AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-01-19, 15:07   Link #5461
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
I don't care what any of the polls say was the real issue here. I'm convinced that in the end Coakley will lose this election for one reason and one reason alone, she called Curt Schilling a Yankee fan. Granted most people will probably remember him more for his time with the Phillies than the last few seasons of his career with the Red Socks, but those people aren't Red Socks fans. For Red Socks fans, calling a pitcher that helped them win their first world series in 80 some years a Yankee fan would be like someone calling Reagen a communist to many neo-cons. Sure, people might not admit that's the real reason they won't vote for her, but it is and nothing will convince me otherwise.

not that bad a reason to vote against her. it just show how out of touch she is with the little people and how inept her staff is.
Old 2010-01-19, 16:31   Link #5462
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Has anyone read an application form to be a U.N medical worker? I will share a little something : a couple of the lines under the "I fully understand to the following" disclaimer is "My life will be at risk of infection of BTDs"* and "violence/violent acts in civil unrest"*. If you are part of a government organisation (i.e military) it will also include "I declare myself to willingly serve...." at the end.
None of that means they have an obligation to disobey direct orders every time an occasion to be reckless presents itself.

They requested guards. They got an order to evacuate instead. It was a tough call (if they'd stayed and had been attacked, they'd have lost even more lives.) Maybe they (and I don't even mean the doctors who merely obeyed orders, but those who gave them in the first place) made the wrong one. But it's easy for us to say their fear are exaggerated, and maybe they are, but he aren't there. They are. And they, too, are working on incomplete information. But instead of only prettied up images for the TV, it includes the sound of gunfire in the not-far-enough distance.

Quote:
The U.N doesn't just take in any TD/H. Those guys SIGNED these sort of forms and now they want to pull out.
Please note that they returned the day after.

Quote:
It is bloody ridiculous that their dedication is just limited to gain brownie points to go to their "heaven" or bolster their ego/reputation.

Doing good deeds is a choice, but dropping out halfway is as good as faking the intention in the first place. As much as it is a waste of time and effort, it is downright pathetic to declare that your guts have been ruptured at a certain point when your personal safety, which is supposed to be at risk anytime, is in somewhat dire straits.
It's a false dichotomy. People don't have to be either reckless idiots or gutless cowards. Plenty of room between the two.

Quote:
As much as I want to help out physically, I lack the professional certification and training to do so (other than carrying a firearm and walking around acting cool).
Funny you should say that, it's exactly what those guys were missing. Some goons to put between them and potential riots. So, when are you leaving?
Old 2010-01-19, 16:39   Link #5463
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
None of that means they have an obligation to disobey direct orders every time an occasion to be reckless presents itself.

They requested guards. They got an order to evacuate instead. It was a tough call (if they'd stayed and had been attacked, they'd have lost even more lives.) Maybe they (and I don't even mean the doctors who merely obeyed orders, but those who gave them in the first place) made the wrong one. But it's easy for us to say their fear are exaggerated, and maybe they are, but he aren't there. They are. And they, too, are working on incomplete information. But instead of only prettied up images for the TV, it includes the sound of gunfire in the not-far-enough distance.

Please note that they returned the day after.

It's a false dichotomy. People don't have to be either reckless idiots or gutless cowards. Plenty of room between the two.

Funny you should say that, it's exactly what those guys were missing. Some goons to put between them and potential riots. So, when are you leaving?
Actually the UN did not order the doctors to leave. The UN offer to evacuate the medical team when the medical team ask for security but did not order anyone to leave.
Old 2010-01-19, 20:19   Link #5464
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Out of curiosity, would you vote for Brown (as a hypothetical MA representative) based on what he could do for your state? Or, because you want to break a House majority (and other non-state issues), etc? Or, simply because you might (hypothetically) dislike the seemingly ineffective (definitely ineffectual) Coakley?
D) all of the above.
Old 2010-01-19, 21:18   Link #5465
mg1942

Dems really neglected MA senate race... to the point that obama's forced to salvage coakley.

Scott Brown's victory could be the template for future republican victories.
Old 2010-01-19, 21:25   Link #5466
cors8
Kuu-chan is hungry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post
Dems really neglected MA senate race... to the point that obama's forced to salvage coakley.

It'd also be a template for what Democrats shouldn't do. It didn't seem like she even wanted to win and just expected the seat to be hers.
Old 2010-01-19, 21:34   Link #5467
Autumn Demon
~

For a while I've wondered which state is the most liberal in America, Massachusetts or Vermont. Now I know it's Vermont.

Will be interesting to see how well Scott Brown does for the next few years. If he turns into a centrist (which he isn't now) he may end up like the Maine Republican Senators who never lose elections.
Old 2010-01-19, 21:39   Link #5468
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

bill clinton needs to sent Obama a msg that is true today as it was back in 1994.

it is the "Economic Stupid"
Old 2010-01-19, 21:47   Link #5469
justinstrife

Hopefully Brown's winning by over 100k votes in one of the most liberal states in the country, will force the Democrats in power to scuttle the Healthcare Reform bill and start over from scratch instead of trying to ram what they have down our throats.
Old 2010-01-19, 22:02   Link #5470
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Hopefully Brown's winning by over 100k votes in one of the most liberal states in the country, will force the Democrats in power to scuttle the Healthcare Reform bill and start over from scratch instead of trying to ram what they have down our throats.
what's the point, no real legislation will be passed, shill legislation helping to solidify the insurance companies monopolies won't do much. Might as well deregulate and just give into Ike's fears. And in my opinion ike was probably one of the best presidents this century.
Old 2010-01-19, 22:06   Link #5471
Haruka_Kitten
The AnimeSuki Pet kitten
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Haruka_Kitten Send a message via Yahoo to Haruka_Kitten
Melbourne's got it's new transport minister, but I don't care because:

Commuters using fake names to register for myki transport smartcard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commuters using fake names to register for myki transport smartcard
One wit sent a myki card to the Herald Sun registered with the name Useless Mongrel

It came with a letter from Transport Ticketing Authority chief executive Gary Thwaites that began: "Dear Useless, welcome to myki."
Hah, if I knew that (and weren't getting my mail screened) I'd have registered as a Mr. Edward Elric or a Kyo Sohma
Old 2010-01-19, 22:18   Link #5472
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post

I heard that for both sides, there was a massive flood of money spent on advertising since the start of the new year. Brown apparently spent US$1.3 million over 24 hours on an on-line campaign; considering that he (1) only had $367,150 in his campaign account on January 1st and (2) likely had more than $1.3 million added since, contributions were coming fast and furious, it seems. Coakley also benefited from contributions from, for example, abortion rights activists (Emily's List) and unions (SEIU). The lobbyists for the health care industry were also raising funds for her - although I'm not sure if they were also hedging their bets by giving to Brown's campaign at the same time.

Were the Republicans in MA campaigning for Brown much more heavily than the Democrats?

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
Old 2010-01-19, 22:49   Link #5473
Autumn Demon
~

Brown himself campaigned much more heavily than Coakley who didn't want to stand outside in the cold to shake people's hands.
Old 2010-01-19, 23:10   Link #5474
justinstrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Demon View Post
Brown himself campaigned much more heavily than Coakley who didn't want to stand outside in the cold to shake people's hands.

Old 2010-01-19, 23:19   Link #5475
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

The Mass. Senate race is one reason why I think we really need senatorial term limits. Whatever you thought of Ted Kennedy, perhaps if he hadn't been guaranteed his seat for almost half a century, then the Mass. Dems wouldn't have taken it for granted and considered it "theirs".

Now the righties in the Pat Robertson crowd are going to say this is the end result of a divine "just as planned" gambit starting with Ted's death and that this was all God's will. Speaking of Rev. Foot-in-Mouth; did you hear what he said about the Haiti earthquake today? Yeah...
Old 2010-01-19, 23:30   Link #5476
mg1942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Demon View Post

word......

The people of MA beat a candidate that got on the ticket simply because she paid her dues to the machine, a candidate that really didn't hold any appeal to the general voter, especially to those that remember her from her prosecuter days... a MA machine that is not what it once was...this basically signals that Bulger's old machine is done now....that was the machine that ran MA politics at the local levels. At the end of the day that's what I take away from Brown's election.

Last edited by mg1942; 2010-01-19 at 23:41.
Old 2010-01-20, 00:10   Link #5477
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
And this I hope happens heartily. We may disagree on what the government should be doing ... but the bill outrages small "c" conservatives and progressives alike in that it simply served the mega-corps who bought out the Senate (and possibly Obama and his staff).
Corporate Left and Corporate Right look exactly the same to me....
Old 2010-01-20, 00:24   Link #5478
cors8
Kuu-chan is hungry

Hopefully, there'll also be reforms on Senate rules. It's pretty ridiculous to require 60 votes to even consider a bill. Gives too much power to a few Senators.

It's just amazing how even the threat of a filibuster forces so many stupid changes in a bill to appease a few Senators who'll vote against it anyway.
Old 2010-01-20, 00:34   Link #5479
iLney

Agreed. Let's burn the current Constitution and learn from the Chinese.
Old 2010-01-20, 00:51   Link #5480
Autumn Demon
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by cors8 View Post
Hopefully, there'll also be reforms on Senate rules.
Better yet get rid of the Senate. And the Canadian Senate. And the Australian Senate. And the Japanese Senate. They all serve no purpose but to get in the way of more representative lower houses of legislatures.

I do hope healthcare reform still passes. It would be appalling if Paul Kirk continues to vote, but Democrats have other options. The best thing to do is for the House to pass the bill the Senate passed without any changes, which wouldn't require another Senate vote. Then they could make changes to it using reconciliation.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international