AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

View Poll Results: Umineko no Naku Koro ni - Episode 17 Rating
Perfect 10 37 29.13%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 43 33.86%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 33 25.98%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 7.87%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.79%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.79%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.79%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.79%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-10-22, 08:44   Link #41
Strange
Incoherent at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyElizzabeth View Post
Spoiler for moetrice:
so... cute...
Old 2009-10-22, 10:50   Link #42
Kazuki_Kun

QUALITY episode DEEN.. QUALITY..

Spoiler for QUALITY.:
Old 2009-10-22, 10:57   Link #43
Kazuki_Kun

^ Nevermind, didn't realize someone beat me to it xD
Old 2009-10-22, 10:57   Link #44
Kitsu
The unlucky one

That is in between animation, that doesn't count
Old 2009-10-22, 11:11   Link #45
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyElizzabeth View Post
Spoiler for moetrice:
I had to do this:

Spoiler for moetrice:

There is a striking resemblance...

Old 2009-10-22, 11:14   Link #46
Marion
The Great Dine

Guys all in-between animation looks wacky, it's not like it never happened before. QUALITY is only still shots that look unintentionally wacky.

Example of QUALITY:
Spoiler for All in here:

Oh wow Jan-Poo that's incredibly mean XD Especially considering a popular theory involving ponies.
Old 2009-10-22, 11:18   Link #47
MarthX

Lucifer's wardrobe was fixed by magic.
Old 2009-10-22, 11:27   Link #48
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Subs are out.
Old 2009-10-22, 12:50   Link #49
tezu

Beato's sudden change of personality is very surprising. I just can't seem to be able to get used to it. The image of cruel!Beato is stuck in my mind and I can neither understand her current behaviour nor can I believe my eyes that she's really crying and suddenly so nice to Battler ^^;;
Old 2009-10-22, 14:17   Link #50
Strange
Incoherent at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezu View Post
Beato's sudden change of personality is very surprising. I just can't seem to be able to get used to it. The image of cruel!Beato is stuck in my mind and I can neither understand her current behaviour nor can I believe my eyes that she's really crying and suddenly so nice to Battler ^^;;
I don't play the games, so I might be wrong, but I think some of her cruelty was also transferred to Evatrice. It's like in Kinzo's garden, when Rosa first meets Beato--she's a naive, nice girl with a cute smile. It's only when she 'dies' and regains her memories that her cruel nature comes up again. So perhaps the title of the golden witch confers upon the owner of the title some particularly nasty traits.
Old 2009-10-22, 14:33   Link #51
Arbane the Terrible

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezu View Post
I can't be the only fan who liked her better in BWA-HAHAHA! mode, can I?

Edit to add: it seems odd to me that she'd be willing to resurrect Shannon--in both this chapter and the last, Shannon talking about her love for George before her death pretty much guaranteed Beato would go into a ranting fury. Something about the two of them (due to her being held prisoner by Kinzo?) really enrages her. OTOH, she claims it was her magic that got the two of them together in the first place...

And, true to Beato no longer being an Endless Witch, the resurrection only lasted long enough for Shannon to die again.
Old 2009-10-22, 14:52   Link #52
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Good episode. Eva-Beatrice is just plain scary on what she might do to Jessica. I also enjoyed the scene with George and Shannon, as well as Natushi and Krauss. It actualy comes to a point where I know who the heck everyone is. The emotion on this episode is really nicely done, aside from the silly art as usual. 8/10

Though I don't really trust Beatrice's change of heart just yet... Placing trust on her might just be to her own advantage despite her apparent goodwill planned for next episode.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2009-10-22, 16:36   Link #53
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
I really don't like Eva-Beatrice, she's worse than regular Beatrice at her BWA-HA moments.
Old 2009-10-22, 16:38   Link #54
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
I had to do this:

Spoiler for moetrice:

There is a striking resemblance...
*me nods furiously in agreement*

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Old 2009-10-22, 16:44   Link #55
June 1983

I just watched the subs. I ended up giving this episode an 8. The biggest things working against it were a slightly disjointed feeling to the scenes. I don't really have a problem with anything they cut, though I would have liked to see the otherworld when Shannon was resurrected. The transitions were just a bit weird at time, and I felt like some of the dialogue they came up with to summarize the lengthier swathes of text in the VN, such as Eva, Battler, Jessica and Nanjo discovering that George, Krauss, and Natsuhi were gone, weren't very well written. And of course, yes, the Ange mention was clunky and careless at best. Well, we'll see.

Oh, and poor George didn't get his ~I believe I can fly~ moment. However, I suppose that they have driven home the whole "magic is fueled by belief" idea in a number of other instances. Still, for the anime viewers, take note: in the VN, rather than turn into a butterfly, Beatrice actually taught George to fly in order to cross over to the mansion. It was pretty cool.

The only other thing that bugged me was a line they gave Jessica in the next-to-last scene, where she acknowledges, or seems to acknowledge, Eva-B's voice. I swear that wasn't in the VN, though someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I just remember noting to myself while I did my replay a few weeks ago that all of Jessica's dialogue seems to be in response to Nanjo's responses.

Hm, then again. Maybe that line is in there! "That voice" ... regardless of who it really refers to, I would say then that if she heard a voice besides Nanjo's, it was one she was familiar with, and perhaps was surprised to hear?
Old 2009-10-22, 16:55   Link #56
Workworkwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by June 1983 View Post
I just watched the subs. I ended up giving this episode an 8. The biggest things working against it were a slightly disjointed feeling to the scenes. I don't really have a problem with anything they cut, though I would have liked to see the otherworld when Shannon was resurrected. The transitions were just a bit weird at time, and I felt like some of the dialogue they came up with to summarize the lengthier swathes of text in the VN, such as Eva, Battler, Jessica and Nanjo discovering that George, Krauss, and Natsuhi were gone, weren't very well written. And of course, yes, the Ange mention was clunky and careless at best. Well, we'll see.

Oh, and poor George didn't get his ~I believe I can fly~ moment. However, I suppose that they have driven home the whole "magic is fueled by belief" idea in a number of other instances. Still, for the anime viewers, take note: in the VN, rather than turn into a butterfly, Beatrice actually taught George to fly in order to cross over to the mansion. It was pretty cool.

The only other thing that bugged me was a line they gave Jessica in the next-to-last scene, where she acknowledges, or seems to acknowledge, Eva-B's voice. I swear that wasn't in the VN, though someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I just remember noting to myself while I did my replay a few weeks ago that all of Jessica's dialogue seems to be in response to Nanjo's responses.

Hm, then again. Maybe that line is in there! "That voice" ... regardless of who it really refers to, I would say then that if she heard a voice besides Nanjo's, it was one she was familiar with, and perhaps was surprised to hear?
She recognizes there's another voice. Of course, she never actually sees who....
Old 2009-10-22, 17:20   Link #57
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
First thing, when the heck did Battler get a little sister!? Yeah I assume by her age a few years back but the point is only now does this information comes out. You'd think this would be a pretty important concern from Battler's point of view. Another good question is why isn't she there with everyone? As it probably was supposed to this definitely opens up a ton of questions regarding Ange.

I knew the animosity was building up but didn't think it'd get to the point where Beato is going up against Evatrice. Not that I don't think she's wrong in lending help to Jessica just that it's pretty reckless considering her abilities aren't where they were. Plus she's outgunned right now. She still have the goats? Well I suppose since it's turning into a fight the Stakes will switch to the boss they like more. But still the problem comes down to the heavy artillery Siestas. Still this is a very risky move.

At least the Siesta's attack got a better showing this time. Let's face it a complicated firing sequence just to shoot down a straight hallway isn't all that special. Definitely lives up to the reputation of no escape with that shot this time. Definitely the only chance you have is to get them before they fire since the attack is too flexible.

Just impressed with the grief from the characters this time around. I mean everyone pretty much had a strong reaction at some point. Also went along with the continued development for Beato. Sure it's been there a little but after losing her title she's really grown. Finally starting to get it. Has to look at things from a different perspective to those that only have one shot at living. I'm sure she'll be fine if she can survive the actual peril involved with that lunatic Evatrice on a rampage.

While I doubt she'll be saved from death wish the Jessica rescue plan the best of luck. Dying is one thing but going out while in the dark in terror just isn't right. Looks like it might be time for another Kanon last stand.
Old 2009-10-22, 17:30   Link #58
Chadauw

Quote:
First thing, when the heck did Battler get a little sister!? Yeah I assume by her age a few years back but the point is only now does this information comes out. You'd think this would be a pretty important concern from Battler's point of view. Another good question is why isn't she there with everyone? As it probably was supposed to this definitely opens up a ton of questions regarding Ange.
The fact that Battler had a little (half)sister and that she couldn't go to the family conference because she was sick was stated in the very first chapter of the first arc in the VN.

But any allusion to her was cut in the anime.
Old 2009-10-22, 18:31   Link #59
tcaz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
This stuff should have been waaaaaay back in episode 1.

Ange is Battler's 6 year old sister, who was born to Kyrie and Rudolf. She's not at the family conference that year because she got sick the day before.
Old 2009-10-22, 18:49   Link #60
KanonTheFurniture
Witch's Golden Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
First thing, when the heck did Battler get a little sister?!
Exactly. I expect this move is going to confuse a lot of Anime-only viewers, and Battler's entire family situation seems to be made even more murky and suspicious in the Anime. First we don't find out until the last minute that Kyrie isn't Battler's real mom (yes, I know he calls her 'Kyrie-san' and most people would find that a tip off, but we also know Battler went to live away from his father for 6 years, and calls him 'my bastard' and such - refusing to call mom properly could be a similar form of rebellion), and now we don't find out about Ange until a seemingly random moment? In actuality both were explained in the very first chapter of EP1 in the VN. It wouldn't have taken DEEN more than a few seconds, airport scene or no, to throw this into the introductions, but what's past is passed.

Anyways, seen the subs now and can give a proper rating. I'm going for an 8 because I was really pleased, if not as pleased as last week. My only complaint is Jessica vs. Eva because that just looks really wrong. If they wanted to change it, I wouldn't complain that much (in both versions Eva accidentally pulled the trigger because Jessica startled her), but they should have either A) omitted Nanjo blaming the discharge fire (because it so can't be the discharge looking at the Anime) or B) added a little more blood and screaming because Jessica just got shot in the fucking eye. I really wouldn't complain if they had it so Eva actually did hit her, because the end result is the same (Jessica is blinded and even more pissed at Eva), but the fact that they explained it the way it was in the VN but depicted it totally differently.

Voice-wise, this is probably the first episode since 5 that I wasn't thrilled with Ohara's performance. Not that it was bad, but it felt more downplayed here for some reason. Nice!Beato gave me more of a reaction last week. This week I honed in more on Itou's performance, which was really fantastic (except Eva-B's laugh when she confronts Nanjo...is it just me, or does that sound really...weird...?), and Inoue, who did a really great job with Jessica. I thought her panic and voicelessness there at the end really hammered in how terrifying it must be going blind when there's a killer in your midst (especially when you suspect that killer is the one who blinded you, knows you're weakened, and knows they can corner you easily). George's VA (forget the guy's name) did a good job, too. The George/Shannon scene had just as much emotion as the VN if you ask me, even without the whole 'George pulls her from the afterlife' thing.

Very pleased, can't wait for next week. My favorite scene from EP3 and possibly the entire series (tied with something from EP4) is coming up, and it might just be the make-or-break scenario for me. If they succeed, no matter how the fuck up EP4 I probably won't care...if they fail, I'll lose all hope entirely because at this point there's no way the pacing problems will be fixed for this season and EP4 is doomed.
Closed Thread