AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2017-08-18, 10:19   Link #1
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Short and complete LN

OK, as the thread name suggests, I was wondering whether there were any good light novel series that are SHORT and COMPLETE. Most light novel series I know of that I've enjoyed number in the teens in volume count, even series like Shieldbro where the volumes are as thick as a standard paperback. And a lot of them either haven't finished yet, or won't ever finish because the author passed away (rest in peace), or maybe even got dropped or cut short by the publishers. I was thus wondering if there were any good series with volume counts no higher than ten, preferably closer to five or six or even stand-alone, which are completed stories. Highest preference goes to those that have some manner of translation, official or otherwise, since it takes time for me to read through them in raw format. I'm pretty much fine with manga, but LNs are just a little much for my current reading level.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-18, 10:28   Link #2
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Have you tried Iris on Rainy Days?
Old 2017-08-18, 13:04   Link #3
AntonKutovoi

Fate/Zero. It's good and it's short (only four volumes).
AntonKutovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-18, 15:52   Link #4
Tenzen12

Ryouhgo Narita (Durararara!/Baccano)
-Etsusa Bridge (5 volumes) - On artifical by state abandoned island grew complicated society runned by various mafias and gangs which many people who has nowhere else to go call their home.
-Vamp (5 volumes) - Island near germany is place where humans, vampires, werewolfs and pretty much anything else live together. They have pretty good time, well ex when resident Major doesn't try kidnap, childrens of wise if tad eccentric viscount who happens to be sun loving slime vampire or doesn't try blows their castle.

Kamachi Kazuma (To aru Majutsu no Index/Heavy objects)
-Simple survey (2 volumes) - Bizarre yet highly engaging story (or more accurately stories), where border between reality and fiction became paper thin and people getting caught between both
-Zashiki Warashi of Intellectual village (9 volumes) - After collapse of Japanese economic country reoriented to high tech agriculture and with return of clean countryside Yokais became common again and various criminal organisation found way to utilise their supernatural powers for their goals. Protagonist get often caught in these stuff because... yokais really likes him. Especially female ones.
- The Circumstances Leading to Waltraute's Marriage (1 volume) - Boy fall for Valkyrie, but her being tsundere she panics and give him impossible task to fulfil, that's how these stories goes after all. Adventures of the boy soon bring attention of whole Valhalla who have nothing else to do than enthusiastically watch boys and tease (that espicialy) poor Waultraute about whole thing. Of course when Loki get involved things become much more complicated...

Mizuki Nomura (Bungaku Shoujo)
- Hikaru ga Chikyuu ni Itakoro...... (10 volumes) - Sort of retelling of Tales of Genji. MC Koremitsu is considered deliquent because his appearance (and bad temper) so he never had friends and he get haunted by ghost of effeminate playboy who despite all is as much lonely soul as Koremitsu himself and this ghost, the Hikaru, ask him fulfil promises he left behind to girls he cared for. And so cathartic story of romance and bromance begins.

They are all good, funny often manage being quite original. I recommend especially Hikaru it's darn close to being masterpiece.

Last edited by Tenzen12; 2017-08-18 at 16:05.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-18, 17:15   Link #5
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Have you tried Iris on Rainy Days?
This was my first thought when I saw this thread. I definitely second this recommendation, great one-shot novel.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote