AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Old 2014-01-18, 23:57   Link #9881
Lisemer

So, this may connect Hayate no Gotoku with the other manga of Hata maybe?
How it was called? "something" Lifesavers?
Lisemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-19, 00:13   Link #9882
Used Can

I wonder if Hata had planned this from back then when he showed Ikusa for the first time.
I think we did speculate about that waaay back in the day, before Doujin Namek started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisemer View Post
How it was called? "something" Lifesavers?
Umi no Yuusha Lifesavers (Heroes of the Sea Lifesavers).
Old 2014-01-19, 00:31   Link #9883
Lisemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
I wonder if Hata had planned this from back then when he showed Ikusa for the first time.
I think we did speculate about that waaay back in the day, before Doujin Namek started.

Umi no Yuusha Lifesavers (Heroes of the Sea Lifesavers).
Thanks. Now to search where I left those raws...
Old 2014-01-19, 00:33   Link #9884
Shadow5YA

Athena sounds like has had her memories back for a while now... or maybe just everything before she fell in love with Hayate.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-19, 01:56   Link #9885
Lisemer

Just in time to go to the beach, see her in a bikini and maybe even clear what's between her and Ikusa.
Old 2014-01-19, 04:35   Link #9886
Mentar
Banned

I've been bitching for a while lately, but the last 2-3 chapters have all been good. Is he actually determined to conclude the story with a strong finishing arc? If he does that, instead of diluting my interest with another round of "who the hell cares" sidecharacter rounds, there's actually some hope!

I'll go light a candle!
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-19, 06:41   Link #9887
madmac

Quote:
Just in time to go to the beach, see her in a bikini and maybe even clear what's between her and Ikusa.
Oddly enough, there were some recent volume covers that had full size Athena playing at the beach. Pure fanservice, but with recent developments, I could see it happening.
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-19, 11:25   Link #9888
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

w-----wow!!! The plot is advancing fast
Hina and Ayumu tried their last resort... an important clue about Hayate's bro... A-tan almost got back to her "legal" form.. and a possibility that after this arc, Nagi might be back to mansion
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-19, 13:23   Link #9889
madmac

You know, let me give you guys an executive summary of Lifesavers, Heroes of the Sea seeing as how it could be relevant as soon as next week. I'm basing this off the fact that I loosely translated about a chapter and a half of the series ages ago and then skimmed through the rest. I know the basic setup very well but I couldn't really tell you how it ends, basically.

Heroes of the Sea was a monthly manga that ran in Shonen Super prior to HnG being published. It's only like 5-6 chapters long, but each chapter is pretty lengthy.

Anyway, the characters.

Souya You all know Souya-kun the fishman as Hamsters random friend back at high school. He's also buddies with Hayate, in fact the group that invites Hayate to a Christmas party in chapter one are all Lifesaver characters. He's a swim jock who's only talent is swimming super fast, and he's a bit of an arse about it. Not your typical Harem push-over at all. He's sort of a mix of highly competent and buttmonkey most of the time.

Mitsumi (The one who looks like Nagi) is Souya's "Childhood Friend". You know how that works. Mitsumi was saved from drowning 10 years ago (Hata loves his decades) by Ikusabe, but she doesn't remember him clearly. It left such an impression on her that she's obsessed with becoming a lifeguard herself even though she's also so traumatized by it that she can't swim, like, at all.

Mitsumi is (supposedly) book smart but also kind of an enthusiastic ditz about absolutely everything. She finds a flyer advertising summer Lifeguard work (To become a true Macho Man!) and talks Souya into coming with her.

Also along for the ride are Mitsumi's two school buddies (One of them looks like Saki) who basically do nothing but hang back and serve as the peanut gallery/commentary section. It's hinted one of them has a crush on Souya but it never goes anywhere, they just snark.

At the beach they of course meet Ikusabe Yamamoto aka Ikusa, who is a manly man convinced that Lifeguarding is exactly like being a superhero.

Ikusabe: What is the most important quality in a lifeguard?

Mitsumi: Uh....alertness?

Ikusabe: Attack Power.

He gives Mitsumi the brush-off at first, but after hearing her story he ends up being a bit sweet on her and lets her join with the stipulation that Souya does enough work to carry both of them. From there it's mostly a comedic love triangle with Isusabe and Souya always at each others throats fighting over Mitsumi and just in general.

Lots of crazy stuff happens, like early HnG level whackiness with robots and aliens and monsters everywhere. Ikusabe generally rolls in at the end of the chapter to punch whatever into oblivion and rescue everyone while Souya gets increasingly jealous. (In the last chapter Souya finally gets to be the hero, kinda.)

Other characters include Ikusbe's lifeguard partner who's name I forget. She's an older girl who largely fills the Maria role of being in the background smoothing out edges most of the time.

Some other characters get introduced along the way, most notably Gilbert who's doing silly Wylie Coyote stuff right from the get-go.

I could go into more detail I suppose but that covers the important bits.
Old 2014-01-19, 15:30   Link #9890
MCAL

Much appreciated.
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-19, 18:22   Link #9891
AstroNerdBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmac View Post
Holy Crap New Chapter.

Apparently the answer to "which plot thread are we tackling first?" is ALL OF THEM.

Also, totally called it on the Lifeguard angle.
I did some quick looking. Was it back in November that you called this?

Funny how Hata-sensei keeps bringing in previous ideas/concepts/characters into Hayate the Combat Butler.

Oh, thanks for the Lifeguard info. ^_^

--> AstroNerdBoy on YouTube! - Where I mostly do gaming videos. Help me hit my subscription goals by subscribing today! 😁

--> AstroNerdBoy on Twitch! - Currently, streaming every Friday night at 9pm ET/6pm PT. Impromptu streams when FGO events are going on. Love to see you there! 😆

AstroNerdBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-19, 23:45   Link #9892
Used Can

One question, this beach arc will still be taking place before CTMEOY (considering Nagi still isn't back in the mansion), no?
Old 2014-01-20, 00:44   Link #9893
MCAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
One question, this beach arc will still be taking place before CTMEOY (considering Nagi still isn't back in the mansion), no?
That would be the case.
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-20, 12:30   Link #9894
mitsuganae

Not bad at all. I'm still not looking forward to the inevitable harem antics courtesy of Hinayumu, but whatever.

Oh, and "Is he really that great a guy?" should be asked more often.
mitsuganae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-20, 12:37   Link #9895
Shadow5YA

Did Chiharu really just do that to mess with Hina and Ayumu?
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-20, 20:34   Link #9896
AstroNerdBoy

This beach arc would seem to be where Ah-tan leaves the group since she was MIA in HIAPOE (I recall Athena's teenage form getting a cameo), which took place shortly after the doujinshi arc in the manga.

Speaking of which, I suddenly have an urge to watch that movie again now that the doujinshi arc is over.

--> AstroNerdBoy on YouTube! - Where I mostly do gaming videos. Help me hit my subscription goals by subscribing today! 😁

--> AstroNerdBoy on Twitch! - Currently, streaming every Friday night at 9pm ET/6pm PT. Impromptu streams when FGO events are going on. Love to see you there! 😆

Old 2014-01-21, 23:16   Link #9897
Used Can

I think Athena was absent in CTMEOY as well.
I wonder if the beach arc will conclude her role in the story.
Old 2014-01-22, 08:01   Link #9898
madmac

Athena was in Cuties, not that it counts for anything.

On the other hand Ruka was prominent in all the Manglobe animations despite them taking place after her role in the story ended. Of course it's obvious in retrospect that she was intentionally sequestered from actually interacting with the rest of the cast that whole time which is a bit clever.

I could definitely see The Beach being the arc that wraps things up with Athena though. Finding Ikusa was her last big plot hook along with something something get out of my garden so it would probably not be hard to have her step away after this.

Hina and Ayumu seem determined that now is the time for them to go out swinging, too. On one hand it makes sense that the manga is at the point where it's time to start tying up all the loose ends, but I'm kinda of at a loss at what the last last (Christmas) arc is going to be at this rate. One thing at a time, I suppose.
Old 2014-01-22, 12:16   Link #9899
GDB

Maria will be revealed to be King Midas' reincarnation, or the true spirit/will of the Royal Garden.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-22, 13:00   Link #9900
AstroNerdBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmac View Post
Athena was in Cuties, not that it counts for anything.
Yeah, other than the stuff at the end with Nagi's parents, Cuties isn't canon.

Quote:
On the other hand Ruka was prominent in all the Manglobe animations despite them taking place after her role in the story ended.
Well, having rewatched HIAPOE, the flashback to the doujinshi story does show Ruka sitting behind Nagi. Now that the doujinshi arc is over, Ruka at Yukari-chan House takes a different light. Now, I see that she's over for a visit, gets invited to join them in going to the country, but declines because of concert obligations.

So as I see it, Ruka is staying in contact with Nagi and the girls, but is not in contact with Hayate.

Quote:
Of course it's obvious in retrospect that she was intentionally sequestered from actually interacting with the rest of the cast that whole time which is a bit clever.
I agree. It gave away nothing plot-wise in the manga, but now that Ruka has left Yukari-chan House in the manga, Ruka's roles in the anime make more sense to me.

Quote:
I could definitely see The Beach being the arc that wraps things up with Athena though. Finding Ikusa was her last big plot hook along with something something get out of my garden so it would probably not be hard to have her step away after this.
Which reminds me, now that I have verification on the Lifesavers manga re-release cover, I have to pick that up.

I'm not sure that Athena's role in the manga would be over though after the Beach arc. I can see things happening so that she leaves, setting up things so that she returns for the manga's final arc.

Quote:
Hina and Ayumu seem determined that now is the time for them to go out swinging, too. On one hand it makes sense that the manga is at the point where it's time to start tying up all the loose ends, but I'm kinda of at a loss at what the last last (Christmas) arc is going to be at this rate. One thing at a time, I suppose.
Well, even as things are tied up, as I see it, it doesn't mean that Hina or Ayumu drop out of the story if Hayate ends up rejecting both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Maria will be revealed to be King Midas' reincarnation, or the true spirit/will of the Royal Garden.
*lol* I'll have to remember this in case you are right. ^_^

That does remind me though -- if Athena knew Maria when she was a kid, why didn't Maria recognize Athena in her Ah-tan form? (Or did she and I just am not remembering it?)

Tags
comedy, shounen