Notices

Old 2013-09-25, 04:40   Link #3621
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterVampire View Post
Is this series any good?

I was thinking about watching it but it seems a bit...... "kiddy?"

I like DBZ and FullMetal Alchemist to put things into perspective.
The very first episodes give off a very kiddy vibe, but to put things in perspective,

Spoiler for Mild spoiler - read this if you think it's worth it for the sake of convincing you:

I'd say if anything, HXH is one hell of a case of mood dissonance: the art and the looks of it being childish only make the end result even creepier. There are different arcs with different moods, but they range from "good, solid, well thought out combat arc" (think Dragonball, but with very consistent powers, less brute force and more strategy/smarts. Hell, there's even a tournament arc!) to "dark as all hell". And I mean it. The closest comparison, if you've ever watched or read it, would be Yu Yu Hakusho, from the same author. It's rougher around the edges and not quite as twisted as HXH can be, but it has some similarities.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-25, 07:17   Link #3622
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It seems timely given yet another "kiddie" discussion, but H x H is moving to Tuesdays at 1:29 AM next month. Guess it isn't surprising, but it still makes me a little sad.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-25, 07:33   Link #3623
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
It seems timely given yet another "kiddie" discussion, but H x H is moving to Tuesdays at 1:29 AM next month. Guess it isn't surprising, but it still makes me a little sad.
So they'll air it at night? Personally, I'm okay with it, if it means they don't need to pull the brakes on the next material. I would be annoyed by badly done censorship (not that Madhouse has ever done that with this series, except maybe the confetti blood when Hisoka cut that guy's arm off at the exam).

I have a fun anecdote about HXH being "for kiddies". I first knew HXH through the Italian dub. It was aired around 1 PM, in a time slot usually reserved for popular (and thoroughly sanitized) shonen anime. The kind of slot where they'd usually air our Dragonball dub - which manages the heroic feat of not using the word "death" once during the whole run despite the source material. Well, in this slot they began airing the old HXH series completely uncensored. I guess they just watched the first two-three episodes and thought "ok, mindless adventure anime for children, passed". When it came to that-certain-episode (the one where we get an heart ripped and the mention of the word "transvestite" - le gasp! - in less than twenty minutes), shit hit the fan. Hard. I guess the network was submerged by the usual zealot parents writing flaming letters, because the entire series was suspended and they began a new airing, this time with a hurried and ultra-censored dub. Gore was cut out, any allusion to homosexuality in that specific scene was eliminated, and even Killua and his family were rebranded from "assassins" to "mercenaries".

Old 2013-09-25, 08:36   Link #3624
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
I'm surprised that didn't happen earlier. This arc is definitely not kid friendly. If that means less censorship then I don't mind. They can go all out now!
Old 2013-09-25, 08:51   Link #3625
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It also means less ratings, ad revenue and general exposure for the franchise. I haven't found any of the censorship intrusive to the point where it bothered me - I think Madhouse has done a remarkable job in that respect. But they probably held the line as long as they could - I'm sure NTV was under a lot of pressure to make this move.
Old 2013-09-25, 09:01   Link #3626
SHINOBI-03

Hunter x Hunter will change its time slot to Wednesday 1:29 am JPT.!

Spoiler for ad:
SHINOBI-03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-25, 09:26   Link #3627
Uribatake

It's not entirely unexpected, considering how dark and violent this current arc is, but I'm still worried because at the pace the anime is going, it will take about 50 more episodes to cover the manga up to the second-to-latest chapter (which I think would work really well as a conclusion to the show), but series that air after midnight don't usually last that long.
Uribatake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-25, 09:40   Link #3628
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uribatake View Post
It's not entirely unexpected, considering how dark and violent this current arc is, but I'm still worried because at the pace the anime is going, it will take about 50 more episodes to cover the manga up to the second-to-latest chapter (which I think would work really well as a conclusion to the show), but series that air after midnight don't usually last that long.
Shows that have aired on that timeslot : Death Note,Monster, Chihayafuru S1 ( S2 aired on fridays), Kimi ni Todoke, Rainbow, Akagi, Kaiji and more that I'm forgetting.

So it's not unheard of for shows in that timeslot to be 2 cour or longer (even if not in one go), so if there was a late night timeslot where we could hope to catch up the manga it's this one,though hoping is one thing,I wouldn't bet on it either.
Old 2013-09-25, 09:45   Link #3629
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Shows that have aired on that timeslot : Death Note,Monster, Chihayafuru S1 ( S2 aired on fridays), Kimi ni Todoke, Rainbow, Akagi, Kaiji and more that I'm forgetting.

So it's not unheard of for shows in that timeslot to be 2 cour or longer (even if not in one go), so if there was a late night timeslot where we could hope to catch up the manga it's this one,though hoping is one thing,I wouldn't bet on it either.
Death Note was three cours, and you have to go all the way back to what, 2004 for Monster? The more I think on this the more worried I get.
Old 2013-09-25, 10:05   Link #3630
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Death Note was three cours, and you have to go all the way back to what, 2004 for Monster? The more I think on this the more worried I get.
I guess what I'm hoping is that as long as there's something to promote (another film,the manga starts up again...) they might just do the election arc at a later date, but they'll do it.

Kaiji (promoting live action movies) , chihayafuru (promoting manga) did end up getting 4 cours, even if it isn't in one go.
Old 2013-09-25, 10:24   Link #3631
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
I guess what I'm hoping is that as long as there's something to promote (another film,the manga starts up again...) they might just do the election arc at a later date, but they'll do it.

Kaiji (promoting live action movies) , chihayafuru (promoting manga) did end up getting 4 cours, even if it isn't in one go.
But (bear in mind I haven't read the manga to the end, not that manga spoilers would be kosher here anyway) everything I've heard says Chimera Ant alone needs 4 more cours for a proper finish, three minimum. And it certainly wouldn't make any sense to break that up.
Old 2013-09-25, 11:29   Link #3632
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

So exactly how did he series pass to feature in Shonen Jump anyway?
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-25, 12:21   Link #3633
ChibiGoku
FightingMagic Founder

It's worth noting that many of the affiliates had been airing this late at night for some time. Some since the beginning, some switching later on, so the main network switching wasn't a complete surprise.
ChibiGoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-25, 15:38   Link #3634
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uribatake View Post
Well, cutting the series short would be a real dick move at this point. Honestly, I don't remember the extent of the full Chimaera Ant arc from now on in manga, but 4 cours seems excessive to me. Especially in the final part, I think speeding up is a possibility. We'll see, I guess.

Old 2013-09-25, 19:22   Link #3635
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

In my opinion magi went away with more inappropriate stuf for a sunday morning timeslot anime, but if this took this decision they likely did the proper demographic research since this is a series that does quite good in its ratings, not sure about disc sales tough, but certainly the plot in this arc can be quite heavy and complicated for little kids, but the same could been said to some extent to the york shin arc.
Old 2013-09-25, 19:35   Link #3636
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Disc sales were pretty much non-existent, but I don't think that was unexpected - shows that air in the morning almost never sell discs. Not that H x H will as a late-night series either, which is a major part of the problem.
Old 2013-09-25, 22:55   Link #3637
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

it helped move mangas, wich is likely enough make shueisha happy, and madhouse is pretty much owned by nippon television, so i could see it working with merely good ratings.
Old 2013-09-26, 00:41   Link #3638
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeniselv View Post
In my opinion magi went away with more inappropriate stuf for a sunday morning timeslot anime,
More inappropreate than kids being brutally murdered?
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-26, 03:27   Link #3639
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeniselv View Post
In my opinion magi went away with more inappropriate stuf for a sunday morning timeslot anime
No, come on, not nearly close. I hardly remember any named character dying in Magi, except for that villainous sheriff. And even he was killed off screen. There's some discussion on complicated stuff, okay, what with the slavery and all the economy stuff. But inappropriate? HXH is the show that gave us a child murdered on screen and the monster who killed him tasting his brain from his freshly split skull. A cook mangling humans to prepare meatballs for said abominations. In York Shin, a guy biting off an enemy's head and using a piece of his skull as a bullet to kill another. And in a few episodes

Spoiler for Small spoilers:

Magi didn't have a quarter of this many balls.

Old 2013-09-26, 05:23   Link #3640
v1cious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
So exactly how did he series pass to feature in Shonen Jump anyway?
Yu Yu Hakusho was a massive hit. You really think they were gonna turn Togashi down?
v1cious is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, shounen