AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Science & Technology

Notices

Old 2012-10-10, 15:25   Link #1281
Jaieni

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
You can't exactly replace brain cells without forgoing their original neural connections.
The awesome thing about the brain is that, if you were to put new brain cells on/in (whatever the word is) the brain the existing cells and the new cells would create new neural pathways.While I don't see this used as a way to replace a brain that had large chunks of it damaged, it can be used as a long time therapy to keep the brain happy and healthy.

I'm guessing that by the end of this century, if we don't blow ourselves up, we'll have enough understanding of biology, medicine, robotics, etc to extend our lives to hundreds of years instead of only decades. By then, hopefully, we'll have the capability to travel within the inner solar system so we don't have a huge population problem.
Jaieni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-10, 15:29   Link #1282
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaieni View Post
The awesome thing about the brain is that, if you were to put new brain cells on/in (whatever the word is) the brain the existing cells and the new cells would create new neural pathways.While I don't see this used as a way to replace a brain that had large chunks of it damaged, it can be used as a long time therapy to keep the brain happy and healthy.
That line is disturbing me. I seriously hope you are not talking about this.

Quote:
I'm guessing that by the end of this century, if we don't blow ourselves up, we'll have enough understanding of biology, medicine, robotics, etc to extend our lives to hundreds of years instead of only decades. By then, hopefully, we'll have the capability to travel within the inner solar system so we don't have a huge population problem.
I want a reverse aging medicine so I can be part of a colonisation fleet. 1-10 male-female ratio and all the females are below the age of 18 - *gets vaporised by a plasma cannon*

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-10, 15:37   Link #1283
Jaieni

Quote:
That line is disturbing me. I seriously hope you are not talking about this.
I'm not.
Jaieni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-10, 15:47   Link #1284
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
I want a reverse aging medicine so I can be part of a colonisation fleet. 1-10 male-female ratio and all the females are below the age of 18 - *gets vaporised by a plasma cannon*
Well, when we consider that much breeding will be needed once the colonisation commences, and men will be needed to do prodigious ... ahem, service, then we'll have to be sure to select female participants for visual attractiveness, in addition to fertility.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-10, 15:47   Link #1285
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

MIT pencils in carbon nanotube gas sensor that's cheaper, less hazardous

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Quote:
Carbon nanotube-based sensors are good at sniffing out all kinds of things, but applying the cylindrical molecules to a substrate has traditionally been a dangerous and unreliable process. Now, researchers at MIT have found a way to avoid the hazardous solvents that are currently used, by compressing commercially available nanotube powders into a pencil lead-shaped material. That allowed them to sketch the material directly onto paper imprinted with gold electrodes (as shown above), then measure the current flowing through the resisting carbon nanotubes -- allowing detection of any gases that stick to the material. It works even if the marks aren't uniform, according to the team, and the tech would open up new avenues to cheaper sensors that would be particularly adroit at detecting rotten fruit or natural gas leaks. For more info, sniff out the video after the break.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=kWTrZxt4j50

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-10, 18:59   Link #1286
AnimeFan188

Is lightspeed really a limit?:

"We don’t (yet) have any way to test this, but University of Adelaide applied
mathematicians are suggesting that an extended version of Einstein’s Theory of
Special Relativity also holds true for velocities beyond lightspeed.

One of the main predictions of Special Relativity is that the speed of light is
treated as an absolute cosmic speed limit, the line which can never be crossed;
and even the notorious “faster-than-light neutrino” incident in 2011 has left the
theory intact as one of the most robust in physics.

However, during the speculation that surrounded the neutrino discussion last
year1, the University of Adelaide’s Professor Jim Hill and Dr Barry Cox considered
the question of how the mathematical contradictions posed by a faster-than-light
particle could be aligned with Special Relativity.

Their solution, which Professor Hill discussed with The Register,2 rested on
ignoring the speed of light’s status as an absolute limit, and instead, using the
information where the relative velocity of two observers is infinite.3."

See:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/10...y_mathematics/
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-10, 22:36   Link #1287
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
I'd think that's quite possible, actually.

The catch is, chances are good that they'll all be Sumeragi clones.

Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-12, 03:05   Link #1288
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Astronomers find diamond planet nearby

Quote:
Twinkling stars are not the only diamonds in the sky. Scientists reported Thursday the existence of a "diamond planet" twice the size of Earth and eight times its mass, zooming around a nearby star.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-12, 05:14   Link #1289
Rahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
I was certain it was old news, but apparently, they just found it ?
I am certain I read something about this some time ago. This shit is actually scaring me.

EDIT : okay, took the time to do some google :
Diamond / carbon planets are easily explainable (see this) and quoting that article : The unconfirmed planet PSR J1719-1438 b, discovered on August 25, 2011, as well as the planet 55 Cancri e, could be such planets. I read the articles about the planet found last year. 55 Cancri e is the planet the medias are currently talking about.

Last edited by Rahan; 2012-10-12 at 05:48.
Rahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-12, 16:08   Link #1290
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Bill Nye Needs You to Help Save Planetary Exploration

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Quote:
Bill Nye needs your help! We're writing the President of the United States, asking him to restore the funding cuts to NASA's planetary exploration program. Learn more and write your own letter at: http://planetary.org/SOS

Old 2012-10-14, 21:49   Link #1291
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
Is lightspeed really a limit?:

"We don’t (yet) have any way to test this, but University of Adelaide applied
mathematicians are suggesting that an extended version of Einstein’s Theory of
Special Relativity also holds true for velocities beyond lightspeed.

One of the main predictions of Special Relativity is that the speed of light is
treated as an absolute cosmic speed limit, the line which can never be crossed;
and even the notorious “faster-than-light neutrino” incident in 2011 has left the
theory intact as one of the most robust in physics.

However, during the speculation that surrounded the neutrino discussion last
year1, the University of Adelaide’s Professor Jim Hill and Dr Barry Cox considered
the question of how the mathematical contradictions posed by a faster-than-light
particle could be aligned with Special Relativity.

Their solution, which Professor Hill discussed with The Register,2 rested on
ignoring the speed of light’s status as an absolute limit, and instead, using the
information where the relative velocity of two observers is infinite.3."

See:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/10...y_mathematics/
I think I need someone BESIDES the Register trying to explain the mathematics they're dancing with (off to research).
Old 2012-10-14, 21:57   Link #1292
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

They seem to be leading in a direction to where it might be possible to break lightspeed (one way or another) in say 50 years? Hopefully less from my point of view. Retirement (assuming I get a job I can retire from) would be nice to go to deep space or at least somewhere in the solar system for sightseeing.

Making the solar system a smaller place might be a way to make Earth even smaller in terms of the things that keep our species fighting itself for millenia. It won't end such things, but it might mitigate some of the resource issues and lead to potental industry (therefor jobs).

(Star Trek being "correct", from a certain point of view, would be very interesting).
Old 2012-10-16, 06:30   Link #1293
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Planet with four suns discovered by volunteers

Quote:
Astronomers have found a planet whose skies are illuminated by four different suns - the first known of its type.

The distant world orbits one pair of stars which have a second stellar pair revolving around them.

The discovery was made by volunteers using the Planethunters.org website along with a team from UK and US institutes; follow-up observations were made with the Keck Observatory.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19950923

Old 2012-10-16, 08:13   Link #1294
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Guys, we have found Tatooine.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-16, 08:25   Link #1295
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Guys, we have found Tatooine.
Tatooine has only 2 suns.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-16, 09:48   Link #1296
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I think I need someone BESIDES the Register trying to explain the mathematics they're dancing with (off to research).
From what I've read, it's not so much that they're trying to prove that the speed of light can be broken, but rather trying to show what it would be like if it was. The whole thing is more of an exercise in theoretical math than actual physics.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-16, 18:44   Link #1297
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
From what I've read, it's not so much that they're trying to prove that the speed of light can be broken, but rather trying to show what it would be like if it was. The whole thing is more of an exercise in theoretical math than actual physics.
By doing this they can sidestep criticism of any findings they come up with because it wouldn't directly challenge Relativity.

I'm sure it's possible that things can travel faster than light, but it's all theoretical until we come up with something that can go faster than a tenth of the speed. To be honest I'd rather see heavier research on creating engines that can generate and harness the kind of power needed for serious space travel to begin with. It's like robotics - we just don't have the energy revolution required for advanced independent mechanisms. We're still very much the equivalent of cavemen who need lightning to get fire.
Old 2012-10-16, 18:51   Link #1298
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

"Stone knives and bear skins."
Old 2012-10-16, 23:59   Link #1299
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Alien planet at Alpha Centauri closest ever found to Earth

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/49439505...science-space/

Quote:
The star system closest to our own sun hosts a planet with roughly Earth's mass and may harbor other alien worlds as well, a new study reports.

Astronomers detected the alien planet around the sunlike star Alpha Centauri B, which is part of a three-star system just 4.3 light-years away from us. The newfound world is about as massive as Earth, but it's no Earth twin; its heat-blasted surface may be covered with molten rock, researchers said.

The mere existence of the planet, known as Alpha Centauri Bb, suggests that undiscovered worlds may lurk farther away from its star — perhaps in the habitable zone, that just-right range of distances where liquid water can exist.

"Most of the low-mass planets are in systems of two, three to six or seven planets, out to the habitable zone," study co-author Stephane Udry of the Geneva Observatory told reporters Tuesday.

So the discovery "opens really good prospects for detecting planets in the habitable zone in a system that is very close to us," Udry added. "In that sense, this system is a landmark."

Alpha Centauri Bb zips around its star every 3.2 days, orbiting at a distance of just 3.6 million miles (6 million kilometers). For comparison, Earth orbits about 93 million miles, or 150 million km, from the sun.
Closer and closer still.
Old 2012-10-18, 02:37   Link #1300
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Alright, so now we need to look at Alpha Centauri A and try to find a solid planet covered with vegetation, extremely exotic minerals, six-limbed fauna, fluorescent fauna and blue-skinned humanoids.