AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Sword Art Online - Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 46 21.70%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 42 19.81%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 40 18.87%
7 out of 10 : Good 36 16.98%
6 out of 10 : Average 29 13.68%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 5 2.36%
4 out of 10 : Poor 7 3.30%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 0.94%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 3 1.42%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.94%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-02-02, 03:17   Link #81
junpieeh

Just did a marathon of SAO of the whole series in 3 days.

Episodes 1-14 was probably the best anime I've seen in the last decade.

15-25... WTH happened.

They took everything that was great about 1-14, and literally locked the most important dynamic in a cage for the last 10 episodes. Seriously, watching it all at once, it's jarring how much of a shift for the worse the series takes. I'm actually shocked by how badly it unthreaded until a satisfactory 25.

I would give 1-14 a 10, and 15-25 a 4.
junpieeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-02, 10:54   Link #82
Haiprbim
Banned

Hey, junpieeh.

The first impression I got was exactly the same as yours.
However, then I looked at the storyline, and it was meant to be something amazing, they just haven't pulled it off.

The sudden change from SAO to ALO might have been a shock and a disappointment, but looking only at the story and Kirito and Asuna, it was great to see the passion.

Although they could pull it off better, I think that it was an amazing anime.

Overall, I would give it a rating of 9.5, but it would be a total 10 if they would connect the two Arc's better.

Thanks.
Haiprbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-03, 00:27   Link #83
Dark Faith
Often Disappointed

So even with their inability to pull it off alongside with the "shock and disappointment" from the transition to SAO to ALO... you consider the show to be a 9.5?

That's rather odd.
Dark Faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-03, 02:52   Link #84
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Faith View Post
So even with their inability to pull it off alongside with the "shock and disappointment" from the transition to SAO to ALO... you consider the show to be a 9.5?

That's rather odd.
There were many good parts, and I looked at the story as being focused on Kirito (Kazuto) - Asuna, and if I look it that way, it was a 9.5 for me.

Maybe I truly do give too nice grades, but I gladly say, that I would love seeing a second season of SAO - 3rd arc, Gun Gale Online.

That's just my vote. ;)
Haiprbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-03, 09:54   Link #85
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Numbers are fairly subjective anyway. There are some series that I watch that are fairly boring early on (Mai Hime, Nanoha StrikerS), but that I feel get real good later. So I'll end up "feeling" that they deserve a high number. In SAO's case, I feel that each arc had their merits(SAO was unique, SLO had a tight story, both decently written), but also had their weaknesses(SAO's time skips and lack of Asuna, and ALO's little sister and lack of Asuna action), so they cancel each other out. Thus, if i had to give it a number, I'd say perhaps an 8 overall.

And I'd probably only give it that, because of the relative lack of good anime to compare it to in the past few seasons. I'm probably also betting that most people rate it higher, because the animation and music give's one a better impression of the series. With slightly worse animation and a non-outstanding sound track, it would probably be something most people would pass over. It helps also, that Yuki Kajura is one of my favorite music artists. I love her sound tracks, heh. So I'm willing to admit those aspects colored my view.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-04, 12:29   Link #86
junpieeh

I could not agree more that Kujira is the best composer in anime but I still feel her earlier work was her best work (.hack and aquarian age). But I don't think it's her score or the animation (although I am fond of the character designs... Okay I'm fond of Asuna's character design...) carries the series more than the story itself.

I went into SAO without any prior knowledge of the manga or LN's and I marked out so many times during the SAO arc, more than any anime in recent memory. There were so many standout moments for me ("you'll be really powerful one day," Sachi's message, dual wielding, all of episode 10 and 13-14). I don't watch nearly as much anime in the last 10 years (you can assume I saw everything from 96-02) but 1-14 of SAO is in a league of its own with only a couple of features comparable in drama (sword of a stranger, eva 2.1. Elfen lied was memorable as was the beginning of ergo proxy).

And then ALO did nothing for me. What made Asuna and Kitaro such an incredible pairing was completely removed from the equation. Asuna's role is so different she's almost a different character. It all felt so anti-climatic.

I would argue if not for the SAO arc and the series had stared with ALO with some background establishing eps, most would've avoided ALO altogether. The only thing holding any appeal for ALO is your attachment to the characters from SAO.

I would also add that any attacks on SAO following anime tropes is unfair because I don't think there's an anime out there doesn't follow anime tropes to some degree. Elfen Lied is as bloody, violent, and dark as any anime in recent years and it's still 25% harem anime. I can't name any anime that doesn't hit typical anime notes (brooding underdog lead with enormous potential, harem, light hearted comedy filler episodes).

Regardless, I gave SAO a 7 because of the quality of 1-14 was so high and in my mind, I've kinda erased 15-24 (you take out the first 5 minutes of 25 and it actually fits together pretty well). But I really do think the SAO arc was amazing.
junpieeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 17:05   Link #87
gibits
Endless

I gave it an 8. I really liked this series and thought it was really good. I never read the light novels or the manga, and that rating was based on just the anime. I really hope it gets a 2nd season.

Somethings I loved were:
The main character. Kirito was OP as hell and yet very vulnerable at the same time. When he collects admirers, it's easy to see why. He's strong, noble and good looking. He also never gives up and goes to great lengths for people he cares about. The series also portrays it well rather that state it outright, we see him demonstrate those traits. Well him being good looking is outright stated (Klien commenting on it in the first episode) but the rest were well done and he never comes off as cocky. In fact he states that he is powerless in the grand scheme of things.

The romance: it caught me by surprise but I soon found that his relationship with Asuna was a central element of the story and it was well done. The producers didn't keep it G-rated. They kiss, they had sex, got married, buy a house and even adopt a kid. Sure it progressed fast but in a world were you are fighting demons and risking death, love usually blossms fast.

Some things I think they can work on:
1) I hated that Asuna was a damsel in distress in ALO. She was a very good female character in SAO and to see her reduced into someone to save sucked. I believe she will be coming to Kirito's resue in a future arc so I guess that should make up for it.

2) Kirito's mind games: I know he's supposed be very naive, but he really has to stop leading girls on. We all know he only has eyes for Asuna but stop doing things like:
1) being badass in front of them
2) looking awesome in in your black trenchcoat
3)sleeping in the same bed as them
4) grabbing/holding hands with them. Especially when you are falling out of the sky, flying and sleeping next to them.
5) throwing them over your shoulder while doing something badass.
6) dance with them in the clouds.
7) hug them with your hands on the small of their back.
I was naive once and I never thought of those as innocent thing to do with a girl, especially with my sister.
gibits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-11, 13:59   Link #88
mystogan
The Lost Lamb

i'll give it a 9 - 9.5

In technical aspect, great art, great animation, great music

Well first of all i was intrigued by the concept, usually it could have been the same typical shounen thing (fighting against monsters, saving everyone etc.), but the introduction of online MMORPG in the anime was what drove me into it, it was watching an RPG game come to life, complete fantasy, whole different world.

then the plot that many thousand people are trapped in an RPG, where it more than a game it a real-virtual world, i just started liking this anime from the first episode itself.

Now as the story progressed i din't like how a lot of levels were skipped even how he achieved his gear was skipped and it was going very fast, some episodes were more of a side adventures of the game, but then it seemed correct seeing that it is an RPG game and to cover the entire game in limited episodes and to show all the elements of an RPG it should go fast and that elements and characters of early episodes were not left off and were also shown in the future episodes,

i also din't like how Kirito was getting involved with lot of girls, but then they weren't around for long and other than Asuna it was only one girl who had grown feelings for him. i wasn't looking out for the romance at the beginning but then i was surprised as to how nice the romance was shown, and the best thing was that they din't waste time on just saying "i Love You", and showed it maturely that they get married and get intimate and also get a child.(however i am not fond of Yui)

As everyone mentioned i hated that in ALO, one of the possible best female leads was put in a cage powerless and needed to be saved, that was the biggest thing i hated, and the next biggest thing i hated that they introduced his sister who loves him (her own brother), and i hated when she meets Kirito in ALO and develops a romance with him, it was as if she can't win his heart in real life so she will chase him in a virtual world, the thing that saved me from hating it further was that she din't knew that it was Kazuto.

Now i liked the series and even though some things i hated,through out the series it wasn't boring, it was very enjoyable and din't felt the same as the end drew near. The series felt very very nice and i think the best of 2012.
Old 2013-02-19, 01:23   Link #89
wingzerocustoom

I give it 7.

It was a very good anime that i love is so much however it has some flaws in it.
I'm not too sure whether the SAO that i watch had some portion cutted or not.
It didn't had much details on how Kirito get to meet/saved the Sachi & her members before joining their guild, how kirito meet up with Agil & become his regulars.
How Asuna was been recruited to the blood knights guild and much more things.
In overall the details were been cutted off from this anime. In the end this was the greatest anime of the year.
wingzerocustoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-19, 07:00   Link #90
iceyfw

anime adaptation for SAO gets a 5.9/10 from me. now keep in mind i read the LNs up to the GGO arc before the anime aired, and i finished speed watching the ALO arc last night. oh, boy. i didn't think they would rush it that bad after what happened in the last two episodes of the SAO arc from what i can remember.

positives
  • some great and beautiful soundtracks
  • some fights were beautifully animated. short but sweet at the same time. you can tell they spent a pretty penny animating some of those fights.

negatives
  • rushed some parts of the subplots
  • final climax with heathcliff didn't impress me at all. i remember reading the LN for that scene, and i had a way better visual imagery of how it would go down
  • details... i like details in whatever entertainment medium i read or watch. that is the one major pet peeve i have with this anime adaptation. the details the LN covered didn't make it into the dialogue. i.e. kirito's stats in ALO and how it worked. also the lack of a proper explanation about extra skills in SAO.
  • some scenes not adapted in SAO and ALO. i.e. kirito not showing lisbeth the dual wield skill in the anime. and i understand why. it didn't fit into their budget to animate that scene.
  • felt like improper storyboard planning of how each episode would go. this was especially obvious at how the ALO pacing went

just some negatives and positives i thought off the top of my head. i would have given it a lower score but hey, they gave us some fanservice of suguha! so i had to bump the rating up.
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-23, 14:47   Link #91
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingzerocustoom View Post
It didn't had much details on how Kirito get to meet/saved the Sachi & her members before joining their guild, how kirito meet up with Agil & become his regulars.
How Asuna was been recruited to the blood knights guild and much more things.
In overall the details were been cutted off from this anime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceyfw View Post
details... i like details in whatever entertainment medium i read or watch. that is the one major pet peeve i have with this anime adaptation. the details the LN covered didn't make it into the dialogue. i.e. kirito's stats in ALO and how it worked. also the lack of a proper explanation about extra skills in SAO.
I'm honestly not sure if it's realistic to expect any visual adaptation of a novel to retain all the details of the original source, because a) all those details aren't necessarily suited to a visual medium, b) they're not always essential to conveying the plot, and c) it'd take a lot more time, and this would impact the show's pacing. I think one of the trickiest parts of anime writing (and one of the more underrated) is making each episode work well in its 24-minute time so that each episode stands alone, while also fitting into the overall sequence. I'm not necessarily saying that they got the balance perfectly here or that they didn't make any mistakes... but it's hard to think of any novel adaptation that didn't drop a lot of detail, since detail is something particularly well suited to the written word. I actually don't think this is even unique to anime either (thinking of Hollywood movie adaptations...).

Again, this isn't necessarily trying to change opinions, but more of an observation. If the measuring stick for the anime was "adapt everything from the novels", that may have been impossible from the get-go. And of the points that have been mentioned so far, at least, I'm not sure that adding them would have helped propel or develop the plot, although certainly interesting.

Quote:
some scenes not adapted in SAO and ALO. i.e. kirito not showing lisbeth the dual wield skill in the anime. and i understand why. it didn't fit into their budget to animate that scene.
This particular example at least wasn't a matter of budget, but rather a matter of story sequencing. In the anime, we didn't yet know about dual-wield at that time, and revealing it in the Lisbeth episode would have been a heck of a lot less dramatic. This way, the second sword served as foreshadowing for the eventual reveal. Some of the other decisions about what material to cut were also made with this sort of planning in mind.
Old 2013-02-26, 04:08   Link #92
iceyfw

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I'm honestly not sure if it's realistic to expect any visual adaptation of a novel to retain all the details of the original source, because a) all those details aren't necessarily suited to a visual medium, b) they're not always essential to conveying the plot, and c) it'd take a lot more time, and this would impact the show's pacing. I think one of the trickiest parts of anime writing (and one of the more underrated) is making each episode work well in its 24-minute time so that each episode stands alone, while also fitting into the overall sequence. I'm not necessarily saying that they got the balance perfectly here or that they didn't make any mistakes... but it's hard to think of any novel adaptation that didn't drop a lot of detail, since detail is something particularly well suited to the written word. I actually don't think this is even unique to anime either (thinking of Hollywood movie adaptations...).
i get what you're saying. i blame the time constraint these people deal with, and have to short change on some things from the original source. i can see anime adaptations getting better if they could end at episode 15 or 19 but it'll most likely never happen with how the Japanese anime industry is right now with their TV time slots, or rather the TV station itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame
Again, this isn't necessarily trying to change opinions, but more of an observation. If the measuring stick for the anime was "adapt everything from the novels", that may have been impossible from the get-go. And of the points that have been mentioned so far, at least, I'm not sure that adding them would have helped propel or develop the plot, although certainly interesting.
it would have certainly built more suspense if they gave details on how extra skills worked in SAO. just the smallest details can build up to great suspense, and make the audience go "Holy nuggets!" or "Aww yeah!" when it comes to the revelation. not needed to advanced the plot like you said, but it certainly does give a better feel of how the rules of the SAO skill system works and the question of how a one-of-a-kind unique overpowered extra skill happened to land in his lap. again something i'm sure the anime only viewers would have deeply speculated if they had explained it properly. info from healthcliff didn't give me an impact in the anime like it did in the LN when he explained how kirito obtained <dual wield>

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame
This particular example at least wasn't a matter of budget, but rather a matter of story sequencing. In the anime, we didn't yet know about dual-wield at that time, and revealing it in the Lisbeth episode would have been a heck of a lot less dramatic. This way, the second sword served as foreshadowing for the eventual reveal. Some of the other decisions about what material to cut were also made with this sort of planning in mind.
i honestly believe it's a mix of both after trying to view it from your perspective. more on the time constraint also. again i am assuming since i don't have access to the company ledger of how much money they originally had for the SAO project, and how much they ended up spending after animating 25 episodes + TV time slot + voice actors + OST + advertisements for the PSP game. i do agree revealing the extra skill <dual wield> would have been much less dramatic. seemingly i was right about why they changed it since i posted about the change in the weekly anime and LN comparison thread way way way back. i still wish they would have at least make Lisbeth question why kirito would need another strong one-handed sword since he already had one. wait a minute... the anime didn't even mention how ridiculous it would be to wield kirito's one-handed black sword if the player didn't have an incredibly high strength stat. nor of how... never mind! bleh.

well they got what they wanted in the end. DVD/BD are selling well and the LN numbers went up. all went well for them regardless of how some, if not most, LN readers feel.
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-26, 22:42   Link #93
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
i get what you're saying. i blame the time constraint these people deal with, and have to short change on some things from the original source. i can see anime adaptations getting better if they could end at episode 15 or 19 but it'll most likely never happen with how the Japanese anime industry is right now with their TV time slots, or rather the TV station itself.
I honestly don't think it's case where they were really all that pressed for time. You can't just add episodes randomly, you have to somehow make each episode have some sort of flow, and keep some sort of momentum from week-to-week. I suppose there are some episodes that were done standalone that could have been stretched into two-parters... but that doesn't necessarily add details throughout the story, just further develops one particular story or arc.

Really, to do what you want, it's not really the episode count that would need to fluctuate, but the episode duration. But that's even more tricky.

Quote:
it would have certainly built more suspense if they gave details on how extra skills worked in SAO. just the smallest details can build up to great suspense, and make the audience go "Holy nuggets!" or "Aww yeah!" when it comes to the revelation. not needed to advanced the plot like you said, but it certainly does give a better feel of how the rules of the SAO skill system works and the question of how a one-of-a-kind unique overpowered extra skill happened to land in his lap. again something i'm sure the anime only viewers would have deeply speculated if they had explained it properly. info from healthcliff didn't give me an impact in the anime like it did in the LN when he explained how kirito obtained <dual wield>
Well, keep in mind that you already knew what happened in the novel, so knowing the "big reveal" is automatically going to cause things to feel differently to you in the other medium.

Otherwise, I don't know the novels that well so I can't really comment about specific revelations... but I'll at least say that I had no problem following the breadcrumbs related to this point. I'm not necessarily opposed to details, but I don't think all these details would necessarily be easy to communicate in a visual medium and be followed by the audience at large (who may or may not know anything about MMORPGs).

Quote:
i still wish they would have at least make Lisbeth question why kirito would need another strong one-handed sword since he already had one. wait a minute... the anime didn't even mention how ridiculous it would be to wield kirito's one-handed black sword if the player didn't have an incredibly high strength stat. nor of how... never mind! bleh.
I think this isn't necessary. Him getting the second sword was already the elephant in the room, but what you're wanting is for them to put like flashy arrows and be like "don't miss this!!!". I think it's much better for it to just happen, people may or may not question it at the time, but then later on with the reveal you go "ohhh, so that's why" and it all makes sense. It means that there are things you'll notice on the second viewing that you didn't notice on the first pass, and I think that's fine.

Again, keep in mind that in the novel you already knew about the dual wield, so there was no need for dramatic suspense here in the book. So in that case, it's necessary for Lisbeth and Kirito to have the conversation about the sword, because they're making the connection back to the original plot in reverse. The thing that comes later (from the reader's perspective) has to refer back to the thing that came earlier (from the reader's perspective). So in both cases, the way they developed this point makes sense. I definitely don't think it had anything to do with time constraints; even if they had stretch that out to two episodes, I think they still would have avoided "spoiling" the sword reveal later on.
Old 2013-03-02, 09:51   Link #94
The Shinigami
Last Order

In fact, speaking of pacing, that's pretty much where SAO excelled at first. Every episode had a decent amount going on and even those with cliffhangers were satisfying until the next week. The problem is this quality dwindled as the anime went on. Basically, the anime started out well, but then the pacing slowed down.

Concerning Elucidator and Dark Repulser, relentlessflame kind of nailed it. Whereas the "side stories" with Lisbeth, Silica, and the others, took place earlier on in the anime, in the visual novels, we pretty much started at the beginning of SAO then jumped right to the front lines. Everything in between was considered separate which is why a reference to his future dual-wielding skill was permissible in the light novels.

The Shinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 18:37   Link #95
Ledgem
Love Yourself

The series beautifully captured the feelings behind MMORPGs while also raising interesting considerations about virtual reality. I felt that it kept the excitement high throughout the series. While the shift from Sword Art Online to ALfheim Online was a bit jarring (particularly the lead heroine swap from Asuna to Sugu), it was no less enjoyable to watch. This is the first series that I've seen in a long time where I was worry to finish the last episode and know that there were no more adventures to see with those characters in that setting. I ranked it 10/10.
Old 2013-04-22, 11:38   Link #96
VTHokiePride

The Aincrad arc was far better than the Alfheim arc. Both Asuna's and Kirito's relationship and development were extremely well done. I managed to cover this show in 2 days because I couldn't wait until the next episode because of the cliffhangers. When I got to the Alfheim arc, that changed. I kept watching and waiting for the moment Asuna and Kirito were reunited. The change of heroines was a little weird. I thought of Asuna being almost as strong as Kirito. To see her reduce to the damsel in distress role bothered me a little bit. The animation and soundtrack made everything a lot better. I actually didn't skip the credits and openings sometimes.
All in all I gave this series a 9. I really hope they make the Gun Gale Online arc.
VTHokiePride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-23, 16:14   Link #97
ranchan13

Now that I've given the series a chance to gestate in my mind, I can properly review it.
I made this picture to illustrate my feelings of the anime

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Integrated
Artificial
Lifeform

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-04-26 at 16:12. Reason: Placed in image tag
ranchan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-23, 20:51   Link #98
VTHokiePride

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchan13 View Post
Now that I've given the series a chance to gestate in my mind, I can properly review it.
I made this picture to illustrate my feelings of the anime

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Lol Is what you got a bad thing?

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-04-26 at 16:12.
VTHokiePride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-23, 21:02   Link #99
ranchan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokiePride View Post
Lol Is what you got a bad thing?
Not particularly, but it's levels away from what I expected
Integrated
Artificial
Lifeform
ranchan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 04:32   Link #100
Crassa
Streamline

Honestly If I hadn't been reading around the forum, I would have missed out on how Kirito suddenly got Black Cloak after joining KoB, and a lot of other things that wasn't explain in the Anime(suddenly forgotten all after wanting to write this). But nevertheless after setting wallpapers of SAO on phone/PC.. etc, you could really see how SAO looks like a real world and they were actually living on a real world, which made SAO grew inside me. I watched some other anime this last 5 days(Accel World, Mirai Nikki, Death Note) and none of them grew inside me even after the series finished. So it's definitely a 10/10 from me even though I can't really explain why.

p.s Yes 3 anime in 5 days! Had to sleep in the morning every day.
Crassa is offline   Reply With Quote