AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Bleach

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-10-15, 09:15   Link #1
sayde

What would it take to make you quit following Bleach?

Many of us here continue to follow Bleach on a weekly basis for various reasons. Some fans among us like the series so much, that there's literally no reason not to keep up with the series. Others among us have reasons we continue to follow the series despite being very displeased with the franchise in it's current state.

This fact has made me increasingly curious. And I can't help but hope that others among us share at least a little of my curiosity as well. Because it does pose a relatively interesting question for fans on both of the sides of the fence. Perhaps you've wondered at one time or another what plot developments Bleach could possibly take to drive away fans who continue to follow the series despite already loathing its current direction. On the flip-side, I'm sure a few among us have wondered what it would take to drive away those who love this series to death. And finally, you might have even found yourself wondering what it would take for you personally to walk away from this franchise.

So regardless of whether you love or hate Bleach, as long as you are someone who somehow keeps mustering up the willpower to come back for weekly anime and/or manga releases (even if it's not on a consistent basis), this thread is for you. It's my hope that we could have fun learning about some of the infinite possibilities of twists and turns this series could take to push you over the edge, or put that final nail in the figurative coffin. Just what would it take for you to abandon this series for good and NEVER look back (going so far as to even stop visiting the forums for brief updates)? Hopefully we can get some enjoyment learning some small subtle things about each other and perhaps even ourselves in the process.

Also for the sake of trying to avoid as many unnecessary arguments as possible and/or derogatory comments at Kubo, lets try and keep the discussion centered around things that haven't happened yet as much as possible. There's very little need to focus a post entirely on things Kubo may have already done to make you unhappy. Besides, we have other threads for that. This is mostly to discuss potential developments (in other words, things the creator can't possibly be blamed for...yet).

One last thing...
If you feel you need to include manga spoilers in your post, try to remember to keep them hidden within the spoiler tags please.

With that said, I'll start things off.

It should be no secret here that I'm a die-hard Aizen fan. In fact, one could say I officially became a Bleach fan upon witnessing his betrayal during the SS arc. So I think I'll find it difficult to keep up with this series the moment he's confirmed to be gone for good. Because after careful thought, I realize he's literally the only reason I'm keeping up with the manga right now. I'm eagerly looking forward to the day he returns to the plot (if ever). And I can only hope his final end coincides with the ending of the plot. There may be many more potential events that could occur to convince me into walking away from this story completely. Perhaps seeing other opinions will help me to come up with more of my own. But for now, this is only thing that comes to mind which is almost guaranteed to turn me away forever.

Last edited by sayde; 2011-10-19 at 21:24.
Old 2011-10-15, 09:52   Link #2
ronin myael
lost ronin

this is an interesting thread. kudos to you for thinking it up. well, i think i've already revealed my reason as to why i'm still reading bleach, i do it out of habit. as for the possible reasons that would make me quit on it for good, i think if kubo brings back aizen and then do a fake karakura town war part two. i bear no ill will against the guy but i think as a villain he needs a lot of work. he's far too mysterious that i know nothing about him save for his humongous ego. if he should return then i hope kubo could give us more character development. perhaps give us some flashbacks of his youth that could explain why he turned out the way he did. no offense, i know you're an aizen fan, but i prefer a villain whose motivations don't necessarily include gaining godly powers and world domination. that is so overdone.
Old 2011-10-15, 10:09   Link #3
sayde

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin myael View Post
this is an interesting thread. kudos to you for thinking it up.
Thanks but I can't take all the credit unfortunately. I got the idea from another message board I sometimes visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin myael View Post
as for the possible reasons that would make me quit on it for good, i think if kubo brings back aizen and then do a fake karakura town war part two.
Point taken. And I take no offense to Bleach fans who don't share my love for Aizen and would rather see him gone for good. Hell, even my own reasons for liking him aren't the most compelling to begin with. Having stated that, I think it's perfectly understandable to be driven away if Kubo brings back Aizen just to go through the same exact motions all over again.
Old 2011-10-15, 11:05   Link #4
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Old habits are hard to break, so it's not really a matter of mustering any willpower to continue but more a mustering of willpower to break a strong habit. In which case it doesn't really matter what Kubo does because at the end of the day, it's only about 3 minutes of our time per week and it's good conversation/joke material.
Old 2011-10-15, 11:12   Link #5
sayde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Old habits are hard to break, so it's not really a matter of mustering any willpower to continue but more a mustering of willpower to break a strong habit. In which it doesn't really matter what Kubo does because at the end of the day, it's only about 3 minutes of our time per week and it's good conversation/joke material.
So are you saying that there really isn't anything that could possibly happen in this series that would make it a lot easier for you to suddenly be able to break the habit? I think if you thought about it enough, there's probably something--or maybe even a multitude of things combined that would do the job.
Old 2011-10-15, 11:21   Link #6
Chiisai Kuma
*Artist

ive invested over 200 of my own money into the series by buying the DVDs and 33 manga volumes. m stickig through with this series, but i might quit if kubo swings towards ichixhime, im talking they become boyfriend and girlfriend, i really hate orahime.

sig made by the wonderful Godlike1889
http://forums.animesuki.com/member.php?u=80506
Old 2011-10-15, 11:24   Link #7
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayde View Post
So are you saying that there really isn't anything that could possibly happen in this series that would make it a lot easier for you to suddenly be able to break the habit? I think if you thought about it enough, there's probably something--or maybe even a multitude of things combined that would do the job.
The only thing I could possibly think of is if it's no longer good conversation/joke material. How that would come about, I'm not sure.
Old 2011-10-15, 12:00   Link #8
maewie

Hmm..good question. I think i continue following bleach because of shipping, the characters and the interest in the world generally.

However, as people suggest here; if there is a new Fake Karakura-battle or Ichihime becomes real, then i might consider dropping the series.
Old 2011-10-15, 12:44   Link #9
Lord of Pandemonium
Banned

Location: I'm Dancing & Yelling GANBATTE KAGURA! YOU GO GET YOUR WOMAN BACK!!!!! SHIPPING THEM HARD
Quote:
Originally Posted by maewie View Post
Ichihime becomes real, then i might consider dropping the series.
If that happens I might bang my head against a wall till I almost die...unless I see some real development that isn't one sided. If that happens I start shipping IchiHime.

The only way I'd ever quit Bleach is if my favorite character wasn't in the manga any longer. ...then I'd quit. otherwise I am a Bleach fan till I die
Old 2011-10-15, 13:06   Link #10
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Wow, lotsa hate for Orihime I see. What did she do to deserve this? ^_^

Anyway, I might totally drop this manga/series if KT decides to make Karin & Yuzu or Ichigo's schoolmates into shinigamis. Tbh, I had enough with shinigamis.

Also, is it possible to be a 'Bleach-fan-of-just-the-Karakura-&-SS-arcs'? ^_^
Old 2011-10-15, 13:09   Link #11
sayde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Pandemonium View Post
The only way I'd ever quit Bleach is if my favorite character wasn't in the manga any longer. ...then I'd quit.
Call me dense, but just who is that again?
Old 2011-10-15, 13:11   Link #12
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Well if it takes a break for 2-3 months probably would do it.

Alternatively if it kills all the good characters, like Rukia, Ken, etc and leaves us with just Ichigo and a load of new bullshit characters, that would probably do it too.
Old 2011-10-15, 13:27   Link #13
james0246

I've taken breaks on occasion, but I really don't think I could be truly driven away if for no other reason than the series is ridiculously easy to read (taking, at most, 8 minutes to fully read each individual chapter).

edit: Wait, I just thought of one thing that could drive me away: the death (or at least further ignoring) of Karin. .
Old 2011-10-15, 14:22   Link #14
Alchemist007
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by maewie View Post
Ichihime becomes real, then i might consider dropping the series.
Ah, but then my suspected series ending is to be your dropping point? That's what I call tactical trolling. Keep'm till the end, good on ya KT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Pandemonium View Post
If that happens I start shipping IchiHime.
I almost find that hard to believe. I think if it does happen it will be as instantaneously as in Dragon Ball, it comes down to Kubo's inner Toriyama.
Old 2011-10-15, 14:25   Link #15
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
edit: Wait, I just thought of one thing that could drive me away: the death (or at least further ignoring) of Karin. .
Who was that again?
Old 2011-10-15, 15:07   Link #16
Kallen4life

Quote:
it's only about 3 minutes of our time per week and it's good conversation/joke material.
this

sometimes it's really like 1 minute for a chapter

not kidding
We are Blackwatch
We are the last line of defense
We will burn our own to hold the red line, it is the last line to ever hold
Old 2011-10-15, 15:12   Link #17
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallen4life View Post
sometimes it's really like 1 minute for a chapter

not kidding
Yeah the Ichigo heavy ones. Who the hell even reads his nonsense anymore.

It never once made a difference what he says. And he says pretty much the same thing.
Old 2011-10-15, 17:02   Link #18
Aqua Knight

I think I will never abandon Bleach in terms of manga, I always wait for the new chapter to come out even if the previous was total shit, hoping something better would be written.
In anime I take breaks sometimes when I have plenty of other series to watch.
Old 2011-10-15, 19:06   Link #19
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Just like Haak wrote, it's more about trying to give up a bad habbit instead of finding reason to keep going on.
I've stuck with it this long, it would have to take some really serious sh*t to give it up but I know that really wouldn't come.

Altho ever since the timeskip, I'd now have to eco james0246 on soemthing bad happening or in another way nothing happening at all with Karin.
But I guess instead of stop reading all togther I would wait till a number of chapters were out and then read a bunch at a time, which then leads to me not posting anything about the series then on.

In the case of the anime, I never really kept with it. I think it was somewhere in the middle of teh HM arc I stopped and only just picked up the anime again with new acr starting so....yea I skipped a great deal of it.

Whether or not I try to keep up with the anime once again I don't know but the manga is easy to read and doesn't take up much time at all.
Old 2011-10-15, 19:28   Link #20
sayde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
I've stuck with it this long, it would have to take some really serious sh*t to give it up
...like?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
but I know that really wouldn't come.
Even if the things you come up with are extremely unlikely to happen, I do encourage you and (others of you who feel similarly) to share anyways if you can. It's partially what I'd hope would make this topic more interesting (or funny even).

Last edited by sayde; 2011-10-15 at 19:45.
Closed Thread