AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

View Poll Results: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha the Movie 2nd A's - Rating
Perfect 10 16 25.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 25.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 20.31%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 4.69%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 12.50%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 3.13%
4 out of 10 : Poor 4 6.25%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.56%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.56%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-07-17, 16:26   Link #21
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Fate (and a couple allies, IIRC) then proceeded to do an excellent job of keeping the Wolkenritter at bay.
Nice way of downplaying BOTH Arf (who put Vita in binds, warned Fate about Signum (moment too late, sadly) AND fought Zafira fairly evenly) and Yuuno (who was healing Nanoha, holding off Vita later on and trying to undo the barrier they were in while Vita struggled to break his barrier) during that first fight.

Really, when I put it like that, Arf and Yuuno did more in that first fight than Nanoha or Fate did.

How's THAT for ironic?

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-17, 16:30   Link #22
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
Nice way of downplaying BOTH Arf (who put Vita in binds, warned Fate about Signum (moment too late, sadly) AND fought Zafira fairly evenly) and Yuuno (who was healing Nanoha, holding off Vita later on and trying to undo the barrier they were in while Vita struggled to break his barrier) during that first fight.
I wasn't sure if it was Yuuno or Chrono who took part in that fight. I did remember Arf.

Sorry, but it's been a long, long time since I've watched Nanoha A's.

So I want with "A couple of allies" to ensure that I didn't get the participants wrong.

Edit: I think you're short-changing Fate's role in this fight and rescue, Nanya01. I'm pretty sure that the center of the fighting (after Nanoha was at Vita's mercy) was Fate vs. Vita. And Nanoha A's (and StrikerS) always left me with the impression that Vita was a tougher opponent than Zafira.

Arf and Yuuno were certainly big helps, but I think that Fate's role was truly instrumental.
Old 2012-07-17, 16:59   Link #23
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

So, the end result matters not, just the one rescue scene she had? Then I see no problem. Yes, the scene has changed since the sudden appearance is less of a surprise, but I see no sign that the initial "rescue" was deleted with it.

Indeed current evidence:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actar
- As could be seen in the trailers, Fate did not meet Nanoha in the storm of battle, but before that. She saw the barrier put up by Vita by chance and rushed in to save Nanoha.
suggests it is still present.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-17, 17:11   Link #24
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Yeah, really...From what I understand, Fate still saves Nanoha, she just loses her linker core with Nanoha after that. Wish someone could translate that Japanese text I posted earlier.
Old 2012-07-17, 17:26   Link #25
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Well, it's certainly possible that the execution of the Fate rescue scene will be better than I fear it will be. I just wish they had chosen something different to change.

For example, I'm fine with Graham being dropped from the movie. I liked Graham (simply for being a morally complex male character in NanohaVerse, really), but realistically speaking, his subplot doesn't add that much to the A's narrative and dropping it entirely does save a lot of time.
Old 2012-07-17, 17:58   Link #26
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Well, it's certainly possible that the execution of the Fate rescue scene will be better than I fear it will be. I just wish they had chosen something different to change.
What scenes or subplots did you have in mind then?
Old 2012-07-17, 18:25   Link #27
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Hmm, she might still save Nanoha... though takes her sweet time about it. One of the thoughts I posted earlier, had to do with the time reference.

In the series, there is a large gap of time between Vita's barrier going up, and Nanoha getting blown into the building (she had more than enough time to leave her house and get to the top of a tall building before being attacked). Fate (and Yuuno's) timely save made sense, given that they were on a ship and rushing back to Earth.

Yet, in the movie... Fate sees the barrier, and that's why she intervenes? Raising Heart detected the barrier going up before it hit them. Surely Bardiche would do the same, which would mean Fate should arrive plenty early, before Nanoha gets smacked down.

I'd like to know how exactly they addressed that.

As for the "well, that HAD to drop some stuff because you can't fit everything into a movie!" criticism defense... that is partially true, but ultimately that is the problem of the writers. If you have to drop or rush plot relevant stuff to fit your time constraint, then perhaps the story really is too big to fit into a movie. Your job as a writer is to make it fit and make it a good story. If you can't do that, then yes, it is a valid criticism to call the movie out on being rushed and cut all to hell.

Graham, I can kinda see being cut now (even though I feel it takes away from the story and from Chrono). But if Hayate's story was rushed in order to fit in Fate's dream sequence, then that smacks of a double standard. Hayate's family should have been given more focus as the primary antagonists, especially given the way the antagonists in the first movie were given such extra focus.

So, I repeat what I said a few times before: I was right about them including the Fate dream sequence to the detriment of more important elements in the movie. But we all know why they included it, as well as the "meeting again" scene.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-17, 18:58   Link #28
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Just because a barrier went up, how is Fate supposed to know they're targeting Nanoha? And the 1st movie turned what was a few weeks in the original, into roughly a few days. Minor details can be revised to make this all work out. No point making assumptions until we have an actual poster who went to watch the movie, explain these events in vivid detail.

Also, is there any explanation to where Fate was prior to the barrier going up? She was on the Asura in the original and was teleported in, but that's clearly not the case in the movie. For all we know, she could have been eating Dinner with Lindy.
Old 2012-07-17, 19:06   Link #29
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

If Fate doesn't realize that a barrier going up means that Nanoha (who is, you know, kind of the only mage in town they know of) is in trouble, then she's an idiot.

Them being outside the barrier for some reason or the other makes much more sense.
Old 2012-07-17, 19:18   Link #30
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

A barrier being put up doesn't have to signify a battle or a mage is in danger. It's to keep the outside from knowing what's going on inside. And damage control.
Was used often in seaosn one and the movie to collect Jewel Seeds.
Old 2012-07-17, 19:23   Link #31
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
But, uh, if a barrier goes up, doesn't that mean that something bad is going down?

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-17, 19:25   Link #32
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Especially considering that, as far as anyone knows, Nanoha is the only other mage that's supposed to be in the area?
Old 2012-07-17, 19:25   Link #33
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
But, uh, if a barrier goes up, doesn't that mean that something bad is going down?
Sure does, it just doesn't immediately lead to the thought process of "Oh shi- Nanoha's in danger, I must save her!"

Nanoha gets beaten pretty directly by Vita in the movie from what I've read. This leaves little time for Fate to react and get there before Nanoha is injured.
Old 2012-07-17, 19:32   Link #34
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

If an unknown type of capture barrier goes up in a town where her friend is the only mage, damn straight "Oh shi- Nanoha's in danger, we must save her!" would be the first thing to run through her mind. It's just common sense. I mean, what is she supposed to think when an unknown capture barrier goes up?
Old 2012-07-17, 19:34   Link #35
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

The only viable excuse at this point would be time being spent to actually penetrate the barrier. Perhaps that's the actual reason behind her delay to rescue Nanoha.
Old 2012-07-17, 19:40   Link #36
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
If an unknown type of capture barrier goes up in a town where her friend is the only mage, damn straight "Oh shi- Nanoha's in danger, we must save her!" would be the first thing to run through her mind. It's just common sense. I mean, what is she supposed to think when an unknown capture barrier goes up?
I don't know, but considering no one had any knowledge of, or reason to think Nanoha was a target of someone, it still could have been any number of things. Yes, if you consider Fate's personality, that may be the first thing that comes to her mind, but she's a temporary mage in Lindy's care. I don't see why she's expected to respond and fly to Nanoha the very Nanosecond the barrier goes up. And even if she did, it doesn't ensure she'll get there in time depending upon where she is, or what she's doing.
Old 2012-07-18, 00:50   Link #37
Elle_White

So, if this movie ends on a two year time skip, instead of a five year one, like in the series, does this mean there's a possibility that the third movie will not be a retelling of StrikerS?

If the move didn't finish on them in their careers, perhaps the third movie will cover that. It would be an incredibly difficult task to turn StrikerS into a movie. There were so many characters in StrikerS that many characters would either have their roles significantly reduced, or be cut entirely. As a result, many plot points would be lost, like the parts with the Forwards, the Numbers, or Agito. StrikerS was already a convoluted story, and trying to whittle it down to a story suitable for a movie format would be overwhelming, to say the least. It would be much easier to make a movie that focuses on the characters established in the last two movie's, and build a plot based on the time we skipped over in the canon. Personally, I think it would be great if we did get this.
Elle_White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 02:03   Link #38
Mow Yun

Send a message via AIM to Mow Yun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
Is anyone able to translate this?

I believe it gives specifics to how that scene plays out in the movie.
Very rough translation (I only skimmed it), but it's something like...

Fat rushes/goes to save Nanoha (who was attacked by surprise(?)), but in front of her stands Signum, and just like in the TV series, becomes unable to save Nanoha (not sure if this implies "in time, or just saving in general)

She also doesn't say "Her friend" but I think something like, the conversation is a little diferent. Instead of Vita - Fate interaction, Signum asks Fate if she (Nanoha) is a family member. Fate says (something like), "We're friends. I wanted to meet her even though we couldn't (bad translation), and then we were finally able to see each other, that is why I must save her!"

I also think the poster says something like "This adaptation/version is much cooler!!!!" at the end.

Something like that >_>;;;

Yeah. My Japanese is *really* rusty X_X;;;
Mow Yun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 02:20   Link #39
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Thanks for the rough translation. Still a bit confused with how the scene plays out, but I have a better idea now.
Old 2012-07-18, 07:15   Link #40
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
So it sounds like Fate can't even get to Nanoha to save her. Hence, there is no delay problem if Signum cockblocks her. No real fulfillment of promise, then. Vita beats down Nanoha, drains her. Signum beats down Fate, drains her. Zafira/Shamal beats down Arf, drains her.

Honestly, it sounds as if taking Yuuno out of the equation made the whole fight go much worse for them, heh.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote