AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Steins;Gate

Notices

Old 2011-04-27, 09:38   Link #721
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Incidentally, I don't know why the subbers seem to be stuck on SERN but the organization is actually CERN. Are they calling it SERN in the series to avoid a lawsuit or are the subbers just getting it wrong?
In addition to what everyone else has said about the VN's spelling, I noticed in ep 3 that the anime itself is spelling it SERN. During one of the scenes, a news report was on a television in the background. The news report had an English ticker running at the bottom mentioning SERN.

Does anyone else think Christina's father is one of the following: (1) the SERN scientist who led the time-travel experiment that killed a person? Or (2) the person who was killed during the SERN experiment? Or (3) both? She knows about the SERN experiment and that someone was killed. Remember, when Okarin first mentioned a problem with his time-travel experiment her immediate reaction was "Someone else has died?" Then she quickly recanted, trying to hide her outburst. That's why I think her father was involved somehow.

* Using her English nickname because it's easier for me to spell.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous

Last edited by LKK; 2011-04-27 at 09:48. Reason: forgot a critical word or two
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-27, 10:57   Link #722
Wakan Tanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
In addition to what everyone else has said about the VN's spelling, I noticed in ep 3 that the anime itself is spelling it SERN. During one of the scenes, a news report was on a television in the background. The news report had an English ticker running at the bottom mentioning SERN.
Copyright issues, take the PSP in TWGON.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
Does anyone else think Christina's father is one of the following: (1) the SERN scientist who led the time-travel experiment that killed a person? Or (2) the person who was killed during the SERN experiment? Or (3) both? She knows about the SERN experiment and that someone was killed. Remember, when Okarin first mentioned a problem with his time-travel experiment her immediate reaction was "Someone else has died?" Then she quickly recanted, trying to hide her outburst. That's why I think her father was involved somehow.

* Using her English nickname because it's easier for me to spell.
Given that she's doing her best to prove that time-travel is nonsense, I take it that her father is alive but he's been killing people, or rather turning them into some jelly men, otherwise why bother proving that it's not true when her father is already dead.

What if he's John Titor?
Old 2011-04-27, 12:10   Link #723
Kagura89

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimaWolf View Post
I want a ~Duturu~ ringtone. >.>
Did someone say Duturu~
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=08CNFWB3
Old 2011-04-27, 15:00   Link #724
AnimeFan188

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninryu View Post
It starts to get more interesting. Glad Kurisu is back, missed her reactions to Okarin.

I wander who's Kurisu's father.

Lol, Kurisu thinks Ruka is a guy.
Spoiler for Spoiler for those who haven't seen Ep. 2:
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-27, 15:39   Link #725
Deconstructor
Crossdressing Menmatic

Every great group has at least one skeptic. So I guess Makise Kurisu is the skeptic.

I am usually immune to attractive female leads. I cared little about Princess Millihore from Dog Days. I didn't so much faze at Erio from Denpa Onna. But Makise Kurisu... she is surprisingly well-designed, even if she lacks any moe-kyun. Kurisu is attractive enough for me to ignore her constant frenemy banter with Okarin/HOUOUIN KYOUMA. This episode, the banter was kind of nice at times.

I was afraid we'd never see the Miko shrine priestess once again. Not only did we see Ruka, but he/she entrapped another unaware person into the deadly bait. Okarin probably had to smack himself from laughing at Kurisu like a mad scientist. Other times, he just seems to burst out in random spurts of "MUHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!" These are stylistic choices I definitely appreciate. Investigating the craziest theories of science... requires the craziest minds (and one level-headed character).

Despite episode 4 being a build-up episode, I was entertained. Though I hope we can get down to the crazy scientific stuff next time - I'm eagerly waiting for Okarin's conspiracy theories to come true. Time-travel or bust, I say.

Episode 4 Rating: 8/10
Deconstructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-27, 16:45   Link #726
UltimaWolf
~Nani...?~

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Spoiler for more trivia:
That makes sense now, was wondering why she was acting that way.
Old 2011-04-27, 19:30   Link #727
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

Another great episode. This is shaping up to be my favorite show of the season. I think the pacing is perfect so far. I like a nice buildup, and this doesn't seem slow at all so far. Too many shows lately have been hurt by pacing issues due to being single cour.

I love the interaction between Kurisu and Okabe. Fighting like cats and dogs or an old married couple. Definitely a little heat there. Besides the infinitely expanding Daru, another quote I liked was "the grassy plains of Arkansas". Wut?

Suzuha's repeated proclamations that she was a soldier was interesting. Wonder how that ties into Titor since he claimed to be a soldier as well.

Another laugh for the IBN 5100 "portable computer". Brings back memories of Osbornes, Kaypros, and early Compaqs. The companies called them portables while everyone else used the more realistic "luggable". Those things were huge!
TurkeyPotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-29, 03:48   Link #728
Ravenblitz
|・ω・`)

Send a message via MSN to Ravenblitz
Spoiler for megami:

Spoiler for nyantype:

Last edited by Ravenblitz; 2011-04-29 at 04:04.
Ravenblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-29, 03:57   Link #729
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Now that's just too cruel...
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-29, 11:11   Link #730
gecd
Cah Gunungkidul

why they have to put up the bikini?
why they dont let me to give up? orz

0% alcohol, 80% ginger syrup, 10% love, 10% GALAU!!
gecd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-29, 12:09   Link #731
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

If there was a casting call for an adaptation of Baka-test that was open to other anime characters, we'd have our Hideyoshi.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-30, 09:28   Link #732
MaiNoKen
◕ ‿‿ ◕
*Scanlator

I just finished watching the video right now. I will have to say I am reasonably pleased by the episode.

I am not sure how others watched the episode (CR or something). One thing I wish to point out is that Kurisu has a knack of using 2ch (or "@ channel" in the anime) phrases in real conversations (and then try to cover it up). The part which Kurisu with Okabe is talking about Moeka's phone messages and the "Organization", Kurisu used a 2ch phrase and then try to cover it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Certain Tsundere Science Girl
どう見ても陰謀論です。本当にありがとうございました。 (doumitemo inbouron desu. hontou ni arigatougozaimasu)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ch
どう見ても◎◎です。本当にありがとうございました。 (doumitemo BEEP desu. hontou ni arigatougozaimasu)
I am not sure if the translator of the sub (or even people watched the raw) managed to pick that up. I am not sure even if some Japanese viewer understood the context... Kurisu reaction may look out of place for people who do not understand what Kurisu means.
MaiNoKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-30, 11:21   Link #733
gecd
Cah Gunungkidul

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiNoKen View Post
I just finished watching the video right now. I will have to say I am reasonably pleased by the episode.

I am not sure how others watched the episode (CR or something). One thing I wish to point out is that Kurisu has a knack of using 2ch (or "@ channel" in the anime) phrases in real conversations (and then try to cover it up). The part which Kurisu with Okabe is talking about Moeka's phone messages and the "Organization", Kurisu used a 2ch phrase and then try to cover it up.

I am not sure if the translator of the sub (or even people watched the raw) managed to pick that up. I am not sure even if some Japanese viewer understood the context... Kurisu reaction may look out of place for people who do not understand what Kurisu means.
is there any similar english meme for this?
( in my case, I just translate it in my native meme )

Old 2011-04-30, 11:51   Link #734
MaiNoKen
◕ ‿‿ ◕
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecd View Post
is there any similar english meme for this?
( in my case, I just translate it in my native meme )
I am actually not sure if there is a similar phrase in English - there could quite possibly one. The phrase is actually listed here in the 2ch phrase dictionary. I think the original quote is quite dirty however (just like quite a bit of 2ch phrases, haha).

The literally meaning is easy straightforward: "No matter how much I look at this, this is a [BEEP]. Thank you very much (sarcastic tone)."
Old 2011-04-30, 12:13   Link #735
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

^ I believe someone brought that up earlier in the thread. They said the closes term in English would probably be the meme "cool story bro".
Old 2011-04-30, 13:02   Link #736
MaiNoKen
◕ ‿‿ ◕
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
^ I believe someone brought that up earlier in the thread. They said the closes term in English would probably be the meme "cool story bro".
I see. Yeah, "Cool story bro." works quite well indeed.
Old 2011-04-30, 20:46   Link #737
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I find it ironic that Kurisu will say "cool story bro" to HOUOUIN KYOUMA, of all people.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-30, 21:49   Link #738
gecd
Cah Gunungkidul

btw if I talking bad about CR sub, will this post be deleted?
they made small mistake for translating kurigohan to kamehameha into chesnut rice and kamehameha

Old 2011-05-01, 21:02   Link #739
Qikz

Wow I'm loving this series. What I also love is after this I actually spent ages reading up on the real John Titor. It's really interesting stuff and I thought it was just made up for Steins Gate. Turns out there really was a guy and everything the game I guess and this anime used for source material exists. Even the IBM5100. o_O
Qikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-01, 21:35   Link #740
Fome

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiNoKen View Post

When I heard it I thought she was just being sarcastic. Sort of like, "Um, right...thanks." I'm just saying that you might not need to know the meme background to get the gist of the line.
Fome is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, science fiction, seinen, time travel, trap, visual novel adaptation