AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-01-02, 23:43   Link #2641
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
She loves all three of them; that's why she's so torn over everything.
Old 2011-01-03, 01:18   Link #2642
Dlanor .A. Nox
The Death!

So let's get this STRAIGHT...as straight as we can ANYWAYS. Yasu is both BI and incestuous that is kinda messed up thinking about IT. Although I know that marrying cousins is alright in JAPAN. Although I can't say anything about being BI...ERIKA-san. -sighs-
Old 2011-01-03, 01:59   Link #2643
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Though it be fair to Yasu it seems she fell in love with the three cousins before she knew they were related...and well, shit, she's already an incest baby, so it's not like she's in any place to morally condemn the act.
Old 2011-01-03, 02:32   Link #2644
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera

I found this on /jp/ right before the release of EP8, and found it rather interesting. Copypasted for your convenience:

Spoiler for Kanontrice mk. 2:

This theory addresses a couple things about Clair's story that were bothering me, in addition to the lack of direct information about Kanon.
  • Shannon knew the ending of And Then There Were None before Yasu and Gaap did.
  • Berune says she consulted both Yasu and Shannon after getting pranked, implying that she thought of them as two separate people.
  • The idea of Yasu "becoming" Shannon and for some reason becoming clumsier seemed nonsensical, not to mention forgetting herself.
  • Will and Clair acted as if the culprit's identity hadn't been completely exposed at the end, even though Clair's narrative made it look as if it was obviously Shannon.
As a counterargument, Shannon's been repeatedly said to have worked at the mansion for 10 years, and if she's not Yasu, she doesn't have an excuse for being brought there so young. On the other hand, I think all of those statements were from Yasu's message bottle games, and she might have conflated the real Shannon's work history with her imaginary friend Shannon from before the first world change.

I'm not sure whether/how it works with the Love Duel though.
Old 2011-01-03, 03:36   Link #2645
kamuinoyume
OMAE WO SHINJIRU!

It doesn't make sense for Shannon and Yasu to be a different person. And I can definitely argue those points you presented:

1. Shannon knew the ending of And Then There Were None before Yasu and Gaap did. - This one is obvious. Shonnon was Yasu's Ideal person, an idea is supposed to be everything you are not: A perfect servant, polite, respectful, liked by everyone, a Mary Sue if you will. So, therefore, it is only natural for Yasu to assume that Shannon had read the books that she did long before she even heard of them, that she(Shannon) likes the same things she (Yasu) does, and therefore, it was only natural for Yasu to imagine Shannon would know the ending of the book, even though she herself didn't. After all, Shannon didn't tell us the answer, because Yasu interrupted her, but that doesn't necessarily mean she knew. It might have been just Yasu's mind coming up with a theory and trying to tell it to herself through Shannon, but she couldn't allowed Shannon to say the theory out-loud, since, if at the end she was wrong, it would have meant that Shannon hadn't read the book, which would have made Shannon a liar to Yasu (making her flawed, or a deceiver, and Yasu couldn't allow that image to befall upon her perfect self).

2. Berune says she consulted both Yasu and Shannon after getting pranked, implying that she thought of them as two separate people. - this one can be easily disapproved because, we never actually heard Berune's statement, but what Yasu imagined Berune would say. Everything was related from Clair's perspective, so, of course she'd shift the events to suit her twisted Logic. Isn't that what Beatrice did all the time?

3. The idea of Yasu "becoming" Shannon and for some reason becoming clumsier seemed nonsensical, not to mention forgetting herself. - Yasu never became Shannon. She just regressed back to her former self (Shannon the clumsy and lonely servant), while the witch (her actual personality) buried herself in the depth of her mind and pretended she was a witch. It's a self-defensive mechanism. After all the other servants that she was familiar with left, the loneliness began to overwhelm her, so, of course she'd want to hide away from it in the fantasy world with her only friend (Gaap).

4. Will and Clair acted as if the culprit's identity hadn't been completely exposed at the end, even though Clair's narrative made it look as if it was obviously Shannon. - I have no idea where this came from? I don't remember them acting that way. Can you be a little more specific?
Old 2011-01-03, 03:47   Link #2646
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Wait a sec.

Point 1) Was it ever actually stated that Shannon knew the culprit already? I don't remember that...

Point 2) Did Berune actually say that? All that I remember is that She mentioned both Shannon and Yasu in separate instances, but do we a proof that she considers them two different persons, rather than two different names for the same person?

Quote:
I have no idea where this came from? I don't remember them acting that way. Can you be a little more specific?
I think it refers to the fact that the culprit's identity was concealed by giving him/her the appearance of Claire.

This is something that bothered me as well. Bern said that she did so because she hates stupid people, meaning that she doesn't want to serve the answer on a silver platter.

The obvious problem here is that later that very culprit talks in first person about events that had Shannon as protagonist. So why hiding the culprit's identity if later s/he practically admits that s/he's Shannon?

Old 2011-01-03, 05:39   Link #2647
Judoh
Mystery buff

Another thing I think having Shannon and Yasu as different people does is it puts this "Shannon's" age into question. If you beleive Yasu was 10 when she became a servant it's doubtful Shannon would be also. And it's also doubtful that she'd be younger than Yasu. So if the average age to become a servant is 13- 16 or something like that then in 1986 this Shannon would have to be in her late/early 20's.
Old 2011-01-03, 05:52   Link #2648
whispers11

Spoiler for Some Umineko thoughts:
Old 2011-01-03, 10:08   Link #2649
kamuinoyume
OMAE WO SHINJIRU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Wait a sec.

Point 1) Was it ever actually stated that Shannon knew the culprit already? I don't remember that...
Yes, when Yasu told Shannon about the book she was reading, Shannon started boosting about how she knew who the killer was.

Quote:
Point 2) Did Berune actually say that? All that I remember is that She mentioned both Shannon and Yasu in separate instances, but do we a proof that she considers them two different persons, rather than two different names for the same person?
And yes, Berune did say that she'd consulted with Yasu, Shannon and Kumasawa. But as I said, I think Claire twisted the events to her liking.

Quote:
I think it refers to the fact that the culprit's identity was concealed by giving him/her the appearance of Claire.

This is something that bothered me as well. Bern said that she did so because she hates stupid people, meaning that she doesn't want to serve the answer on a silver platter.

The obvious problem here is that later that very culprit talks in first person about events that had Shannon as protagonist. So why hiding the culprit's identity if later s/he practically admits that s/he's Shannon?
As for that, I think that's Riukishi still trying to keep us guessing, though it's kind of pointless this late in the series.
Old 2011-01-03, 12:13   Link #2650
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamuinoyume View Post
It doesn't make sense for Shannon and Yasu to be a different person. And I can definitely argue those points you presented: <snip>
1. She didn't have to say a theory. Shannon outright stated that the book was a perfect crime, and it only gets exposed at the end because the culprit made a confession in a message bottle that was miraculously found. Those are details you'd only know if you read the very end of the book.

2. If she twisted this, why didn't she twist the conversation where the servants complained about her being in a single room?

3. This is going to come down to a matter of opinion, but I don't agree with the multiple personalities interpretation of Yasu, regardless of whether she's Shannon or Kanon. She has a vivid imagination, but I don't think you can jump from that to saying that something like "personality regression" makes sense.

In this particular case, the narration itself says she made the first world change well after the new crop of servants arrived, and she did it because she discovered playing pranks as a witch was more fun than playing the role of a servant, not because she was lonely. That's hardly a traumatic event to justify totally reordering her psyche. (And why would she have been more lonely after the first batch of servants left? She hated them because they were mean to her.)

4. Jan-Poo's right about what I was referring to for this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judoh
Another thing I think having Shannon and Yasu as different people does is it puts this "Shannon's" age into question. If you beleive Yasu was 10 when she became a servant it's doubtful Shannon would be also. And it's also doubtful that she'd be younger than Yasu. So if the average age to become a servant is 13- 16 or something like that then in 1986 this Shannon would have to be in her late/early 20's.
Yeah, it does create several timeline problems. I think Yasu says early on that Shannon is older than her, doesn't she? Does anybody remember where the information about Shannon's age came out?
Old 2011-01-03, 12:22   Link #2651
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Shannon's age came out quite early: Episode 1. It was stated she started when she was 6, and worked for the main house of the Ushiromiya for 10 years.
That period is again mentioned in Episode 2 when Rosa accuses her for betraying the family, and Gohda defending her that she spent 10 years of loyal service.

That being said, I must also mention that Shannon's speech in Yasu's flashback are definitely "childish" compared to how Shannon usually speaks.
Old 2011-01-03, 12:38   Link #2652
kamuinoyume
OMAE WO SHINJIRU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalAura View Post
1. She didn't have to say a theory. Shannon outright stated that the book was a perfect crime, and it only gets exposed at the end because the culprit made a confession in a message bottle that was miraculously found. Those are details you'd only know if you read the very end of the book.
I remember that, but you do remember that Yasu mentioned that she talked to Kumasawa about the book earlier, and Kumasawa might have told her the exact same thing, and that might be the place where Shannon/Yasu got her info. I can't actually argue this point extensively seeing as the talk with Kumasawa wasn't revealed. Either way, Shannon's knowledge can be explained.

Quote:
2. If she twisted this, why didn't she twist the conversation where the servants complained about her being in a single room?
Yasu is kind of masochistic, if her choice of friends are anything to go by: Gaap (whose main purpose is to bully her), same with Virgilia and Ronove(especially Ronove); and lets not forget who the seven sisters of purgatory are modeled after... I think that's why she loved Maria so much, because she was the only friend who looked up to her and was kind to her.

Quote:
3. This is going to come down to a matter of opinion, but I don't agree with the multiple personalities interpretation of Yasu, regardless of whether she's Shannon or Kanon. She has a vivid imagination, but I don't think you can jump from that to saying that something like "personality regression" makes sense.

In this particular case, the narration itself says she made the first world change well after the new crop of servants arrived, and she did it because she discovered playing pranks as a witch was more fun than playing the role of a servant, not because she was lonely. That's hardly a traumatic event to justify totally reordering her psyche. (And why would she have been more lonely after the first batch of servants left? She hated them because they were mean to her.)
I know it is kind of strange, and I would agree with you of it being a matter of opinion, if the fact that Yasu not being Shannon and Kanon wouldn't make much sense considering the way the events were presented. And just for the record, I don't like the whole split personality much either, but it does clear up a lot of the holes from the first 4 games, so, I'm just going along with it for now (till i read ep 8 that is).
Old 2011-01-03, 12:57   Link #2653
winter 923

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Shannon's age came out quite early: Episode 1. It was stated she started when she was 6, and worked for the main house of the Ushiromiya for 10 years.
And that's why she has to be Yasu. Natsuhi said (in the Theather) there was only one child ever that young being a Servant. The other Servants look down on Yasu for being young but not on Shannon.
Yasu is the "only one who isn't in a three-person room" this can also mean a single room. Shannon is never mentioned by name while Yasu is a Servant. Shannon tries to avoid calling Yasu by the name but she does once. It being a non-fukuin name is kinda rude but she just doesn't have another name.
Beeing BI isn't a problem because Yasu's love is the kind of romantic and innocent one, he/she can't "love" anyway with this body.
Old 2011-01-03, 13:33   Link #2654
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
That period is again mentioned in Episode 2 when Rosa accuses her for betraying the family, and Gohda defending her that she spent 10 years of loyal service.
Hm, Yasu's message bottles again.

Well, here's a quarter-baked idea to go with the fiction theories. Maybe Shannon actually quit some time before the disaster, and the 16-year-old one we see in the message bottle stories is just a character Yasu based on her? That would dovetail a bit with the plot thread about Shannon's unchanging future.
Old 2011-01-04, 03:54   Link #2655
Dlanor .A. Nox
The Death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
Though it be fair to Yasu it seems she fell in love with the three cousins before she knew they were related...and well, shit, she's already an incest baby, so it's not like she's in any place to morally condemn the act.
Can't be good if George or Battler decided to bed HER. Not enough genetic diversity because she has 75% Kinzo from Beatrice 2's SIDE. Both Battler and George have 25% of KINZO. I'm not brushed up on my genetics but is that RIGHT? Genetics wise not really in terms of morality since that is another nutshell I refuse to touch with a ten foot POLE.

Also didn't Genji fake Yasu's AGE? He claimed her to be 16 when she was actually 19. In the narration itself it was odd for children that young to serve according to the Fukuin SERVANTS.
Old 2011-01-04, 04:55   Link #2656
Vylen
Apprentice Sorcerer

Wikipedia is handy in this sort of thing. If I'm reading it right and remembering who came from who Yasu has 50% of Kinzo's genes. Page also mentions first-cousin relationships... Just need to figure out the percentage of genes George and Battler have of Kinzos.
Old 2011-01-04, 05:59   Link #2657
rogerpepitone

Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vylen View Post
Wikipedia is handy in this sort of thing. If I'm reading it right and remembering who came from who Yasu has 50% of Kinzo's genes. Page also mentions first-cousin relationships... Just need to figure out the percentage of genes George and Battler have of Kinzos.
That page states "assuming no consanguinity of the parents" (parents are not blood related). Since Rosa's Beatrice is stated as being Kinzo's daughter, this assumption doesn't hold true for Yasu. Yasu will have 75% of Kinzo's genes.

I get Yasu would share 3/16 = 18.75% with Jessica, George, Battler, and Maria.
Old 2011-01-04, 06:23   Link #2658
whispers11

Well, it only matters if she can have kids.

I also have a crazy theory that Jessica is actually not Krauss' daughter. Remember that Natsuhi and Krauss couldn't have children for something like 12 years. Natsuhi was throughly tested, but what about Krauss? Maybe he was unable to have kids. So, according to this theory (if you discard Ep.5 speculation on affair between Kinzo and Natsuhi), Jessica doesn't share any blood with Beatrice-3.

Last edited by whispers11; 2011-01-04 at 07:31. Reason: Thanks, Kirroha
Old 2011-01-04, 07:15   Link #2659
Kirroha
Just... disturbed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whispers11 View Post
Well, it only matters if she can have kids.

I also have a crazy theory that Jennifer is actually not Krauss' daughter. Remember that Natsuhi and Krauss couldn't have children for something like 12 years. Natsuhi was throughly tested, but what about Krauss? Maybe he was unable to have kids. So, according to this theory (if you discard Ep.5 speculation on affair between Kinzo and Natsuhi), Jennifer doesn't share any blood with Beatrice-3.
Jessica, you mean. Anyway, I still think it's because Natsuhi pissed in fire for some MAGICAL BREEDING POWAH.
Old 2011-01-04, 07:28   Link #2660
Quest 64

I think you all too seriously perceive words of Yasu about that she can't love with her body. As all is showed in magic representation it is clear she can't "love" Battler because of anti-magic toxin, before appear in front of humans Witch should be acknowledged.
Perhaps, Beatrice can use only Kanon body for crimes, like it was at EP2 (After second twilight), EP1 (After third), EP3, EP4 (Kyrie group). One more feature, she gave Kanon demon form Furfur, whom man with woman body (?),so it's one more tip.
And from the point of genetics, just looking on hair Battler, they have at least 50 % of a successful birth of the child (since red hair were imposed from white hair Kirye and white hair Kinzo, i.e. Kyrie genes are dominating)

[Kinzo 50% + Beatrice 50%]

[Rudolf 50% + Kyrie 100%] [Kinzo 50% + Q.Beatrice 50% (still blond hairs )]

Battler 25% + Yasu (hair color unknown) (50 -75)%

Child (max 50% of Kinzo genes)

Last edited by Quest 64; 2011-01-04 at 07:53. Reason: easier to make a picture
Closed Thread