AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > School Days

Notices

View Poll Results: School Days - Episode 12 [END] Rating
Perfect 10 231 49.89%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 60 12.96%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 38 8.21%
7 out of 10 : Good 30 6.48%
6 out of 10 : Average 10 2.16%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 5 1.08%
4 out of 10 : Poor 11 2.38%
3 out of 10 : Bad 11 2.38%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 5 1.08%
1 out of 10 : Painful 62 13.39%
Voters: 463. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-09-28, 06:31   Link #401
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

Well lets get back to the original topic which was delayed for about 10 pages .

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=313.

Old 2007-09-28, 06:34   Link #402
hipeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormenk View Post
I agree with Koto going haywire killing Sekai but wtf? chopping off your dearest boyfriend's head to bring along to kill his killer and then the gutting was done purely for shock value
well it's not just for shock value, Kotonoha has perfect reason of gutting Sekai. She can't accept the fact that Sekai got something from Makoto that she never got : a baby. So she wants to make sure that Sekai didn't get it.

The head thing is just proof of how much she's obsessed with Makoto, we have seen similar things in other animes, movies, and whatnot. She can't carry his whole body with her, so head is fine for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kang Seung Jae View Post
A "practical" rapist.
okay, now I guess I understand your take on 'practical rape". so no more argument here
Old 2007-09-28, 06:36   Link #403
Benny1
Friendly Manga Editor

Send a message via AIM to Benny1 Send a message via MSN to Benny1
Man, the only issue with this ending is that Makoto doesn't just sit there while he dies. Honestly, that is what made the Good Ending of the original. However, the rest of it, its sheer bravado, tops the original best end, and this is now the new BEST END. Perfect 10.
Old 2007-09-28, 06:50   Link #404
Tormenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipeach View Post
well it's not just for shock value, Kotonoha has perfect reason of gutting Sekai. She can't accept the fact that Sekai got something from Makoto that she never got : a baby. So she wants to make sure that Sekai didn't get it.

The head thing is just proof of how much she's obsessed with Makoto, we have seen similar things in other animes, movies, and whatnot. She can't carry his whole body with her, so head is fine for her.
Well thanks for your explanation. It does seem plausible now after reading it.

Most of the reactions to the ending I have been seeing so far is

"Go to hell, you bastard and you deserved it"

"WOW GREAT ENDING I LOVE IT 10/10 !!!!!!!!"

"Bloody, gory but I'm glad Makoto is dead"

"Are you afraid of change? Or are you afraid to change?"

"Wheel turns, river flows and life goes on."

"Best way to kill a man, is to leave him alone."

"Until you come, until we close our eyes."

Old 2007-09-28, 06:55   Link #405
Perishthethought

The ending is supposed to be beyond the pale - it is supposed to push you so far you can't help but laugh at it. It's seriously depraved but they want you to recognise that fact, the fact that it is their intention to shock you, and find humour in it. The final scene has a girl sailing off into the sunset with the decapitated head of the object of her affections, whispering sweet nothings into his lifeless lugholes. Just read that back again to yourself and ask yourself whether or not you are meant to take that seriously. I mean come on!

It's almost as though the writers are letting you off the hook after the (relatively) believable murder of Makoto. It's tension and release - it never gets too harrowing or realistic to upset or frighten you because it's conciously over the top - you're meant to be aware of the fact that they're pushing the boundaries of belief. The head in the bag?! Come on! It's like the foursome in episode 11. Moments like these are signifiers to the viewer to relax, put the brakes on, and not to take it too seriously. They're giving you every opportunity to detach yourself from procedings in order to understand the intention of the writers - that what you are watching is not some sort of meaningful character-driven piece of straight-faced drama but a mockery of the genre, an exercise in throwing together an unlikeable set of scumbags and letting them all murder each other. It's nothing more than a catharsis for everyone who has always held the harem genre in the lowest regard.
Old 2007-09-28, 06:58   Link #406
CJL13
God of his own ego

So in the end after all this most of the stuff that happened was all a ploy by Kotohana to get closer to Makoto, besides him getting killed off, but she got her revenge. Where's the "Just as planned" look for Koto?
Old 2007-09-28, 07:03   Link #407
hipeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perishthethought View Post
It's nothing more than a catharsis for everyone who has always held the harem genre in the lowest regard.
It's more like pulling characters from other harem shows without some forced miraculous plot-device to save the main characters, and shows how harems should really end up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL13 View Post
So in the end after all this most of the stuff that happened was all a ploy by Kotohana to get closer to Makoto, besides him getting killed off, but she got her revenge. Where's the "Just as planned" look for Koto?
huh? where do you get this idea?
Old 2007-09-28, 07:08   Link #408
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
The ending is supposed to be beyond the pale - it is supposed to push you so far you can't help but laugh at it. It's seriously depraved but they want you to recognise that fact, the fact that it is their intention to shock you, and find humour in it. The final scene has a girl sailing off into the sunset with the decapitated head of the object of her affections, whispering sweet nothings into his lifeless lugholes. Just read that back again to yourself and ask yourself whether or not you are meant to take that seriously. I mean come on!
Though it deeply touched me how mentally screwed up kotonoha is at that point - I tried to make a big joke out of it...

didnt work...
Quote:
It's almost as though the writers are letting you off the hook after the (relatively) believable murder of Makoto. It's tension and release - it never gets too harrowing or realistic to upset or frighten you because it's conciously over the top - you're meant to be aware of the fact that they're pushing the boundaries of belief. The head in the bag?! Come on! It's like the foursome in episode 11. Moments like these are signifiers to the viewer to relax, put the brakes on, and not to take it too seriously. They're giving you every opportunity to detach yourself from procedings in order to understand the intention of the writers - that what you are watching is not some sort of meaningful character-driven piece of straight-faced drama but a mockery of the genre, an exercise in throwing together an unlikeable set of scumbags and letting them all murder each other. It's nothing more than a catharsis for everyone who has always held the harem genre in the lowest regard.
Im not to sure about that really...while on one hand it does seem plausible that the head thing is an act out of disbelief - on the other hand things as sick as this do happen around the world. Even in the news i have heard gruesome stories about how x person was decapitated in a case of murder and stored in a freezer (some odd years ago).

For here it is clear the reason why kotonoha did what she did. she has completely lost all parts of her mind seeing the dead body of makoto as she entered his home and at this point what do you think she would be thinking? my guess that he sanity has finally snapped and should have been admitted into a mental institute but meh - there wernt any doctora around

she decapitated his head and took him to see sekai for one last time - basically at this point she has already gone psycho - and like what she did at xmas (talking to makoto's answering machine) she believes that there is still life in that head of his and feels at peace that she can be together with him forever - after all the crap that has been on i guess this was her only way to feel free.

while this whole event seems over the top to the extreme it can happen. with so many sickos out there who knows what someone else may do?

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-09-28, 07:16   Link #409
Tormenk

Lets hope no one emulates the killings from School Days. >.<

Old 2007-09-28, 07:36   Link #410
Darkside

Send a message via AIM to Darkside
Sekai was genius in her killing method. Sending such a long text message to keeping Makoto occupied. I was like wow
Old 2007-09-28, 08:04   Link #411
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormenk View Post

I agree with Koto going haywire killing Sekai but wtf? chopping off your dearest boyfriend's head to bring along to kill his killer and then the gutting was done purely for shock value, even if it doesn't seem so among the majority.

Jeffrey Dahmer killed then chopped his victims's bodies, ate some part of them and keep some other parts (like the head or the hands) because he did not want to be separated from them. Some nazi officers made lampshades out of the skin of the people they executed, etc...

I mean, even in real life there were a lot of shit done by persons that people would rather not imagine.

I can name a few movies, like the Italian movie Buio Omega, that were as disturbing as School Days finale could be, if not more.

These last years seems to have anime trying to push the limit of what could be shown in the realm of graphic violence. Almost ten years ago, just when I thought that the Eva movie was the pinacle of graphic (and gratuitous) violence, Berserk then Higurashi [Higurashi spoiler removed by a moderator] came to crush my conceptions. Higurashi and School Days had much more impact on me than the two former shows ever had, because it sort of remind me that such things can be done by humans as ordinary as your neighbor. (and I emphasize on "by humans")
Is it a cheap way for a show to gain fame? Only time can judge.
Old 2007-09-28, 08:16   Link #412
Tormenk

The darker parts of humans I prefer to keep at the back of my mind but yes I do get your point.

I haven't watch Berserk or Higurashi yet but with this last scene in School Days felt too out of line. Pushing the envelope indeed.

Mostly I just feel the killings were done poorly. Even after all the underlying explanations possible.

Edit:

Also the response from the viewers at the killings. It just shows desensitivation at such blatant violence as well.

Old 2007-09-28, 08:20   Link #413
Perishthethought

Just because something has occured within the real world it doesn't make the rendering of it in an anime somehow more legitimate. Foursomes occur in the real world, but the addition of it into the anime somehow doesn't make it seem somehow more realistic. Ask yourselves why they included such graphic violence, why they had such a comical scene at the end. They certainly did not make this anime to somehow explicate the depths of madness or provide some sort of insight into the human condition. They did it to shock, nothing more, nothing less. The fact that so many people are left with an inability to decide how they feel about this anime is testament to the fact that it has deliberately confused people by throwing curve balls every step of the way, and the murders are no different, just the biggest of the lot.

Regarding the desensitising effect - that's completely intended. People were baying for blood because they wanted to people to readjust their attitudes to the players in erogames who try and bang every available character - they're despised when rendered in anime form. The violence and bloody conclusion was purposely over the top to reflect such an attitude. This is what I mean about various signifiers throughout the series in order to detach yourself and enjoy the fallout - the foursome was the most graphic. They were all meant to push you over the edge - they were the aforementioned curveballs delivered after such an immaculate beginning with the type of character development typical of the harem genre.

Just take a look at how different and above all, typical the first few episodes are there. The fact that they pulled it off with such aplomb should tell you something about the contempt they have for such the genre.

Last edited by Perishthethought; 2007-09-28 at 08:26. Reason: Added some more.
Old 2007-09-28, 08:21   Link #414
changeup

The murdering scenes in the last episode are not as realistic as in the game. Nonetheless, they are beautiful and impressive, so I will give a pass to them. The "nice boat" scene is especially romantic and pictureesque.

I would like to sacrifice a little practicality for art... and I guess a less real murdering scene may be a little easier to accept than an imitation of a real murder......
Old 2007-09-28, 08:21   Link #415
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

I would like to remind people that not everyone has seen Higurashi, so any information about the show must be placed under properly labeled spoiler tags. Further neglect of the spoiler rule might have some consequences
Old 2007-09-28, 08:26   Link #416
changeup

Huh, how to apply the spoiler tag? Sorry I am newbie here...
Old 2007-09-28, 08:29   Link #417
Skane
Anime Snark

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
You need to update your sigpic
Indeed I do.

Will probably update it again when I can get an encode based on the DVD where the blood will be red.

Cheers.
Old 2007-09-28, 08:39   Link #418
Perishthethought

I thought it was odd that Kotonoha sawed off Makoto's head immediately, so she must have been carrying the saw with her when she went to his apartment. Was she going to do it anyway?
Old 2007-09-28, 08:41   Link #419
changeup

In the orginal game, that saw was in the platform of Makoto's home. I think in TV series it was in the same place.

Quote:
I thought it was odd that Kotonoha sawed off Makoto's head immediately, so she must have been carrying the saw with her when she went to his apartment. Was she going to do it anyway?
Old 2007-09-28, 08:43   Link #420
Perishthethought

Ah, resourceful girl.
Closed Thread