AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series > Upcoming Archive

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2017-08-04, 20:30   Link #101
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

If UQ just gets a neat, faithful adaptation it's already way ahead of the game by Negima standards.
Old 2017-08-05, 10:23   Link #102
MisaoFan
Prefectural Magical Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
If UQ just gets a neat, faithful adaptation it's already way ahead of the game by Negima standards.
Considering how manga adaptations went these days, that wouldn't be much of an hard accomplishment, even though I feel concerned on how Akamatsu will supervise the scripts.
Old 2017-08-05, 17:42   Link #103
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapoleonDeCheese View Post
The continued lack of any male characters original to UQ but Touta and the tight promotional focus on the four main girls (Kuro included) keep selling this as The Touta and His Harem Show rather than an action series, which is... troubling. It's like the lesson of Negima's shows failing because there was too much generic harem and not enough action was not learned at all. Hoping the actual series isn't like that again.
The failings of the Negima animes had less to do with the harem aspect (especially with the SHAFT version being more fantasy focused than harem-like) and more to do with the shows thinking that the main focus point of Negima is the concept of a homeroom of 31 female students with their own unique personality (as the story quality of the SHAFT version began to go down once everyone learned about Negi's secret and the focus shifted towards almost every girl screen time in each episode).
Old 2017-08-05, 18:02   Link #104
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

That's a concern, yes. If the anime itself twists the narrative to match the focus of the PV (i.e. de-emphasize or outright cut most of the main male characters and play the series as a straight harem) I'll bail on it quickly. But this sort of slant to promotion is common - it doesn't necessarily mean that's going to happen with the show itself.
Old 2017-08-05, 18:15   Link #105
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
That's a concern, yes. If the anime itself twists the narrative to match the focus of the PV (i.e. de-emphasize or outright cut most of the main male characters and play the series as a straight harem) I'll bail on it quickly. But this sort of slant to promotion is common - it doesn't necessarily mean that's going to happen with the show itself.
The PV looked like it was from mostly one episode so I don't think you need to worry much on that score.

What worries me is that the PV didn't give me much of an idea on the animation so I can't really get a grasp of what to expect from the series on that front, and considering that the director was the same person from Sword Oratoria, which was a huge waste of potential...

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Old 2017-08-06, 01:17   Link #106
Team Rocket Elite

I don't really agree with the complaint that they are intentionally leaving male characters out of promotional material. All the main male characters from the first few chapters are in the promo material.
Old 2017-08-06, 05:33   Link #107
tsunade666

nice pv but seriously, I'm not that much interest. i collected the books just because it's someone related/sequel to enigma but i only read first chapter and didn't even focus much on it before I let it collect dust on my shelf. still, collecting it and will probably.... watch it if i had free time.
Old 2017-08-06, 15:22   Link #108
NapoleonDeCheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Rocket Elite View Post
I don't really agree with the complaint that they are intentionally leaving male characters out of promotional material. All the main male characters from the first few chapters are in the promo material.
In the first few chapters, pretty much the only male character we see is Touta, other than his classmates and that evil all along teacher, none of whom shows up in what we've seen, although I'm reasonably confident they'll get their minor, plot convenient roles before being punted out as in the manga.

Then the next important male character we see is Jinbei (again, not showing up in any promos yet), then Ikkuu (ditto), then the immortal hunters (who, despite being the actual first team the heroes battle, are completely ignored in the promotions over Ala Alba, who show up MUCH later). Only then we get Fate, our second listed male character after Touta.

Then we get Santa, who doesn't show up at all here, even in the pic depicting the confrontation against Ala Alba he and Ikkuu were a part of in the manga (maybe balancing it out a bit, Cutlass is also conspicuous by her absence).
Old 2017-08-06, 16:39   Link #109
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
In the first few chapters, pretty much the only male character we see is Touta, other than his classmates and that evil all along teacher, none of whom shows up in what we've seen, although I'm reasonably confident they'll get their minor, plot convenient roles before being punted out as in the manga.

Then the next important male character we see is Jinbei (again, not showing up in any promos yet), then Ikkuu (ditto), then the immortal hunters (who, despite being the actual first team the heroes battle, are completely ignored in the promotions over Ala Alba, who show up MUCH later). Only then we get Fate, our second listed main character after Touta.

Then we get Santa, who doesn't show up at all here, even in the pic depicting the confrontation against Ala Alba he and Ikkuu were a part of in the manga (maybe balancing it out a bit, Cutlass is also conspicuous by her absence).
Yeah, it does feel like the promo material seems to focus too much on both the girls in Touta's life and the Negima cast.

To be frank, the Ala Alba confrontation (as well as the manga being referred to as "Negima 2") is the main thing that caused me to lose interest in UQ Holder, as it really feels as if the manga has been getting the amount of fans that it was hoping for and thus went this route as an act of desperation.
Old 2017-08-07, 02:14   Link #110
Sage Shinigami

Send a message via AIM to Sage Shinigami Send a message via Yahoo to Sage Shinigami
Eh, they're focusing on a lot of characters that wouldn't even be in the first arc of the story. The beginning was Touta and his goofy high school friends, the rest weren't really around. This makes me think they're going to go way off-script with it.
Old 2017-08-07, 13:46   Link #111
MisaoFan
Prefectural Magical Girl

New key visual:
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2017-08-07, 13:53   Link #112
Hata
時の異邦人

Quote:
The continued lack of any male characters original to UQ but Touta and the tight promotional focus on the four main girls (Kuro included) keep selling this as The Touta and His Harem Show rather than an action series, which is... troubling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
The PV looked like it was from mostly one episode so I don't think you need to worry much on that score.
late comer, but one thing I need to make it clear, the PV out right now is for the UQH OAD which comes with the limited edition book #14, it is NOT the PV for the TV series. the OAD is basically UQH episode ZERO, and mainly deal with onsen in the story. thus the fan service heavy tilt,

another thing I did not see anyone mention? they are going to reuse Happy Material as the OP for UQH.
Old 2017-08-07, 20:28   Link #113
Twi

The Negima characters in the key visual are a draw.
Old 2017-08-07, 21:25   Link #114
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hata View Post
late comer, but one thing I need to make it clear, the PV out right now is for the UQH OAD which comes with the limited edition book #14, it is NOT the PV for the TV series. the OAD is basically UQH episode ZERO, and mainly deal with onsen in the story. thus the fan service heavy tilt,
That explains a lot.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Old 2017-08-08, 06:16   Link #115
Sage Shinigami

Send a message via AIM to Sage Shinigami Send a message via Yahoo to Sage Shinigami
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaoFan View Post
New key visual:
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
This is concerning. I love UQH's blatant ties to the Negima era (that story wasn't done yet), but those ties took dozens of chapters to really establish. The stuff in this visual doesn't happen until like the last 20-30 chapters of a 100+ chapter story.

Please don't botch this adaptation...you already ruined Negima.
Old 2017-08-08, 06:48   Link #116
RDNexus

Given that the Anime announcement didn't show up before UQ Holder! gained the "Mahou Sensei Negima! 2" subtitle, I wouldn't be much surprised if they actually tried to rush the first part of the story only to promote this current part of the Manga, as a Season Final Battle or something. Be afraid, very afraid.

You can download it here. Feedback is welcome. I hope you like it.
Old 2017-08-08, 06:51   Link #117
MisaoFan
Prefectural Magical Girl

Will the 2-cour format even work assuming they'll actually follow the manga in the right pace?

Because as of now, Negima! truly is the Berserk of harem genre as far anime adaptations go (i.e butchered).
Old 2017-08-08, 07:23   Link #118
MisaoFan
Prefectural Magical Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
considering that the director was the same person from Sword Oratoria, which was a huge waste of potential...
He did direct HenNeko and ShimoSeka though but those are comedy-oriented at best.
Old 2017-08-08, 14:00   Link #119
Sage Shinigami

Quote:
Will the 2-cour format even work assuming they'll actually follow the manga in the right pace?

Because as of now, Negima! truly is the Berserk of harem genre as far anime adaptations go (i.e butchered).
Negima is like...ten percent harem, 90 percent battle shonen. So's UQ Holder. But apparently Japan just won't let me win.
Old 2017-08-08, 16:04   Link #120
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:

Only difference: at least the first Berserk anime was decent.