Notices

Old 2006-01-31, 17:31   Link #181
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by raikage
Examples?
10 character limit
The usual: Touya --> Toya, Shindou --> Shindo (and after that, I thought it was kind of odd that they bothered using the apostrophe in Hon'inbo, but whatever). Nothing egregious.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-05, 19:02   Link #182
pathyfinder
Terabyte needs anime!

Finally watched DVD Dub 1, ep 1 and Sai's voice is "painful" as he sounds like a clown and I don't like clowns. (sort of a when James from Team Rocket is talking goofy voice). IMO Sai's voice is primary in this anime.

I'll give this to my mom and see if she can enjoy it, the rest of the dubs were tollerable ....ger back to sub titles I go If mom don't like it then I'm not bothering to buy anymore, I'd rather buy manga.

Songs are the same, however I remember now how disappointing it is to listen to anime on my tv, the speakers are just way too lame. I have 5 speakers on my corner computer desk, that includes a woofer half the size of my compy
pathyfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-06, 00:14   Link #183
sangofe

The dub script was pretty darn accurate, though.
sangofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-06, 16:30   Link #184
pathyfinder
Terabyte needs anime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangofe
The dub script was pretty darn accurate, though.
Hai, but Sai sounding "goofy" was heartbreaking. He's silly and comical but that doesn't mean he has to sound like bozo the clown
pathyfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-07, 23:37   Link #185
monir
cho~ kakkoii

I'm at episode 7 and I can't believe how exciting this series is. This is a perfect example of a show that draw its audience with just the perfect blend of dialogues and background music. The lack of good animation or the absence of fighting isn't even an issue. I didn't even notice my foot fell a sleep until I had to go to the loo.

Would Hikaru ever be good enough to play Sai in an even match or Sai's mastering the Divine move? While you are at it, can someone teach me how to play go?
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-08, 00:47   Link #186
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

You are crazy if you want peoples to teach you go on the net ... its damn harder then playing chess

Just ep 7? o.O

HNG is simply one of the best anime series; heck its the series; that I've watch so far ... and I dont care if Sai is a guy... I him more then Akari

Its the only anime that stayed on my HD long after I've finished watching it ... just so I could watch it anytime without bothering the DVDs

Favourite ep are ep 33 and 54-56 ... You know why when you've watched them later ^-^.

Come to think of it.. I love Isumi's VA in HNG yet totally despised him in GSD ... Show how good he was.
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-08, 03:59   Link #187
ShikaShika
無罪

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir
Would Hikaru ever be good enough to play Sai in an even match or Sai's mastering the Divine move?
You shouldn't ask to get spoiled, but if you really want to there might be some earlier posts debating it. Either way, I won't spoil anything. Hikaru no Go was easily my favourite until I finished Monster, now they have to share number 1.

At least I can say this, HnG is the only 75 ep anime I ever watched over two days. (I skipped the go lessons, but otherwise no cheating. ) I've seen the whole thing four or five times, but I have to see it again soon, because it's been over a year.

I couldn't begin to list favourite episodes, there are simply too many to mention. Enjoy theremaining 68 episodes monir, I know you will. (Well perhaps not 64 and 66, two sideshows independent of the plot, just as the plot really thickens. I usually skip both.)
ShikaShika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-08, 11:47   Link #188
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:
While you are at it, can someone teach me how to play go?
I tried playing a freeware Go program on the easiest level -- I still got killed.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-08, 15:22   Link #189
IMSabbel

Quote:
I tried playing a freeware Go program on the easiest level -- I still got killed.
I know that feeling... and combine this with the fact that even the most sophisticated computer go programs are beaten easily my modestly adept go players, it really puts one into ones place
IMSabbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-09, 10:55   Link #190
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kira_Naruto
You are crazy if you want peoples to teach you go on the net ... its damn harder then playing chess

Just ep 7? o.O
That just your excuse for everything. At episode 9 now. Purple's being my favorite color I also think Sai looks good in that purple lipstick. And Touya, he is so intense for a kid. Puts me to shame as I remember the time when I was 14. I'm thinking about saving it on my HD too instead of just watch and delete, and may be even buy the DVD's once all the episode will be available in a neat box. And who is Isumi? Spoiler! Spoiler! KiNa just spoiled me. Hilarious avy btw! The FSN, for some reason, reminds me of Pokemon. Don't tell anyone I said that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShikaShika
You shouldn't ask to get spoiled, but if you really want to there might be some earlier posts debating it. Either way, I won't spoil anything. Hikaru no Go was easily my favourite until I finished Monster, now they have to share number 1.

At least I can say this, HnG is the only 75 ep anime I ever watched over two days. (I skipped the go lessons, but otherwise no cheating. ) I've seen the whole thing four or five times, but I have to see it again soon, because it's been over a year.

I couldn't begin to list favourite episodes, there are simply too many to mention. Enjoy theremaining 68 episodes monir, I know you will. (Well perhaps not 64 and 66, two sideshows independent of the plot, just as the plot really thickens. I usually skip both.)
I once watched 17 episodes of Naruto in one sitting. I don't think I'll be able to give myself enough time to break that record any time soon, but this series is so darn addictive when all they do is slam down beans on the intersection points of x and y axis. Monster is neat as well. I've fallen ridiculously behind on the show. Good advice on the spoiler though I'm tempted to ask more questions, but I'll be good.

Quote:
Yo Rai! May be Sai hacked into that program.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-09, 11:46   Link #191
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Heh, I know that feeling... When I play a computer, I usually start out with a good position, only to watch my advantage get slowly chipped away over the rest of the game...
Quote:
I'm thinking about saving it on my HD too instead of just watch and delete, and may be even buy the DVD's once all the episode will be available in a neat box.
That's what I plan to do. At 75 episodes, the individual dvds just add up to too much money... Getting box set makes much more sense, even if it'll be a while.

Quote:
I once watched 17 episodes of Naruto in one sitting. I don't think I'll be able to give myself enough time to break that record any time soon, but this series is so darn addictive when all they do is slam down beans on the intersection points of x and y axis.
I refused to even watch Hikaru no Go for the longest time, since it's about a board game. I kept saying there was no way it could be good. However, one day someone in my anime club brought in the episodes. As they were put on, I decided to go home. However, I got to the door and saw it was raining very hard, and my car was parked on the other side of campus. Thus I went back to the club and watched the first few episodes there. By the next morning, I had the first 40 or so episodes downloaded.
Old 2006-02-09, 12:46   Link #192
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
I refused to even watch Hikaru no Go for the longest time, since it's about a board game. I kept saying there was no way it could be good. However, one day someone in my anime club brought in the episodes. As they were put on, I decided to go home. However, I got to the door and saw it was raining very hard, and my car was parked on the other side of campus. Thus I went back to the club and watched the first few episodes there. By the next morning, I had the first 40 or so episodes downloaded.

Yeah, it's hard to believe a show about a board game can be so entertaining.
Old 2006-02-09, 13:57   Link #193
ShikaShika
無罪

I didn't even know what it was about when I downloaded it. I got the advice from a friend of mine, and having never watched an anime in my life before I was quite curious. Turned out to be the best tv-series I'd ever seen up until that point. I'm just happy that it really stuck to the manga (except for the first two episodes that are a little bit different). Now I've got all the episodes downloaded, all 23 tankoubons (sp?) bought and I'm heavily considering the dvds despite the cost. But on top of everything, I've actually visited the Japanese Go Institute in Ichigaya in Tokyo. Beat that!

Waya waiting for Shindou and Fukui in the 2nd op. If you look at my pic, then Waya would be standing behind the black car. Incidently, I used the same exit as Shindou is using.

The Institute.

Now, the angles aren't the same, since I didn't have such a comparison in mind when I took them. Everything doesn't look exactly the same, but trust me, if you've been there, you'll recognize yourself when you see it in the anime.
ShikaShika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-13, 06:44   Link #194
Areguzanda
Ecchi!

Finished watching Hikaru no Go + the last Special episode yesterday
and I just have one thing to say:
I WANT TO SEE MORE!!!

it's one of the best story's ever in my mind.
the music is also great, and I'm even starting to really learn the game Go.
heck I'm even thinking about buying a Go board for my own.

is the Manga still going or is it finished?
they just have to make more episodes of this show.

anyone know anything about it?
some rumors about more episodes or just one more special?
from the last special in 2004 and to now 2007 is a long time and I'm afraid they wont make any more episodes.
but if anyone knows anything please tell me
(I'll buy the English version of the Manga soon. but not many volumes out yet)

Areguzanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-13, 08:25   Link #195
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Areguzanda View Post
is the Manga still going or is it finished?

The manga's...finished, technically. It's run has ended, but...

Spoiler:

Frankly, I wouldn't recommend it so much. Personally, I have a biased love towards Hikaru no Go so to me, the more HnG there was, the better but it may differ to others. Your pick.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-13, 10:12   Link #196
Areguzanda
Ecchi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
The manga's...finished, technically. It's run has ended, but...

Spoiler:

Frankly, I wouldn't recommend it so much. Personally, I have a biased love towards Hikaru no Go so to me, the more HnG there was, the better but it may differ to others. Your pick.
well I guess we are alike.
the more HnG the better is my opinion too.
I guess this show really got me hooked.
I just hope they make more of it.
that they finish the story as far the Manga goes at least.

and to think I just started watching this show because I thought the name
Hikaru no Go sounded kind of cool.
didn't have a clue what it was about ^^
thank god I watched it.

Areguzanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-21, 15:29   Link #197
Ansa

Well I just finished rewatching the series, honestly The rivalry between Hikaru and Akira is sooo well done, I mean honestly you can forget any other rivalry in HISTORY it phails in comparison to Hikaru's and Akira's. It's really a wonderful story and while I couldn't even tell most of the moves and what was really going on it was presented in such a way that even people like myself who had never even herd of go can understand it quite well.

Honestly the only disappointing thing was I would have liked to see more development on Akari and Hikaru's relationship but I suppose they are STILL young (even though Hikaru looks like he's around 18 by the end of the series XD)

Can anyone tell me (even if it's a slight spoiler) if anything between them develops later on in the manga? I've been planning to continue the manga now but that's one thing I really had wanted to know, and speaking of the Manga does anyone know the chapter/issue that continues the story from the anime?

Oh and honestly you've got to love the third opening I love the thing when it circles around Hikaru and Akira with the universe behind them the music is tuned so well there.

and since I'm asking a lot of questions (this really goes with the question that I asked before but still...) after the anime ends and the manga continues on how many more chapters are in it anyway? (like how far along does the plot continue to move)
Ansa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-23, 17:23   Link #198
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Not much further.

The anime ends with Hikaru accepting Sai's disappearance, and battling Akira (or at least I think it does, it's been a couple of years).
The post-anime special ends with Team Japan gearing up towards an international cup.

The manga covers said cup, and then ends. Not too much in the way of character development -- and a very, very odd ending point.
Old 2007-05-23, 18:04   Link #199
iwubanime
FMP wubber

Hmm, finally got around to watching (and finishing) this series. It was very good and while the ending was alright, I feel like they could have ended it alot better. The special was nice, but it also left you wanting more.

I'm a little sad to hear that the manga doesn't go much further.

In the manga, who wins the international cup??

And also what is this bad ending people are talking about in the manga?
iwubanime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-23, 20:27   Link #200
jpwong

Spoiler for manga:

And I think people are complaining about how it just feels like an abrupt ending, kinda like someone decided to go woosh and suddenly cut it off.

Actually, the general sentiment when the anime was still airring was something along the lines of how the manga started going further than it should have to have a nice ending.