AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2008-04-24, 22:12   Link #121
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Aren't MMO RPG more or less adventure games. If you care so much about fighting why bother making it RPG, it's kind of contradicting since in a RPG you would want X high level to beat Y low level; it's one of the big key elements in the game, and powers about everything.

If anyone can defeat the ultimate monster at level 1, what's the point of it all?

As for potion spamming; DOMO doesn't seem to have powerful enough potions, thus I find point and click on any boss suicide. (I still beat'em, I just have to be careful and evasive) What I'm trying to say is that you shouldn't make it sound like all RPG (especially MMOs) have potion spam and point and click battles like in your average single-player RPG.

(BTW, how are you going to bind all of those to just a few keys; what you described sounds awfully complicated)
Old 2008-04-24, 22:24   Link #122
Kagedanji
Doughy goodness. I think.

*facepalm*

Do you know what PVP is? It stands for player versus player. I said that you would be equally matched to your opponent in THOSE FIGHTS. And there is NOTHING WRONG with an RPG that has action.

As for the keys, I'll make an example.

This is only in battles:

WSAD = movement
Space Bar = jump
Ctrl = crouch/dodge
Shift = switch to mouse cursor (in order to point at HUD buttons)
Move Mouse = move camera/look (when Shift is held down, you move the cursor)
Left Mouse Button = left hand weapon/shield
Right Mouse Button = right hand weapon/shield
Kagedanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-25, 00:21   Link #123
Asamidori
ボカロ廃

Combo breaking, any other anime MMORPGs anyone can recommend? I don't mind if it's in Japanese (hell even Chinese will do, though chatting in that's gonna kill... hate. pinyin.), no Korean though. Oh, also no to side-scroll ones. (LaTale, I'm talking about you.)
Asamidori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-25, 08:22   Link #124
zerabh

Domo

To be honest, i skipped a lot of that text above, so, i'm not sure if you got this one already...
This is a game with unbeliviable graphics and nice gameplay, it even runs smoothly.
The best thing in the game is that you can do all jobs on one character and combine them, as in using part of the job skills as "subs" on your main job... I hope you try it.

It's called DOMO and you can find it just by googling the word, it stands out for Dream Of Mirror Online.

Another game would be Fiesta, i played that a while too...
Anyway, i'm giving you just the names i bet you can find more info on the homepages of the games.

Then, there's a private server running Ragnarok 2, the open beta.
The server is, like I said, private, european... And, it's like the beta version of open beta, so it's really open. You should check it out just for the graphics. Try Euphro2 in your google.

And one more thing, if you're interested in DOMO, you should check out the proper game version for your continent, like if youre from europe there's a different game version from different publisher, cause Aeria Games is a US product and banned many countries that have their own versions from their servers.

I like anime-style games myself, just for the graphics, they are usually so much better than the usual MMO style... So, if anyone came up with any anime-3d mmo, just list it here so we can all enjoy it.
ARIGATO
zerabh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-25, 09:19   Link #125
krisslanza
Sleep beneath the flowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asamidori View Post
- I don't remember ever dodging any attack in Mabi. It's either counter, defend (block), or take the damage. Then again, I always fight stuffs labeled "strong" or above, so maybe that's why.

- If you're continously clicking the attack button (be it the mouse button or the shortcut keys), you're doing it wrong.

- MP does not control if you can block or not. It controls rather you can cast magic or not.

- You don't use up SP for going into Defend state (blocking). Your SP only drains when you're in Counter state. (And it'll be something amazing if you don't at least carry one stack of SP potions with you at all times, seeing how they drop like sands from all over the place.)

Oh, also, on that battle system you're talking about, I'll be the first to not play it. Camera changing between 3rd person and 1st person is NOT something everyone likes. I'd like my camera to stay 3rd person kthx.
You forgot using Windmill
Or getting Icebolt charged so you could hit the enemy so then you could counter...

Again. Mabinogi has the closest thing to a real-time battle system. The only reason it needs 'charge ups' to defend and 'cooldowns' is because without them battles would just be this:

Counter, counter, counter, counter, etc. etc.

And taking the hit is never an option. Endgame enemies will usually kill you in a single hit.

And yes. If you hammer the attack button you're doin' it wrong. Plus you CAN combo. But it only works ify ou deal enough damage to flinch the enemy. All you do is (i.e. using a Bastard Sword a 2hit weapon) is hit them ONCE. Wait until you stop spinning the sword then 2 hit them. Bam. You just got 3 hits in with a 2 hit weapon.

Same with a 3 hit only hit them twice then wait; then hit 3 times. 5 hits with a 3 hit weapon. And when dual wielding comes out? You can get in like... 10 hits?
Old 2008-04-25, 12:42   Link #126
Asamidori
ボカロ廃

Never bother using Windmill. >_> I only change to close combat if situation calls for it. xD *like bows* (That, and the fact that I level my music skills... So yea. *uses magic skills too*)

Interesting info on that combo thing, I never know about it. (Expected. xD;; ) Gonna go try it when I have time to get on Mabi.
Old 2008-04-27, 14:20   Link #127
Kagedanji

No developers ever thinking of making an MMORPG with a non-click-and-watch battle system leaves me in despair.

But then again, developers who make MMORPGs are the kind that didn't like action games anyway... I can never expect my wishes to be granted at this rate.
Old 2008-04-27, 19:31   Link #128
Kagedanji

Rusty Hearts. MUST PLAY NOW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hucv2...eature=related

http://feature.mmosite.com/content/2...310782,1.shtml

BTW, we need to have Youtube vid embedding.

Last edited by Kagedanji; 2008-04-27 at 19:52.
Old 2008-04-27, 21:03   Link #129
Asamidori
ボカロ廃

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagedanji View Post
BTW, we need to have Youtube vid embedding.
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=711

@Rusty Hearts:

Non-side-scroll non-deform 3D-ized MapleStory was what it reminded me of. orz
Old 2008-04-27, 22:32   Link #130
Kagedanji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asamidori View Post
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=711

@Rusty Hearts:

Non-side-scroll non-deform 3D-ized MapleStory was what it reminded me of. orz
Mix in near-flawless 3-D animation, cinematic effects, and action-packed gameplay reminiscent to Devil May Cry.

HOO-AH!

I'm alive!

@embedding: How?
Old 2008-04-27, 23:14   Link #131
krisslanza

Type in
And inbetween those is the video ID number. Without the . obviously

Also:
$5 says it'll be lame. All games look cool in trailers and videos. Even MapleStory looked fun sped up and stuff.
Old 2008-04-27, 23:26   Link #132
Kagedanji

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
Type in
And inbetween those is the video ID number. Without the . obviously

Also:
$5 says it'll be lame. All games look cool in trailers and videos. Even MapleStory looked fun sped up and stuff.
You seemed to have left out something in your post explaining embedding?

Also, MapleStory really can't be compared to anything. All I know right now is that Rusty Hearts isn't a click-based game, which sparked my interest, and you can deal some badass flashy combos.

An MMORPG with action has finally arrived. Apparently, when you do quests, it becomes the hack and slash-styled gameplay you saw. When you're not doing quests, it's normal. Just a theory.

The thing that sucks is that they're still developing and only planning betas and the release for Korea. I wish MMOs could do worldwide releases.
Old 2008-04-28, 06:00   Link #133
Asamidori
ボカロ廃

No kriss didn't, the board automatically discards any BB Code that's invalid. (Like, if you just put up empty IMG codes, it'll be taken out in the final post.)

The code is youtube. Play around with it.

MapleStory wasn't really a click-based game too, other than the dialogs. So as far as I'm concerned, MapleStory = action. I don't really remember the controls 'cause it's been years, but I don't recall clicking to attack in that game. (Also remember fingers being tired from playing that game, so yea.)

Worldwide release requires money. A lot. Unless you're a company that can be compared to Blizzard, then no. Want to sponser them? Go right ahead. To this day I'm still amazed at the fact that Gravity was able to pull an international release of Ragnarok Online back in 2002. (Even though initially it was hosted back in Korea and it lags like hell...)
Old 2008-04-28, 09:47   Link #134
krisslanza

Quote:
You seemed to have left out something in your post explaining embedding?

Also, MapleStory really can't be compared to anything. All I know right now is that Rusty Hearts isn't a click-based game, which sparked my interest, and you can deal some badass flashy combos.

An MMORPG with action has finally arrived. Apparently, when you do quests, it becomes the hack and slash-styled gameplay you saw. When you're not doing quests, it's normal. Just a theory.

The thing that sucks is that they're still developing and only planning betas and the release for Korea. I wish MMOs could do worldwide releases.
But hack and slash becomes repetitive. And I bet the quests will be the same quests you see everywhere... "Kill X of Y monster" :P

And what are you talking about? Every MMORPG I play has action. Maybe just none that seems to suit you... I mean point and click action isn't very fun but I find Mabinogi to be very action-paced. Slip up for a second and you'll die.
Old 2008-04-28, 17:14   Link #135
Kagedanji

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
But hack and slash becomes repetitive. And I bet the quests will be the same quests you see everywhere... "Kill X of Y monster" :P

And what are you talking about? Every MMORPG I play has action. Maybe just none that seems to suit you... I mean point and click action isn't very fun but I find Mabinogi to be very action-paced. Slip up for a second and you'll die.
Well of course. You need at least a FEW of those kind of missions to at least get yourself used to the game. Missions could also involve simple dungeon crawling, boss hunting, retrieving objects, rescuing people.

This game is still in development anyway so we can't be sure how the game will be like.

There are many other MMORPGs with combo-attack battle being developed in Korea right now. Some are already released. Korea is the leader in MMOs, and everyone else is a generation behind, since it takes them years to get their old games over here while they're making the next best thing.

There's "Warlords", a Dynasty Warriors-styled MMORPG with the ancient China setting and hundreds of enemies at a time, "Ghost X", a purely manga-styled MMORPG dealing with ghosts and demons, and slaying them with your own ghosts and demons which transform into weapons, and many others. You can't even Google these and find much information. Just go to the website that had info on Rusty Hearts and lurk there.

Also, Tube vids.

Ghost X

Rusty Hearts
Old 2008-04-28, 17:51   Link #136
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
There are many other MMORPGs with combo-attack battle being developed in Korea right now. Some are already released. Korea is the leader in MMOs, and everyone else is a generation behind, since it takes them years to get their old games over here while they're making the next best thing.
I had a huge reply typed up for a few posts back and then my system shut off due to low battery

Rusty Hearts looks very neat and I agree that it has a Devil May Cry feel to it, but I think it'd get boring very quickly. Consider this: how much time have you spent playing Devil May Cry as opposed to a standard RPG? The game lengths are different, but even counting replay on DMC due to difficulty settings and fun factor the average RPG is well ahead. And when I compare my hours logged on an average RPG to hours logged on Ultima Online (old-school MMORPG), there's no contest: I easily put 10 to 12 times the number of hours into Ultima Online. Ah, I had a lot of free time back then...

When I look at modern MMORPGs, I feel like the focus has changed. They're fun for a while, but they're incredibly limited. Some Korean MMO companies seem to produce games like crazy (I'm specifically thinking of Gung Ho) - it's as if they know that people will play for a few months and then switch to something new.

Ultima Online was a completely immersive experience. Dungeons were places in the world where monsters spawned (and they looked dungeon-y), but they were a regular part of the world - you could run in and run to the end and then run back out, unless a monster beat you down. Quests were run by real game masters. You could cook, buy a house, make/join a guild... my personal favorite activity was to explore the vast world, taming animals and monsters. When I made enough money from selling what I'd tamed to other players, I bought a boat and explored islands. Still others got into blacksmithing (crafting armor and weapons, among other things); this required different types of ore, which had to be mined. Certain parts of the world yielded rare ores more often, but your character also had to have enough mining skill to get them in good quantities and smelt them properly. It was too addictive - I won't ever play an MMORPG like that again.

I compare that with newer MMORPGs and it's totally different. For example, I played Yogurting for a bit (mostly to practice Japanese) and it was extremely limited. The main world consisted of two school campuses and a sewer (dungeon-type level) that connected them. The main world was essentially a big 3D chatroom. There were "portals" scattered around the world that contained missions/levels, and in there the goal was almost always to beat up all the monsters. There were a few boss missions to keep it interesting, but otherwise that was it. No specialized weapon classes (there were different weapon types, but you could use any of them without penalty), no ability to make anything yourself. It's a gross oversimplication of the game, but it doesn't diminish my point. I've seen people play World of Warcraft and sort of got the feeling that it was somewhat similar, although WoW was a bit more immersive.
Old 2008-05-04, 01:42   Link #137
Kagedanji

To hell with Mabinogi. New Mabinogi.

Old 2008-05-04, 01:49   Link #138
Asamidori
ボカロ廃

Heroes totally lose the charm the original Mabi has for me. (Read: The anime style.) I'd rather play that Husky game Nexon was developing, if that ever make its way to English market.
Old 2008-05-04, 01:52   Link #139
Kagedanji

You people just hate action games and are too used games being cute.
Old 2008-05-04, 01:57   Link #140
Asamidori
ボカロ廃

Topic title: Anime MMORPG Suggestions

We won't hate the game if it's anime-style.

Sadly, it isn't.

Tags
mmorpg