AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2022-06-30, 21:44   Link #1
Wildmask

Searching for information on an old fansub

Hi! I'm new, so forgive my poor etiquette. I'll keep this brief for reading sake.

I'm trying to locate information on an old Ouran Highschool Host Club fansub. Specifically, the one made by Lunar Anime. The website "lunaranime.org" redirects to here, so I figure this is a good place to ask. Furthermore, trying to navigate/get into contact with anybody via #lunaranime @ irc.rizon.net is a nightmare.

Does anybody know how to get into contact with those who may have worked on the sub? The reason I ask is because I am curious as to how the subs were created. That is, what they were translated from (I've heard translating from Chinese subs isn't uncommon, etc.), and why they seem to differ greatly from modern sub translations provided by Crunchyroll, Netflix, etc. As a Japanese > English translator myself, I'm highly curious and would like to get in touch with anybody who can steer me in the right direction or provide answers.

Very sorry if this somehow does not fit the forum, I'm kinda at a brick wall, so to speak.

Thank you!
Old 2022-07-03, 07:03   Link #2
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I'll give it to you straight. Lunar anime disbanded a decade ago, you won't be able to find anything unless by some miracle one of the members somehow lurks here and reads your post. The IRC channel is probably long dead, too.
Old 2022-07-03, 11:58   Link #3
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

If I search, I think I might have used Lunar's subs too for Ouran and have some of the episodes. But maybe not all of them. Will leave it to Kanon, but I might be able to search out some if needed

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2022-07-04, 17:10   Link #4
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
If I search, I think I might have used Lunar's subs too for Ouran and have some of the episodes. But maybe not all of them. Will leave it to Kanon, but I might be able to search out some if needed
You misunderstood me. I'm not going to do anything, I'm saying it's hopeless.

Well, maybe if you hit up some Cartel members.
Old 2022-07-05, 22:18   Link #5
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
You misunderstood me. I'm not going to do anything, I'm saying it's hopeless.

Well, maybe if you hit up some Cartel members.
Ohh, I totally misunderstood what "give it to you straight" referred to.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2022-07-06, 18:53   Link #6
Wildmask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I'll give it to you straight. Lunar anime disbanded a decade ago, you won't be able to find anything unless by some miracle one of the members somehow lurks here and reads your post. The IRC channel is probably long dead, too.
Darn, I see. Thank you for informing me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
I already have all the episodes - it's mostly a matter of wanting to contact the people to ask about how they went about translating each episode, since it's the translation choices themselves I'm curious about. I guess is anybody knows how Lunar did their translations, that would be a big help in figuring out the answer myself. I was hoping to find somebody who worked on the translations to get a primary source and definitive answer, but if that isn't happening (as it seems to be the case), then formulating my own theory is the next best step. Thank you guys for the swift responses
Closed Thread

Tags
fansub, translation