AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-30, 12:36   Link #1821
Mei19
LOL'ing at t3h old bags

Siscons are hardcore. They shouldn't take off the tag from Brera. He's fine like that as it is. XD
Old 2009-07-30, 16:10   Link #1822
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyvereb View Post
Brea is a rather siscon protective brother)
Oh pfft. I think the feeling is mutual.

There, I said it.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-08-11, 08:32   Link #1823
Kylegoblue

Ok I had to look this siscon term up. I hope that they rewrite Ranka's relationship with Brera so they are unrelated. She deserves someone better than Alto in my opinion.
Old 2009-08-11, 11:14   Link #1824
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylegoblue View Post
Ok I had to look this siscon term up. I hope that they rewrite Ranka's relationship with Brera so they are unrelated. She deserves someone better than Alto in my opinion.
Yeah, Ranka, leave that, uh, nasty Alto to Sheryl and go after Banana!
Old 2009-08-11, 11:21   Link #1825
ippus
Pew Pew Pew!

Quote:
But making her go after yet another brother figure is kind of cheap >_>

I find it difficult pairing Ranka up with Burera since it basically implies that her perfect guy is actually just another Alto who- instead of chasing after some other girl says yes to her every whim and need.

That's just yet another invitation to stunt her character >_>
Old 2009-08-11, 11:29   Link #1826
justavisitor

if Brera and Ranka are unrelated, then how can we understand Ranka's past history?? Turn Brera into Ranka's friend from her childhood??

Nah, we need someone who can connect to Ranka's past history...Brera being Ranka's big bro is the ideal way to achieve that purpose
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
Old 2009-08-11, 11:38   Link #1827
Natsuki Hyuga
(☞゚∀゚)☞ロンパアアアア!! 

Send a message via MSN to Natsuki Hyuga
OBJECTION!!!

I want my Breran. Period. Having Brera still as Ranka's brother in the movie is going to make me rage again, because I'm left with my shipping hints.

Old 2009-08-11, 11:56   Link #1828
Foreshadow
Nyaa~

Just Turn Brother to "Brother" in the childhood friend sense
Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
if Brera and Ranka are unrelated, then how can we understand Ranka's past history?? Turn Brera into Ranka's friend from her childhood??

Nah, we need someone who can connect to Ranka's past history...Brera being Ranka's big bro is the ideal way to achieve that purpose
Theres Always Ozma.
Old 2009-08-11, 12:17   Link #1829
ippus
Pew Pew Pew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post

Actually Childhood Friend achieves about the same purpose since in anime term's it's practically "a person who acts like your sibling who is not related to you and you can totally bang"

(Hello AirGear)

Besides, the series sort of ended up feeling rather crowded by the end since she had Ozma as her adopting brother, Alto as a love interest who ACTS like a brother, and finally Brera who pops out and turns out to be her genetic brother. To remove one brother figure wouldn't be too much of a disaster if it didn't mean justifying Ranka's complete lack of character development >_>;

My dislike of Ranka has always been her total lack of awareness when it came to people important to her, and total incapability of doing things that aren't simply for the benefit of her own self interests. I don't think as a character she intends to be selfish, but her actions have always been and continued to be self absorbed to the very end >_>;

By placing Brera the "Yes everything you do is good and should be done" character as her final love interest just leaves her stuck in that depressing pithole. We need a love interest that SHE needs to be proactive about, something she wasn't capable of doing with Alto >_> otherwise she's just going to remain a reliant character who always needs to find someone who worships her from head to toe and lets her do whatever hell she wants to do regardless of morals and consequences.

She also needs to be put into situations where her unreasonable whims aren't always justified by her being right at the end of the day, like the time she argued with Ozma over her singing career which...honestly Ozma had every right to oppose at the time, but whose parenting was thwarted by Ranka's brilliant stroke of luck caused by her singing in a mall where bystanders decided to provide her with professional sounding acoustics, and allowing some scouting agent to so conveniently pass by.

Or that other time when she decided to drag her friends into a war zone to sing at an angry army mob solely for the purpose of looking good to Alto, which of course landed with her NOT being pummelled to death, which should have been the more probable result when a midget girl lands in the middle of a giant fight (lol pun) singing and acting cutesy.

Or that infamous "GOODBYE ALTO YOU HEARTLESS BASTARD, I'M LEAVING WITH BRERA TO SAVE MY ALIEN WHOSE KIND ONLY MOMENTS BEFORE SKEWERED YOUR BEST FRIEND TO DEATH!!!!" moment where everyone became dunces because, SURPRISE! despite all the meaningless slaughtering the Vajiras were good! Joke's on you Alto!

*breathe* Point is, she shouldn't be further placed in and paired with characters and situations where she's inevitably just going to do whatever hell she wants while being rewarded for doing so. If Brera was a character that had some sort of self-control I wouldn't have minded, but the fact is his mindset is disturbingly like Ranka's =____________=

*whacks slutbot*

He lives in a bubble, and kind of wants Ranka to do the same, and it's just bad since the root of a lot of Ranka's character flaws is her inability to empathize >___>;
Old 2009-08-11, 13:31   Link #1830
justavisitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ippus View Post
Actually Childhood Friend achieves about the same purpose since in anime term's it's practically "a person who acts like your sibling who is not related to you and you can totally bang"

(Hello AirGear)

Hmm...I thought Ranka would be too young to have "a person who acts like your sibling who is not related to you and you can totally bang" at that age...well I haven't seen a lot of other animes but I think at that age Ranka would be closer to her brother...and Ozma doesn't know anything about Ranka's past

Besides, we need love triangle at macross..it's a tradition

And I probably won't reply to your analysis about Ranka in your post lol..but I will let you know that I don't agree with your viewpoints at all

(I probably have replied those viewpoints in my old posts already XD)
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
Old 2009-08-11, 15:57   Link #1831
Kylegoblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Yeah, Ranka, leave that, uh, nasty Alto to Sheryl and go after Banana!
LOL even though we're in different camps you're still one of my fav's Mag
Old 2009-08-11, 16:03   Link #1832
Kylegoblue

Quote:
But making her go after yet another brother figure is kind of cheap >_>

I find it difficult pairing Ranka up with Burera since it basically implies that her perfect guy is actually just another Alto who- instead of chasing after some other girl says yes to her every whim and need.

That's just yet another invitation to stunt her character >_>
Meh, she's still just a kid really so I saw her obsession(?) with Alto as a schoolgirl crush. It'd be great to see her as an older more mature individual. I think hooking her up with the "perfect guy" would stunt her development even more. Anytime a pair in a story falls in love the story has to end, one of them must be killed, or a rival has to enter the picture so the audience doesn't get bored with them. A flawed relationship allows for more adventures

Anyway, I like her character not in spite of her flaws but because of them. Does she go off half-cocked with a crazy plan only needing to be rescued? Yep, but a lot of teenagers likely would. Since I'm wayyy to old to have crushes on teenage girls (even animated ones) I like Ranka because she'd be a fun little sister.
Old 2009-08-11, 16:30   Link #1833
magnuskn

Quote:
LOL even though we're in different camps you're still one of my fav's Mag
From your post above it doesnīt seem we are in such different camps at all. As long as no discussion about Rankas flaws starts, that is...
Old 2009-08-11, 16:43   Link #1834
Kylegoblue

Quote:
From your post above it doesnīt seem we are in such different camps at all. As long as no discussion about Rankas flaws starts, that is...
Ya well that's just because I haven't made my way to the Sheryl thread yet
Old 2009-08-11, 17:23   Link #1835
magnuskn

Quote:
Ya well that's just because I haven't made my way to the Sheryl thread yet
Hurry up, Iīll be on vacation come Monday for the next 3 1/2 weeks. If I need to pummel you into submission, I canīt do it from Paraguay.

Quote:
Or that other time when she decided to drag her friends into a war zone to sing at an angry army mob solely for the purpose of looking good to Alto, which of course landed with her NOT being pummelled to death, which should have been the more probable result when a midget girl lands in the middle of a giant fight (lol pun) singing and acting cutesy.
Just wanted to say that even for me this interpretation is a bit too harsh. Ranka certainly did not fly to Gallia IV only to look good for Alto, she went there to save him ( and Sheryl, incidentally or not ).
Old 2009-08-11, 17:40   Link #1836
Kylegoblue

Nah I won't be doing that. I don't hate Sheryl, I don't even dislike her. I like most of the characters on the show actually. Just some more than others. And even then only slightly. I felt most of the main characters were less than idea at one point or another. Except for Klan
Old 2009-08-11, 18:13   Link #1837
magnuskn

Quote:
Nah I won't be doing that. I don't hate Sheryl, I don't even dislike her. I like most of the characters on the show actually. Just some more than others. And even then only slightly. I felt most of the main characters were less than idea at one point or another. Except for Klan
Fair enough. Although Sheryl and Alto are extra good protagonists, in my book.
Old 2009-08-12, 02:01   Link #1838
ippus
Pew Pew Pew!

@magnus: Er no.
Her numbaa wan priority was to wish him happy birthday.

I'm not saying this to make her sound negative, but rather in macross world, something so ridiculous for some reason is considered natural (to still be thinking about someone's birthday when the planet is going kaput)

Once there she didn't even visit Sheryl, or at least the director never thought it important for her to seemingly do so, so to believe Sheryl had anything to do with it is kinda laughable.

@Kylegoblue: I don't disagree with you.

But the fact is, every single time she's been rewarded for her "go[ing] off half-cocked with a crazy plan". In fact many of the time, she really ends up needing to be rescued when she's NOT committing some ridiculous plan that has no logical basis. The only time she did get into big doodoo over doing something retarded was the finale >_> and even then being caught wasn't exactly something "bad" seeing as it lead way to all her memories, gave her vajira STD moving powers, Alto came as a knight on a white VF, and she got to sing to the whole universe, while everyone patted her head and go "Who's the good girl? You are."

Teenagers are meant to do retarded things. Anime/cartoons may or may not make them exceedingly lucky about it, but at the same time events are meant to be followed by consequences, even if it's some halfassed "I scold you in a way that makes you not fear me and do it again".

Ranka is met with...absolutely no consequences. Ever.
Old 2009-08-12, 02:41   Link #1839
magnuskn

Quote:
@magnus: Er no.
Her numbaa wan priority was to wish him happy birthday.

I'm not saying this to make her sound negative, but rather in macross world, something so ridiculous for some reason is considered natural (to still be thinking about someone's birthday when the planet is going kaput)

Once there she didn't even visit Sheryl, or at least the director never thought it important for her to seemingly do so, so to believe Sheryl had anything to do with it is kinda laughable.
C'mon. I just watched the episode, this is nowhere near what happened. Ranka went there to do something about Alto ( and the others ) being taken hostage by the Zentraedi. That she then put forward that "bringing Alto his birthday present" stuff can easily attributed to her being embarassed to tell him about her real feelings.

Do you honestly think Ozma would have let her go to Gallia IV if her explanation would have been that she wanted to bring Alto his birthday present? Really?

Iīm with you on the point that she never showed any concern for Sheryl in the whole deal, but trivializing her reason to go into "she only wanted to bring him his birthday present" is really a bit much. You canīt take things like this too literal.

Quote:
Ranka is met with...absolutely no consequences. Ever.
Yeah, that is one of the things that bugs me about her, as well. She is a very mild case of a Karma Houdini, although she doesnīt notice that her actions are so self-centered. But it bugs the hell out of me that she never got called on that, besides once very early in the series, by Michael.

It is that lack of introspection which ultimately makes her into a flawed character. Maybe it would be easier to give her a pass if the two other mains wouldnīt have been visibly able to recognize the flaws in themselves. But seeing how Sheryl and Alto did grapple with their flaws and superated them, it is a bit galling that Ranka overcoming her timidity is the whole extent of character development we got for her. At least one moment of her admitting to herself that her actions brought a lot of pain ( and death ) to others would have done a world of good.
Old 2009-08-12, 03:16   Link #1840
Snowblind
Professional Lurker

Quote:
At least one moment of her admitting to herself that her actions brought a lot of pain ( and death ) to others would have done a world of good.
'Scuse me... Before everyone jumps on the Ranka bashing wagon again... Where did her actions bring pain and death any more than many other characters in the series? O.o List please.
Closed Thread