Animexcel

I wish that I could turn back time
Cos now the guilt is all mine
Can't live without
The trust from those you love
I know we can't forget the past
You can't forget love and pride
Because of that, it's killing me inside

Perhaps Shinji did turn back time when he first met Misato; like someone mentioned earlier lol
Animexcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-03, 13:02   Link #2122
Waking_Dreamer
Dreamer King

Oh man i finally got my hands on Evangelion Rebuild 2.0 But Im so screwed with my workload for the next 72 hours at least...I dont think I should watch it yet.

I could wtach it sporadically during my rest times...but would that ruin the experience?
Waking_Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-03, 13:05   Link #2123
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waking_Dreamer View Post
I could wtach it sporadically during my rest times...but would that ruin the experience?
I'd say so. For the best experience, watch when you can do it all in one sitting.
Old 2010-06-03, 13:28   Link #2124
Waking_Dreamer
Dreamer King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I'd say so. For the best experience, watch when you can do it all in one sitting.
Okay, thanks.

I'll wait till I reach a point in the workload that Im about to go insane and lose my mind...then I''l spend two horurs watching Evangelion in attempt to gain back my sanity and to remind me life aint so bad...
Old 2010-06-04, 02:22   Link #2125
airstorm

Quote:
I''l spend two horurs watching Evangelion in attempt to gain back my sanity and to remind me life aint so bad...
Please tell me which Evangelion you have been watching to have that idea...

If you must watch it in two bits though, there is a sort of commercial break screen thing halfway through.
airstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-04, 06:02   Link #2126
arias

Quote:
Okay, thanks.

I'll wait till I reach a point in the workload that Im about to go insane and lose my mind...then I''l spend two horurs watching Evangelion in attempt to gain back my sanity and to remind me life aint so bad...
Watching Rebuild 2.0 tells you how powerful life can be

The TV series of course, is insane.
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-04, 18:27   Link #2127
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by airstorm View Post
Umm, for tv series it'd be "well at least my life is not that bad..."

For Rebuild, the last 1/3 of 1.0 and first 1/3 of 2.0 can do it.

There's plenty of comic and fun moments in both, but I guess they tend to be overshadowed by the more depressing stuff.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-05, 04:04   Link #2128
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
With the Rebuild Movies, it's best to watch each in one sitting. The same could NOT be said of the TV series, unless you're just asking to be depressed by the time you hit Death and Rebirth. :P
Old 2010-06-05, 04:17   Link #2129
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
With the Rebuild Movies, it's best to watch each in one sitting. The same could NOT be said of the TV series, unless you're just asking to be depressed by the time you hit Death and Rebirth. :P
I disagree. Watched the original 26 episodes, then death and rebirth and then EoE when I first saw this series. Most soul crushing experience of my life .
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-05, 08:08   Link #2130
Sparvid
*hic*

I watched the 26 episodes for the first time over a period of a week around the New Years weekend last year. Then I continued directly on with EoE.
Then I said "Wow, I kinda wish I had stopped after episode 26..."
Old 2010-06-05, 09:59   Link #2131
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Well, the TV series is really better watched in bits and pieces, so the viewer can better digest some of the nuances introduced, particularly in the latter half.

Also, as mentioned before, watching it in long bursts can send a viewer on a one way ticket straight into despair, though when this happens vary per viewer (I hit my limit with EoE). Thankfully, none of that this time around with the Rebuild movies, though the viewer can be expected to be kicked in the 'nads for having the wrong expectations.
Old 2010-06-05, 11:32   Link #2132
bigdeath

Eva tv series was never soul crushingly depressing to me. I just blamed shinji for being so wangst and a general dislike of these broken characters. Literrally, the show left me wanting to smack Shinji a few thousand times. I was left with the impression that they might have survived if they were not so messed up. Rebuild has now made me rethink that since being happy seems to just maked it worst. So I'm not sure what to think........ How rebuild will end is very interesting to me.

Last edited by bigdeath; 2010-06-05 at 11:47.
bigdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-05, 14:10   Link #2133
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstorm View Post
What, of course Evangelion can be used to show that life isn't so bad... It shows you that, no matter how sucky your own life might be, you're in freaking paradise compared to what these people have to go through.
Old 2010-06-05, 16:50   Link #2134
Waking_Dreamer
Dreamer King

Well just watched the whole thing. Of course im hyped up on caffine and fatigued all into one - so while my judgement may be impaired...id just like to say that it was a beautiful movie. When I got time I'll go back and be able to read all the spoiler discussions now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdeath View Post
Eva tv series was never soul crushingly depressing to me. I just blamed shinji for being so wangst and a general dislike of these broken characters. Literrally, the show left me wanting to smack Shinji a few thousand times. I was left with the impression that they might have survived if they were not so messed up. Rebuild has now made me rethink that since being happy seems to just maked it worst. So I'm not sure what to think........ How rebuild will end is very interesting to me.
Well I think part of the series point was that, no the protagonists/hero doesnt have to save the day. I hated Shinji too first time around I saw EOE but I dont think youre meant to necessarily like him...just understand him.

No matter how pissed off you can get with watching the events of the movie/ending its only a fraction of teh frustration, confusion, despair that the characters must have experienced - since they're living it. That is the their world...theres nothing beyond it, they cant just turn away from the monitor/screen and walk away. Which is exactly what Shinji felt like doing - except he had the power to do so - and resetted the world.

But I do approve of the Rebuild series and am quite excited at how it will end...whether its similar or completely different to the first movies/series I cant wait to see it.

Last edited by Waking_Dreamer; 2010-06-05 at 17:04.
Old 2010-06-05, 18:38   Link #2135
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdeath View Post
Again, if you don't understand Shinji's plight, you missed the point of the show and it's no wonder why you would like Rebuild better, since Shinji himself is changed.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-05, 21:16   Link #2136
bigdeath

Indeed, I've never been that depressed so I can't quite connect on that level. But the vast majority of the shows fans likely have never been as depressed as Shinji so can't quite understand either.

I also didn't say I liked rebuild better, its simply made me reexamine my thoughts the original series. Which I think is part of the point of the rebuild.

One thing I do clearly like better is the eye candy. But its not surprising with rebuild's obviously large budget.

Quote:
Well I think part of the series point was that, no the protagonists/hero doesnt have to save the day. I hated Shinji too first time around I saw EOE but I dont think youre meant to necessarily like him...just understand him.
I would agree. I'll make this clear, I hate the tv shinji, but I do think Eva is a classic. My point is that I felt something for the character as if he were real. If shinji was my friend I'd want to slap him out of frustration. TV shinji was the type of person that didn't have faith in anything, not himself or others and hence impossible to help since it would be like talking to a wall.

And on the other hand, I hate endless wangst just as much as the typical Mecha lead bravado. One extreme isn't any less annoying than another.

Quote:
Again, if you don't understand Shinji's plight, you missed the point of the show
Really, as if Shinji was the only one suffering in the world. Which brings up another problem of Shinji, a typical teenage problem, of thinking only of himself. How many people in the Eva had a worst life than Shinji? How many people were homeless? Starving? Etc? Yet to Shinji it seems his life could be no worst.

And how much different is Shinji in rebuild anyway? In a way, hes worst since hes willing to damn the world to get what he wants. In EoE, Shinji lets everyone decided whether they want to come back themselves.

Well, that was a bit of a rant. But like I said, rebuild has made me rethink the series a lot.

Last edited by bigdeath; 2010-06-05 at 21:50.
Old 2010-06-05, 21:21   Link #2137
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Well, being a main character doesn't mean you're gonna find yourself the skill and will to save the world. I mean those angels are big scary monsters (even more threatening in Rebuild) can turn already troubled people into wrecks. Also, Shinji never really had much for parents; and considering what his parents were planning...

Then again, I can't help but think that if Shinji was more enthusiastic, we'd get someone more like Mari. Or perhaps that's the point-- someone who enjoys piloting eva for the sake of piloting it.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-05, 21:48   Link #2138
bigdeath

Well some fans think that Mari's purpose was just, to be a contrast to the other eva pilots. The original 3 pilots all had their own mental problems that tied into their reason to pilot Evas. Mari on the other hand seems to be much more stable and just enjoys combat in Evas. Whats her role in the story is yet to be reveal. 2.0 was just Mari's introduction.

On a side note, I'll add that I think it was the intention to the TV series to make people either empathize or be frustrated with Shinji. Not to agree with actions. Because in neither the tv series or rebuild is Shinji making the right decisions.
Old 2010-06-05, 21:53   Link #2139
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Watched 1.11 last night...it left me in awe. Watched 2.22 tonight...leaves me in shock.

1.11: Awesome beginning, the animation was outstanding too. The imagination that goes into creating the Angels is impressive too.

2.22: I could not believe what they did to Asuka. I cried. The cliffhanger regarding her was ruining in the preview though. Still, this is heavy stuff right...really heavy. Oh and this shows what fan service should be. It's not all in your face. It's subtle at times and more obvious in others. They really went to town with the Asuka service too.

Is there a website or blog that has all of the differences between this and the original series?
Old 2010-06-05, 21:55   Link #2140
bigdeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Is there a website or blog that has all of the differences between this and the original series?
try http://wiki.evageeks.org/

They have a nice list of the differences in both movies from the show.

Tags
movie, remake