AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2008-10-09, 09:42   Link #121
Amray

I used to practise Jeet Kune Do and was the best in my class. When I had to leave the academy my teacher was extremely gutted and kept asking whether I was really sure that I had too. He really missed me afterwards and mentioned me a couple of times after leaving. I am a fast learner you see. Sometimes I felt like I should have stayed and trained, I would have loved to in fact. It was quite a great experience for me too. My teacher had also met Bruce Lee's elder trainer. I trained in the very room that he has stood in once before to greet my teacher whom was the head of a successful academy.

'twas an amazing and quite simple fighting style to learn though.
Amray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-10, 01:34   Link #122
Creater
Banned

I practice boxing and very little Muay thai. Is Boxing good to train in ?
Creater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-10, 06:16   Link #123
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
any martial arts is fundamentally good for you. it improves your fitness and confidence in yourself.

whether they are effective in a self-defence situation is entirely a different matter and it is a matter of personal opinion and personal experience.

If you are comfortable with boxing, then take it.

If you don't, or you find you have difficulty with the style or training, change it.

Just understand the reasons you take martial arts.

Self-defence? Confidence? Fitness? Spiritual completeness?

Think about it.

As for myself, i take Wing Tsun.

The original form.

I like the fluid dynamic of the combined defence and attack principle.

I enjoy the spiritual aspects too, as it express the philosophy of Ying & Yang of Taoism.

and science, for every action there is an equal opposite force.

Avoid the "corridor of death", go for the "outside gate"

Tackle every problem not head on but at an angle, where it's leased expected.

Old 2008-10-10, 21:59   Link #124
Creater
Banned

Ahhh yes. I agree with you. It is alot of hard work though. And for me in Boxing I like the challenge you get from it. Any sort of challenge I think.
Creater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-10, 22:16   Link #125
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

I've had very indepth training in many forms of combat/martial arts over the years and its always been a fun recreational activity. I'm trained in Kickboxing, Boxing, Tae Kwon Do and Jujutsu. I was a black belt in Tae Kwon Do before leaving. Now I do mostly personal/independent training. I've also self taught myself a variety of grappling manuevers, mostly of the wrestling variety.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-24, 10:19   Link #126
velvet nightmare

didnt want to make a new thread just to ask a question but:

is it worth it to do weight lifting every day if you can afford the time?

here are some considerations:

-i've done martial arts training for 12 years before i stopped for university and now do weight lifting so i know the limits of my body
-my typical weight lifting sessions last ~1 hour
-so far i've been using the cookie cutter approach to lifting, ie lift every other day, leaving rest in between
-reason i post in this particular thread is b/c it seems that most professionals, especially in combat sports seem to workout every day of the week multiple times a day, so is it worth it for me who is looking to improve performance to increase exercising to every day of the week?
velvet nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-09, 07:00   Link #127
Luna91

Hey Guys,
I've been wanting to take some self-defense classes for a while because i thought it was about time, they look fun (aka hard ), are good excercise and obviously are very useful. I was wondering what kind of martial arts people would recommend to try for a beginner like me, which focuses on self-defense. I was thinking of doing tae kown do, but i'm not sure.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated
Old 2010-09-09, 12:07   Link #128
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna91 View Post
Hey Guys,
I've been wanting to take some self-defense classes for a while because i thought it was about time, they look fun (aka hard ), are good excercise and obviously are very useful. I was wondering what kind of martial arts people would recommend to try for a beginner like me, which focuses on self-defense. I was thinking of doing tae kown do, but i'm not sure.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated
If you just want some basic self-defense, then I would suggest boxing or kickboxing. If you want something with a culture and tradition behind it, any of the popular Asian disciplines can work. Though I would caution against tae kwan do for defense purpose, yes being able to kick well can get you out of most situations but it is a rather limited and inefficient approach.

Also, most boxing gyms now offer mixed martial arts classes. The one at my gym is rather intense, but it encompasses everything.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-09, 12:12   Link #129
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aikido is an excellent practical art, especially if mixed in with other arts. Most of the arts have 'classical' moves that would get you toasted in an actual self-defense situation (e.g. street fight, bar brawl, etc) so be aware of that and preferably have an instructor who knows the difference.

You should have the primary goal of fitness, mind, and grace/coordination. Any practical self-defense improvement is secondary. Try to avoid *most* "American karate" like the plague, they often fail on the second and third goals.
Old 2010-09-09, 12:54   Link #130
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
For self defence, I favor grappling styles such as Judo or Jiu Jitsu because 90% of cases, actual fights will end up on the ground. That's why I find Judo extremely effective because you learn how to turn one's strength against them. A throw can also be pretty damaging and could leave someone winded if they land on hard ground rather than a mat. It never hurts to take kickboxing on top of that so that you can be prepared for any other contingency as well. I also favor the training of Judo and Jiu Jitsu because the training involves quite a lot of sparring, which teaches you how much force you need to apply in case you end up in a real combat situation.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-09, 15:55   Link #131
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko Takeo View Post
For self defence, I favor grappling styles such as Judo or Jiu Jitsu because 90% of cases, actual fights will end up on the ground. That's why I find Judo extremely effective because you learn how to turn one's strength against them. A throw can also be pretty damaging and could leave someone winded if they land on hard ground rather than a mat. It never hurts to take kickboxing on top of that so that you can be prepared for any other contingency as well. I also favor the training of Judo and Jiu Jitsu because the training involves quite a lot of sparring, which teaches you how much force you need to apply in case you end up in a real combat situation.
Agreed, those are the other two 'practical' arts I had in mind... but forgot to type them, bleh. And yeah... training with sparring is Good.
Old 2010-09-09, 16:22   Link #132
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Agreed, those are the other two 'practical' arts I had in mind... but forgot to type them, bleh. And yeah... training with sparring is Good.
Precisely why I've decided to start Judo again once I begin my new job It's my absolute favorite style because of the reasons I've stated. I also like it because the techniques are very streamlined and don't contain all the complex techniques of Jiu Jutsu or Jiu Jitsu. It's also been proven very effective. Japanese police trains in Judo because it has been proven effectively against the original Ju Jutsu and out on the streets.
Old 2010-09-09, 17:47   Link #133
Dragonar Fan
HI-RISE BOMBEERRR!!!

I've taken Naginatajutsu ,Judo & I also know how to fight with a bayonet (I even made a custom one for a 20 gauge) , but i think im a bit rusty now......
Old 2010-09-09, 17:56   Link #134
Luna91

Thanks for the ideas guys
Aikido, Jiu Jitsu and Judo all sound good, i have no idea what I want to try. maybe i'll just start doing kickboxing and do some of the other ones later, possibly Judo? The only one i know i don't want to do is karate
Old 2010-09-09, 17:59   Link #135
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
I'm learning Judo at one of the off-school classes I take, I really do favor Judo for the reasons you described
Old 2010-09-09, 18:00   Link #136
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Thanks for the ideas guys
Aikido, Jiu Jitsu and Judo all sound good, i have no idea what I want to try. maybe i'll just start doing kickboxing and then get recommended to one of these later. The only one i know i don't want to do is karate
Yeah, Karate isn't good. Unless you're talking about Goju Ryu Karate, the original Karate style from Okinawa. That's some pretty intensive stuff, but the style is generally full of openings. That's why most serious Karateka also learn Judo and other grappling techniques to prepare for other situations. I took a class in Goju Ryu once and I couldn't move my legs the next day.
Old 2010-09-09, 18:04   Link #137
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist

Me myself I would go for kickboxing if I was you I don't know whether it is just my class but it encompasses a lot of different scenarios and techniques to get you through most things, like in my class we practice suprise attacks, being attacked when you're not prepared, grapples, weapons etc..., seems to focus more on real life situations like brawls, back-to-back, bars etc...

Also quite a lot of sparring is involved so it helps you practice fighting with other people, I find my kickboxing class pretty fun, it isn't too formal but we still have a certain level of discipline, everyone is friendly and helps each other and I come home feeling good even when I have bruises

We are DOLLARS, credit for sig goes to CMHerrera-chan
Cub-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-09, 18:06   Link #138
Luna91

Quote:
Yeah, Karate isn't good. Unless you're talking about Goju Ryu Karate, the original Karate style from Okinawa. That's some pretty intensive stuff, but the style is generally full of openings. That's why most serious Karateka also learn Judo and other grappling techniques to prepare for other situations. I took a class in Goju Ryu once and I couldn't move my legs the next day.
Goju Ryu Karate? I just looked it up in my yellow pages, apparently it's too awesome for my little town Oh well, Judo sounds like its the most practical (from the slightly bias view of an apparent Judo enthusiast ) so I might give that a try later on. Thanks for the help
Old 2010-09-09, 18:09   Link #139
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Goju Ryu Karate? I just looked it up in my yellow pages, apparently it's too awesome for my little town Oh well, Judo sounds like its the most practical (from the slightly bias view of an apparent Judo enthusiast ) so I might give that a try later on. Thanks for the help
Judo enthusiast I may be, but at the same time I believe other styles could be more useful for other situations. For instance, Aikido prepares you better against foes with weapons, and Bujinkan Budo is even better than Aikido in that respect, but it's a LOT harder to come by a proper Bujinkan dojo.
Old 2010-09-09, 18:09   Link #140
Luna91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub-Sama View Post
Me myself I would go for kickboxing if I was you I don't know whether it is just my class but it encompasses a lot of different scenarios and techniques to get you through most things, like in my class we practice suprise attacks, being attacked when you're not prepared, grapples, weapons etc..., seems to focus more on real life situations like brawls, back-to-back, bars etc...

Also quite a lot of sparring is involved so it helps you practice fighting with other people, I find my kickboxing class pretty fun, it isn't too formal but we still have a certain level of discipline, everyone is friendly and helps each other and I come home feeling good even when I have bruises
That sounds really good. Kick boxing sounds good for basic skills, I guess its a good thing to try first.