AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Darker Than Black

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-10-18, 00:57   Link #1
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
The Syndicate, the Dolls, and the Contractors

There are a lot of things we can discuss about these entities, and their activities coincide with each other even though the motif are not always clear. The thread here is to accomodate such discussion that may arise during the course of this series. Here are in the following a brief description to both of these entities:

The Syndicate:
An unknown organization that has worldwide influence, its human and contractor agents operate only by word of mouth. However, the Syndicate turns out to be made up of members coming from various intelligence agencies from the American CIA, British MI-6 to the Russian FSB and the Japanese Tokyo Metropolitan Public Security Bureau. They were also responsible for trying to eliminating Hell's Gate in Tokyo, being in control of PANDORA all along with agents infiltrating every aspect of the institute.
Contractors:
No one knows where they came from. Only known and to be working for intelligence agencies, world governments, criminal and terrorist organizations, they first appeared in Brazil where they fought for various groups before and after Heaven's Gate disappeared. Their powers existed after Hell's Gate and Heaven's Gate appeared in Japan and Brazil. They have varying supernatural powers that must be paid at the end of their use.
Dolls:
Emotionless "mediums" created to mimic the forms of humans. Dolls can form a variety of functions; the most commonly seen in the series is their use of observer spirits, which serve as reconnaissance. Dolls have different mediums through which they can send their observer spirits and must be in contact with this medium while observing; for example, Yin's medium is water, through which she can send her observer spirit anywhere else there is water. A Doll can also act as the perfect sleeper agent. It can be given the memories and personality of another person and assume a person's personality perfectly, mimicking all their habits, dreams, and feelings until the time is right.

However, there were some cases when the Dolls were able to gain some human emotion.

Last edited by Yu Ominae; 2009-11-07 at 01:41.
Old 2009-10-18, 19:50   Link #2
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Is this not merely the setting from S1. The syndicate may have influence and some organization/individuals may be working for it, even if they don't know it, but a lot of different key organization still act as independent (rival) groups, and a lot of orders certainly doesn't filter though the organization.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
The Syndicate:
An unknown organization[1] that has worldwide influence, its human and contractor agents operate only by word of mouth[citation needed]. However, the Syndicate turns out to be made up of members coming from various intelligence agencies from the American CIA, British MI-6 to the Russian FSB and the Japanese Tokyo Metropolitan Public Security Bureau[citation needed]. They were also responsible for trying to eliminating Hell's Gate in Tokyo, being in control of PANDORA all along[citation needed] with agents infiltrating every aspect of the institute[citation needed][Q1].
Contractors:
No one knows where they came from.[2] Only known and to be working for intelligence agencies, world governments, criminal and terrorist organizations[citation needed][Q2], they first appeared in Brazil where they fought for various groups before and after Heaven's Gate disappeared. Their powers existed after Hell's Gate and Heaven's Gate appeared in Japan and Brazil. They have varying supernatural powers that must be paid at the end of their use.
1 The "organization" or "syndicate" is referred to as being a world wide union of individuals in high government or otherwise influential position. Among their objectives, the destruction of the group known as "Contractors."
2 Contractors (and Dolls) are born as normal human beings. At one point in their life they manifest their powers, resulting in most cases in a personality change. Cases of humans turning into contractors as a result of some supernatural event or contractors passing their powers, exist.

Questionable,

Q1 If they are infiltrating every aspect of the institute, that would mean everyone there is working for them, which in turn would mean the mission to infiltrate the agency would be nothing but a exercise in pointlessness.
Q2 Contractors with apparently little or no organization were seen independently attacking PANDORA soldiers, as a result of information leaked.
Old 2009-10-18, 20:03   Link #3
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Probably true, but this is the general background of the two IMO. Some of the info you pointed out are shown later in the 1st season, although you can point that out as well.

Oh course, feel free to disagree further. What what was there.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2009-10-19, 00:41   Link #4
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Dont forget the fact that...

One contractor is being indicated as one star in the false sky.
And the Japan police even have their own astronomy division to observe the sky...

CMIIW
Old 2009-10-19, 04:48   Link #5
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

According to the series "there is no way to tell a contractor" in the series. Though based on events I could probably think of one way: get the target and stick it into a room; have a surveillance specter appear on the left or right and a hologram resembling the specter appear on the opposite side (based on a random criteria); the subject needs to identify where the apparition is a controlled number of times. Getting it wrong even once means the subject is not a normal human (Contractors would need to guess, humans would see only the hologram).
Old 2009-10-22, 00:01   Link #6
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Hmm...

But that scientist woman says that there is no way to tell a contractor from normal being.
I take that, there is no specific sign of being a Contractor, except that their point of view is being changed completely.

Case like: Tanya and that fire girl from eps 3-4.
They just lost their emotions. And for people who just knew them, they looked like some cold, egoistic person.

Even Misaki cant recognize Wei Zhijun as a contractor eventhough she has already met him several times.

CMIIW...
Old 2009-10-22, 00:11   Link #7
Strange
Incoherent at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
According to the series "there is no way to tell a contractor" in the series. Though based on events I could probably think of one way: get the target and stick it into a room; have a surveillance specter appear on the left or right and a hologram resembling the specter appear on the opposite side (based on a random criteria); the subject needs to identify where the apparition is a controlled number of times. Getting it wrong even once means the subject is not a normal human (Contractors would need to guess, humans would see only the hologram).
Logic in anime??? What is this nonsense!
Old 2009-10-22, 05:58   Link #8
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange View Post
Logic in anime??? What is this nonsense!
And your problem is what exactly?
Old 2009-10-24, 01:47   Link #9
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma Denton View Post

And the Japan police even have their own astronomy division to observe the sky...

CMIIW
Noo... You're wrong.

They link up with the National Astronomical Observatory to give the Public Security Bureau intel on the contractors.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2009-10-28, 04:45   Link #10
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

Question. What the hell is the Stargazer-sama? She just babbling nonsense at the end of season 1...
Old 2009-10-28, 09:39   Link #11
Tsuchi

I don't think there's much info regarding her in the main anime series (I still don't know if there's any side material published with additional info, anyone can tell us?), she just seems to be a, uh, witch sitting there as the boss of the observatory or something like that. Her figure is shrouded in mystery and I suppose the fact that we know nothing about her and that she continuously speaks in riddles makes the fact worse (or better?).
Old 2009-10-28, 22:59   Link #12
orangejuicetang

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did we ever learn what happens to Contracters who don't pay their renumeration?

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
Old 2009-10-29, 08:43   Link #13
Zantetsuken

Does a contractor have any other power besides their "power"? Like enhanced strength etc etc
Old 2009-10-29, 08:49   Link #14
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangejuicetang View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but did we ever learn what happens to Contracters who don't pay their renumeration?
I've been wondering that myself. I don't think we did. The only contractor I remember not paying his renumeration was November 11 and that was when he knew he was dying so he didn't bother since he hated it so much.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Old 2009-10-29, 09:33   Link #15
Kyosuke_Nanbu

The old woman in the National Astronomical Observatory station is a DOLLSo she can't be the boss there
Maybe her power of observation is making prophecy

I don't think they just link up because they have so many Doll thereMaybe they don't just observe the Contractor activities but another things happen in Tokyo for Gov
Old 2009-10-29, 10:07   Link #16
Tsuchi

Quote:
Does a contractor have any other power besides their "power"? Like enhanced strength etc etc
I don't think so. That's part of the interest, too; do you see them perform incredible stunts that couldn't be made without a good enough training? Hei may jump from here to there with his cord, but it's not like he has superhuman strength nor godlike agility. The same goes for the rest of the contractors. Did the singer have any special ability apart from the powers she got through the contract? What about Suou? So no, I don't think they're enhanced.
Quote:
The old woman in the National Astronomical Observatory station is a DOLLSo she can't be the boss there
Maybe her power of observation is making prophecy
A doll? Oh, seems like I forgot something that fundamental, lol. Still, her utility is vital, so I suppose she's under the direct supervision of the bosses there... Somewhat. Anyway, thanks.

Oh, and now that we are talking about remunerations, what was Hei's?
Old 2009-10-29, 10:44   Link #17
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuchi View Post
Oh, and now that we are talking about remunerations, what was Hei's?
According to Amber, Hei does not have a renumeration because his powers were transferred to him from his sister. Hei did not become a contractor through the usual method. (Whatever that may be. I don't think we know yet how or why some people become contractors in the first place.)

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Old 2009-10-30, 21:09   Link #18
blewin

What about Amber's group? I don't believe it's totally disintegrated at the end of first season...

Chrome Shelled Regios
Old 2009-10-30, 21:34   Link #19
Strange
Incoherent at best.

I thought Evening Primrose mustered out with their full strength to attack PANDORA, and pretty much got wiped out. I can't recall anyone making it out alive, with, maybe, that naked teleporter woman and... that's about it.
Old 2009-10-31, 01:06   Link #20
Intranetusa
Pedites Extraordinarii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
That's actually a great idea.
Reminds me of the replicant-test from Blade Runner. =)
Closed Thread