AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

Old 2013-06-27, 01:58   Link #541
Apache Thunder
Interdimensional Spy

Send a message via MSN to Apache Thunder Send a message via Yahoo to Apache Thunder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Wow, you guys sure like to type a lot 0_0

He might not have a choice- Have you seen the sci-fi TV series [Fringe] ? A common sci-fi explanation for these things is that children's brains are more susceptible to changes and hence more 'potential'.

Also remember how Personal Realities work, and you can sort of see why children are more ideal.
Ahh yes one possibility. But they could have slowed the timescale of the experiments and learning process down so that they don't reach high power levels too quickly. But I suppose they were too impatient and had needed go accelerate things so to speak to profit from the results as soon as possible.

Like the Misaka clones for example.

If they cloned all 20,000 at once and allowed them to mature normally, they would have had 20,000 level 5 clones in 14 years. A little expensive but the result is almost guaranteed since the original reached level 5 and thus all the others would be destined to do so as well. Assuming they started production soon after getting Misaka's DNA map.

But instead they wanted to rush it and used hormones and other chemicals to speed up the development of their bodies and used a special machine to "install" basic functions like language and information about the experiment among other things into their brains as if they were computers.

This resulted in stunted personalities and lack of emotions (for the most part) and "experiences" that typically define/refine one's personal reality. Thus they failed produce them at level 5 and got stuck with clones with level 2-3s.

Of course this meant they are more "compliant" and less likely to revolt. Something Alister would have preferred for some of his grander plans for them but not necessarily something the scientists directly involved with the experiment would have been told about.

Though they did manage to improve the process and make Misaka Worst clones that are level 4s. But I myself don't know a whole a lot about the Misaka Worst clones so I won't comment too much on them right now. :P

Either way the only real evil bastard in this show is Aliester who seems to control (or try to) humans like inanimate pawns ready to be killed and thrown away as soon as they become a detriment to his plans. As soon as Last Order was deemed "obsolete", he sent Misaka Worst to eliminate her. Can you imagine how many international crimes against humanity this guy could probably be found guilty of in today's courts?

But then again I don't know a whole lot on his back story (unless the author decided to incorporate most of the real life version of him into the show). I don't think his childhood or his true motivations behind his actions in the show are fully elaborated on in the anime/manga. I haven't read the LNs though but I skimmed through summaries of them on the wiki sites. But at this point he still has the mantle of being the most evil guy in the show currently. Unless the author does an asspull in a future LN and puts something higher up in the command chain and Aliester just turns out to be the side kick or the vice president so to speak. :P

For being the one true antagonist in this show, the author still hasn't come even close to setting up any sort of resolution or final conflict with him. I guess he wants to draw this one out a bit. I can't imagine what main issues there would be left to explore in the Index universe if Aliester is removed from the picture. I suppose he could cover the random religious sects and remnant packs of gangs/scientists left over after Aliester's fall from power/death. Unless the current chaos after WWIII is signalling the beginning of the eventual resolution of this story line then I suppose it might draw to close relatively quickly.

The unfortunate thing about long drawn out story lines like this is that it's all the more likely that the ending will never get animated into an Anime. Look at the Haruhi franchise for example. They have a semi-second season and a movie and now it looks like the 5+ books that came out since the release of the anime will never get animated. The timeline between how many books were out when the original anime was release way back in 06 is a bit fuzzy for me since I caught on to it rather late, but I think the franchise currently has 10 or 11 LNs that I'm aware of. This show has even more. 13+ possibly.

Given the waning popularity of the show (though I think perhaps the Railgun side stories might carry on a bit longer) a third season is likely but after that things might stall like with Haruhi and that won't be good for the anime fans.

I have cameras in your head!

Last edited by Apache Thunder; 2013-06-27 at 02:16.
Apache Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-27, 02:08   Link #542
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

I just assumed that his natural born talent allows him to shoot straight to Level 5. We weren't really told anything before that time.

Also the cloning might not have worked your way because there's no way to duplicate Mikoto's exact mental growth into every single clone. And nobody knows how accurate it would have to be.

Also don't forget, technology in Academy city gets obsolete very fast. In fifteen years level fives might be cheap.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-27, 03:25   Link #543
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Wow, you guys sure like to type a lot 0_0

He might not have a choice- Have you seen the sci-fi TV series [Fringe] ? A common sci-fi explanation for these things is that children's brains are more susceptible to changes and hence more 'potential'.

Also remember how Personal Realities work, and you can sort of see why children are more ideal.
I take offense (not really) to that comment.

Yeah, I really do talk alot... but only when I care

And yeah: generally children's brains are more susceptible to learning and are still flexible. I think there are like 5 phases of which your brain gets less flexible... ages 6, 10, 14, 18, 22 (random guesses, but i think they are close to the real ages)...
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-27, 23:48   Link #544
Lulu Vie Britania
Genderless telepath

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinFerret88 View Post
Here's a thought in regards to that matter. Say that, when you were a kid, something happened to where you became unable to use your legs. Now, again as a kid still, you learn to adapt to not having your legs, thus when you reach adult-hood you no longer need legs to function. It's the same concept really; you give a child the means to adjust to something foreign so that, come adult-hood, they have long since adapted to the adjustments to their lives where, if done to an adult, they would have to struggle harder since they lived their lives under the normal rules that had dictated how they lived their lives up until that point.

In regards to Accelerator, as a character, I personally find him like-able, though in a different way compared to Touma and Hamazura. Accelerator is someone who, subconsciously, you root for him to do the right thing and follow the path he is trying to walk. Touma and Hamazura have that feeling of someone who you can identify with to a certain extent. I mean, lets face it, if you were Hamazura you'd be more than a little bit cowardly in the presence of an Esper right? While he does have his shining moments, those feeling surface when there's something he wants to protect, like to the extent of a father or a mother who saw their child about to be hurt. It's the same thing really; its just without that motivation he's cowardly.

I could do a whole thing about Touma, but since this topic is about Accelerator; I won't.

Basically, when you look at Accelerator, I would like to believe that most would look at him and feel a bit of pity for all the struggling he went through to get to where he currently. He's constantly trying to redeem himself for the wrongs he's committed, but it's hard to change who you are when all you've known a good portion of your life is violence. So I personally don't see Accel as just a redeemer, but I see him as someone who truly wants to change himself, who wants to do good, and someone who will to do whatever it takes to ensure what little happiness he has attained is not lost. His methods may not have always been the right way, might have been centered around violence, but the fact that he did those things, reasons and methods aside, he had the best intentions and I don't find it right to judge him based on that.

The fact that he's struggling so hard to change himself is worthy of both praise and respect. He could have given up at any opportunity and just settled back into his old ways, yet he did not. He stuck through it all, driven to change who he was despite the hardships that came with trying to achieve that goal. He took the most beaten and dirty path to get where he is now, and while he has a long way to go before he can forgive himself for all the lives he has taken, he's still walking down that same path towards the same goal the entire time.

Going down that road is no easy feat; the road of redemption is a broken, beaten, bumpy path to tread down. It's that road nobody wants to walk down simply because it's too damn hard to go down. Accel knew this yet took it anyway; and for that I have nothing but the utmost respect for him.
After Aiwass's words it seemed that she hadn't ever thought Accel had been fighting in GROUP for his family. It was like she really thought he just did it only for himself. Though I could misunderstand her words. I say it because I think Accel always acted due to his own good intention and acted sincerely. I think he always wanted to do good but just thought he didn't dare to do it.
Old 2013-06-28, 21:48   Link #545
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu Vie Britania View Post
After Aiwass's words it seemed that she hadn't ever thought Accel had been fighting in GROUP for his family. It was like she really thought he just did it only for himself. Though I could misunderstand her words. I say it because I think Accel always acted due to his own good intention and acted sincerely. I think he always wanted to do good but just thought he didn't dare to do it.
Except when he was laughing maniacly killing people way back when with a voice like his Winning Voice actor
Old 2013-06-28, 23:30   Link #546
Lulu Vie Britania
Genderless telepath

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
Except when he was laughing maniacly killing people way back when with a voice like his Winning Voice actor
Jokes aside, he was doing it once to bad guys after sister's arc...
Overdid it a bit
Old 2013-06-29, 07:51   Link #547
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Jokes aside, he was doing it once to bad guys after sister's arc...
Overdid it a bit
Yeah, I was thinking of that incident/case actually. But I don't hold it against him.

Railgun S episode 12 had him acting human for crying out loud. He was showing signs of mercy to a thug and reluctance to think of the clones as humans when going about killing them. I'm not sure he's killed anyone that he thought was a human and not a doll. In a sense, this makes him a lot better than what he could be, especially given that clones are technically not recognized as beings with rights in the real world. It's curious.

I think Accel really didn't know what he was doing. Killing dolls doesn't sound that bad... I think the next 3 episodes of Railgun are going to have a lot of Accelerator character development. My favorite part of the take of Railgun S so far is that in addition to the Mikoto/Touma development I've been expecting, there's been a lot of Accelerator development beyond what was in the manga and it is handled well. When episode 15 comes around after everything with Accelerator in the Sisters Arc is finished in three weeks from now, I'll be happy to give a more detailed analysis of his personality/actions.

I feel like the Railgun S anime is going to give some really good/interesting things to talk about in terms of Accelerator's persona.
Old 2013-07-10, 07:41   Link #548
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyingbreath View Post
He is able to defeat without killing easily, he chooses to kill. He has always chosen to kill ever since he learned to control his powers. He has options other than killing and the fact that he doesn't choose them shows that he is still a psychopath at heart. He's as bad as ever with the only difference being the self righteousness he now feels when he kills.
Before he felt guilt, now he doesn't. He kind of degraded, not improved.
Railgun S episode 13 proves this is completely false. Just saying. It's obvious you misunderstand his character completely. You should watch Railgun S. It actually is doing a pretty decent job of explaining his ideals/personality SLOWLY (as seen in the light novels) compared to any other season of Index (even Index II).

It's clear that Index's vibe focused on Touma instead of Accelerator. This is why you don't really understand anything about him by seeing it. The only parts of it that shed any light are his interactions with Last Order... but these still don't explain his motivations. The most important insight gained from Index probably happens when we see him fighting
Spoiler for Index season 2 near the end:

So I can say that without reading the light novels or seeing Railgun S, you will never understand his character at all and you will be very misinformed in your impression of him. You could also watch Index III when it comes out, but that should be supplementary to LNs and Railgun S, not as a replacement in order to understand him.

All I will say is that he is probably the most complex character in Index, with the only possible exception being a person that doesn't like windows
Old 2013-07-16, 14:13   Link #549
Lulu Vie Britania
Genderless telepath

Did scientists use Level Upper on Accelerator to rise up his abilities? I know he studied and directly developed his brain with teachers so LU did nothing there, but I want to make sure of this question.
Old 2013-07-16, 16:43   Link #550
Ilidsor
Angelerator

Quote:
Did scientists use Level Upper on Accelerator to rise up his abilities? I know he studied and directly developed his brain with teachers so LU did nothing there, but I want to make sure of this question.
No he didn't.
Old 2013-07-17, 03:28   Link #551
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Depends if you are talking literally or metaphorically
Old 2013-07-17, 06:12   Link #552
Lulu Vie Britania
Genderless telepath

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
Depends if you are talking literally or metaphorically
I mean directly LU that was developed by Harumi.
Old 2013-07-17, 09:37   Link #553
Lulu Vie Britania
Genderless telepath

I've found an interesting thing in this fragment of Index manga. It seems that Accel recalls the things that he hates about his life, things that he would like to elliminate. There is a laboratory on the second picture ( I suppose) and we can see a bed with blood on it.
I doubt that it is Accelerator's blood but it brings me to the thought. Why blood is shown there? I think it is other's kid but it still bothers him.
Could Accel feel pain not outside him by attacks on him, but inside him because of problems in his body? Maybe he could feel this pain like other normal people? He is a human after all, he could have problems in his body when he was young or could have pain during the experiments inside his head. I could be wrong and I hope that I am wrong, but I wonder.
Spoiler for this.:
Old 2013-07-17, 10:01   Link #554
Ilidsor
Angelerator

^No Accelerator takes absolutely no damage. I would guess the blood is probably from some other kid that was killed at the Special Esper Dual Modification Technology Research Institute that he stayed in until he was 9.

Is that picture from his fight with Touma? Or elsewhere?
Old 2013-07-17, 10:21   Link #555
Miraluka
Banned

Look better, that guy has a tatoo on his face. Guess who?
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-17, 11:14   Link #556
Lulu Vie Britania
Genderless telepath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilidsor View Post
^No Accelerator takes absolutely no damage. I would guess the blood is probably from some other kid that was killed at the Special Esper Dual Modification Technology Research Institute that he stayed in until he was 9.

Is that picture from his fight with Touma? Or elsewhere?
Yes, it is.
Thanks for your answer, it will not ever bother me again. But I don't understand how he prevented his body from the inner pain. He has an absolute health? I think this could be the only one lucky thing he had in his life when was a child, eh. I will think how his reflection can keep his body absolutely healthy and prevents him from inner pain.
Old 2013-07-17, 12:56   Link #557
Ilidsor
Angelerator

^By inner pain do you mean emotional pain? He did, and he dealt with that by becoming what we see at the start of the series.

If you mean inner pain as in pain felt inside his body, like internal bleeding, then no. His reflection forces absolutely all force back at the attacker so nothing is left to hit him.
Old 2013-07-17, 13:13   Link #558
Lulu Vie Britania
Genderless telepath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilidsor View Post
^By inner pain do you mean emotional pain? He did, and he dealt with that by becoming what we see at the start of the series.

If you mean inner pain as in pain felt inside his body, like internal bleeding, then no. His reflection forces absolutely all force back at the attacker so nothing is left to hit him.
Yes, of course I know that, I mean just headache or pain in the heart or abdominal pain. The pain inside his body. So I've got the answer.
Old 2013-07-17, 15:12   Link #559
waffler

i have 2 questons about accelerator did his brain damage heal and is he strong enough to be lv 6 now?
waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-17, 15:24   Link #560
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffler View Post
i have 2 questons about accelerator did his brain damage heal and is he strong enough to be lv 6 now?
1. It didn't heal.
2. Even with that problem, his calculation capacity is enough to reach level 6.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote