AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Infinite Stratos

Notices

Old 2011-01-14, 10:58   Link #981
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
Before you worry about that, you might as well ask why they are giving emotionally unstable teenage girls access to weapons of mass destruction.
Culture. After all, going by the track records in Japan, this sort of thing is apparently mandatory

As for this episode I really liked it was much better than the first one, however I'm still not sure about the show yet. It might work as an action flick but other than that nothing is really graping me other than the mildly amusing character interactions and good action in the second episode. I might give it another episode to see if I'll stick around or maybe put it on hold to marathon it later.
Old 2011-01-14, 11:01   Link #982
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Hmmm, looks like they skipped over Cecilia back story
They did...
Old 2011-01-14, 11:02   Link #983
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Watching again the episode was sort of enlightning regarding Houki's behaviour I guess.

Correct me if I'm wrong with these observations, but for some reason, she seems extremely touchy about her sister, and what happened to Ichika.
Although both events might just be overlapping irking subjects for her, what if they simply are tied together? (Speculation here, no need for confirmation or clarification from spoilers yet )

Let's see this way: as far as the classmates reaction went, being related to Professor Shinonono is hardly a good thing, as it seems she is basically MIA, and internationally wanted.
And if we consider the usual setup for "drastic departure because of this", that would explain why Houki and Ichika weren't in touch for 6 whole years. And despite this large time gap, Houki was obviously awkward but still caring for Ichika right from the get go.
So I guess it wouldn't be hasty to conclude that Houki dislikes her sister that much because she turned her life upside down, and making her unable to stay with Ichika.

Now, as for the whole kendo stuff, being a practicer myself, Houki's behavior and "obsession" about Ichika's strength isn't really that innocent: there is no way for someone to becomes "that weak" as long as they have regular training (not essentially intensive one... I mean, 3 hours everyday is quite hardcore, even for japanese dojo). The fact Houki questioned Ichika's activities during middle school is another indication that she just got puzzled by what he was doing.
By that, I wonder if Kendo wasn't just a way for her to be close to Ichika in the past. Thus, Ichika being weak at Kendo is an "alarming" clue that he is hardly interested in that anymore and thus "forgot/forsake" what they did together before and what possible they can do in the present (which also explain why she is happy to be with him even just for training, then insisting it is for practice only).

Houki's tsun antics in this episode aren't actually for the heck of it after thinking for a while. If what I've found is actually true, that would certainly give a certain "complex" dynamic between the two, probably even more jarring with other girls added in the equation.
This is also why her thanks right in the middle of the episode wasn't random or anything. Likewise, having now both Kendo and IS training certainly will strengthen their bond.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2011-01-14 at 12:06. Reason: clarifications made
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 11:56   Link #984
triskelion
*Fansubber

I'm not sure if anyone else noticed this.. but the scene where Houki was talking to herself after training with Ichika, she put on a dress. Then all of a sudden, she's wearing her uniform.
triskelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 12:24   Link #985
TrueKnight

Decent second ep.

Cecilia isn't that tough after all. Ichika with only his Byakushiki's DEFAULT SETTING manage to give her so much trouble. Only because he didn't know his beam saber drain the shield energy that he lost. Also his IS' operating system voice sounds badass like a Terminator and I hope we hear it often in future eps.

Finally because of his manliness he manage to conquer Cecilia's over ego personality and made her fall for him.

Now the rants, among others are the female oriented schools and anything badass must come from female (i.e the sister). Thats harem shows for you. And how could Ichika become so godly against an elite Cecilia just only his first time riding Byakushiki. It's gotta be either natural genius talent or he's just incredibly lucky.

And for Houki's scene talking to herself, I assume the dress is actually part her undergarment.

With the amount of posters around, I smell this show will warrant it's own sub-forum soon enough.
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 12:28   Link #986
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Hmmm, looks like they skipped over Cecilia back story or something, no matter I guess- Looks like they're all chummy in the next episode already.
I think we will get a brief glimpse of it later during the 3rd episode. Mostly as flashbacks or telling Ichika about how he was really manly
Old 2011-01-14, 12:32   Link #987
triskelion
*Fansubber

Well, it just came out so sudden. She's wearing that, 10 seconds of flashbacks, and then bam!
triskelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 12:46   Link #988
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueKnight View Post
And how could Ichika become so godly against an elite Cecilia just only his first time riding Byakushiki. It's gotta be either natural genius talent or he's just incredibly lucky.
I also think his just genius with a bit of luck but maybe the training that Houki give actually help. I think the way IS is manipulated is like moving it as a part or extension of your body. So Houki trained Ichika to strengthen more his strong points because that could already help him in the fight.

And Ichika looks like a good observer. Even if his been beam spam. He still manage to analyze his opponent. Even though the battles in IS is not life threatening thanks to the Ultimate Defense that protects the pilot. The battle itself still looks plenty harmful to me.

Cecilia is cute but they better explain more stuff on it. I just show her sweet and love struck site in the ending.

Is beating her enough to make her fall in love? or maybe she's not been beaten before and specially a boy that should be lower than girl in this set up. To actually beat her.
Old 2011-01-14, 12:50   Link #989
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
Can I take her home?
Except I already captured her with a Masterball~~~~~~ ( ^ω^)

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 12:52   Link #990
Belgaesh

But Ichika sure is lucky, was training kendo only in kendo but got an IS with only a katana, quite the coincidence.
Belgaesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 12:58   Link #991
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgaesh View Post
But Ichika sure is lucky, was training kendo only in kendo but got an IS with only a katana, quite the coincidence.
Didn't he say that he got his sisters IS?
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 12:58   Link #992
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
I also think his just genius with a bit of luck but maybe the training that Houki give actually help. I think the way IS is manipulated is like moving it as a part or extension of your body. So Houki trained Ichika to strengthen more his strong points because that could already help him in the fight.

And Ichika looks like a good observer. Even if his been beam spam. He still manage to analyze his opponent. Even though the battles in IS is not life threatening thanks to the Ultimate Defense that protects the pilot. The battle itself still looks plenty harmful to me.

Cecilia is cute but they better explain more stuff on it. I just show her sweet and love struck site in the ending.

Is beating her enough to make her fall in love? or maybe she's not been beaten before and specially a boy that should be lower than girl in this set up. To actually beat her.
Hopefully this won't be one of those "you beat me I fall in love" deals. They usually make little sense. Unless of course it is caused by that feeling of protection from a man you know is stronger than you, but then again, what anime girl ever actually falls for guys for reasons other than kindness?
Old 2011-01-14, 12:59   Link #993
TrueKnight

You can not just win against an elite chosen amongst probably tens of thousands candidate, with customized IS units only 467 of them in the world with only a week of kendo training.

I'm thinking he's must be a genius, lucky or his unit is incredibly broken. I'm incline to think its a full set combo of all of them.
Old 2011-01-14, 13:04   Link #994
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Well, Ichika has definitely some talents considering he can manipulate a IS and how he described his sudden epiphany when touching Byakushiki.

Also, Cecilia really didn't go all out: why would you simply start with the sniper rifle only?
Ichika got the edge of the battle because Cecilia basically was certain she would win, so she didn't bother. Should she go all out, the result would probably be quite different (if she still had her rifle bits while using missiles, it is unlikely that Ichika would save that much of shield energy).

The simple fact Ichika doesn't have any ranged weapons was a dead giveaway that he can only get his chance if he manages to get in melee range. So if you assume Cecilia starts shooting at him -while- keeping her distance, it would be a one sided battle prior the first shift.

Your usual "balanced battle because one of the fighter was way too conceited".
Old 2011-01-14, 13:05   Link #995
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuras View Post
Hopefully this won't be one of those "you beat me I fall in love" deals.
I believe the end of this episode is a clear indication it's already too late for that not to happen Well, we will have to see how that plays out, but Cecilia was evidently quite ... interested in Ichika already during her shower scene. Too fast and out of nowhere ? Quite likely, but i am for anything that would shift her character from venting her excessive pride in front of the class towards anything else.
Old 2011-01-14, 13:05   Link #996
Belgaesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Didn't he say that he got his sisters IS?
He said he got the same sword of his sister, the IS is diferent.
Old 2011-01-14, 13:15   Link #997
TrueKnight

Blue Star is a sniper oriented IS. They mention it during the briefing so equipped with a sniper rifle right from the start is a given. Also the Blue Star is also attached with the tiny uavs capable shooting lasers and also the last is missiles. In the battle she used all of them. Ichika just dodging left and right.

The thing is, the sniper and missiles manage to reach Ichika, while uavs lasers mostly don't because Ichika manage to do insane manuevers in evading them.

You don't just riding a unit you first met and become godly all of the sudden. Its like he's Hamilton or Vettel in an f1 or Rossi in a 500c moto gp.
Old 2011-01-14, 13:21   Link #998
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueKnight View Post
Blue Star is a sniper oriented IS. They mention it during the briefing so equipped with a sniper rifle right from the start is a given. Also the Blue Star is also attached with the tiny uavs capable shooting lasers and also the last is missiles. In the battle she used all of them. Ichika just dodging left and right.
Using the sniper rifle for the first minutes was actually Cecilia's biggest mistake.
First and foremost, assuming you need to take a aim, sniping like a sitting duck a moving target is the worst move, especially in a mecha situation.
You would rather do it if you have support or terrain advantage, none of which Cecilia had. Therefore, Ichika could gain distance while dodging even though he had hard time.
Worse, Cecilia was doing it on purpose, thus the "Dance for me" comment.

Using all of her weapons ONE AFTER ANOTHER was the worst idea, because it leaves time for your enemy to analyze the pattern etc. If she fired the missiles along with her rifle bits, there would be much less occasion for Ichika to find out the pattern. Furthermore, launching missiles while bits are docking back for ammo reload would give her time to gain more distance and/or sniping him.

Cecilia had to use a hit and run tactic and/or showering Ichika with so many attacks that he shouldn't get close to her.
She started to get "serious" only when Ichika finally got her first shift, which was already her defeat: she doesn't have distance advantage anymore, and her rifle bits were destroyed.
She had no tactics whatsoever: she was plainly making Ichika dance in her palm and realize way too late he could bite her hand.
Quote:
The thing is, the sniper and missiles manage to reach Ichika, while uavs lasers mostly don't because Ichika manage to do insane manuevers in evading them.
As explained: that is because Cecilia was going easy on him. I mean, instead of trying to overwhelm him, she even tries to grind him little by little (comment like "you left hand is mine!").

Quote:
You don't just riding a unit you first met and become godly all of the sudden. Its like he's Hamilton or Vettel in an f1 or Rossi in a 500c moto gp.
I can't call Ichika godly at all. Whereas he definitely got talents and hidden knowledge as it was shown, Ichika made a lot of useless movements. Even his sister noticed that he screwed up and Ichika made a reflex that has shown this mistake.
Old 2011-01-14, 13:27   Link #999
Belgaesh

Cecilia almost loses because that pride of hers, trying to play with the prey. And Ichika sister comments that he was saved by the machine, when Cecilia used the missiles.
Old 2011-01-14, 13:31   Link #1000
TrueKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari
As explained: that is because Cecilia was going easy on him. I mean, instead of trying to overwhelm him, she even tries to grind him little by little (comment like "you left hand is mine!")

I can't call Ichika godly at all. Whereas he definitely got talents and hidden knowledge as it was shown, Ichika made a lot of useless movements. Even his sister noticed that he screwed up and Ichika made a reflex that has shown this mistake.
And in the end, she didn't use them one by one, but spamming all of them, against a noob.

Bear in mind, he manage to give her trouble just using a default setting. With the power up he nearly beat her if not for ignorance on his beam saber sucking the shield's energy.

What I'm trying to point is, he manage to do ALL of this in a single first time match against an elite champion.

Like I mentioned earlier, it's either his a natural genius, lucky or his unit is broken. Or a full combo.

Tags
comedy, ecchi, harem, mecha, romance, school life, sci-fi, shounen, stupid protagonist