AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2013-07-14, 23:58   Link #3701
Fenrisulfr
私たち”友達”だから

Hi guys, wow this thread seems like it's exactly what I was looking for, I'm trying to do some horrible google translation of a ln for myself to read since it'll take forever for BT to pick up and I already hit a road block in the second page lol. Does anyone know what are the usages is for 鼎(kanae)? from google I got a "three-legged kettle" and "a symbol of king or high authority" I thought the author was using it to mean "majestic or august" but now I'm not sure and he keeps using it over and over in different manners, it's confusing me.
Some lines:
鼎の両の目
鼎の手足
鼎は不敵な笑みを向けてくる
鼎はこうして一計を
昨晩はせっかく鼎が久しぶりに実家に帰ってきたのに
I would've just skip it if it wasn't vital or important but it's used like ten times in one page o.oi, if anyone can help, thanks so very much. ^_^
Fenrisulfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-15, 00:47   Link #3702
JINNSK
黒猫のウィズやってます

You're not wrong.kanae means ancient vessel generally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrisulfr View Post
Some lines:
鼎の両の目
鼎の手足
鼎は不敵な笑みを向けてくる
鼎はこうして一計を
昨晩はせっかく鼎が久しぶりに実家に帰ってきたのに
But in these cases,Kanae is character's personal name.
JINNSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-15, 00:55   Link #3703
Fenrisulfr
私たち”友達”だから

...Wow...I feel like facedesking myself for that, lol, yeah I just looked at the girl's name and you were right, thanks very much. I take too long to translate a page and already forgot the names -_-, arigatou gozaimasu.
Fenrisulfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 10:35   Link #3704
jeena32449

Some one Help me (about japanese)?
i'm looking for someone help me , my home work is about talking japanese (easy) by hangout (video) with someone in foreign for 10 minute. for sure about you profile u can fake your name and your profile. TwT
jeena32449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 10:59   Link #3705
SummeryDreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeena32449 View Post
Some one Help me (about japanese)?
i'm looking for someone help me , my home work is about talking japanese (easy) by hangout (video) with someone in foreign for 10 minute. for sure about you profile u can fake your name and your profile. TwT
I couldn't comprehend that much of your English, what can we do for you exactly? xD fake name? uuhhmm.. used some anime's name over there.. Kousaka Kirino (コーサカキリノ)for instance. xD
SummeryDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 11:36   Link #3706
jeena32449

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummeryDreams View Post
I couldn't comprehend that much of your English, what can we do for you exactly? xD fake name? uuhhmm.. used some anime's name over there.. Kousaka Kirino (コーサカキリノ)for instance. xD

lol okay , i'm student in thailand who learning japanese (just beginning). My teacher give me a homework project, that project is about to talking japanese with some group of 6 people in hangout room at Google+. I've to record Video for more than 10 minutes. I've tried to establish room in Google+ public before but most of people who joining my room are "HENTAI". I mean real "HENTAI" (some guys nude and show his XXX in front of his webcam)

About the fake name. I mean you can use your handle name not a real name. (anything is fine, you can also use KIRINO, KIRIRIN, BIRIBIRI, BLACKCAT or something like that.
jeena32449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 12:53   Link #3707
larethian

Quote:
lol okay , i'm student in thailand who learning japanese (just beginning). My teacher give me a homework project, that project is about to talking japanese with some group of 6 people in hangout room at Google+. I've to record Video for more than 10 minutes. I've tried to establish room in Google+ public before but most of people who joining my room are "HENTAI". I mean real "HENTAI" (some guys nude and show his XXX in front of his webcam)

About the fake name. I mean you can use your handle name not a real name. (anything is fine, you can also use KIRINO, KIRIRIN, BIRIBIRI, BLACKCAT or something like that.
You can join lang-8 and try to gather people there.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 13:43   Link #3708
SummeryDreams

HAHAHAHAHAHA... Can't it be not somewhere else like skype? I really want to help you but I'm kind of busy right now, perhaps I don't have a google+.. Does it need to be pure Japanese? or something like mixed English and Japanese? Maybe your teacher is one of those in webcams? xD
Old 2013-07-21, 13:44   Link #3709
SummeryDreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
You can join lang-8 and try to gather people there.
This really good as well. They've got fast replies, will teach you in no time. But she actually need to be in a verbal conversation I guess. And what she'd found out are bunch of pervys.. xD
Old 2013-07-21, 15:52   Link #3710
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Really?! man you should have taken some screenshots of those perverts and showed them to your teacher about what you had to go through for that assignment, after publishing them in 4chan and 2chan with the appropriate handles and timestamps to be traceable (just in case police officers ever decide to do their job)

Nonetheless, I think you should try some relevant IRC channels for the assignments (there used to be a pretty good one in rizon a couple of years ago), instead of social networks, random people in these new chat rooms are not particularly helpful now that they have become so popular.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 16:09   Link #3711
Zakoo

There's really something I don't manage to catch, it's the double negation, for example :

時間がないじゃないか

more or less translated as "we don't have any time". Not only I don't remember seeing such a sentence in english but I don't even understand the path of translation.

I would have been jikan ga nai desu. I would have understood "we have no time" but with the double negation it becomes weird.

Tasuketeeee
Zakoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 17:18   Link #3712
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakoo View Post
There's really something I don't manage to catch, it's the double negation, for example :

時間がないじゃないか

more or less translated as "we don't have any time". Not only I don't remember seeing such a sentence in english but I don't even understand the path of translation.

I would have been jikan ga nai desu. I would have understood "we have no time" but with the double negation it becomes weird.

Tasuketeeee
I guess it's similar to the English "isn't it?". Only, afaik in Japanese there's no hard rule you have to end with "isn't it?" for positive sentences or vice versa like in English (btw what do you call this in English again? stressing?)

Another side note is that Japan simply like their multiple negations
Old 2013-07-21, 21:04   Link #3713
Seitsuki
Onee!

そんな事ないってしょうがないじゃないと言わないでくれない?

It's glorious.
Old 2013-07-21, 23:06   Link #3714
larethian

Quote:

時間がないじゃないか

Tasuketeeee

For your example, it's like what erneiz_hyde said.

時間がない(じゃないか)
"There's no time, (isn't it)?"
"There's no time, (right)?"
"There isn't any time, (is there)?"
"(Isn't it that) we don't have any more time?"

いい(じゃないか)?
That's good, (isn't it?) / Isn't that good? (I think it is)

よくない(じゃないか)?
That's bad, (isn't it?) / Isn't that bad? (I think it is)

よくない(じゃないか)!
(I'm sure) that's bad! (you would agree right!?)

Double, triple, or multiple negations aren't hard if you learn to break it down. Here, the stumbling block might be because you aren't familiar with the use of じゃない/じゃないか/じゃん (the last one is more slangy)

"じゃない/じゃないか/じゃん" is usually used to transmit the 'ask for confirmation / seek for agreement' nuance about something that you are already relatively sure about.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-22, 08:00   Link #3715
Zakoo

Oh okay, thanks to you two. I didn't know it was used for an implicite confirmation, good I should be able to block less when reading.

Seitsuki, I truly love you, but today you managed to kill ten of my neurones, it doesn't please me at all.
Zakoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-23, 23:10   Link #3716
velderia
Former NEET.

I wish I came to this thread earlier because I have a Japanese exchange student over and it's going to be for a week. ._. Things are going pretty smoothly, she's very sweet, she can speak some English, but there are some moments where I feel like she's nodding or saying yes to be polite. There's also the thing of afraid of opening the fridge whenever you want to as a guest. I implied as much as possible that she is free to use (using words like "どうぞう" and "だいじょうぶです。") but she still seems kind of nervous take out whatever she needs and I don't want to come off as pushy. Is there an easy way to create a more relaxed atmosphere or do I need to be more patient?
velderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-24, 00:09   Link #3717
Seitsuki
Onee!

I suppose a suitable phrase would be something along the lines of えんりょうせずに/しないで(...), or maybe すきに(...)てもいいです.

I suspect however that it might simply just be an Asian thing, I was paranoid as hell during my homestays too. As long as you've clearly stated your position, I don't think you need to be too worried about it.
Old 2013-07-24, 00:39   Link #3718
velderia
Former NEET.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
I suppose a suitable phrase would be something along the lines of えんりょうせずに/しないで(...), or maybe すきに(...)てもいいです.

I suspect however that it might simply just be an Asian thing, I was paranoid as hell during my homestays too. As long as you've clearly stated your position, I don't think you need to be too worried about it.
Ohh. Thank you so much. <3
velderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-24, 16:43   Link #3719
SummeryDreams

Quote:

時間がないじゃないか

Tasuketeeee
It's not a double negation, the meaning of that is, We have no time, isn't it? japanese words are used with different meanings depending on the situation, with regards to that phrase, janai and desu was used as a substitute for the word deshou.. Though, it will be a wrong grammar if you will take away ka in there, I believe Japanese don't use double negation just like in English, not 100% sure though as I haven't seen a source. xD
Old 2013-07-24, 17:59   Link #3720
勝利は単純な魂の中に

No, you can drop the ka if you want.

Also "We have no time, isn't it?" isn't correct English.
Avatar of Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hiragana