AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-10-25, 15:27   Link #1
amjzz

Eh...fonts problem maybe?.

I have the japanese/asiatic/foreing package for windows languages on my pc.

However when i open the text file still appears weird signs:

But when open other different text it appers like this:

I think that have installed all the foreing packages from windows cd on my pc, but when open some text files from japanese/foreing programs it appear the weird text.

Isn't supposed to appear japanese characters like in the third image instead of weird language?.

Um...im not sure if anyone could understand what i tryed to say...
amjzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-25, 18:13   Link #2
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Are you trying to open this in Notepad? Try opening it in Wordpad and see if there's a difference. What I think needs to be done is that you need to change the encoding settings - it's probably set to Auto or Western (if I remember right Notepad does have this setting). Set it to one of the Japanese options, and if that doesn't fully help then you can try some of the other Japanese encode settings. I'm not on Windows at the moment so I can't guide you through it, but just dig through the menus and see if you can find something resembling that.

Another possibility is that the file you have isn't really in Japanese.
Old 2008-10-25, 19:26   Link #3
amjzz

Yes, im using the notepad, and opened also with the wordpad. However it didnt changed.

Im sure the text is in japanese (the text i opened is from a japanese game), but the text remainds the same. I dont know how to change the encoding settings.
Old 2008-10-25, 23:37   Link #4
bayoab

This is a difference between how the two files are saved. One is Japanese characters stored in UTF and saved in UTF or something else that can store Japanese characters. The other is saved in (what is probably) Shift-jis/UTF-8 and saved in iso-8859 (or similar).

You need to find a program that will allow you to go between encodings like Njstar, open the file with applocale, or change all of your regional settings to Japanese.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-26, 13:02   Link #5
amjzz

Um...applocale can't open it.

If i open it with microsoft word then i can see japanese characters, however when want to save it as a .txt file it changes again to those strange weird simbols.
Old 2008-10-26, 20:55   Link #6
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Asian package? You just need windows's native support.

It's easy to check if you have it: Control Panel » Region and Language » Languages (you should have those two check boxes on)
If you don't you can check them now and it will prompt you for the windows cd to install them.

When you create a text file in notepad you'll still have to change the encoding to anything else other then ASCII (by going Save as... and where it says ASCII select unicode or some other option) but if you do that you can open/close the file and you'll see the kanji just fine.
Old 2008-10-27, 02:34   Link #7
cyberbeing

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjzz View Post
Um...applocale can't open it.
Requirement:
Make sure you have East Asian Languages installed in Regional and Language Options like Cats said.

Option 1:
Open Notepad with AppLocale set to Japanese 日本語.
Open the Japanese txt file.
It will now show Japanese in the ASCII encoded file.
Optionally, save the Japanese txt file as UTF-8 so Notepad w/o using AppLocale can see the Japanese.

Option 2:
In Regional and Language Options set your Language for non-Unicode Programs to Japanese.
Reboot.
Notepad will now be able to see see Japanese in ASCII encoded files by default.

Option 3:
Open the txt file something like Word or Emeditor (that can open files with non-default ASCII codesets) with the Shift-JIS codeset.
Proceed to save to file as UTF-8 so Notepad w/o using AppLocale can see the Japanese.

Option 4:
Open Japanese txt file with MOJICOCO and convert to UTF-8 so Notepad w/o using AppLocale can see the Japanese.