AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2013-08-15, 13:04   Link #2421
Gx Hero
Rambler

Ok I agree, but the way the Nanoha series is built would work better with fewer charecters. I think if the TSab had during A's and strikers been established on earth that it could have helped, especialy since they could have brought in the old cast like arisa and suzuka. Such as Suzuka taking Shari's place at riot six.

As for the faceless drones I think they did that because iti s military and to keep the gore down by having mechanical enimes to destroy. Though they could have as easily introduced the cyborgs earlier and given them more screen time, then it could have been more like A"s.

The emotions from fighting the cyborgs. THough in the end I think that Strikers Could have been far better than it is.

Heck they could have put arisa on the stars squad since she may of had magic since probaly o one checked. Debatable of course.
Gx Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-15, 19:36   Link #2422
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

The enlarged cast shouldn't have been a problem since they have twice the amount of episodes compared to previous seasons. Unfortunately, StrikerS pacing was attrociusly slow even by anime standards (still better than Dragonball, but that's not saying much). For example, the training arc could have been a training montage, giving more time for the actual ass-kicking, and the expositions took to much screentime considering the small amount of infodump they actually provided. Hell, that one manga chapter focusing on the Numbers could have been slipped into the anime.
Old 2013-08-15, 19:50   Link #2423
Gx Hero
Rambler

agreed for how slow it went more episodes would have been nice. pitty that quattro was not at near point blank range for the divine buster. SHe deserv ed it.

Which brings me to ask is Jail or Quattro more evil. Personaly I say quattro because she enjoyed the torture of making nanoha and vivio fight where jail was simply a too enthusiastic scientist with little to no morals.
Gx Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-15, 20:13   Link #2424
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiyoshi View Post
Agreed, StrikerS problem wasn't in its characters, we have seen stories with similar cast size that managed more with even less episodes.
Such as?

I disagree with those saying that the number of characters wasn't part of StrikerS' problems. I definitely think it was an issue for StrikerS, and that the show would have been better with fewer characters.

Viewer attention is just divided too many ways, amongst two many groups and subgroups of characters. Most of the non-magical girl TSAB operatives just feel like they're taking up space, as does half of the Numbers and anybody working for the Saint Church. They're like extras in a movie, or some cannon fodder protagonists/antagonists, but the anime presents them like you're supposed to seriously care about them.

Slow pacing during the first half didn't help, certainly, but I've seen worst (Shakugan no Shana Season 2's first half).

StrikerS did a decent job developing Teana and Subaru, as well as further developing Nanoha and Fate. But after that, there's a lot of half-baked or entirely wasted potential due to just having too many characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
The enlarged cast shouldn't have been a problem since they have twice the amount of episodes compared to previous seasons.
Twice the amount of episodes, but four times as many characters. So the enlarged cast was a problem.

I firmly stand by what I wrote here many moons ago.

The Nanoha franchise's biggest problem is just too many characters. StrikerS is the anime that bears the brunt of this, but the Nanoha franchise itself suffers from massive cast bloat.
Old 2013-08-29, 22:00   Link #2425
Enternal

Although StrikerS has issues in terms of the amount of characters, one thing I think it still did really well and hence my high enjoyment of the series was the world development. You really get to know more Mid-Childa and such. Although it may also because I generally love world building stuff so I ended up enjoying Vivid very much due to all these glimpses of the world that Nanoha and co eventually live in.
Enternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-13, 16:36   Link #2426
fallendrgmaster

Talking Finally

Haven't seen anyone mention it yet, so for anyone who doesn't know. Strikers is finally available in the US.

Amazon's new "Anime Strike" channel is carrying the first three seasons and Vivid Strike. (Vivid is oddly missing)

The really exciting thing is it looks like they are using the Bluray release. (could be DVD) but watching it HQ with subtitles is awesome.

It is pretty pricey though as you have to have Amazon Prime (99/year) and the Anime Strike subscription (4.99/month) on top.

Subtitles may have to be turned on in the player the first time as they don't always activate automatically.

Keep an eye out for any episodes missing the subtitles, a whole bunch where missing them after the release but they fixed most of the issue in a couple hours, and I'm pretty sure I checked them all and submitted a full list to Amazon but you never know.

Plan on watching back through all the series for another time just to make sure it gets another watch so that maybe one day we can snag a physical release with subtitles.
fallendrgmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-13, 20:39   Link #2427
4th Dimension

I am currently doing a rewatch of the seasons in Blue Ray definition mostly using the community subs. I left my impressions on A's on the A's thread. I'm currently re watching StrikerS.

Disclamer: I have no knowledge of Japanese, and am simply comparing the community subs and Amazon ones based on my knowledge of the series-
I have taken a glance at the Amazon subs and they are a bit of a mixed bag since they are doing a bit too literal translation I think. On one hand that makes sentences too dry and wierd. On the other hand they can help clarify some sections of community subs that have been translated a bit too loosely and therefore have lost the original meaning. For example the following is an axcerpt from my write up< on the StrikerS season (still in progress):

From episode 5 section:
Quote:
In the Coldlight translation Teana complements Cross Mirage for being able to provide support with squad management?!? I know tha something like that would be useful to Teana, later on once she assumes her actual position in the team, but she is not using it as such right now. Amazon translation “and even helps with ammo formation” on the other hand, while not great gives a hint on what she actually said/meant. She was stating that CM is helping her create shooting shots, probably AMF penetrating barrier wrapped ones, which explains how she was barely able to make one such shot like yesterday while here she is throwing them around like candy now.
But still I guess it's nice to finally get HQ quality for those who are more scrupulous than me.
4th Dimension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-16, 20:53   Link #2428
fallendrgmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Dimension View Post
I am currently doing a rewatch of the seasons in Blue Ray definition mostly using the community subs. I left my impressions on A's on the A's thread. I'm currently re watching StrikerS.

Disclamer: I have no knowledge of Japanese, and am simply comparing the community subs and Amazon ones based on my knowledge of the series-
I have taken a glance at the Amazon subs and they are a bit of a mixed bag since they are doing a bit too literal translation I think. On one hand that makes sentences too dry and wierd. On the other hand they can help clarify some sections of community subs that have been translated a bit too loosely and therefore have lost the original meaning. For example the following is an axcerpt from my write up< on the StrikerS season (still in progress):

From episode 5 section:

But still I guess it's nice to finally get HQ quality for those who are more scrupulous than me.
Ya, watching some of my favorite scenes from the later episodes looks like they screwed up some spellings or had different translators, at one point calling Rein, Lein instead, when they got it right in the first episode.

I'm probably going to try and go through slowly and leave feedback on episodes as I can for spelling or errors, but I guess its not surprising.

Alot of the legal streaming sites are putting out low quality subs, which then ends up everywhere else because alot of places just rip those for their use.

It makes me really sad but its so prevalent that finding good translations is a treat.
fallendrgmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-17, 18:08   Link #2429
4th Dimension

Now that we have this official release in HQ, is anyone interested in participating in a bit of organized rewatching and posting of opinions on episodes and things that happen in them. It might be interesting since we will not be going into it blind unlike the first time.
I did something similar for As, since I got my hands on HQ version with community subs.

I'm asking because I'm doing the same fro StrikerS and taking notes, aaaaaaaannnddd the note file has gotten out of hand....

it's 26 445 words long ...

and it's only episode 17. HALP.
Old 2017-01-18, 21:59   Link #2430
HighGuard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallendrgmaster View Post
Ya, watching some of my favorite scenes from the later episodes looks like they screwed up some spellings or had different translators, at one point calling Rein, Lein instead, when they got it right in the first episode.

I'm probably going to try and go through slowly and leave feedback on episodes as I can for spelling or errors, but I guess its not surprising.

Alot of the legal streaming sites are putting out low quality subs, which then ends up everywhere else because alot of places just rip those for their use.

It makes me really sad but its so prevalent that finding good translations is a treat.
I've seen them mix up pronouns a lot in StrikerS The subs are rather poorly done.
HighGuard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-29, 18:49   Link #2431
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Hi guys, long time without posting. Currently rewatching StrikerS and i just realized my backup for the soundtrack got ruined. After hours of searching i was only able to find the StrikerS Soundtrack Plus Vol. 1. Any idea where can i find the rest?

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-29, 18:53   Link #2432
4th Dimension

I'm pretty sure that posting links to something like that is illegal here. Soo I can only say that a fellow member of the Nanoha Discord has a Google Drive vault of all of the soundracks and shit.
The link to the Nanoha Discord (you can use the browser) is in my signature.

Join Midchilda Discord server - a Nanoha community server
Old 2017-09-29, 20:05   Link #2433
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Thanks a lot man.

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-30, 06:11   Link #2434
4th Dimension

No, problem. Visit sometimes. That place is much more active than this unfortunate graveyard

Old 2018-06-05, 10:36   Link #2435
DKN117

So, I tried to figure heights for the various 'main' characters (using growth charts found via Google Images for the kids, and operating on the assumption that Nanoha & Fate are rather tall young ladies), and I'm wondering if this sounds like it's accurate enough:

Nanoha (19): 5'9"
Fate (19): 5'11"
Hayate (19): 5'4"
Yuuno (19): 6' - 6'1"
Vita (9/449): 4'5"
Signum (21/460): 6'
Shamal (23/462): 5'8"
Zafira (???): 6'4" (in human form)
Subaru (16): 5'4"
Teana (16): 5'6"
Ginga (18): 5'7"
Erio (10): 4'6"
Caro (10): 4'4"
Vivio (5): 3'4" - 3'6"
ReinZwei (?): ~1'

Does this sound good, or should anything be changed?
DKN117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-05, 15:43   Link #2436
4th Dimension

There have been attempts at that before. I don't know where the initial data on Yuuno and lice comes from. Also I do remmember someone figuring out A's heights and using Vita as benchmark to recompute the StrikerS heights.

Old 2018-06-17, 18:52   Link #2437
Lukes YGO & WS on YT
Naracchi & Saracchi

Spoiler for Episode 1:

Spoiler for Episode 2:

Spoiler for Episode 3:

Spoiler for Episode 4:

Spoiler for Episode 5:

Spoiler for Episode 6:

Spoiler for Episode 7: