AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kannagi

Notices

Old 2008-10-21, 14:45   Link #501
teelotes
·¥äkítðrý·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Agree with you on the OP and ED .... the OP, while quite poppish fun and great animation doesn't have much depth to it. When I rate it against the Toradora! OP theme, it doesn't fare as well.

The ED tune of Kannagi, on the other hand gives a wonderful sense of the "divine". The composer evokes Shinto ritual music themes in the first part of the piece.... though she sings a hell of a lot better than most of the Shinto chants I've gotten to hear

I'm hoping the ED gets a "not so abrupt" ending in the OST.

(just in case someone reading thinks "spamming the thread" *is* a good idea for getting a subforum .... the mods look at a number of factors, including how many different people are contributing usefully to the thread. Pure numbers won't do it.)
Does posting more fan-made stuff, like avatars and signatures, help? I would love to see a sub-forum too, but we certainly need more content for discussion.
teelotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-21, 15:10   Link #502
Solafighter
Hige

Quote:
Originally Posted by teelotes View Post
Does posting more fan-made stuff, like avatars and signatures, help? I would love to see a sub-forum too, but we certainly need more content for discussion.
Mh not sure. A subforum on "Current Series" would be nice but i think, this theard has not enough post/day, i think.

But would be great.
Old 2008-10-21, 17:43   Link #503
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Agree with you on the OP and ED .... the OP, while quite poppish fun and great animation doesn't have much depth to it. When I rate it against the Toradora! OP theme, it doesn't fare as well....
I was going to start this post: "Are you kidding?" But that's not fair. I just took a look at both OPs again, and they're both good. But the singing here is better, and the song is at least as good, in its way. The animation is of course twice as good, as animation. And both animations give us a nice bit of intro to the characters. That part is a tie. It doesn't matter at all to me that more of this one is just lifted from the show.

Of course, all that is just my own reaction and my opinion. You are perfectly free to help improve my taste my disagreeing. For one thing, I don't actually understand what you mean by "doesn't have much depth to it."

As for getting its own forum, I wouldn't count this show out just yet. Its popularity seems to be growing, both in Japan and overseas. I personally find separate forums rather inconvenient, however. The only advantage for me is not having to spoiler posts in threads for individual episodes.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-21, 17:55   Link #504
teelotes
·¥äkítðrý·

I guess the "not having much depth part" could tie in to the fact that the OP currently has no link to the events happening in the episodes, and thus seems detached.

From another perspective though, the OP can be seen as an episode itself, documentating Nagi's path to stardom. I've not read the manga yet, so I'm not sure if this will actually be the focus of later episodes.

By the way, does anyone know what's the relationship between the OP and an old song posted on nicovideo? I can't read Japanese, so maybe someone can help to clarify? The link to the video is here: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm4910696
Old 2008-10-21, 21:05   Link #505
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I guess it sounded like I was dissing the OP. I'm not really .... its a happy pop song with a nice tune and the VA sings it quite well (especially the chorus). "not much depth" just means it doesn't contain deep thinking lyrics. That isn't a bad thing: some of the best poprock tunes in the world are like that. Toradora's OP is just a bit catchier to me with its bluesy riffs; its not any deeper as such.

Kannagi's ED, otoh, is just beautiful and sublime - sends a few chills down the spine like the vocal version of AIR's Aozora. Definitely have to pick up Kannagi's OST if only for that.

Teelotes taking the OP as almost a promo trailer in itself is a good read on it.

Aye, a separate subforum only has the advantage of fixing most spoiler problems (each ep gets its own thread), and that image posts are nicely kept in a separate thread.
Old 2008-10-21, 22:57   Link #506
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by teelotes View Post
...By the way, does anyone know what's the relationship between the OP and an old song posted on nicovideo? I can't read Japanese, so maybe someone can help to clarify? The link to the video is here: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm4910696
The caption claims that that video -- which is the OP to a 1987 drama called "My Mama's an Idol" -- is the origin of this OP. Or rather that this is a kind of parody of that. Seems a bit of a stretch, but maybe Yamakan saw that show.

Thanks for the reply, Vexx. I really have a lot of trouble hearing the lyrics to Japanese songs, and don't pay much attention to the transliterations or translations, so I can't really say. I was just defending this because I think of it as such a perfect fit for the show, and find myself humming the tune at the oddest times.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-21, 23:29   Link #507
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Anyone looking for a Nagi figure should head to:
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/goods/goods...EY=NEOGDS-1875

She's in an idol kitty outfit.... maybe its something she wears later but its not her daily outfit.
Old 2008-10-22, 02:04   Link #508
SageGaiGar
You are Next

Nekomimi.. yeah it's practically mandatory at a certain point.
SageGaiGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-22, 02:43   Link #509
khryoleoz
Power of 9 SoShi-ist

Great series and a 3rd episode with quite a bit of funny moments. Tsugumi doing a victory dance. Nagi's shining wizard. Too-pure-pure-boy. Kung fu fighting. Dodging Nagi's embrace. Man, lot's of good stuff on this series with good art, enjoyable cast, pleasant atmosphere, endearing characters, nice music, clearly having become my favorite this season. And this was directed by Yamamoto who got booted from Lucky Star? Either he learned a valuable lesson since then or he wasn't given a chance!
khryoleoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-22, 02:51   Link #510
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Quote:
Originally Posted by khryoleoz View Post
And this was directed by Yamamoto who got booted from Lucky Star? Either he learned a valuable lesson since then or he wasn't given a chance!

It has few possibilities.

1. He refused to put any endorsements in Lucky Star
2. A perfectionist, he overrun the animation budget for Lucky Star
3. He has different view on direction of the show should go.

You can search for the script where he was interviewed on this incident with Kyoto Animation on why he got the boot.
Old 2008-10-22, 03:18   Link #511
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

I bet the landmark in this series also based on the real landmarks, just like SHny, Lucky Star and Clannad.

The details of streets, houses and stores designs are just too realistic.

Fans must have already spotted out where are those landmarks. Now we wait for them to put onto internet
Old 2008-10-22, 03:26   Link #512
Solafighter
Hige

The OP? .. Nh even thought, its has nothing to do with the plot of the series, its very good. Its like, how it would look like, if Nagi would be a real famous star.

I like it.
Old 2008-10-22, 03:55   Link #513
JediNight
キズランダム

ToraDora's OP overall doesn't do it for me unfortunately. The first section up to the title and the last 10 secs or so are great, but the middle is very generic. I've heard very similar melodic pacing many times before. Cheap seiyuu-made OP imho...

Whereas Kannagi yeah it's upbeat, but I love the "plain" part, and the events in the background are fun to watch. I doubt it will actually happen exactly that way, but it seems likely Nagi will head the "local idol" direction to prop up her failing Goddess powers.

Spoiler for Manga spoiler:
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-22, 05:08   Link #514
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
I bet the landmark in this series also based on the real landmarks, just like SHny, Lucky Star and Clannad.
Probably, and hopefully we'll see some kind of special feature on the DVD's that shows the source material for the settings.
Old 2008-10-22, 06:25   Link #515
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Ep 3

This anime works because these characters are so much fun and the directing is really good (I still can't believe this is the guy that got fired from Lucky Star).

I'm still trying to figure out just what it is that makes these characters so entertaining to watch. They're only just slight variations of archetypes we've seen before, but in this instance that's all it takes for them to be really enjoyable to watch. I can't explain it, but I'm liking every minute of it.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-22, 07:00   Link #516
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:

The details of streets, houses and stores designs are just too realistic.

Fans must have already spotted out where are those landmarks. Now we wait for them to put onto internet
That they did.

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2008/1...ine-in-detail/
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-22, 07:17   Link #517
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Looks like i don't have to wait for the DVD. Thanks for the link Westlo.
Old 2008-10-22, 08:12   Link #518
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
They are faster than i expect, the temple was said to be quite remote as well....

That web site is quite interesting, except all the H advertising is a bit of eyesore for my taste.
I'm at home so it's OK, but i guess it NSFW at all.

Out of topic(Lucky star):
This kind of event seemed to happen only in Japan -_-'. I doubt if any other place on Earth do similar stuffs
Old 2008-10-22, 10:41   Link #519
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Virtually all series set in "daily life" of current Japan use real life settings. It just seems traditional as an added realism feel. I remember first realizing it when Love Hina was released in 2000-ish and I'm sure the tradition goes back further.

Almost every anime series I can think of uses real life settings as a backdrop -- it seems to be one of the perks for the animators to visit the locations and take scads of photos (AIR, Kanon, Kamichu!, ARIA, Lucky*Star, Love Hina, and on and on ...)

The background artists then use the photo references in creating their scenes, sometimes down to the minutiae of individual rooms within a house.

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-10-22 at 11:13.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-22, 11:50   Link #520
teelotes
·¥äkítðrý·

Quote:
They are faster than i expect, the temple was said to be quite remote as well....

That web site is quite interesting, except all the H advertising is a bit of eyesore for my taste.
I'm at home so it's OK, but i guess it NSFW at all.

Out of topic(Lucky star):
This kind of event seemed to happen only in Japan -_-'. I doubt if any other place on Earth do similar stuffs
Yeah, sankaku complex has quite a range of news daily, but mostly tilted towards the 18+ section, or at least requires an acquired taste.

For those who wish to avoid that, here's the original source:

Page 1: http://blog.livedoor.jp/mafin1/archives/51505232.html
Page 2: http://blog.livedoor.jp/mafin1/archives/51506539.html
Page 3: http://blog.livedoor.jp/mafin1/archives/51508238.html

Q&A page over at @wiki (Japanese): http://www19.atwiki.jp/kamnagi/?page=Q%26A

Think it talks about getting directions and maps on visiting the places, and other stuff.

Tags
comedy, drama, romance, shounen