AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-07-03, 10:26   Link #1
Seiryuu

Curing the Yandere

I've always felt that, to some degree, the more emotional or even unstable girls deserve the guy. Usually, if it succeeds, it only goes to the level of a depressed tsundere like Mina from Onegai Twins. The girls who're more open and direct about how they feel are healthier and stronger, able to stand on their own two feet. The girls that hide their hearts and say what they don't mean and have occasional outbursts born from confused frustration are weaker, more fragile, and need someone there to help them overcome the demons hiding inside them.

The most tragic, if you pay attention, are the yanderes and yangires. Just FYI, the difference is a yangire doesn't have any romantic feelings fueling her psychosis. She just wants to see blood flow. In both cases, the outbreaks are largely a cry for help, a final desperate exposure of the pain within in hopes of finding a way to heal the scars. They're scary, and most would just back away or reject them, but they need someone to understand and be there for them, to help face the demons and heal the wounds.

That's what I'm looking for, cases where the girl goes crazy but someone helps her, takes her pain and burdens on his shoulders, and allows her to get better again.

The best example I know of is Fuyou Kaede of Shuffle. She went through some terrible experiences as a child, and for most of her childhood, she was a yangire when it came to Rin. Later, she made a shocking discovery and quickly changed, and in the anime when Rin isn't attentive enough, she begins to fall into yandere. However, in the anime she is also able to heal and become normal again.

Another example is Kokonoe Rin of Kojikan.

Please name anything Japanese with this sort of thing, anime or manga, all ages or adult, licensed or not. Bonus if her hero goes on to fall in love with her, but no need to say if this is the case. Just so long as she's able to heal.
Old 2010-07-03, 11:21   Link #2
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I think Kara no Kyoukai is perfect for what you're looking for. I'm not 100% sure though, whether Ryougi Shiki is Yandere or Yangire. I suppose Tsukihime counts aswell.
Old 2010-07-03, 11:44   Link #3
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Bakemonogatari of course.

Kodomo No Jikan is also pretty clearly what you described.

Other than that it's hard

I suppose Hayate The Combat Butler might count depending on how you classify Athena (not in anime so far)

I suppose Neon Genesis Evangelion might be heading that way in the Rebuild versions. The original version had plenty of attempts to help the host of yangires... but it doesn't end well.

Mirai Nikki also deals a lot with the hero providing emotional support for the Yandere. Even though the ending looks like it won't work out well, I still think you probably find it interesting.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2010-07-03, 12:59   Link #4
coren

Anemone from Eureka Seven?
Old 2010-07-03, 21:22   Link #5
Divini
Senpai!

Flay from Gundam SEED has something tragic happen happen to her and she ends up this way. She slowly but surely gets better as time goes on. In the end, she's able to finally see clearly what's the most important thing to her.
Old 2010-07-04, 03:39   Link #6
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coren View Post
Anemone from Eureka Seven?
Yeah i'd say so, and it's a great show as well, so time won't be wasted even though Anemone isn't the main focus.
Old 2010-07-04, 07:34   Link #7
Seiryuu

Thanks. I don't think I'll go Eva, simply because I have too many bad memories associated with the series. End of Eva was my introduction to "mind rape", and it was a thorough lesson.
Indeed, Kojikan is the second series I thought of after Shuffle, and I'm following it close. It's still ongoing so the author could screw everyone over and have Rin go on a killing spree or something, but it doesn't seem to give that sort of vibe. I'm looking hopefully forward to see the teacher(s) gradually heal the heart(s) of the child(ren) and guardian(s).

Also, remember I don't care if she's yandere or yangire, though I wouldn't mind having a guess at which comes closer. And with stuff like this, the more intense and justified the girl's psychosis is, based on what she knows or thinks, the better. The greater the trauma, the better it is to see the person come to terms with it all, and the more pain a pair goes through together, the more wonderful it is to see them find happiness at the end of the road.
Closed Thread