AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2012-04-24, 03:23   Link #8221
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Jason:. View Post
Hm. I am only up to the start of the Flask Plan arc but I have a question based on what I have heard: this story arc is when it becomes a battle manga and after it finishes it goes meta for a bunch of genres, right?
Not exactly. There's still the Student Council Battle Arc coming up after the Flask Plan, which is still a Battle Shouen arc, though the characters are very, very genre savvy, and Shounen tropes are mocked at and deconstructed.

It's only in that arc after that that the action begins to slack off, and the series shifts into a very Meta Mockery of other genres, not just Shounen alone. From Slice of Life Yonkoma strips involving four Girls (like K-on, Lucky Star, etc) to "Boss" Characters. Largely driven by one very epic character.

Last edited by novalysis; 2012-04-24 at 04:06.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 04:00   Link #8222
Valid

"Akune Kouki".................. jkjk
Valid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 07:16   Link #8223
FFXFan13
Swag Level: Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
Not exactly. There's still the Student Council Battle Arc coming up after the Flask Plan, which is still a Battle Shouen arc, though the characters are very, very genre savvy, and Shounen tropes are mocked at and deconstructed.

It's only in that arc after that that the action begins to slack off, and the series shifts into a very Meta Mockery of other genres, not just Shounen alone. From Slice of Life Yonkoma strips involving four Girls (like K-on, Lucky Star, etc) to "Boss" Characters. Largely driven by one very epic character.
You mean Medaka? Or Ajimu?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valid View Post
"Akune Kouki".................. jkjk
He works too
FFXFan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 08:20   Link #8224
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFXFan13 View Post
You mean Medaka? Or Ajimu?
Ajimu of course. Mistress Troll, and no-one will ever complain about Medaka's Mary Suishness if they knew that Ajimu was coming.
Old 2012-04-24, 08:35   Link #8225
FFXFan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
Ajimu of course. Mistress Troll, and no-one will ever complain about Medaka's Mary Suishness if they knew that Ajimu was coming.
I don't know... Medaka is pretty Sue-ish, but at this point she's a Crack Sue.
Old 2012-04-24, 08:58   Link #8226
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Jason:. View Post
Hm. I am only up to the start of the Flask Plan arc but I have a question based on what I have heard: this story arc is when it becomes a battle manga and after it finishes it goes meta for a bunch of genres, right?
All you need to know is that after the Flask Plan arc Kumagawa will show up. You need not know of anything else as long as Kumagawa is present :|
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 15:46   Link #8227
orangejuicetang

Speaking of which, did we ever learn more about Kumugawa's 'trump card', 'that child', which Naze referred to when she saw the list of Minus's transferring over?

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
orangejuicetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 15:56   Link #8228
Valid

Nisio is saving that 'child' for future arcs...... I'll like to think
Valid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 16:09   Link #8229
Log
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valid View Post
Nisio is saving that 'child' for future arcs...... I'll like to think
I bet it never gets revealed in true Nisio fashion. Nisio would know be mocking forshadowed powers.
Log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 16:43   Link #8230
[HearT]

Wasn't that Ajimu?? I was under the impression that Ajimu was the 'trump card' :/

http://manga.cxcscans.com/reader/rea...n/0/92/page/18
[HearT] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 17:12   Link #8231
FFXFan13

...Ok, so what did Zenkichi and Medaka forget?
Old 2012-04-24, 17:14   Link #8232
Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFXFan13 View Post
...Ok, so what did Zenkichi and Medaka forget?
That Ajimu attended middle school with them.
Odd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 17:20   Link #8233
FFXFan13

I thought Medaka remembered that? doesn't she point out that Kumagawa "killed" her?
Old 2012-04-24, 17:40   Link #8234
Odd

I don't think so, but a link to the chapter would be appreciated if this is true.
Odd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 17:55   Link #8235
FFXFan13

Hmm... It appears as though that was my mistake, Medaka mentions that he was the President in Middle-School, but he had a Zero approval rating, that he somehow managed to pull up.

Kumagawa does mention a girl not being worth his time, but, there was no follow up on it.
Old 2012-04-24, 17:59   Link #8236
orangejuicetang

Quote:
Originally Posted by [HearT] View Post
Wasn't that Ajimu?? I was under the impression that Ajimu was the 'trump card' :/

http://manga.cxcscans.com/reader/rea...n/0/92/page/18
I thought about it, but
A. Ajimu isn't a minus, she's a not equal
B. Kumugawa's the one who sealed her away. I don't see him asking her to come over and help him out
C. The Delayed Two are two people, while 'that child' seems to be referring to one person
D. Ajimu doesn't really seem to actually have been Kumugawa's ally at any point during that arc, going by her dialogue with Kumugawa when he tried to get his bookmaker back.

It just seems iffy.

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
orangejuicetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 20:22   Link #8237
Tenchi Hou Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangejuicetang View Post
I thought about it, but
B. Kumugawa's the one who sealed her away. I don't see him asking her to come over and help him out
C. The Delayed Two are two people, while 'that child' seems to be referring to one person
D. Ajimu doesn't really seem to actually have been Kumugawa's ally at any point during that arc, going by her dialogue with Kumugawa when he tried to get his bookmaker back.

It just seems iffy.
She did help him out though, remember she gave him back bookmaker, which she was under no obligation to do. And she pretty much did serve the purpose of Kumagawa's trump card. The final battle with Medaka trump card. It just seems highly unlikely that another super powered minus would be introduced at this point in time. It pretty much serves little to no purpose. Kumagawa was pretty much portrayed as the epitome of a "minus" and really between encounter and all fiction i don't really see why their would be a need for another superpowered minus.
Tenchi Hou Take is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 20:38   Link #8238
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangejuicetang View Post
I thought about it, but

It just seems iffy.
A. Ajimu's not really a Minus, but she was technically a Minus for most of the series since she was affected by Bookmaker.

B. It's hard to read Kumagawa's motives. He says he loves her, he says he obeys her, yet he also seems more determined than anyone else to defeat her. Think about her motivations though: she wants to lose. So everything Kumagawa does is doing her a favor. Does he know this? I have no idea, but I don't think he hates her either. The old "Kumagawa realized she was the final boss and attacked her" theory just doesn't make much sense to me.

C. Ajimu's clearly the more important of the two. Hanten is "just there". It wouldn't be wrong to say "Ajimu and the other guy".

D. Ajimu is no one's ally, but no one's enemy either. "Such a thing as an enemy does not exist in this world." She'd probably have been interested in helping Kumagwa win against Medaka for the same reason she helped Zenkichi, but it was too late by the time she got there. Based on her dialog with Chairman Shiranui, it sounds like she fully intended to join class -13, but decided not to because the battle was already over.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-25, 00:16   Link #8239
Sol Falling

Kumagawa's "delayed two" was undoubtedly Hanten and Ajimu. If you remember the aftermath of Kumagawa and Medaka's President battle, Maguro mentions that he would have asked Kumagawa to stay even if Medaka never made him Vice President. The explanation he gave for this was precisely because Naze had confided in him about the "delayed two" in the list he saw, and Maguro mentioned that he did indeed remember the identity of Ajimu. The question of the whole "delayed two" issue was already resolved at that point in the story.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-25, 01:51   Link #8240
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Kumagawa's "delayed two" was undoubtedly Hanten and Ajimu. If you remember the aftermath of Kumagawa and Medaka's President battle, Maguro mentions that he would have asked Kumagawa to stay even if Medaka never made him Vice President. The explanation he gave for this was precisely because Naze had confided in him about the "delayed two" in the list he saw, and Maguro mentioned that he did indeed remember the identity of Ajimu. The question of the whole "delayed two" issue was already resolved at that point in the story.
But still not that of the "Child", which is where the whole argument, I believe originated in.

Though if Nisio does intend to drag Medaka Box out for 300-400 Chapters, the Child will almost certainly be a plot-point. Though I'd imagine it may well be after the graduation of Kumugawa.

Then again, there's still quite a few genres Nisio hasn't taken a sledgehammer to. For one, Seinen. And Medaka Box can easily veer of into that direction. Indeed, I wonder what happens to abnormals in the wider, adult world. Certainly, Medaka's shaping up to be one of the most prominent figure in that community. The "wider" garden provides still alot of fuel for plot, of which the Jet Black Bride Arc hopefully is only an entrance arc into a Post High School setting.

Then again, Nisio might choose to end this soon too, rather than moving that far out of Shounen territory. But Medaka Box is a setting very rich in Seinen themes, if the author wants to go in there.

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council