Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-08-21, 19:46   Link #21
yellowkaiq
~Chrno + Rosette~

Send a message via AIM to yellowkaiq
hmm

1. Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien - You get screwed into thinking it's a comedy, when the tragedy hits. Freakin awesome romance anime. If you watch any romance anime, this is the one that'll make all the other ones look like crap.

2. Chrno Crusade - I loved it.

3. Gungrave - Excluding the first episode, which i thought wasn't that unnecessary, amazing. Amazing storyline and animation as well.

4. Trigun - old, but a classic that you can't miss.

5. Shakugan no Shana - A well done anime that makes me laugh a whole lot.

Youtube.com/timelesstroll - Check me out!
Old 2006-08-21, 20:32   Link #22
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog

You're probably safe watching most of these, in my opinion, but I've found that I'm much more discriminating now than I was when I first began watching anime. I didn't have as much access to anime then, though.

I suggest watching Mushishi, and then not wasting your time with anything that isn't at least in the same ballpark quality-wise.
Old 2006-08-21, 21:04   Link #23
myopius

Assuming you're still reading this, considering how many people have posted:

There are many shoujo anime I've watched which have given me relevant insights into things which I've enjoyed. The same with a few shounen.

It's difficult to say which one is most significant, though. If Kare Kano had gone on to cover more of the manga, I think it might've been. Same for Fruits Basket. If you were wanting to recommend manga, I would recommend those.

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu is one I really enjoyed but I'm not sure if just anyone who watched it would realize just how meaningful it is, and I didn't get a feeling from it like I did from Fruits Basket and Kare Kano. I enjoyed Naruto, but only if the entire series was as meaningful as the Sasuke arc would it have been something that would've really affected me.

I think that Honey & Clover could very possibly be that kind of anime, however. However... I have to see how this 13-episode series ends before I can make that determination. The first season didn't suffice in itself, since there were so many loose ends, but it just does an amazing job along the way, that if they can wrap it up on an exciting and innovative note.... Since the characters aren't too amazingly built up, just the interactions between the characters are what's amazing. The entirety of Honey & Clover is like a series of beautiful surprises.

By the way, Honey & Clover is different than the others ones I listed in that, while the others ones are incredible in that they provide you with an artistic feeling that makes everything else seem meaningless in comparison, thus ruining your experience, H&C will ruin your experience because all other romance seems cliched (of course, I still enjoy the typical cliche, since hidden romance slowly but surely established appeals to me and isn't something H&C has done--they've been very straightforward with their romances, and have made love out to be something that doesn't relate to the identities of those in love but rather exists only within that feeling of love, and that's an excellent way of approaching it when it's done well but I think the other kind is more significant).

You're very possibly someone who doesn't like shoujo, of course, since the most romance-like thing you put on there was Fumoffu (I think), but that's my personal opinion. The genre of anime to me exists to provide me with meaningful themes that I can't find anywhere else, and the themes in the animes I've mentioned are the most meaningful I know, but you may have a very different "meaning", or perhaps you aren't abstract in what you value in anime.

Kareshi no Konojo (His & Her Circumstances) http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.p...=anime&aid=199
Furuba (Fruits Basket) http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.p...nonav=1&aid=34
Honey & Clover http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.p...anime&aid=2835 . Just to say, the description is pretty bland in fact wrong since only 2 people fall in love with her.
Old 2006-08-21, 21:19   Link #24
DarkPaladin56
Wandering Typesetter

A list of animes that left me in an anime slump:
Monster
Hajime no Ippo
The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi
Great Teacher Onizuka
Samurai Champloo
Shakugan no Shana
Full Metal Panic! TSR and Fumoffu
Old 2006-08-21, 21:50   Link #25
Aquillion

Tsk. I'm going to mention Kino's Journey here just because not having it mentioned in this thread would be criminal... but I don't know about "ruining your future experience" or whatever. It's original, thoughtful, and has a unique animation style, sure, but I don't think that's what really ruins things.

The shows that will ruin your experience generally don't do so because they're good, but because there are so many generically similar shows out there that seeing one is enough to make all the others boring. Many of the shows people have listed in this thread as what they consider the best become fairly dull if you've already seen enough with the same basic premise. That doesn't mean that they're bad, and indeed many of the ones I'll list below are quite good, but after a certain point the similarities begin to wear on most people. You can only see so many, say, young female leads with ultimate power concealed within them unleash it dramatically while promising to never forgive someone before this begins to get old.
Old 2006-08-22, 11:01   Link #26
obentou
Maximum7/Ossu

I can relate to that slumpy feeling. After you've watched a great series, you just want more good stuff... but there's only a handful out there.

Bleach, Naruto (minus the fillers)
Great Teacher Onizuka
Hajime no Ippo
Full Metal Alchemist
Full Metal Panic, FMP: Fumoffu, FMP: The Second Raid
Gundam Seed
Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien
Monster
Slam DUNK!
Hikaru no Go
Gungrave
Trigun
Cowboy Bebop
Fate/Stay Night

Just to name a couple that were great and lasted in my memory.
Old 2006-08-22, 12:20   Link #27
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
suzumiya haruhi ~ its soo unique its scary
Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien ~ if you have a soft spot for romance it will make you feel different (good or bad way)

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2006-08-23, 01:09   Link #28
Shinoto
Rollin' Like A Boss

Great Teacher Onizuka...Even with the rushed ending, It still a great series
Ouran High School Host...It just ruins everything for all other harlem type animes since it just uses all the cliches and makes fun of it^^
Twelve Kingdoms...Such a great written story and still not done...It just leaves you wanting more
Old 2006-08-23, 02:02   Link #29
Alex Ikari
Berserk Knight

Fate/Stay Night - Awesome combat

Full Metal Panic - Nice mix of mecha/romance/comedy

Shakugan no Shana - Honestly, everything a good Anime should be

Shingetsutan Tsukihime - The first Anime I downloaded and I'll always love it

Zero no Tsukaima - Only seen 7 out of the 13 episodes but it's been great so far, the interaction reminds me a lot of Shakugan no Shana (probably because the 2 main voice actors are the same )

Final Approach - Classic harem with cute girls and good comedy

Zoids: New Century Zero - Hilarious, with awesome combat, the last fight between the Liger Zero and the Berserk Fury are one of my favorite battles of all time

SoulTaker - Haha I honestly don't know why, I just love it

08TH MS TEAM - Without a doubt one of the top 3 Gundam series, great romance

FLCL - No explanation needed

Neon Genesis Evangelion - Classic, unfortunately I've only seen the dubbed version with it's horrible voice actors

Gundam Wing - I think this was the first Anime that I ever watched, still one of the best Gundam series

Da Capo Season 1 & 2 - All the goodness of Shuffle! but less dullness, and nudity. Season 1's animation was a bit poor but Season 2 fixed that perfectly
Old 2006-08-24, 11:17   Link #30
Theowne
耳をすませば

Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien and Honey and Clover, basically. Maybe Saikano too.

To the guy talking about Naruto. I can see where you're coming from. Though I think it's gotten kind of lame after the first few dozen episodes, scenes like the "death" in ep 16 or the death of the villains in ep 19, jeez they sure affected me, even it is just a shounen action show.....

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2006-08-24, 12:47   Link #31
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Try watching Elemental Gelade (Erementar Gerad in Japanese). It's quite interesting. The anime is licensed btw. If you'd like a little change of pace then watch Kannazuki no Miko (licensed) and Strawberry Panic. Both are yuri animes but the story is really good.
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Old 2006-08-25, 06:35   Link #32
DraGnaR

Send a message via MSN to DraGnaR Send a message via Yahoo to DraGnaR
yea trust all
DOONT WATCH chobits
This anime is so damn good
it got me hooked
and i still cant fucking find a anime that,s better ore as good as chobits
watched this show 12 x ........

Kimagure Orange Road
is oke one of the anime,s i realy liked
DOONT ASK ME WHY :P

Twelve Kingdoms
OMG this anime is so aaaaaaa i want more !!!!!

PLZ GIMME MORE MORE SWEET MORE ANIME !!!!!!!
Old 2006-09-23, 04:11   Link #33
nst_silver
The 1000th summer

the ONLY one that actually changed the way i looked at anime is AIR.
Old 2006-09-24, 09:05   Link #34
andromeda0201

Juuni Kokki - as mentioned above, so well done no other can match in the epic genre

Fantastic Children - this thought me not to judge an anime by its drawings, again another awesome story

Full Metal Panic - Sagara and Chidori are the most amusing anime pair I've come across

Full Metal Alchemist - such an addictive anime it left me yearning for more
Closed Thread