if I was shot and dying, I don't think I'd mutter in German.) The image of beauty could have also lead me to make assumptions, and we both know what happens when one assumes...
RedShocktrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-06, 22:17   Link #904
kyosak
poo

Alright well thanks for the responses guys.

I ended up getting the game for ~$25 (game+tax+shipping). Hopefully having watched the anime won't take away from my experience too much.
kyosak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-07, 00:35   Link #905
SoggySoyBean
Squishie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyosak View Post
Alright well thanks for the responses guys.

I ended up getting the game for ~$25 (game+tax+shipping). Hopefully having watched the anime won't take away from my experience too much.
*clap*clap*clap* Let us know how it goes

and what, light trucks with machine guns are everywhere Ambit hasn't mounted the right gun ontop though >.> its still an M1919 oh well, at least it's still in service
SoggySoyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-14, 14:10   Link #906
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

I've been considering moving the mod from RA2 to Tiberian Sun, which is actually free now. This allows more people to play the mod (if I ever actually set to work on it - I don't even have an Edelweiss voxel!), and also allows me to scratch-build the Soviets. On the downside, it's more like classic C&C gameplay - though, I was hoping to emulate the RA1 soviets more closely than the RA2 or 3 ones.
Old 2010-02-14, 19:11   Link #907
Woopzilla
Desensitized

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShocktrooper View Post
I've been considering moving the mod from RA2 to Tiberian Sun, which is actually free now. This allows more people to play the mod (if I ever actually set to work on it - I don't even have an Edelweiss voxel!), and also allows me to scratch-build the Soviets. On the downside, it's more like classic C&C gameplay - though, I was hoping to emulate the RA1 soviets more closely than the RA2 or 3 ones.
Whoa, didn't know that about Tiberian Sun. My copy of Tib Sub went missing over the years so I was stuck with a useless Firestorm disc on its own.

I would've thought a mod for RA2 would be better though. One reason is that it's simply more colourful and 'cheerful' in comparison to Tib Sun's design and feel.
Old 2010-02-14, 23:41   Link #908
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Well, TS is free as of recent, so lost disks are no excuse. XD

Using RA2 also encourages my laziness, in that I'd recycle assets from the RA2 Soviets for them - which backfires my intention for them to be the RA1 Soviets. TS is also slower paced - the gloomy art style of TS can be replaced with a cheerier VC style, plus RA1-style snow. It would be a total conversion.
Old 2010-02-20, 06:17   Link #909
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
New DLC next week. FiretrUCK yeah.

http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/02/19...ing-next-week/

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-20, 10:01   Link #910
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Ugh. Another thing to play and buy over Spring Break.

It's either the VC DLC or FF XIII...

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-20, 12:57   Link #911
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallschirmjager View Post
New DLC next week...
Good to hear... though it's sad to see so many posts there which make me wonder if their creators want some cheese with that whine. As well as whether people have become incapable of enjoying an accomplishement for its own sake. To be fair, there are a couple of nice rebuttals mixed in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post

I'm tempted to answer 'VC DLC, no contest'. Of course, if you have a sufficient quantity of dead presidents on hand, the question becomes moot.
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-20, 14:24   Link #912
Seqi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post

FF13 isn't that good. If you don't mind dragging a game on for 25 hours before it gets good, at least. VC DLC wont take all week i wouldnt think.

Also im so happy Sega is still catering to VC fans. I've said it before and i'll say it again, it's just awesome to see them giving love to the game.
Seqi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-25, 15:34   Link #913
Runty

The new DLC is out, featuring 6 new missions for the members of the Edy Detachment. In particular, I'm keenly interested in Marina's scenario. From what I hear, it epitomizes stealth combat and precision; mess up once and you're dead.

If anyone here gets this, please put up a video playthrough on Youtube.
Runty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-25, 16:05   Link #914
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runty View Post
If anyone here gets this, please put up a video playthrough on Youtube.
Are you not going to get it? You should really play it yourself, rather than watch someone else do it. (Yes, I will get it [this evening]. No, I won't upload a playthrough anytime soon)
Old 2010-02-25, 16:44   Link #915
Runty

I don't own a PS3, regrettably.
Runty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-25, 16:48   Link #916
Seqi

The DLC isnt out yet. Im following the blog posts. Also there is no English dub, so its either quiet or Jap voices, which is kinda slack. Makes you think if they'll even bother localizing future VC DLC.
Old 2010-02-25, 16:53   Link #917
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seqi View Post
The DLC isnt out yet. Im following the blog posts. Also there is no English dub, so its either quiet or Jap voices, which is kinda slack. Makes you think if they'll even bother localizing future VC DLC.
That's a bad sign. Maybe they couldn't get one or more of the VAs back?
Old 2010-02-25, 16:55   Link #918
Seqi

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
That's a bad sign. Maybe they couldn't get one or more of the VAs back?
Which is worrying as VC2 has the Edy Detachment in it anyway.
Old 2010-02-25, 17:00   Link #919
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seqi View Post
Which is worrying as VC2 has the Edy Detachment in it anyway.
There might be some voice recycling going on - at minimum they either have Edy's VA or someone highly similar to her coming on - though, then again, VC2 takes place two years later, her voice could have changed.
Old 2010-02-25, 17:02   Link #920
Seqi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShocktrooper View Post
There might be some voice recycling going on - at minimum they either have Edy's VA or someone highly similar to her coming on - though, then again, VC2 takes place two years later, her voice could have changed.
Well that's slack. I was looking forward to some Marina voice acting. I liked hers, and it was never used for more than 2 minutes.
I hope they dont pull a cheap move like that though.