AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Old 2008-01-23, 08:59   Link #1
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Character discussion - Horo

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Horo related.If you have any thoughts regarding the spunky wolf goddess and wish to let others know, feel free to voice them here.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Spice and Wolf fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specific episode / chapter / game talk, there are other threads for that stuff.

Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whining and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favorite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter is always welcome, but harassing people won't be tolerated.

• Discuss, not Chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel (#animeuki) on ZiRC.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use spoiler tags!Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    to locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Skyfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-23, 14:25   Link #2
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

Cute Character....I Like Her Because I love Wolf In Animes ..
Old 2008-01-23, 14:52   Link #3
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

*second post*

Yeah, Horo is funny because she can act immature at times then suddenly know stuff that surprises us. Like business....
Old 2008-01-23, 15:04   Link #4
Khaos

Arrow

I really love her free and confident nature.
She is what she is, does what she does and isn't ashamed of anything.
She is older and more adult than anyone else, on the same time she kept hold of a child's nature and she also has her weaknesses. She is a complete being and it's so rare and refreshing to see a character like that in an anime.

I think she feels a great loneliness inside, she was bound to that village for a long time far away from her home. And as a god you normally don't have any human friends, so perhaps, this is a new or at least a very rare experience for her.
Khaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-23, 15:21   Link #5
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
She really is a great character all around. No doubt she spent quite a long time in that village isolated from being able to interact with people. Since after a time they were just afraid of her and so its hard to have a conversation with a fleeing person.

Maybe not surprising how much she is enjoying herself at times. Being able to talk with someone who knows about you but isn't heading for the hills would have to be nice.

A complete person is a good way to go about describing her. She can be confident, but isn't without weakness and loneliness. Can be pretty eager and childlike, but also serious and regretful. I guess after living such a long time you are able to develop a pretty interesting personality.
Old 2008-01-23, 15:32   Link #6
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
She really is a great character all around. No doubt she spent quite a long time in that village isolated from being able to interact with people. Since after a time they were just afraid of her and so its hard to have a conversation with a fleeing person.
Can anyone actually confirm her real age? Seen some say couple hunderd then some say more like in the thousands.

Quote:
I guess after living such a long time you are able to develop a pretty interesting personality.
hehe well its either the personality that everyones gonna love or the one that everyone dare not go against i.e places you on the menu
Old 2008-01-23, 16:04   Link #7
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
Can anyone actually confirm her real age? Seen some say couple hunderd then some say more like in the thousands.
The answer is in the Q&A thread. I'll go get the link.

EDIT: Here ya go.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...84&postcount=7
Old 2008-01-23, 16:37   Link #8
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

You realize its getting tough to take my eyes off your avatar and .sig and actually read the post, eh?
Old 2008-01-23, 19:08   Link #9
no common sense
Resident Asshole

She is simply too clever for her own good, and her moe level is over 9000!!!
no common sense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-23, 19:10   Link #10
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

There is just an overwhelming amount of Horo pics everywhere.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-23, 19:45   Link #11
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
There is just an overwhelming amount of Horo pics everywhere.
Her reach and charm is unmatched . No doubt there will be plenty more sightings of her as the series moves along.

But it is true that she has shown quite a bit of depth right from the start. Already has so much life experience to dwell and rely upon. Just exploring what has happened in her past will be great to follow.
Old 2008-01-23, 19:47   Link #12
Echoes

What I like about Horo so far is that she has shown so much depth in such a short amount of time. She must have spent a lot of time over the centuries developing her character.

At times she's mysterious, enigmatic and dark, while other times she's playful, flirting and downright cute. She gets embarrassed, she makes sarcastic remarks and she frivolously employs both her wit and her charm to get what she wants. Yet the character comes across as consistent, she's not all over the place.

So far, I like Horo a lot, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
Old 2008-01-24, 14:48   Link #13
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
"Horo the wise"

She certainly lives up to the name, but what makes her most interesting for me is that the fact that even though she has LOTs of life experience...she is still learning

Kinda like a life lesson for all of us, to never stop learning throughout our life time.

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-24, 15:11   Link #14
jigenbakuda
Kazumi sure is cute...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
What I like about Horo so far is that she has shown so much depth in such a short amount of time. She must have spent a lot of time over the centuries developing her character.

At times she's mysterious, enigmatic and dark, while other times she's playful, flirting and downright cute. She gets embarrassed, she makes sarcastic remarks and she frivolously employs both her wit and her charm to get what she wants. Yet the character comes across as consistent, she's not all over the place.

So far, I like Horo a lot, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
You know what I'd really like to see. I would really love it if horo befriending lawrence was just a big ploy. She is always so far ahead of lawrence, as if she is just playing a trick on him or deceiving him (in the 3rd episode alone she showed she knew at least the same amount of info on the trading world, and what's better is she did so when he was explaining it to her). She said something to the affect of, if one is tricked and they realize it, then they should be happy to know that sort of trick exists. Also she said once you realize you've been tricked, its too late to be mad about it. So are her words foreboding? Is she giving lawrence a chance to see thru her? I would love it so much if horo turns out to just be using good ole lawrence.

But it would be strange that someone playing a trick on someone would feel remorse for something they said to the person they were playing a trick on. Unless she feigned the remorse to suck him in...

If one sets a trap, isn't it the victim's fault for falling in?
jigenbakuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-24, 15:16   Link #15
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigenbakuda View Post
You know what I'd really like to see. I would really love it if horo befriending lawrence was just a big ploy. She is always so far ahead of lawrence, as if she is just playing a trick on him or deceiving him (in the 3rd episode alone she showed she knew at least the same amount of info on the trading world, and what's better is she did so when he was explaining it to her). She said something to the affect of, if one is tricked and they realize it, then they should be happy to know that sort of trick exists. Also she said once you realize you've been tricked, its too late to be mad about it. So are her words foreboding? Is she giving lawrence a chance to see thru her? I would love it so much if horo turns out to just be using good ole lawrence.

But it would be strange that someone playing a trick on someone would feel remorse for something they said to the person they were playing a trick on. Unless she feigned the remorse to suck him in...

I don't think she has a big plan for anything. I really do think she just wants to get to her home. She does "use" Lawrence in a sense to get what she wants at times. Like the apples. However she also helps him through that in the fact that he is able to get more coins for the fur.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-24, 15:21   Link #16
Grimkill7
Inattentive Dreamer

I agree. Their relationship is nothing short of mutualistic in my eyes.
Grimkill7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-24, 16:00   Link #17
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Horo's character has more depth and sides to it then most characters I've seen in an anime at such an early stage. I expect by the end of it she'll be one of the most memorable characters I have ever seen.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-24, 16:06   Link #18
jigenbakuda
Kazumi sure is cute...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Horo's character has more depth and sides to it then most characters I've seen in an anime at such an early stage. I expect by the end of it she'll be one of the most memorable characters I have ever seen.
Me too. I have not obsessed over a charter since anthy himamiya. lol, as you see I do not get involved in characters often. So 3 episodes in and horo has ensnared me. I think she might be number one after this season, hell after episode 5 the way things are going.

If one sets a trap, isn't it the victim's fault for falling in?
jigenbakuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-24, 16:22   Link #19
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

All relationships are a mutually agreed "using" of each other for the overall benefit of both. For canines, deceit is a rarely used tool --- usually mostly to ensure the harmony of the pack.

And yes, Horo is in danger of toppling all of my long-standing 'characters of worship' to second tier in the land of japanese popular culture.
I'm scrabbling for another character who comes nearly so close to the complexity of a real person.... not finding it yet.
Old 2008-01-24, 17:05   Link #20
X207
Gamyūsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
same here. all the anime that ive seen b4 didnt hav a lead character progress this much. usually they act the same wayin the first few eps, horo on the other hand didnt.
X207 is offline   Reply With Quote