FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Spoiler for Ep4:
Old 2011-10-23, 01:04   Link #322
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Why did Leorio (he's 19 - really?) call Gon & Killua teenagers? They're 12, right?
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-23, 01:41   Link #323
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
Once again, they skipped an important mention of Kaito, when Killua asks Gon why he wants to be a hunter.
i don't get why this new anime is ignoring him completely, it makes no sense and could be a problem in the long run.
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-23, 04:09   Link #324
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Spoiler for Ep4:
Spoiler for Ep4:

Quote:
Spoiler for Ep4:
Spoiler for Ep4:

Quote:
Spoiler for Ep4:
Spoiler for Ep4:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Why did Leorio (he's 19 - really?) call Gon & Killua teenagers? They're 12, right?
They're more than 10, and less than 19 (inclusive).

Last edited by Anh_Minh; 2011-10-23 at 15:37.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-23, 04:13   Link #325
Gooral
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Not sure how it's in USA but in most countries teenager is someone between 11-19 years. But in the anime it wasn't said he was 19 AFAIK.

As for the episode, it was the best so far IMO but it was hard to mess up here. I liked the pacing better in the old version since we've had time to get to know characters and we actually saw the bond creating between them. Here Kurapica and Leorio talk about their deepest secrets to the guy they've just met and barely talked (at least from what we saw). I know it was like that in the manga but that's why I consider old anime > manga > new anime. The director of the old anime new how to DIRECT the story and "fillers" improved original material greatly. I also preferred how they've introduced Killua in the old version. After all he was an assassin and not a normal kid so it made more sense he was isolated and not as cheerful as the one in the new version.
Gooral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-23, 05:51   Link #326
rinichan

I think during the press release it was said that Kaito will be on a flashback. So all of us just need to wait for it.
rinichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-23, 05:53   Link #327
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
^That never happened, it's just fan speculation. But after the way Gon ignored him this week, i'm starting to have doubts if they'll ever fix that.
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-23, 06:17   Link #328
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Episode 4 was pretty damn decent. The pacing is pretty much the same as last weeks, so i have faith that this will be the norm for the hunter exam. I expect some changes once we hit future material, though there's no need to worry about that yet.

Really like how Kurapika and Leorio's pasts came about, with some fitting music placement. Speaking of music, i totally loved that Spainish guitar piece during Hisoka's scene. Totally can't wait for his scenes in next weeks episode.

Also, just have to mention how happy it makes me hearing Furukawa Toshio. He's quite the interesting choice for Satotz.
Old 2011-10-23, 07:54   Link #329
ookamigirl

So Gon made a new friend his age, Killua ^^
Guess first phase was not as easy as some of them thought.
So Leorio had a sad story too.
Seems like Gon & Killua were the only ones having fun this time.
Swindlers Swamp, huh? That will be very interesting.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-23, 09:24   Link #330
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooral View Post
I also preferred how they've introduced Killua in the old version. After all he was an assassin and not a normal kid so it made more sense he was isolated and not as cheerful as the one in the new version.
Then I am really glad I never watched the first series and only read the manga. I love Killua just the way he is here. The fact that Gon and Killua despite being abnormally talented are still just regular kids deep down is what made me really fall in love with their characters and interaction in the first place. This episode was just perfect in that regard.

Leorio and Kurapica's back stories were also handled really well. Sometimes you just meet someone you feel a connection with and that is how I see their characters.
Old 2011-10-23, 09:41   Link #331
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Then I am really glad I never watched the first series and only read the manga. I love Killua just the way he is here. The fact that Gon and Killua despite being abnormally talented are still just regular kids deep down is what made me really fall in love with their characters and interaction in the first place. This episode was just perfect in that regard.
In the original anime, Killua and Gon still become friends the same way. They're much more pally earlier on in this version, though that's because the first series did some pretty solid character development for Killua during the exam.

I'm one that treats both versions differently, though i will say that the original series is one of the best adaptations i've seen. I highly recommend you check it out in the future sometime.
Old 2011-10-23, 10:08   Link #332
Simonsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooral View Post
Not sure how it's in USA but in most countries teenager is someone between 11-19 years. But in the anime it wasn't said he was 19 AFAIK.

As for the episode, it was the best so far IMO but it was hard to mess up here. I liked the pacing better in the old version since we've had time to get to know characters and we actually saw the bond creating between them. Here Kurapica and Leorio talk about their deepest secrets to the guy they've just met and barely talked (at least from what we saw). I know it was like that in the manga but that's why I consider old anime > manga > new anime. The director of the old anime new how to DIRECT the story and "fillers" improved original material greatly. I also preferred how they've introduced Killua in the old version. After all he was an assassin and not a normal kid so it made more sense he was isolated and not as cheerful as the one in the new version.
Well considering this is how they are said in america

10 - ten
11 - eleven
12 - twelve
13 - thirTEEN
14 - fourTEEN
15 - fifthTEEN
16 - sixTEEN
17 - sevenTEEN
18 - eighTEEN
19 - nineTEEN
20 - twenty

That is how we consider the teens. You know they have the teen word in it. 13-19

As for episode, even though it and last episode covered so much material content wise, not chapter wise, I'm dissapointed at how slow this is going. I'm glad that they are skipping and rushing like Full Metal did in its remake, but in same sense I want ot hurry up and get to later parts.
Simonsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-23, 10:24   Link #333
Vicious108

I've warmed up to Miyuki Sawashiro's Kurapica now, but Daisuke Namikawa's Hisoka still irks me to say the least. Hiroki Takahashi really has spoiled me, I guess.

On a more positive note, Keiji Fujiwara was hilarious as Leorio in this episode. I believe the images of his past were all filler, but they were nicely enough done I suppose.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2011-10-23 at 14:56. Reason: No manga spoilers in anime only threads, please!
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-23, 11:03   Link #334
Kirarakim

Quote:
Killua, a regular kid deep down, really?
Yes Really and yes I know all about that & it doesn't change what I said at all (but I don't really think you should be posting spoilers like that even under a cut).

A character can have more than one facet to their personality. Despite being very different from a normal kid in many respects, Killua still enjoys doing things like a regular kid. That doesn't take away from other aspects of his character. Actually it made him more interesting & unique to me than if he started out as a cold & distant & gradually changed to more cheerful thanks to Gon's influence. Not that type of character development is bad (and I am sure it was well written too).

edit: I also hardly think I am passing judgement on the original series. I never said one was better than the other; just that I really loved how Killua was portrayed in the manga and I would not personally enjoy seeing that changed.

Maybe my tone in that last reply was a little harsh but it was only in response to the constant "the first anime did it better" I always feel I see here. And trust me I am in no way a manga purist when it comes to Hunter X Hunter.

Last edited by Kirarakim; 2011-10-23 at 14:38.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-23, 11:33   Link #335
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Glad the computer kid dropped out, he was annoying. Glad to see Leorio didn't give up. Like how Gona and Killua waited for him. Nice info on Kurapika and Leorio's past. So Mito is Gon's aunt, so what happened to his mom? Will it ever be covered?

Oh man right when they get of the tunnel they only find out its halfway through the first phase. Like how they showed how deceptive the animals can be.
Old 2011-10-23, 12:02   Link #336
Ishe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Maybe my tone in that last reply was a little harsh but it was only in response to the constant "the first anime did it better" I always feel I see here. And trust me I am in no way a manga purist when it comes to Hunter X Hunter.
I only watched the original, didn't read the manga, but I like how Killua is portrayed here better - it's more consistent. The original didn't do it better in my opinion. If I couldn't have marathoned through the majority of the hunter exam, I'm sure I would have ended up dropping it because of all the filler (I didn't really know that it was filler, just that it dragged on and on). The original didn't grab me until later in the exam.
Ishe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-23, 13:28   Link #337
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati

Now, onto the comparison.

Spoiler for HxH Episode Comparison 4:

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2011-10-23 at 15:00. Reason: No manga spoilers in anime only threads, please!
Toto y Moi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-23, 13:31   Link #338
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well at least any questions about Killua have been answered by the thread . Kid seemed strange in some respects, but at least the reason why is clear.
Old 2011-10-23, 14:47   Link #339
Clarste
Human

More like you've been carelessly spoiled, but whatever. I like the cheerful Killua more, because ironically it gives him more depth.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-23, 15:02   Link #340
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Here's another reminder about spoilers folks:

You cannot post them in anime only threads, even inside spoiler tags. If I see anyone doing this again, they get themselves a spoiler infraction, which just happens to be one of the fastest ways to get banned from the forum.

Tags
action, shounen