AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2014-05-06, 03:32   Link #1261
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Phosphorus naturally reacts with oxygen (the natural glow given by a phosphorescent object is a sign of this reaction), so when you set a WP-enhanced bomb ablaze, particles of burning WP will increase the incendiary effect, consume a great amount of oxygen (possibly fanning the flames while asphyxiating human targets) and inflict third-degree burns on bystanders. Once the phosphorus seeps into your bloodstream through your wounds, organ poisoning begins.
Old 2014-05-06, 19:53   Link #1262
vincent_marata07

What happen to Itami in the 3rd gaiden and spoiler for this story?

http://i.imgur.com/51gVYjI.jpg
vincent_marata07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-06, 20:11   Link #1263
ZeKeR
Superbad

he got conscripted voluntarily became a dragon knight
Old 2014-05-07, 05:45   Link #1264
Top Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
More specifically, Protocol III states that they cannot be used on civilians AND military installations with (many) civvies in close proximity. Isolated military bases and troops moving throughout the countryside should legally be fair game, though some people would still frown at the use of Napalm (even more so if it's Napalm that uses white phosphorus, which is also considered an inhumane weapon) because of the bad reputation the substance gathered throughout the 20th century (esp. in Vietnam).
White phosphorus is exempted from that ban, as it states its incendiary effect is secondary, its primary being immediate smoke, and it is classified as a smoke shell. That goes for WP grenades as well.

Now the Empire might have Greek Fire, and use magic as a means of delivery. That would be nasty.
Top Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-07, 07:28   Link #1265
Breimoon

would greek fire even work on modern ways to stop fire?What do they use there in japan?
Breimoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-07, 09:02   Link #1266
ZeKeR
Superbad

isnt Greek fire simply really thick oil that continued to burn even on the water?

since there is magic inbound, I guess the empire could employ a cadre of combat magicians and afaik the usual norm for magicians in fantasy would be elemental and high level like time stop or world altering. i mean even the wizards would have a council in magical warfare, right? if put with equal atrocities, then high level curses, anything that taps into edritch knowledge as well as dark arts will automatically get them the boot AND probably, the general populace in Japan would be like Bush's great rolling war machine.
Old 2014-05-07, 09:48   Link #1267
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Sergeant View Post
White phosphorus is exempted from that ban, as it states its incendiary effect is secondary, its primary being immediate smoke, and it is classified as a smoke shell. That goes for WP grenades as well.
Please re-read what I wrote. I'm talking about Napalm and Napalm-B (some manufacturers use WP- or thermite-based mixtures to help ignite Napalm-B), not standalone WP weapons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeKeR View Post
isnt Greek fire simply really thick oil that continued to burn even on the water?
As for Greek Fire, it is widely believed to have been a petroleum derivative but the exact and complete formula (only portions of it remain, IIRC) has been lost since the fall of the Byzantine empire. It could indeed float and burn on water; some accounts even suggest that pouring water on it actually boosted the fire (possibly because the recipe included quicklime, which releases heat upon contact with water through an exothermic reaction) instead of quenching it.

The problem with imagining a hypothetical response from the Empire is that there are things that have literally disappeared from the narrative, leaving us with a lot of what-ifs. For example, the first chapter showed the Empire using orcs/goblins on the frontlines (probably for shock and awe or to serve as cannon fodder for the human legions), as well as dragon riders. But now they're nowhere to be seen even though they might've been an important facet of Imperial warfare. A possible Watsonian explanation for this discrepancy would be that the JSDF massacred them all while reconquering Ginza and protecting Alnus, and the Empire eventually had no more of these assets to fling at the gate. The extradiegetic explanation is that the author simply completely forgot about them and concentrated on other stuff. Just like how Leilei's magical replication of modern world weaponry/science fell by the wayside in favor of other plot lines.

So I'm not sure the author will explore the wizard approach even if it is plausible in-universe; right now he seems more interested in writing about the Empire citizens gawking at our technology and getting cold chills.
Old 2014-05-07, 13:41   Link #1268
Kamui04

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeKeR View Post
since there is magic inbound, I guess the empire could employ a cadre of combat magicians and afaik the usual norm for magicians in fantasy would be elemental and high level like time stop or world altering. i mean even the wizards would have a council in magical warfare, right? if put with equal atrocities, then high level curses, anything that taps into edritch knowledge as well as dark arts will automatically get them the boot AND probably, the general populace in Japan would be like Bush's great rolling war machine.
But as shown during Lelei's explanation of her advances with her master Kato. It's shown the other world magicians only amount to lower magic. And anything they can do is already surpassed by ancient technology like catapults and crossbows.

Quote:
Just like how Leilei's magical replication of modern world weaponry/science fell by the wayside in favor of other plot lines.

So I'm not sure the author will explore the wizard approach even if it is plausible in-universe; right now he seems more interested in writing about the Empire citizens gawking at our technology and getting cold chills.
An explanation of why Lelei hasn't "shown" more advances of magic + modern understanding or why she hasn't spread it is explained in spoilers previously given in this thread. But it seems it'll talked about some more later in the story. But to put it simply it's a matter of status quo and akin to what Sugawara said about chaos from flooding our world with the Empire's gold.
Kamui04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-07, 16:49   Link #1269
Top Sergeant

Quote:
Please re-read what I wrote. I'm talking about Napalm and Napalm-B (some manufacturers use WP- or thermite-based mixtures to help ignite Napalm-B), not standalone WP weapons.
Apologies!

About greek fire:

I recall an experimental science show where they were trying to recreate greek fire. They tried several formulas and none of which were wholly successful. I remember one they used included beeswax, and that had a very nasty tendency to throw itself around like boiling grease.
Old 2014-05-07, 18:38   Link #1270
Direwolf18

Greek fire is one of those things, we know they had it, we know it worked, we just have NO IDEA how they did it.

We can create things that replicate Greek Fire but its just an imitation, a different way of doing the same thing.
Direwolf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-26, 03:25   Link #1271
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

I just managed to stumble upon this gem today. I feel saddened that I can't read moonrunes, cuz otherwise I'd import the original novel format. It seems more detailed.

Anyways, from what I've read, it seems to hit the right notes to get me giddy all right.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-26, 03:32   Link #1272
GenesiD

I am interested in this. Does it have any tragic elements?
GenesiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-26, 03:55   Link #1273
Okashira
どうだろうね。ふふ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenesiD View Post
I am interested in this. Does it have any tragic elements?
This is pretty tame on that sense. Some characters have "tragedy" as their background (we even see it happen), but that never takes the center stage.
Old 2014-05-28, 03:01   Link #1274
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Rory's past is a tragic one, but it won't get to it until the gaidens.
And then we have the bunny queen.

I still haven't read the latest gaiden, gotta get to it - been busy with so many games/novels recently, it's been collecting dust since arrival.
Old 2014-05-29, 11:23   Link #1275
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Ch.37 pre-loaded on the AP server:

Spoiler:

Last edited by Renegade334; 2014-05-29 at 18:39. Reason: Correcting name in spoiler
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-29, 17:45   Link #1276
Dark Wing

Quote:
Ch.37 pre-loaded on the AP server:

Spoiler:
Is it me or dose it seem like this story is about to get kind of like game of thrones with the talk of secret alliances and back stabbing.
Old 2014-05-29, 18:38   Link #1277
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Whoops. Made a mistake, it's not Zorza, but Diabo (the long-haired prince from ch.36) I was referring to in my previous spoiler. I knew I should've re-checked his name before posting.

Fixed.
Old 2014-05-29, 19:37   Link #1278
Top Sergeant

Wow, I hadn't expected the JGSDF to build a genuine looking Age of Reason star fort! This, coupled with the disparate nature of armaments, should pretty well defeat anything the Empire can throw against it (treachery and magic not withstanding, of course!). The crossfire they could bring to bear against any attackers trying to breach the walls would be pure murder.
Old 2014-05-29, 23:04   Link #1279
Hata
時の異邦人

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Sergeant View Post
Wow, I hadn't expected the JGSDF to build a genuine looking Age of Reason star fort! This, coupled with the disparate nature of armaments, should pretty well defeat anything the Empire can throw against it (treachery and magic not withstanding, of course!). The crossfire they could bring to bear against any attackers trying to breach the walls would be pure murder.
Star (David) fort has its draw back, magic wise, as it would be apparent in novel book 4 and 5, but that is for later…

Spoiler:

probably will be made clear when translation is out.
Old 2014-05-30, 09:43   Link #1280
ZeKeR
Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hata View Post
Star (David) fort has its draw back, magic wise, as it would be apparent in novel book 4 and 5, but that is for later…

Spoiler:

probably will be made clear when translation is out.
star fort would also be easier to defend since if anything tries to attack a point, let alone try to get close from the gauntlet of 155's, mortars, preset mines and whatever the hell is in the walls to make it climb-proof (afaik base walls tend to be anti-destroyable from crashes as well as crashes with bombs), the entire point can simply be cordoned off assuming they actually even make it through. now this makes me think why are there no castles with star shaped wall design.

Yanagida's shtick reminded me during ROTC in which a Sergeant 'persuaded' a Corporal to treat him lunch. and him assuming a lightly armed recon team with Pz3's to say "we were just passing by when we happened to kill a huge ass fire dragon" will probably take a truckload of HEAT to utterly destroy it. if a single arm was blasted away, a single warhead wont really do much squat to a living breathing thing that has scales equivalent to tungsten for skin.

Last edited by ZeKeR; 2014-05-30 at 10:05.
ZeKeR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, harem, military science fiction