AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-10-13, 19:11   Link #4321
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobachs View Post
Thank you Democrats. The Dollar is officially dead!
If somebody has still some of these worthless pieces of paper lying around, just send them to me!

No need to thank me, you're welcome.
Old 2009-10-13, 20:37   Link #4322
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
We don't have governors. Or anything like it. But if we did, the position Junior's running for would be way lower.

Not that it isn't blatant nepotism, or that we couldn't find someone qualified by entering any office building and grabbing someone at random, but.
Essentially, it's like an office manager job except with a lot of money involved given that it's an entire district area. I get the feeling that Nicolas Sarkozy is padding his son's way into a life as a career politician - following his own footsteps, and the contacts he'll make will help him raise funds and make connections.

It's almost SOP for a family-owned business's owner who wants his company to stay within the family, so it's not a huge surprise. The high-handed approach to appoint his son to the role is a bit much; for a family-owned business, you can't say a lot if the boss puts family in plum roles, but France isn't a family-owned business. Officially anyway. It sets a bad precedent for a democractic type government, IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Kira01 View Post
After quitting politics, Japan's Koizumi turns superhero

This is awesome...

Junichiro Koizumi has become a seiyuu!?

Wait... Isn't he the former prime minister and also ace of the opposition party LDP?
Hah hah... It's good to see an ex-politician having a life outside of politics. For a moment there, I thought Koizumi will actually put on a superhero costume to "fight" villians, though.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
Old 2009-10-13, 21:32   Link #4323
autobachs
Banned

Russia Resists U.S. Position on Sanctions for Iran
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/14/wo...diplo.html?hpw

The Russians know Obama is a weak pile of shit and they are going to milk him for everything they can get. Since Obama thought he could gain some Russian cooperation after killing the missile shield deal, he has exposed himself as the weak fool that he is. I expect Obama to give the Russians more concessions in the vein hope that Russia will then back us on Iran.

The Russians see him as an idiot and they will play him like the idiot he is. Obama is a disaster worse than Carter.
Old 2009-10-13, 21:38   Link #4324
Hage-bai
Banned

Quote:

The Russians know Obama is a weak pile of shit and they are going to milk him for everything they can get. Since Obama thought he could gain some Russian cooperation after killing the missile shield deal, he has exposed himself as the weak fool that he is. I expect Obama to give the Russians more concessions in the vein hope that Russia will then back us on Iran.

The Russians see him as an idiot and they will play him like the idiot he is. Obama is a disaster worse than Carter.
Hey, he won the nobel peace prize for bowing to the Russians. The old Norweigan farts who voted for him said so themselves. He must be doing something right. Its all about political image and stardom. Obama's no fool. A true politician knows how to work it no matter how empty their foreign policy plans really are.
Old 2009-10-13, 21:55   Link #4325
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:

You do realize that the missiles in question didn't work well in controlled tests, let alone an actual field test, right? And that they're being replaced with a missile system that's proven it's effectiveness? This missile shield thing was worthless from the very begining. Obama killed a worthless project. Though I guess considering the amount of money Reagen wasted on his SDI project without achieving any results, and that he's hailed in some circles as the guy who single handedly crushed the "evil Soviet empire" people judge how strong a president is on defense by how much money he's willing to throw away on military projects that don't work.
Old 2009-10-13, 22:01   Link #4326
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
anyways,

What happened to so called Global Warming?
Here's the bloody link to Nature.com --- maybe you need to get some some actual *science* news sources. Free bonus: http://www.sciencenews.org/ for the less technically oriented.
Old 2009-10-13, 22:04   Link #4327
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
You do realize that the missiles in question didn't work well in controlled tests, let alone an actual field test, right? And that they're being replaced with a missile system that's proven it's effectiveness? This missile shield thing was worthless from the very begining. Obama killed a worthless project. Though I guess considering the amount of money Reagen wasted on his SDI project without achieving any results, and that he's hailed in some circles as the guy who single handedly crushed the "evil Soviet empire" people judge how strong a president is on defense by how much money he's willing to throw away on military projects that don't work.
Well, at least Reagen didn't spend all the increase in defence spending on the SDI. In any event, the SDI should not be noted for its effectiveness, but as a taunt to the Soviets: join in this arms race, or be left behind (potentially). The result is a bankrupt Soviet Union. Well, not that the economy wouldn't have gone bust from other means...
Old 2009-10-13, 22:17   Link #4328
LynnieS

Quote:

Neither the Russians, the Chinese, or the Europeans are consistent allies of the U.S. It does not matter one bit if the government is Democrat or Republican. No one is going to automatically bow down to the "innate superiority" of the U.S.; blustering like an idiot all the time just makes a leader look like he's Chicken Little. You pick your battles when you can and where you are strong; picking fights constantly just makes you weak and not in control.

Barack Obama is no George Washington or Abraham Lincoln, and judging from his actions so far, he's not super decisive. At the same time, I don't see him as being a fool either.

Old 2009-10-13, 22:25   Link #4329
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Well, Obama didn't have to foster unity in a new and weak country against a colonial master, and he didn't have to preside over a civil war. Different times, different challenges.
Old 2009-10-13, 22:31   Link #4330
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Well, at least Reagen didn't spend all the increase in defence spending on the SDI. In any event, the SDI should not be noted for its effectiveness, but as a taunt to the Soviets: join in this arms race, or be left behind (potentially). The result is a bankrupt Soviet Union. Well, not that the economy wouldn't have gone bust from other means...
SDI was a bit expensive for a taunt. Not to mention it didn't really have much of an effect on the Soviet economy since they didn't match the spending. By that point they were already struggling to maintain military parity with the US and we would have seen the same results even if we hadn't increased our military funding then.
Old 2009-10-13, 22:50   Link #4331
LynnieS

Quote:
Well, Obama didn't have to foster unity in a new and weak country against a colonial master, and he didn't have to preside over a civil war. Different times, different challenges.
Unfortunately, I do see that the problems facing the U.S. today are, as a whole, made worse by disunity among the various groups, and it does take a leader to stand up, find a common ground, and get people to work together to face the problems. You have a 17% real unemployment rate nationally (higher in certain areas - e.g., 25% in Detroit, MI), a health care plan that looks good on paper if assumptions all come true, and a potential problem with the need to either pay off or roll over short-term debt.

I see the first happening, the second looks a bit iffy, and not much of the third, unfortunately, at the moment. To really know, we might have to wait till his Presidential Library is built so his working papers can be studied.

Whether or not history will see Obama as a Great Man - or just as another minor footnote in the list of U.S. presidents as just being the first non-white man elected to the position - is still in the future. He does not deserve that status at this point in time as he has not met and successfully faced the challenges at hand, IMHO; however, he does not deserve to be called a "weak fool" either.

Old 2009-10-13, 22:57   Link #4332
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

His presidency is a WIP. Yes, he needs to get things moving. But, let's debate his legacy after he leaves office.
Old 2009-10-13, 23:49   Link #4333
LynnieS

Quote:
His presidency is a WIP. Yes, he needs to get things moving. But, let's debate his legacy after he leaves office.
Agreed. I just took issue with Obama being called those names when many of the problems facing him now are not of his doing. OTOH, I can't tell ATM if he's letting his advisors run the show with broad ground rules or synthesizing his own conclusions based on their advice only. When his papers are released, hopefully that will let an objective analysis be done.

Kashmir glaciers are melting quickly
Quote:
SRINAGAR, India – Indian Kashmir's glaciers are melting fast because of rising temperatures, threatening the water supply of millions of people in the Himalayan region, a new study by Indian scientists says.
Doesn't China take some of its water from the Himalayas area also?

Old 2009-10-14, 00:09   Link #4334
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Actually it never occurred to me that any American would talk sense like her. Hopefully most of the Americans are in sync with what she says.
I was thinking more like, I hope not. Cause, that would make most Americans ignorant of what is really going on. I currently have no idea why there is even a discussion of whether he deserved it or not. He has not. Some clowns in the media (see Fox) putting all the negative aspects on the matter should not be an obstacle for us to see the truth on our own. If the awardee cannot even show in emotion that he deserved it, some, like the MSNBS people, trying to defend the award for the sake of defending it make it even worse. And this kind of things is a big reason why such clowns (see Fox) succeed in reaching more people sharing similar beliefs on issues like these.
Old 2009-10-14, 02:25   Link #4335
autobachs
Banned

The award sounds like a setup. It creates a conflict of interest for an incumbent President to accept the Nobel Peace Prize. And the awards committee knows that, placing Obama in a tough situation. By accepting the prize, he is under an unwritten obligation to refrain from war. How can a President be Commander In Chief of the Armed Forces and accept a Nobel Peace Prize? How would it influence decision making? Obama had to go on the air the same night he received the award, thus not giving him time to consider matters thoroughly. He said he didn't think he deserved it, but had to appear gracious. That is unfortunate, because this is something he should have known from the start.

By design, that is the whole point behind it. To me, the act of awarding the Nobel to Obama is an overt act of hostility toward the US...an attempt to subvert Presidential duties and an interference with our government. Obama was caught off guard by all this and he should now make it clear that as an incumbent President he appreciates the award, but now must return it because it constitutes a conflict of interest per his duties to the US.

So far I don't agree with anything Obama has in mind for our country. However, I also don't like it when foreign entities fool around with our business!
Old 2009-10-14, 02:35   Link #4336
james0246

Quote:
So far I don't agree with anything Obama has in mind for our country. However, I also don't like it when foreign entities fool around with our business!
I generally do not like to get involved in political discussion online, but I found this statement to be too deliciously ironic not to make a brief comment. One of the reasons that foreign nations have not liked America in the past, is because they perceive the country to be too arrogant for stepping into other nations businesses. So, I find it ironic that a reason you dislike the award (or at least what you believe to be the basis for presenting the award to Obama) is the same reason many non-Americans have disliked America in the past.

That being said, not only would Obama (and America) look absolutely foolish for rejecting the award, but he would harm any credibility he has gained on the world stage (the extent of the harm is unknown). And for what? A few brownie points with conservative pundits and comentators (and said pundits and comentators would immedaitly forget the brownie points within a day or two).

The real question isn't should he reject the award, but what he should do with the money. A million dollar doanation to the right charity could be a wonderful PR move.
Old 2009-10-14, 02:40   Link #4337
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

from Yahoo Buzz.
http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzzlog/93092?fp=1

Bizarre UFO-like halo over Moscow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHOPxVM6oIw
Old 2009-10-14, 02:51   Link #4338
autobachs
Banned

Here's a bit history:

Teddy Roosevelt's involvement in an American war was the Spanish-American War in 1898, 2 - 3 years or so before he took office in 1901. TR was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1906 for his efforts in negotiating an end to the Russo-Japanese War. A look up of the time line of American involvement in war lists nothing between 1898 and 1914 when WWI broke out. Wilson was elected President in 1912 and did not declare war against Germany until 1917, well into his fifth year in office as a two term President. Wilson was awarded the Nobel Prize in 1919 for his efforts to end WWI and form the League of Nations, after personally taking upon himself armistice talks with Germany.

First, these men were awarded the Nobel Peace Prize after doing something well into their second terms in office. They got the award for DO and not for TALK. Second, and by extension, there was no BRIBERY or possibility of such foreign involvement to influence their actions due to their receiving the award after their actions had already taken place.

There is a third reason with so much money being involved with the award, it is pretty much a given in the real world that if you take money from someone you are beholden to them. This is almost always a bad position to be in.
Old 2009-10-14, 03:05   Link #4339
james0246

^Please actually look into all the past laureates, not just the American presidents. Many of them did not accomplish anything specific by the time they received their awards. Rather, they won solely because they were attempting to advance the cause of peace, not because they had brought peace to any specific land (Roosevelt was actually the first individual to receive the award for actually brokering a peace deal between 2 warring nations; the previous recipients had only set-up potentially helpful organizations, or done basic things to advance the cause of peace).

In the end, Obama's win is surprising, but it is in no way a real deficit to his cause, or America's cause in the world, and it is certainly not bribery.

I do not want to divert the thread any further, so I will bow out.
Old 2009-10-14, 06:33   Link #4340
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Quote:
Here's a bit history:

Teddy Roosevelt's involvement in an American war was the Spanish-American War in 1898, 2 - 3 years or so before he took office in 1901. TR was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1906 for his efforts in negotiating an end to the Russo-Japanese War. A look up of the time line of American involvement in war lists nothing between 1898 and 1914 when WWI broke out. Wilson was elected President in 1912 and did not declare war against Germany until 1917, well into his fifth year in office as a two term President. Wilson was awarded the Nobel Prize in 1919 for his efforts to end WWI and form the League of Nations, after personally taking upon himself armistice talks with Germany.
Yeah sure... official history for you. And what about the Philippine-American war of 1989-1902+10?

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international